ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2020, 11:19 AM   #81
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I support Cancel-Trump culture.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:20 AM   #82
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Maybe triggered is the better word for it
Nope, I don't have PTSD. As I said you're really bad at this.

Quote:
and yes it is an import to America.
Nope. It's existed since the dawn of civilisation. Maybe even before.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:26 AM   #83
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Stating that Republican is hypocrite is like stating water is wet.
You mean any politician.
For some of us, its a question of degrees.

Yes, if you look around, I am sure you can find examples of various Democrats engaging in hypocrisy/double standards. The difference between the democrats and the republicans is the degree to which they engage in it. (At least in recent history.)

We are not talking about some low-level democratic congress critter who has engaged in double standards over some minor issue, we are talking about Donald Trump (the republican president), who has engaged in some very extreme rhetoric, on BOTH sides of the issue, both loudly complaining about cancel culture AND repeatedly engaging in the same cancel-culture himself. How many times has he complained about "cancel culture"? And how many times has he complained about athletes kneeling during the anthem?

And of course, this isn't the first time Trump has engaged in such hypocrisy... his statements about 'law and order' while at the same time giving pardons/commutations to friends, his claims of Biden's mental decline when he can't speak for 5 minutes without his mind wandering into some bizarre incomprehensible rant, his demands that people respect the flag while at the same time he humps them, his complaints about Obama golfing and issuing executive orders while he ends up golfing more often and uses executive orders more often than Obama did in his first term.

And republicans seem to be completely fine with that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 11:27 AM   #84
chrispy
Muse

Maybe triggered is the better word for it, and yes it is an import to America. Likely the libs are in on it to. Look at how they tried destabilizing Portland and Seattle.
What in the honest to god **** are you talking about?
Old 12th August 2020, 12:03 PM   #85
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Brain worms
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:06 PM   #86
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Liberal anitfa thugs attempts to destabilize and take over Seattle and Portland, duh..... true acts of treason.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:07 PM   #87
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Liberal anitfa thugs attempts to destabilize and take over Seattle and Portland, duh..... true acts of treason.
Ever going to go back to the thread you started and answer everyone's questions?
Old 12th August 2020, 12:09 PM   #88
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ever going to go back to the thread you started and answer everyone's questions?
that has nothing to do with this thread.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:10 PM   #89
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

that has nothing to do with this thread.
There's nothing stopping you from going to the other thread.
Old 12th August 2020, 12:11 PM   #90
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
There's nothing stopping you from going to the other thread.
There's nothing stopping obsession with other threads. Be in the now!
Old 12th August 2020, 12:23 PM   #91
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The only act of treason I saw were supposedly civil servants who betrayed their oaths and were clearly more loyal to Trump than their nation. We all have a choice, the country or Trump. You can't be a patriot and follow Trump. The time is long past where you can be both. So what about it, are you loyal to Trump or the Nation?
Old 12th August 2020, 12:31 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The only act of treason I saw were supposedly civil servants who betrayed their oaths and were clearly more loyal to Trump than their nation. We all have a choice, the country or Trump. You can't be a patriot and follow Trump. The time is long past where you can be both. So what about it, are you loyal to Trump or the Nation?
Now, now....GOD has chosen Trump to lead the Nation. Are you against GOD?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 12:51 PM   #93
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. True acts of treason are preventing members of the government from working with Congress. True acts of treason are ignoring judicial orders. True acts of treason are withholding foreign aid on the condition they investigate your political opponent. True acts of treason are being Putin's bitch.

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th August 2020 at 12:53 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:39 PM   #94
Belz...
Fiend God

That's a very scary fantasy. I hope you find what you need to step out of it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:57 PM   #95
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Bumping because Rocky must have missed it, seeing as they are generally ready, willing and able to answer pertinent questions.

Right?

Please bear in mind that the thread topic directly involves Trump, and that repeating Orange Man Bad like a parrot on meth doesn't further the discussion.
Third request, Rocky. It's not a hard question. A simple yes/no will suffice. Here, you don't even need to scroll up:
Do you agree that Trump's comments about Kaepernick (and other kneelers) was the epitome of cancel culture?
I'm left to assume that in your view, when Dear Leader does it, that's somehow different. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

Granted, it is different. When Dear Leader plays Canceler-in-Chief, as he constantly does, it's in a different league. The person will receive death threats. They will need to be concerned for their personal safety and the safety of family members. Cancellation on steroids.
Old 12th August 2020, 02:02 PM   #96
Masque
Scholar

Originally Posted by acbytesla
I find this laughable. In my state, ...A corporation coerced employees to donate to Republican candidates and if they didn't, they were fired.
Prove that ever happened.
I don't know where acbytesla resides, but does Ohio count? The subject of the article ( https://newrepublic.com/article/1081...ney-benefactor ) is Robert Murray, CEO of Murray Mining:

"Employees have given the nominee more than $120,000. In August, Romney used Murray’s Century Mine in the town of Beallsville for a speech attacking Barack Obama as anti-coal. This fall, scenes from that event—several dozen coal-smudged Murray miners standing behind the candidate in a tableau framed by a giant American flag and a COAL COUNTRY STANDS WITH MITT placard—have shown up in a Romney ad."
"The ads aired even after Ohio papers reported what I was told by several miners at the event, a bit of news that an internal memo confirms: The crowd was not there of its own accord. Murray had suspended Century’s operations and made clear to workers that they were expected to attend, without pay."
"The accounts of two sources who have worked in managerial positions at the firm, and a review of letters and memos to Murray employees, suggest that coercion may also explain Murray staffers’ financial support for Romney. Murray, it turns out, has for years pressured salaried employees to give to the Murray Energy political action committee (PAC) and to Republican candidates chosen by the company. Internal documents show that company officials track who is and is not giving. The sources say that those who do not give are at risk of being demoted or missing out on bonuses, claims Murray denies."

"The Murray sources, who requested anonymity for fear of retribution, came forward separately. But they painted similar pictures of the fund-raising operation. “There’s a lot of coercion,” says one of them. “I just wanted to work, but you feel this constant pressure that, if you don’t contribute, your job’s at stake. You’re compelled to do this whether you want to or not.” Says the second: “They will give you a call if you’re not giving. . . . It’s expected you give Mr. Murray what he asks for.”
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 02:24 PM   #97
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Are you talking about this Murray?!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Amazing! I didn't think he actually existed in real life!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 02:43 PM   #98
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I AGREE

I AGREE

Have you seen John Oliver on Murray and Eat **** Bob?
Old 12th August 2020, 02:47 PM   #99
Venom
Illuminator

So now if you're anti Trump you're pro Cancel Culture. Both sides continue to suck.
Something tells me if mainstream Democrats really embraced the loopy left like the Republicans do the hard right you would be a lot more forceful against the behavior coming out of the White House.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 03:34 PM   #100
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I can see that Birx and Fauci just got cancelled: Trump adds coronavirus adviser who echoes his unscientific claims (CNN, Aug. 12, 2020)

I'm a little disappointed. I had hoped for the demon-sperm lady, but I guess she wasn't available.
Old 12th August 2020, 04:13 PM   #101
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Isn't that the very definition of what he is now decrying?
Not for me to say - "cancel culture" is a far-right term, so it's up to them to come up with a definition. So far, I've seen it used for

Cyberbullying among high-schoolers;
People recorded shouting slurs and cussing in public losing their jobs;
Famous people losing their jobs for inoffensive behavior;
People being banned from platforms for violating TOS;
Organized boycotts;
Disorganized boycotts;
and criticisms of politicians and celebrities.

Until they make up their minds, it's just a sneer term, like "Social Justice Warrior" or "Virtue Signaling".
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:15 PM   #102
Masque
Scholar

I AGREE

I AGREE

Just when you think humanity can't sink any lower, Nature pulls Bob Murray out of its ass.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:18 PM   #103
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I can see that Birx and Fauci just got cancelled: Trump adds coronavirus adviser who echoes his unscientific claims (CNN, Aug. 12, 2020)

I'm a little disappointed. I had hoped for the demon-sperm lady, but I guess she wasn't available.
I read the article.

I truly hate our president.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:37 PM   #104
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I read the article.

You're not the only one. I despise him with a passion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 05:33 PM   #105
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Not for me to say - "cancel culture" is a far-right term, so it's up to them to come up with a definition.
Well Trump helpfully offered a definition of the term in his Mt.Rushmore speech. I quoted it in the OP. "Cancel culture" according to Trump means "driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees."

Quote:
"One of their political weapons is 'cancel culture' -- driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees. This is the very definition of totalitarianism, and it is completely alien to our culture and our values, and it has absolutely no place in the United States of America," Trump said in a July 3 speech at Mount Rushmore.
Well it turns out that his own past behavior falls squarely within the definition of the term as he defined it, which makes him a totalitarian according to his own criteria.
Old 12th August 2020, 05:47 PM   #106
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Have you seen John Oliver on Murray and Eat **** Bob?
It's in the first video.

Old 12th August 2020, 06:15 PM   #107
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I read the article.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You're not the only one. I despise him with a passion.
See, this is where you are going wrong. Trump is merely the result of where the Republican Party (which used to be my party) has been going for at least 50 years. All the racism, the xenophobia, the hatred of the poor and oppressed far predates Trump. And the love of the wealthy goes back even further.

Any other Republican elected in 2016 would have enacted the exact same tax cuts for the wealthy and appointed exactly the same far-right Federal Judges. And take pretty much the same actions against immigrants. They'd just have been more subtle abouot it. Trump doesn't do subtle.

Don't blame Trump. Blame the party that made him.

In a way, he's done us a favor, by making it more obvious why we need to vote those buggers out.
Old 12th August 2020, 06:22 PM   #108
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
See, this is where you are going wrong. Trump is merely the result of where the Republican Party (which used to be my party) has been going for at least 50 years. All the racism, the xenophobia, the hatred of the poor and oppressed far predates Trump. And the love of the wealthy goes back even further.

Any other Republican elected in 2016 would have enacted the exact same tax cuts for the wealthy and appointed exactly the same far-right Federal Judges. And take pretty much the same actions against immigrants. They'd just have been more subtle abouot it. Trump doesn't do subtle.

In a way, he's done us a favor, by making it more obvious why we need to vote those buggers out.
Those aren't the reasons I hate him., but general hatred of Trump is for other threads.

In terms of cancel culture, his seizing on things like athletes and the flag, and his strong tendency to demonize people who disagree with him, while promoting sycophants has a lot more to do with why I hate him.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:11 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Did I say anywhere that I have any respect for the GOP? I don't and haven't had for a long time before Trump emerged on the scene.
Old 12th August 2020, 08:19 PM   #110
Mumbles
Philosopher

Well Trump helpfully offered a definition of the term in his Mt.Rushmore speech. I quoted it in the OP. "Cancel culture" according to Trump means "driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees."

Well it turns out that his own past behavior falls squarely within the definition of the term as he defined it, which makes him a totalitarian according to his own criteria.
I was considering what the right, overall, means - let's be honest, Dolt 45 is never at all consistent or thoughtful, so a definition from him is liable to change wildly from moment to moment anyway.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 04:10 AM   #111
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Third request, Rocky. It's not a hard question. A simple yes/no will suffice. Here, you don't even need to scroll up:
Do you agree that Trump's comments about Kaepernick (and other kneelers) was the epitome of cancel culture?
I'm left to assume that in your view, when Dear Leader does it, that's somehow different. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

Granted, it is different. When Dear Leader plays Canceler-in-Chief, as he constantly does, it's in a different league. The person will receive death threats. They will need to be concerned for their personal safety and the safety of family members. Cancellation on steroids.
Third time denied, the thread is about cancel culture and the fact the dreadful Orange Man called it out, not about him using it. Try to stay focused.
Old 13th August 2020, 04:12 AM   #112
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Not for me to say - "cancel culture" is a far-right term, so it's up to them to come up with a definition. So far, I've seen it used for

Cyberbullying among high-schoolers;
People recorded shouting slurs and cussing in public losing their jobs;
Famous people losing their jobs for inoffensive behavior;
People being banned from platforms for violating TOS;
Organized boycotts;
Disorganized boycotts;
and criticisms of politicians and celebrities.

Until they make up their minds, it's just a sneer term, like "Social Justice Warrior" or "Virtue Signaling".
proving you embrace this nonsense.

The whole SJW BS line is the core of Cancel Culture, which is an over extension of PC culture which comes from the far LEFT.
Old 13th August 2020, 04:14 AM   #113
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

which is his delusion, cancel culture is a PC mechanism of the left, despite teh gaslighting by some in this thread.
Old 13th August 2020, 04:15 AM   #114
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

As opposed to the Left which obsesses on Race to keep them down so they can continue to pretend to "protect" them from the Right. Ok...
Old 13th August 2020, 04:33 AM   #115
Belz...
Fiend God

Third time denied, the thread is about cancel culture and the fact the dreadful Orange Man called it out, not about him using it.
And yet he used it, so he's being hypocritical.

Quote:
Try to stay focused.
Hey, someone used that on me. I should use it too!

Old 13th August 2020, 04:34 AM   #116
Belz...
Fiend God

As opposed to the Left which obsesses on Race to keep them down so they can continue to pretend to "protect" them from the Right. Ok...
No, you've got that wrong to, to no one's surprise.

The 'left' tries to lift minorities up. The problem comes when the more radical ones define minorities as oppressed, which makes it impossible to ever lift them up, by definition. It's just as condescending, mind you.

Old 13th August 2020, 04:36 AM   #117
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No, you've got that wrong to, to no one's surprise.

The 'left' tries to lift minorities up. The problem comes when the more radical ones define minorities as oppressed, which makes it impossible to ever lift them up, by definition. It's just as condescending, mind you.
No they don't, they need them where they are to let their narative continue. Go to Youtube and search #walkway. Very telling. The left is much of the problem, Trump is a temporary anomalie.
Old 13th August 2020, 04:59 AM   #118
Belz...
Fiend God

No they don't, they need them where they are to let their narative continue.
So you say. I've not seen any indication that it is true.

Quote:
Go to Youtube and search #walkway.
Why, will it produce an opinion by a right-winger who thinks he has it all figured out6

Old 13th August 2020, 05:01 AM   #119
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So you say. I've not seen any indication that it is true.

Why, will it produce an opinion by a right-winger who thinks he has it all figured out6
Or you go look, series of videos by an African American Woman calling out White Liberals among others for their bullsh****t
Old 13th August 2020, 05:11 AM   #120
Belz...
Fiend God

Or you go look, series of videos by an African American Woman calling out White Liberals among others for their bullsh****t
Opinions are not evidence. I'm not doing your own legwork for you, and you won't drag me down to your level of proof.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics