ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th August 2020, 05:13 AM   #121
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Opinions are not evidence. I'm not doing your own legwork for you, and you won't drag me down to your level of proof.
All you're offering is opinion, just like every leftie here, so if you can't even consider what's on the other side mind, you're stuck in a little bubble, negating your opinion.

The left has a long history of not owning up to their own failings.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:16 AM   #122
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
All you're offering is opinion, just like every leftie here, so if you can't even consider what's on the other side mind, you're stuck in a little bubble, negating your opinion.
You wouldn't know a "leftie" if one fell on you.

Quote:
The right has a long history of celebrating its failings with flags and parades, and making them policy.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:34 AM   #123
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

As opposed to the Left which obsesses on Race to keep them down so they can continue to pretend to "protect" them from the Right. Ok...
Wait a sec. Aren't you the poster who asked that I try to focus? (That's rhetorical. I get that answering questions isn't your thing.)

When cornered, you turn to generic political neenering. That's not what the thread is about. The topic is Trump and "cancel culture". Trump's hypocrisy is entirely on topic, and your refusal to engage tells me all I need to know. Thank you. That said, try to focus.
Old 13th August 2020, 05:37 AM   #124
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Wait a sec. Aren't you the poster who asked that I try to focus? (That's rhetorical. I get that answering questions isn't your thing.)

When cornered, you turn to generic political neenering. That's not what the thread is about. The topic is Trump and "cancel culture". Trump's hypocrisy is entirely on topic, and your refusal to engage tells me all I need to know. Thank you. That said, try to focus.
Belz went off nonsensical script, I merely responded. You fail.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:43 AM   #125
Joe Random
Master Poster

Meth : not even once.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:46 AM   #126
Belz...
Fiend God

All you're offering is opinion, just like every leftie here
Oh, I'm a leftie today? How nice.

Quote:
so if you can't even consider what's on the other side mind, you're stuck in a little bubble, negating your opinion.
Opinions don't negate each other. But it's not an opinion that Trump has tried to cancel people he disagrees with. It's a fact. So clearly I have more than opinions.

You made a claim, however. It's up to you to support it.

Quote:
That's like saying that idiots have a long history of eating meat. So does everyone else.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:48 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

Belz went off nonsensical script
Someone has to try to steer you back to the discussion.

Do you even know what "going off script" means?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 05:55 AM   #128
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Someone has to try to steer you back to the discussion.

Do you even know what "going off script" means?
With you I guess it means lying outright about the failure of the left, as opposed to Trump's own faults since of course, it's both sides that suck.
Old 13th August 2020, 06:07 AM   #129
Belz...
Fiend God

With you I guess it means lying outright about the failure of the left
Cool, quote me lying.

Quote:
as opposed to Trump's own faults since of course, it's both sides that suck.
In the same way that getting kicked in the nuts and nuked both suck.

Old 13th August 2020, 06:07 AM   #130
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Cool, quote me lying.

Read the thread. Duh.
Old 13th August 2020, 06:15 AM   #131
Belz...
Fiend God

Read the thread. Duh.
Quote me or you're lying.

Old 13th August 2020, 06:25 AM   #132
Armitage72
Illuminator

You can't gaslight anyone in this thread, rocky. We're all aware that Trump has used the exact same "culture", Trump is therefore FOR cancel culture when it suits him and AGAIN it when it's not, and it's also therefore possible to be in favour or both or against both.

You can deny that all you want but no one but you will buy it.

It's the exact same argument that we kept seeing here during the Meuller investigation. "Second verse, same as the first."

He supported the Iraq invasion, so if you were against the invasion, you must have been against the investigation, and if you supported the investigation, you must have supported the invasion. 100% one way or the other, no exceptions.

It reminds me of the people who horrified Alan Moore by reading "Watchmen" and concluding that Rorschach's black-and-white attitudes and behavior made him an admirable role-model rather than a dangerous lunatic.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 06:37 AM   #133
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's the exact same argument that we kept seeing here during the Meuller investigation. "Second verse, same as the first."

He supported the Iraq invasion, so if you were against the invasion, you must have been against the investigation, and if you supported the investigation, you must have supported the invasion. 100% one way or the other, no exceptions.

It reminds me of the people who horrified Alan Moore by reading "Watchmen" and concluding that Rorschach's black-and-white attitudes and behavior made him an admirable role-model rather than a dangerous lunatic.
That made absolutely no sense. You should try again.
Old 13th August 2020, 06:42 AM   #134
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

proving you embrace this nonsense.

The whole SJW BS line is the core of Cancel Culture, which is an over extension of PC culture which comes from the far LEFT.
But it's just a rebirth of tactics from the McCarthy era, which was from the far RIGHT.

The left doesn't have a monopoly here. That term was invented to describe left leaning activity, but anyone from across the political spectrum can play, and our beloved President is right there in the thick of it.

"You should not let him play football because he did something during the national anthem" is perfect cancel culture mentality.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 06:44 AM   #135
Mumbles
Philosopher

The whole SJW BS line is the core of Cancel Culture, which is an over extension of PC culture which comes from the far LEFT.
Well, that was gibberish.

Lemme help you out a little: this entire thing started when black twitter started using the hashtag #cancelCosby. The meaning here was actually simple - Bill Cosby was holding a comedy tour, to raise money ahead of his rape trial. Black Twitter wanted the tour dates cancelled. Simple, straightforward use of the word.

When that was done, the right, as they often do, grabbed the term, stepped the word "culture" after it, and began screaming about the nebulous threat. Not the first time - eg, "woke culture", another nonsense term taken from the phrase "stay woke" ie. aware of white supremacism.

So, since they invented the phrase "cancel culture", I figure it's up to them to define it.

As opposed to the Left which obsesses on Race to keep them down so they can continue to pretend to "protect" them from the Right. Ok...
Ah, there's the old disdain for the intelligence of nonwhite people that I was expecting. And of course, the laughable claim that it's "the left" that's obsessed with race. Um, couple of things

First, it's Americans as a group that are obsessed with the sociopolitical construct of "race" that they invented. Not "the right", not "the left" not "white people" not "black people". Granted, as usual, it's "the right" that obsesses out of fear more than anything else, whether white (eg. the KKK, the modern republican party) or black (eg. the Nation of Islam, the New Black Panther Party) or whatever.

Second, it's not "the right" or "the left" that tries to uplift all nonwhite people. For the most part, that's been...well, it's been black people, specifically the more leftwing black civil rights groups. This is why you'll see, for example, Black Lives Matter joining the DAPL protestors, or marching when Justine Damond was killed by a black cop. And since the modern GOP has decided to completely reject the foundational idea of democracy, while civil rights activists view themselves as the group that forced the US to become an actual democracy, it's only natural that they fully oppose the GOP.

Thus, the massive opposition to Dolt 45.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:02 AM   #136
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

Lemme help you out a little: this entire thing started when black twitter started using the hashtag #cancelCosby. The meaning here was actually simple - Bill Cosby was holding a comedy tour, to raise money ahead of his rape trial. Black Twitter wanted the tour dates cancelled. Simple, straightforward use of the word.

When that was done, the right, as they often do, grabbed the term, stepped the word "culture" after it, and began screaming about the nebulous threat. Not the first time - eg, "woke culture", another nonsense term taken from the phrase "stay woke" ie. aware of white supremacism.

So, since they invented the phrase "cancel culture", I figure it's up to them to define it.

Ah, there's the old disdain for the intelligence of nonwhite people that I was expecting. And of course, the laughable claim that it's "the left" that's obsessed with race. Um, couple of things

First, it's Americans as a group that are obsessed with the sociopolitical construct of "race" that they invented. Not "the right", not "the left" not "white people" not "black people". Granted, as usual, it's "the right" that obsesses out of fear more than anything else, whether white (eg. the KKK, the modern republican party) or black (eg. the Nation of Islam, the New Black Panther Party) or whatever.

Second, it's not "the right" or "the left" that tries to uplift all nonwhite people. For the most part, that's been...well, it's been black people, specifically the more leftwing black civil rights groups. This is why you'll see, for example, Black Lives Matter joining the DAPL protestors, or marching when Justine Damond was killed by a black cop. And since the modern GOP has decided to completely reject the foundational idea of democracy, while civil rights activists view themselves as the group that forced the US to become an actual democracy, it's only natural that they fully oppose the GOP.

He'll never get you Mumbles. You used complete sentences and and a few multiple syllable words. People regularly provide detailed explanations why Trump is incompetent and this poster responds like Tarzan.

"Me Rocky, you don't like Trump. Orange man bad you say" and pretty much nothing else.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:18 AM   #137
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

No that's the great LIE. Leftist lie. Keep the racial game going so you have a platform, because without it, all those SJW losers have nothing to say. Every Leftist is a useless cog in an even larger machine, all should be wiped from the board.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:19 AM   #138
Masque
Scholar

Prove that ever happened.
A little while ago, in response to a post by acbytesla, you demanded proof that Republican owned businesses coerced their employees into donating money to select Republican candidates. I assumed you made this demand because you held a view that Republicans don't do this sort of thing, or do it only in response to actions by Democrats, and that you wanted proof before you would reconsider your opinion. I have provided the requested proof, which I might note, dates from a time before Republicans started claiming anything about "cancel culture". Would you now care to own up to your opinion having been incorrect? I, for one, would be interested to know how you see this change of opinion affecting other views you might hold.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:24 AM   #139
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Masque View Post
A little while ago, in response to a post by acbytesla, you demanded proof that Republican owned businesses coerced their employees into donating money to select Republican candidates. I assumed you made this demand because you held a view that Republicans don't do this sort of thing, or do it only in response to actions by Democrats, and that you wanted proof before you would reconsider your opinion. I have provided the requested proof, which I might note, dates from a time before Republicans started claiming anything about "cancel culture". Would you now care to own up to your opinion having been incorrect? I, for one, would be interested to know how you see this change of opinion affecting other views you might hold.
He'll just dismiss it as fake news.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:26 AM   #140
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

No that's the great LIE. Leftist lie. Keep the racial game going so you have a platform, because without it, all those SJW losers have nothing to say. Every Leftist is a useless cog in an even larger machine, all should be wiped from the board.
In other words, cancel them.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:28 AM   #141
Masque
Scholar

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He'll just dismiss it as fake news.
Hope springs eternal.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:29 AM   #142
Belz...
Fiend God

Genocidal fantasies aside, do you have an actual point or argument to make? Because so far you're just voicing alternate reality scenarios that you can't prove.

Old 13th August 2020, 07:30 AM   #143
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Youíre an angry little man, arenít you?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:30 AM   #144
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wait are both sides "equally bad" or is the Left all losers who should be wiped off the face of the Earth?

Could you please pick a troll persona and stick with it?
Old 13th August 2020, 07:44 AM   #145
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

More like time for the revolution. But at least you've moved on from repeating yourself.
Old 13th August 2020, 07:49 AM   #146
RedStapler
Muse

Woah, why don't you ask the forum team to be banned forever? Takes less time and the outcome will be the same. And you will then have plenty of time for the therapist you need.

Regarding your childish tantrums in here and the "SJW" insult you constantly use: YOU are the SJW here.

Last edited by RedStapler; 13th August 2020 at 07:51 AM.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 07:58 AM   #147
Distracted1
Illuminator

Sounds like it.
Attack the argument-not the arguer, good advice.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:07 AM   #148
Mumbles
Philosopher

I kinda like the idea that "the Leftists" have all formed up like Voltron to defend or attack...something in your imagination. It actually sounds pretty cool. And I can see you sitting there, all tiny, ranting like "My Robeasts will wipe Leftron off the map MWUAHAHAHA!!!" Odd that you've apparently made yourself out to be the bad guy, but hey, your fantasy.

But you're just adding to your problems. Like I said, "Social Justice Warrior" isn't actually a decently defined term, either. Whenever I see someone use it, it's rightwingers describing

the same handful of white women with died hair from five years ago
Black Panther and Captain Marvel
the latest iteration of some children's cartoon (last one was She-Ra - they were enraged that she didn't have a giant rack)
some nebulous group that caused women/black people/LGBT people to magically appear in games, movies, and tv shows,
Other right-wingers they disagree with

Among many others. So again, which is it?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 08:08 AM   #149
Belz...
Fiend God

But you're just adding to your problems. Like I said, "Social Justice Warrior" isn't actually a decently defined term, either. Whenever I see someone use it, it's rightwingers describing
To be fair, it describes (perhaps somewhat nebulous) left-wing ideologies.

Old 13th August 2020, 08:14 AM   #150
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That made absolutely no sense. You should try again.

I'm assuming that you're being facetious in emulation of another poster, but I'm happy to elaborate.
For some people, tribalism has reached the point that they cannot conceive of supporting a person or group at a particular point in time in response to a particular action, and condemning the same person or group at a different point in time in response to a different action. Support or condemnation has to be unconditional and constant. It is impossible to have two different opinions about someone at two different points in time over two different things they've done. For or against, forever. And if you oppose someone, you automatically support anyone who opposes them, no matter who they are and what they've done. We saw how well that line of thinking worked with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. "They hate the Soviets, so they must love us."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 08:18 AM   #151
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

To be fair, it describes (perhaps somewhat nebulous) left-wing ideologies.
I have no problems, the right uses it to describe the left, and in the SJW context correctly. Trump uses it the other and is obviously a flaming hypocrite.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:36 AM   #152
Lurch
Graduate Poster

I thought you ascribed the origins to China. Stay focused.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 08:41 AM   #153
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I thought you ascribed the origins to China. Stay focused.
Cancel culture and China are leftist. Orange Man is a populist whore.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:42 AM   #154
Distracted1
Illuminator

I'm assuming that you're being facetious in emulation of another poster, but I'm happy to elaborate.
For some people, tribalism has reached the point that they cannot conceive of supporting a person or group at a particular point in time in response to a particular action, and condemning the same person or group at a different point in time in response to a different action. Support or condemnation has to be unconditional and constant. It is impossible to have two different opinions about someone at two different points in time over two different things they've done. For or against, forever. And if you oppose someone, you automatically support anyone who opposes them, no matter who they are and what they've done. We saw how well that line of thinking worked with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. "They hate the Soviets, so they must love us."
Shorthand for that is "identity politics", no?
Old 13th August 2020, 08:48 AM   #155
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Your colors are showing. Today's "useless cog" was yesterday's "useless eater". "Wiped from the board" is rather suggestive, hmm?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 08:52 AM   #156
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Your colors are showing. Today's "useless cog" was yesterday's "useless eater". "Wiped from the board" is rather suggestive, hmm?
Or the rabbithole has another victim.
Old 13th August 2020, 09:03 AM   #157
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Shorthand for that is "identity politics", no?
Naw, "identity politics" is right wing shorthand to try to condemn giving a crap about issues that effect women or racial, sexual or gender minorities.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 09:04 AM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No...I really didn't get it. I get the point now.
Old 13th August 2020, 09:11 AM   #159
Cavemonster
Philosopher

"Cancel culture" is just like "SJW".

Take some kind of action that's been happening forever like caring about issues or creating consequences for actions through community feedback.

Give a scary term to the people on the left doing it while ignoring the same actions from the right, and try to define it in terms of the overreach and zealotry of the fringes so you can dismiss any actions you don't like as crazy and dangerous.

It wasn't called cancel culture when conservatives were clamoring for the heads of any company or public figure who mentioned the existence of gay people. They didn't see the "one million moms" boycotts, petitions and actions as worthy of a scary name.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 09:11 AM   #160
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is why I abhor Rocky and his politics. He has not only no room for dissent, he actually is subtly promoting genocide. If you don't think or look like him you should be wiped from the board.

Pretty scary stuff.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics