ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: American Civil War II: Is It Coming
American Civil War II is coming soon, perhaps even soon after this election. 12 20.69%
American Civil War II is coming sometime in the next few years. 9 15.52%
American Civil War II is coming in the foreseeable future, but not for at least a decade or so.. 4 6.90%
American Civil War II is not coming anytime in the foreseeable future. 21 36.21%
American Civil War II is never going to happen. 7 12.07%
American Civil War II is coming soon to Netflix, starring Dwayne Johnson! 9 15.52%
Planet X Civil War XXXVII is coming soon! 6 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th August 2020, 07:42 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

American Civil War II: Is It Coming?

I didn't think so a few months ago, but today I'm not so sure, mainly because of Trump's attacks on the integrity of our elections, and the prospect of having an election in which large numbers of Americans have no faith in the outcome. I think if this comes to pass there will be violence, it's only a question of degree.

Poll is up, multiple choice allowed, have at it!

Last edited by shemp; 30th August 2020 at 07:49 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 08:10 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Both extremes of the ideological horseshoe think that we are already in a civil war
Old 30th August 2020, 08:13 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Civil Cold War maybe. And that's being 90% serious.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:27 AM   #4
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Posit: protesting becomes more frequent. Carrying of weapons on street becomes banned/restricted in the interests of public safety. Police take a page from towns where rioting is quelled by minimal police interference. Does this nullify Civil War? Without guns, the right is castrated. Without fascist resistance, the left protests without rioting. All allowing for exceptions of course.

I'll bet if we lose the prevalence of bang sticks on the street that we suddenly have a much more manageable situation.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Posit: protesting becomes more frequent. Carrying of weapons on street becomes banned/restricted in the interests of public safety. Police take a page from towns where rioting is quelled by minimal police interference. Does this nullify Civil War? Without guns, the right is castrated. Without fascist resistance, the left protests without rioting. All allowing for exceptions of course.

I'll bet if we lose the prevalence of bang sticks on the street that we suddenly have a much more manageable situation.
A dubious assumption at best.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 08:38 AM   #6
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, if Trump wins. This fascist takeover might prevail, but not without massive upheaval.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
A dubious assumption at best.
I think we've been seeing it on action. Towns where police marched with protesters (ie Flint MI, Camden NJ) saw no violence. Towns that initially responded strong arm then backed off (Philly, Boston) saw pushback then mellowing.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:53 AM   #8
Lurch
Graduate Poster

It's not Trump I fear so much as his mindless supporters and enablers. They are of a discomfiting number, which emboldens them and amplifies the herd mentality. The feedback loop involving them, their 'leader' and supporting propaganda organs is winding tighter a spring of fear and hate. How that energy is released when triggering events occur has fearful potential.

There may not be present sufficient passion to mobilize for a full on national civil war, but more limited skirmishes can be envisioned.

A nation awash in guns, with a tinderbox ready to be lit, is an outcome Putin could hardly have expected so soon after his cheap investment in Donny.

Wake up, America.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 08:56 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Our Trumpers are going to just do their standard screaming about "LOL overdramatic triggered libs" but what (most of us I think) are talking about isn't a real, true fear that we are gonna wake up on November 4th to find AOC leading a battalion of pink haired college genderfluids fighting Alex Jones and his Preatoran Guard of Qanoners for control of our local Burger King.

What we're worried about is an increasing level conspiracy theory twinged violence from people who live in a post-fact world and are impossible to reason with.
Old 30th August 2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I don't nearly know enough about the topic to say.

But some degree of civil upheaval, like large-scale protests, street fighting, gravy seals, et cetera? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I imagine it to play out more like Portland or maybe the Troubles in Ireland than anything resembling civil war, however. Then again, as I said, I know next to nothing about civil wars, so I couldn't say.

For those who do believe a civil war, though, how do you think it will come about? Will the US military remain on Trump's side so that you have a kind of guerilla war, or is there a chance of parts of the armed forces defecting? Will states declare independence?

Honestly, the sheer size of the USA, and the might of the US military, is what makes me the most skeptical of a full-blown civil war even being possible.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 10:01 AM   #11
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

This isn't 1861. There are smarter, modern mechanisms.

Protests shut down every major city in a way that makes May-June seem like baby stuff. Special emphasis surrounding Trump properties.

Shut down every interstate, every airport.

Targeted DDoS attacks on massive scale.

Tax revolt. There is 0% chance I'm going to fund the fascist takeover, and I hope this becomes a movement.

Hack the power grid.

Etc.

I'm not saying it will work.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:03 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Carrying of weapons on street becomes banned/restricted in the interests of public safety.
I think that would be a definite tinderbox moment. People marched on government buildings holding semi-automatic rifles and carrying swastikas and nooses over being unable to get a haircut because of lockdown restrictions. The 2nd amendment is a consistent and constant rallying cry for these people. How do you think they'd react to a curtailing of those 2nd amendment rights, real or perceived? I think it's safe to say that the answer is "not well".

To the more general question in the thread - yes, I'll be surprised if we don't see violence after the election, no matter the result.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:04 AM   #13
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
we are gonna wake up on November 4th to find AOC leading a battalion of pink haired college genderfluids fighting Alex Jones and his Preatoran Guard of Qanoners for control of our local Burger King.
I would pay to see that, it would be lightyears more interesting than what is probably actually going to happen.

I voted not going to happen in the forseeable. The only reason I didn't vote never is the possibility that somewhere down the line there might, maybe, be a kind of resource poor type thing.

They for example thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely OK, and then they didn't and what is the point of the Catholic Church if it says "Oh we couldn't know better because no one else did" THEN WHAT ARE YOU FOR? - Stephen Fry
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 10:39 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think that would be a definite tinderbox moment. People marched on government buildings holding semi-automatic rifles and carrying swastikas and nooses over being unable to get a haircut because of lockdown restrictions. The 2nd amendment is a consistent and constant rallying cry for these people. How do you think they'd react to a curtailing of those 2nd amendment rights, real or perceived? I think it's safe to say that the answer is "not well".

To the more general question in the thread - yes, I'll be surprised if we don't see violence after the election, no matter the result.
There's a difference between civil unrest and civil war.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Posit: protesting becomes more frequent. Carrying of weapons on street becomes banned/restricted in the interests of public safety. Police take a page from towns where rioting is quelled by minimal police interference. Does this nullify Civil War?

Sure, it probably would nullify a Civil War, because this scenario would effectively be one side simply surrendering to the other. What are the chances of that happening, though?
Old 30th August 2020, 11:03 AM   #16
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The more I think about it, yeah, not a Civil War but a Supersized Culture War. Govt will basically be out of it but the citizenry will be polarizing in an unprecedented and violent scale.
Old 30th August 2020, 11:33 AM   #17
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

If our current President wanted to strip Democratic dominated cities of political representation, then "defending the Second Amendment" would be a useful pretext for doing so.

If one pays attention to other nations, one knows that coups and power-grabs are usually accompanied by psuedo-legalistic justifications - wrapped in a flag and carrying the bible, so to speak. Citing one portion of a constitution as the basis for suspending other parts of a constitution is common in such events. Given the near-religious aura many ascribe to the 2nd, it is not hard to imagine that perceived threat to the 2nd could be that "justification" to start stripping Democratic state and city level politicians of power, as the feds step in to "defend" the 2nd Amendment.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 11:56 AM   #18
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No option for "It's already started" so I haven't voted.
Old 30th August 2020, 12:05 PM   #19
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me that if we step back a few paces from the few localized conflict areas, we’d see that the vast majority of the country is not experiencing these disturbances.

We are tempted to look at the worst-case stuff and extrapolate, but sometimes that extrapolation is not justified.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 12:17 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

In my city of Portland last night there were hundreds of Trump supporters who led a caravan into the city to deliberately escalate the tensions by confronting the protesters. They went armed with paint ball guns and shot at protesters from the back of pick up trucks. They also sprayed bear spray at protesters. A man was shot and killed which is being investigated. Instead of condemning the violence and calling for both sides to calm down and take a step back as any responsible POTUS would and should do, Trump is fanning the flames and praising these idiots for going into Portland and calling them "GREAT PATRIOTS" while only condemning the BLM protesters. Trump is fanning the flames of civil unrest and violence for his own elections advantages. He is a sociopath and a clear and present danger to this country and only fools cannot see this.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 12:38 PM   #21
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This isn't 1861. There are smarter, modern mechanisms.

Protests shut down every major city in a way that makes May-June seem like baby stuff. Special emphasis surrounding Trump properties.

Targeted DDoS attacks on massive scale.

Tax revolt. There is 0% chance I'm going to fund the fascist takeover, and I hope this becomes a movement.

Hack the power grid.

Etc.

I'm not saying it will work.
It wont, and those who do try such things are basically terrorists. If he wins by legit majority he wins, if Biden does, same deal. You seem ready to trash society all because your side didnt get its way.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 12:52 PM   #22
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
In my city of Portland last night there were hundreds of Trump supporters who led a caravan into the city to deliberately escalate the tensions by confronting the protesters. They went armed with paint ball guns and shot at protesters from the back of pick up trucks. They also sprayed bear spray at protesters. A man was shot and killed which is being investigated. Instead of condemning the violence and calling for both sides to calm down and take a step back as any responsible POTUS would and should do, Trump is fanning the flames and praising these idiots for going into Portland and calling them "GREAT PATRIOTS" while only condemning the BLM protesters. Trump is fanning the flames of civil unrest and violence for his own elections advantages. He is a sociopath and a clear and present danger to this country and only fools cannot see this.
Between this open support of violence*, and deliberately letting covid wreak havoc on blue states for then to blame the Democrat governours, it's pretty clear the gloves are off. No more dog whistles if he wins in November. It will be overt facist rule. More than what we're seeing right now, that is.

*not that this is new or unexpected - we all remember he encouraged his followers to beat up political opponents at his rallies.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 12:55 PM   #23
Venom
Illuminator

It's gonna be a cold civil war. Culture war if you like. In that sense you could argue that it is an ongoing conflict.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 12:56 PM   #24
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I voted planet x, only because I couldn't put in a partial vote for one of the other options.

Just a few months ago I would have laughed at anyone who suggested the possibility. I probably did in some thread or another around here. Now, I'm not so sure.

And yes, it is Trump's fault. See stacyhs' post.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 01:04 PM   #25
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Seems to me that if we step back a few paces from the few localized conflict areas, wed see that the vast majority of the country is not experiencing these disturbances.

We are tempted to look at the worst-case stuff and extrapolate, but sometimes that extrapolation is not justified.
One of the things that I think is fanning the flames is the isolation of our plague-infested lives. If we were leading normal lives, where we go to work in offices every day, and talk to friends and family on a regular basis, and go the 7-11 whenever we felt like it, I don't think any of this would be happening.

But here we are, locked up, isolated, wearing masks, working in our basements, and there is no stabilizing factor. If we are inclined to believe that the other side, whether Trump or BLM or Antifa or Nazis are crawling through our yards waiting to deny us our freedom and corrupt our precious bodily fluids, there isn't the usual stabilizing factor of friends and family to say, "Shut up about politics and deal the cards."

Instead, there's the TV or the internet telling us, "No. Those people are not as bad as you think they are. THEY'RE WORSE!!!! WATCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!"
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 01:20 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland just ripped Trump a new one. To put it in a nutshell: he told him to basically shut up as he is just encouraging the violence and unrest with his stupid tweets and rhetoric. He said what America needs is for Trump to be stopped.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 30th August 2020 at 01:22 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 01:37 PM   #27
zorro99
Muse

TV News HQ
@TVNewsHQ

5m
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, who yesterday refused federal help, now blames President Trump for the violence: “Do you seriously wonder, Mr President, why this is the 1st time in decades that America has seen this level of violence? It’s you who have created the hate and division.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVNewsHQ/...70756987531264
Old 30th August 2020, 02:02 PM   #28
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I think this doesn't consider how much violence and political violence the system can absorb.

We could double the murder rate and still be at 90s levels.

There was a multi decade stretch where states coordinated with terrorists to promote racial supremacy and both parties at the federal level tolerated it.

Beating a senator in the chamber would be a real sign one is coming.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 02:15 PM   #29
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say the civil war has already started. It's in an escalating phase. It's not an interstate conflict, but a modern civil war where the in-group and out-group is ideologically - and to some extent, racially - delineated.

There's a good chance it could stop escalating and go back to slowly brewing with the occasional terror attack and murder, but given the anger on the streets and the apparent willingness from one side to keep attacking and provoking, I'd say it's going to keep going for some time.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 02:17 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Putin is one happy guy. His investment in helping get Trump elected has paid off beyond his wildest dreams.
Old 30th August 2020, 02:31 PM   #31
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
TV News HQ
@TVNewsHQ

5m
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, who yesterday refused federal help, now blames President Trump for the violence: Do you seriously wonder, Mr President, why this is the 1st time in decades that America has seen this level of violence? Its you who have created the hate and division.

Wow, the trumpsters are out in force in the comments thread.
Old 30th August 2020, 02:49 PM   #32
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Putin is one happy guy. His investment in helping get Trump elected has paid off beyond his wildest dreams.
That is so true.

People think that he helped Trump because Trump and he were some sort of good buddies or had some sort of common agenda. I doubt that's the case. I was pretty sure in 2016 and pretty sure now that Putin's whole agenda was to sow discord in the United States. I'm pretty sure he even suspected that what that meant was to make sure there were a bunch of extremely adamant haters of President Hillary Clinton. When Trump won, it was a gift, and the way Trump has governed has made it the Best Christmas Ever in Moscow.
Old 30th August 2020, 02:55 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That is so true.

People think that he helped Trump because Trump and he were some sort of good buddies or had some sort of common agenda. I doubt that's the case. I was pretty sure in 2016 and pretty sure now that Putin's whole agenda was to sow discord in the United States. I'm pretty sure he even suspected that what that meant was to make sure there were a bunch of extremely adamant haters of President Hillary Clinton. When Trump won, it was a gift, and the way Trump has governed has made it the Best Christmas Ever in Moscow.
Absolutely. Russia could never conquer the US in a military war without destroying itself as well. The only way to beat us was to destroy us from within and watch us collapse. Trump and his followers played right into his hands and still are and they're too stupid to see it.
Old 30th August 2020, 03:10 PM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

After what I saw with the Trumptrash in Portland today, I'm going to revise my assessment and say I see a distinct possibility for widespread civil unrest short of war. I see a possibility of unrest and widespread, localized violence in a number of cities from the announcement of the winner to shortly after Biden is sworn in (assuming a Biden victory).

Trump was able to get his Trumptrash in Oregon together and move them through Portland engaging in unprovoked violence throughout the city. It was clear the way the convoy moved that it made the unrest in the city more widespread. The way the violence was localized to a couple of blocks made it difficult for Trump to claim Portland was burning. He had is gang of traitors and thugs move throughout downtown to make sure the violence was more wide spread. Having his people spread violence will justify deploying more DHS troops to the city.
Old 30th August 2020, 03:43 PM   #35
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
So, like the American Revolution, then?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 04:26 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
TV News HQ
@TVNewsHQ

5m
Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, who yesterday refused federal help, now blames President Trump for the violence: “Do you seriously wonder, Mr President, why this is the 1st time in decades that America has seen this level of violence? It’s you who have created the hate and division.”

Wheeler's reasoning doesn't make sense.

The protests are peaceful. The violence is just a few bad actors, primarily right-wing plants. It's not representative of the concerns, nor of the people raising those concerns. He's blaming Trump for a problem that largely doesn't exist.

And to the extent that people are rioting, they're not rioting about OMB in faraway Washington, D.C. They're rioting about issues closer to home: Their own city and state governments. Their own police forces. Their own social services. Largely, their own Democrat governments.

Take these people, for example, who occupied Mayor Wheeler's home yesterday:
BREAKING: Activists occupy Portland mayor Ted Wheeler’s apartment and aren’t leaving until he: resigns, abolishes the police by 2022 with no tech or private replacement, and allots saved resources to BIPOC communities and city services. #TearGasTed #AbolishPPB #WheelerResign

https://twitter.com/RisingTideNA/sta...16351963308038
Look at those hashtags. They're not complaining about "Tear Gas Trump." They're not calling for the abolition of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They're not saying Trump needs to resign. Their demands are local. Their problems are local. I'm sure they're pissed off about President Trump. But their beef, their violence*, is local. Ted Wheeler, not Donald Trump, is the problem in Portland.

---
*To the extent that even is any violence.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 05:21 PM   #37
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I voted "not in the foreseeable future" because the foreseeable future is so very short these days.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2020, 06:11 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wheeler's reasoning doesn't make sense.

The protests are peaceful. The violence is just a few bad actors, primarily right-wing plants. It's not representative of the concerns, nor of the people raising those concerns. He's blaming Trump for a problem that largely doesn't exist.

And to the extent that people are rioting, they're not rioting about OMB in faraway Washington, D.C. They're rioting about issues closer to home: Their own city and state governments. Their own police forces. Their own social services. Largely, their own Democrat governments.

Take these people, for example, who occupied Mayor Wheeler's home yesterday:
BREAKING: Activists occupy Portland mayor Ted Wheeler’s apartment and aren’t leaving until he: resigns, abolishes the police by 2022 with no tech or private replacement, and allots saved resources to BIPOC communities and city services. #TearGasTed #AbolishPPB #WheelerResign

https://twitter.com/RisingTideNA/sta...16351963308038
Look at those hashtags. They're not complaining about "Tear Gas Trump." They're not calling for the abolition of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They're not saying Trump needs to resign. Their demands are local. Their problems are local. I'm sure they're pissed off about President Trump. But their beef, their violence*, is local. Ted Wheeler, not Donald Trump, is the problem in Portland.

---
*To the extent that even is any violence.
Trump is a large part of the problem because he is fanning the flames instead of trying to calm the violence. He is encouraging the violence because it supports his campaign narrative. When his supporters, whose objectives were to confront and antagonize BLM protesters in Portland, shot them with paint balls and sprayed them with a chemical of some sort out of the back of trucks, and he called them "Great Patriots", he's a huge part of the problem.

ETA: Trump talks about 'left-wing agitators'. When you come to downtown where there are BLM protesters flying Trump flags and have trucks decorated with Trump signs, armed with paint ball guns and toxic sprays, you're right-wing agitators.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 30th August 2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 31st August 2020, 07:42 AM   #39
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
They are flying Trump flags. They seem to think there is some sort of connection to faraway Washington D.C.

(Or anti-Trump flags/signs/whatever.)
Old 31st August 2020, 07:48 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The question is what is or is not a civil war. It is not going to be states succeeding and armies in the field type civil war. But clashing paramilitary groups and terrorism those are certainly going to increase.

So was Iraq in a civil war? was Norther Ireland? Was the 2014 Ukrainian revolution? Does Arab Spring count?

Political violence is going to be on the rise for quite some time, regardless of if you call it a civil war or not.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics