ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 11th September 2020, 07:33 AM   #241
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
You've lost. If you're gonna scream for impeachment you need the facts not cancel culture blind rage. Stop calling those who see clearly trumpers they're not. You embarrass yourself and your embellishing pals.

And calling one a sociopathic troll..... is a) name calling and b) projection.
"Your boos mean nothing to me. I've seen what makes you cheer."
Old 11th September 2020, 07:34 AM   #242
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'd be willing to accept that, if someone could explain why his actions don't meet the standards of depraved indifference. So far, no one has.

But as was said earlier, the whole, "It wasn't technically murder, it was manslaughter" argument is pretty telling in its own right. Whatever you finally decide to call it, he's guilty as sin and should rot in jail.
The main reason is the case law doesn't apply to government political decisions. The allocation of executive power is an issue of value and there is no external measurement of that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:35 AM   #243
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You've lost. If you're gonna scream for impeachment you need the facts not cancel culture blind rage.
Funny story, apparently facts are insufficient next to the power of partisanship.
Old 11th September 2020, 07:40 AM   #244
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In the middle of a crisis making everyone stop because a specific term got used less then perfectly is sociopathic nonsense.
The OP appears to be a specific claim that the term is right. I'm not sure how one can argue against without taking the position that the term is incorrect.

Maybe in other threads your argument applies, but this w
One seems very specific.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:40 AM   #245
shuttlt
Philosopher

In the middle of a crisis making everyone stop because a specific term got used less then perfectly is sociopathic nonsense.
Nobody actually involved in dealing with the crisis is being prevented from dealing with the crisis. This is a discussion forum on the Internet. If anybody on the forum does have a critical role in the crisis and is being prevented from doing that by rockysmith76 arguing about terminology, then I think the person who needs to look at their priorities isn't rockysmith76.

Hiding behind being "technically correct" is just trolling.
Isn't near autistic pedantry (not meaning rockysmith76 here) the foundation upon which the forum is built? The hours that have been sunk into pointless arguing with "somebody on the internet [who] is wrong" about ridiculous claims. You don't get left out of that just because its your pet belief.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:54 AM   #246
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If the U.S. had the same death rate as the EU, 80,000+ more Americans would still be alive. If the US had the same death rate as Canada, 100,000+ more Americans would still be alive. Granted, we can't exactly blame Trump: It's not his fault so many Americans inhabit the US. Stupid people almost deserve stupid leaders.
I think you should check your numbers. Canada's current Case Fatality Rate (CFR) (Deaths/Confirmed Cases) is 6.79%. The EU as a whole is 6.62%. The US is 2.98%. This is as of my latest tracking spreadsheet using numbers from worldometer.

What Canada and the most of the EU has done is control the spread better than the US. And that is ultimately down to, as you hint at and my own opinion is, the compliance of the people. I don't know if that's "stupidity" so much as "stubbornness," or "resistence to authority." Potato-potahto, I guess.
Old 11th September 2020, 07:59 AM   #247
RedStapler
Muse

He's not my anything.... I took issue with the OP's claim nothing more, so again, stop embellishing...
So no comment on the fact that you accused me of calling it murder while I never did such a thing? Oh and you not only "took issue" with the claim, you also wrote stuff like "nullifies your point" (which is extremely dishonest)
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 08:06 AM   #248
Distracted1
Illuminator

Troll/argue all you want Trumpers. In the middle of a crisis making everyone stop because a specific term got used less then perfectly is sociopathic nonsense. Hiding behind being "technically correct" is just trolling.

You don't argue the "Murder/Manslaughter" distinction while someone is still being stabbed.
I suggest you examine the thread title.
The use of the term "murder" is, literally, exactly what it is about.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:10 AM   #249
xjx388
Philosopher

A few generic retorts.

- "Oh I'm not a Trump supporter! Stop calling me a Trump supporter!" We know. Trump, magically, became President without anyone actually supporting him. We get it, nobody is a Trump supporter but a bunch of people pull the exact same stalling whatabouta routine every time any criticism of him comes up. We totally believe you. *Jerk off motion*

In politics a supporter and an apologist are the same thing.

- But more importantly please stop insulting our intelligence. Nobody is buying this "Oh I honestly truly feel the deep need to obsess over the Left's 'hyperbole' and 'hypocrisy' and me screaming about it makes perfect sense and totally isn't just a way to defend Trump" routine. If the Left's drama and double standards even bug you in the slightest, Trump should send you into full on existential dread. He's the drama-llama-ist double-standardist person in history. You don't care about hyperbole, you don't care about hypocrisy. Nobody is buying it.
I don't know if you are including me in this rant, but dang dude -take a second. The OP makes a resolution that Trump is literally guilty of murder. That is an absurd argument. That's what I'm (and others) arguing against.

That doesn't mean that I think Trump is blame free. The opposite. He should be impeached for his negligence, gross incompetence, etc. This isn't about defending Trump in any capacity; it's simply about the absurdity of the OP.

Do you think he is literally guilty of murder?
Old 11th September 2020, 08:20 AM   #250
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

"Your boos mean nothing to me. I've seen what makes you cheer."
^^indeed.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 08:28 AM   #251
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Funny story, apparently facts are insufficient next to the power of partisanship.
When you claim murder as opposed to negligence you're exactly right, and the attempt at an IKYABWAI, noted, and sad.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 08:32 AM   #252
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
So no comment on the fact that you accused me of calling it murder while I never did such a thing? Oh and you not only "took issue" with the claim, you also wrote stuff like "nullifies your point" (which is extremely dishonest)
You appeared to be arguing in favor of, if not, thats my bad, but all I have beaten on here point wise is the fallacy of applying murder to the would be impeachment case of some. The definition doesnt fit and hurts any anti trump argument.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 08:33 AM   #253
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I don't know if you are including me in this rant, but dang dude -take a second. The OP makes a resolution that Trump is literally guilty of murder. That is an absurd argument. That's what I'm (and others) arguing against.

That doesn't mean that I think Trump is blame free. The opposite. He should be impeached for his negligence, gross incompetence, etc. This isn't about defending Trump in any capacity; it's simply about the absurdity of the OP.

Whats being seen here in some, is they cant take the blinders off and see the wording of the OP like you correctly point out.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:35 AM   #254
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
^^indeed.
Take a look at that quote you applaud, now would be the time to jump into general paranormal and claim to know bigfoot, thats the kind of logic you're using here.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:39 AM   #255
xjx388
Philosopher

I'd like to see someone quantify in as exact terms as possible just how much death Trump himself is personally responsible for. For a muder charge to stick, that's an important figure. Show your work.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:40 AM   #256
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No. Negligent homicide, but closer.
That's going to make a great campaign ad.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:44 AM   #257
RedStapler
Muse

You appeared to be arguing in favor of, if not, thats my bad, but all I have beaten on here point wise is the fallacy of applying murder to the would be impeachment case of some. The definition doesnt fit and hurts any anti trump argument.
How? God emperor lied to the public and let people die, how does the fact that it is not murder hurt any argument against him?

It's a lot more complicated than "Hah hah, it's not murder, your whole argument is invalid"

Last edited by RedStapler; 11th September 2020 at 08:45 AM.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 08:48 AM   #258
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

How?
Read the "Literal" wording of the OP, thats how.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:49 AM   #259
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think the fact that you care more about that distinction then the damage he's done is a problem.

"Okay but you're not phrasing your criticism of Trump the right way!" is not a discussion. that sane people are having right now. "But the librusl are being hyperbolic!" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now. "But the liburls are being hypocrites" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now.

I think you and the other "LOL totally don't support Trump" Trump apologist will always do everything to distract from discussion of the harm Trump with whatever meaningless hijack you can latch onto. And I think you are doing it intentionally and you and I both know it.

And you, the other Trump apologists, and any other member of any various peanut gallery listening can take any and all "Oh so you're saying we can't talk about multiple things at once" and "LOL we're just talking on the internet it doesn't matter" speeches and shove them somewhere that will require a rubber glove and a fair amount of lube to remove.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:51 AM   #260
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

I think the fact that you care more about that distinction then the damage he's done is a problem.

"Okay but you're not phrasing your criticism of Trump the right way!" is not a discussion. that sane people are having right now. "But the librusl are being hyperbolic!" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now. "But the liburls are being hypocrites" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now.

I think you and the other "LOL totally don't support Trump" Trump apologist will always do everything to distract from discussion of the harm Trump with whatever meaningless hijack you can latch onto. And I think you are doing it intentionally and you and I both know it.

And you, the other Trump apologists, and any other member of any various peanut gallery listening can take any and all "Oh so you're saying we can't talk about multiple things at once" and "LOL we're just talking on the internet it doesn't matter" speeches and shove them somewhere that will require a rubber glove and a fair amount of lube to remove.
You're literally shouting screed at this point. If you the vile orange man impeached, facts matter. Vitriol and lies will fail.

Calling those disagreeing with you apologists, sociopaths and trolls, shows one thick set of blinders.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:52 AM   #261
RedStapler
Muse

Read the "Literal" wording of the OP, thats how.
I already disagreed on the "it's literally murder". How does the fact he willingly let people die hurt any argument against him?
Old 11th September 2020, 08:54 AM   #262
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I already disagreed on the "it's literally murder". How does the fact he willingly let people die hurt any argument against him?
The fact that a term was used imperfectly can now be used as a hijack so we never actually get around to addressed Trump's failures.

That's the point of hijacks. It's always the point of hijacks.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:54 AM   #263
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, it wasn't murder! Take that, lib snowflakes!
Old 11th September 2020, 08:56 AM   #264
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Thats not the point. The OP began this particular argument with the words "Literally Murder", which is plainly false. You are trying to argue simple OMB in a more specific conversation in this thread. That is the disruption not pointing out murder doesnt fit and the op is wrong.

You want to talk about the border immigrant camps, you would have an argument for the OP's point, in the case you would need him in the basement with pence literally (that word again) manufacturing the stuff. They aren't.
Old 11th September 2020, 08:57 AM   #265
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

The fact that a term was used imperfectly can now be used as a hijack so we never actually get around to addressed Trump's failures.

That's the point of hijacks. It's always the point of hijacks.
********, it's the literal wording of the OP and fostered a legitimate argument, which YOU are trying to derail through screaming OMB and nothing else matters.

the equivalent of covering your ears and going "LALALLALALALALLA!" as loud a syou can. A child's reaction when they dont get their way.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:01 AM   #266
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

********, it's the literal wording of the OP and fostered a legitimate argument, which YOU are trying to derail through screaming OMB and nothing else matters.

the equivalent of covering your ears and going "LALALLALALALALLA!" as loud a syou can. A child's reaction when they dont get their way.
You know I'm fairly comfortable in who's coming across reacting like a child at this point.

Mass pedantic nitpicking trolling is not an argument. Screaming "Both sides suck" while only defending one side is not balance. Crying about blinders while basically acting like a cult member is not persuasive.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:05 AM   #267
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

You know I'm fairly comfortable in who's coming across reacting like a child at this point.

Mass pedantic nitpicking trolling is not an argument. Screaming "Both sides suck" while only defending one side is not balance. Crying about blinders while basically acting like a cult member is not persuasive.
nor is letting blind rage and hatred when it clearly means you're okay with lying just because the other side does it to. "literally" be the better person, not the butthurt 5 year old.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:10 AM   #268
RedStapler
Muse

Thats not the point. The OP began this particular argument with the words "Literally Murder", which is plainly false. You are trying to argue simple OMB in a more specific conversation in this thread. That is the disruption not pointing out murder doesnt fit and the op is wrong.
Ok, it's not murder. OP is wrong. What now? Should we ignore the dead people or......

You want to talk about the border immigrant camps, you would have an argument for the OP's point, in the case you would need him in the basement with pence literally (that word again) manufacturing the stuff. They aren't.
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:12 AM   #269
RedStapler
Muse

nor is letting blind rage and hatred when it clearly means you're okay with lying just because the other side does it to. "literally" be the better person, not the butthurt 5 year old.
Rage and hatred are exactly what is needed here. He let people die because he did not care. I would go as far as saying that a nice baseball bat to god emperors front teeth are necessary.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:14 AM   #270
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Ok, it's not murder. OP is wrong. What now? Should we ignore the dead people or......
I never ssaid they didnt matter, or should be forgotten, I frankly meant that lying (Crying murder) is going to hurt any impeachment effort as well as their memory, because in this very argument you have those who can't see past the blinders and in their precious outrage they are not doing squat for those dead folks, are they?

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about.
trump started his Presidency by putting Mexicans coming across the border literally into cages, and if you to cry murder in that case you might actually have a point.
Clearer?
Old 11th September 2020, 09:15 AM   #271
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Rage and hatred are exactly what is needed here. He let people die because he did not care. I would go as far as saying that a nice baseball bat to god emperors front teeth are necessary.
No, because that leads to mob rule in a what should be a Nation of Laws, even the Nazi leadership got Due Process in Nueremberg, and like it or not, yes I'm going there, they actually were much worse
Old 11th September 2020, 09:18 AM   #272
RedStapler
Muse

No, because that leads to mob rule in a what should be a Nation of Laws, even the Nazi leadership got Due Process in Nueremberg, and like it or not, yes I'm going there, they actually were much worse
Why is is that in this great nation of laws, the president is a criminal and backed up by the members of the government of this great nation of laws?

Let me guess: You don't consider Trump a criminal?
Old 11th September 2020, 09:25 AM   #273
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Why is is that in this great nation of laws, the president is a criminal and backed up by the members of the government of this great nation of laws?

Let me guess: You don't consider Trump a criminal?
For the border camp situation, he absolutely is. How did he get elected in? Many pissed Red staters voted, more than a few complacent dems thought Hillary was a shoe in and stayed home, factor in the electoral college and you have the present four years.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:26 AM   #274
RedStapler
Muse

For the border camp situation, he absolutely is. How did he get elected in? Many pissed Red staters voted, more than a few complacent dems thought Hillary was a shoe in and stayed home, factor in the electoral college and you have the present four years.
Did the people tell him "be the biggest criminal possible"? Or why did you bring up voters suddenly?
Old 11th September 2020, 09:28 AM   #275
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Did the people tell him "be the biggest criminal possible"? Or why did you bring up voters suddenly?
I misread the last post, he's backed up by those politcians because Republicans tend to go along with the party as a rule.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:30 AM   #276
Cain
Straussian

I think you should check your numbers. Canada's current Case Fatality Rate (CFR) (Deaths/Confirmed Cases) is 6.79%. The EU as a whole is 6.62%. The US is 2.98%. This is as of my latest tracking spreadsheet using numbers from worldometer.
The figures come from the NYT, and I don't see how they're inconsistent with the percentages you've cited, if that's what you're suggesting. Maybe Joe could explain it to you with an analogy.

Quote:
What Canada and the most of the EU has done is control the spread better than the US. And that is ultimately down to, as you hint at and my own opinion is, the compliance of the people. I don't know if that's "stupidity" so much as "stubbornness," or "resistence to authority." Potato-potahto, I guess.
It's stupidity.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:31 AM   #277
xjx388
Philosopher

What leads you to conclude that I care more about that distinction than the damage he's done?

You are reading something that isn't there. Show me my words where I say anything minimizing the damage he's done.

Quote:
"Okay but you're not phrasing your criticism of Trump the right way!" is not a discussion. that sane people are having right now.
Of course it is! Invalid criticism is invalid and not helpful to legitimate criticism.
Quote:
"But the librusl are being hyperbolic!" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now. "But the liburls are being hypocrites" is not a discussion that sane people are having right now.
What makes it an insane discussion, exactly? A ridiculous argument was made. What, we are just supposed to go, "Yes yes yes! Lock him up! Lock him up!" Anything short of that makes one a Trumpkin, apparently. ********. Accuracy and the truth are important, are they not? I think they should be paramount, especially when crafting an argument that is supposed to convince people to oust Trump.

Quote:
Absurdity. You are casting aspersions on my motives without actually reading the words I write. Not once in this thread have I written an apology for Trump. Quite the opposite.

Quote:
Wow. I think you are completely out of line here. Hopefully you'll take a minute to rethink your tactics.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:34 AM   #278
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Wow. I think you are completely out of line here. Hopefully you'll take a minute to rethink your tactics.
It's the blinders, he's convinced any who disagree are in league, when many are nitpicking the Murder angle because it's ******** and hurts any credibility other anti trump criticism would otherwise have. Facts do actually matter after all.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #279
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's stupidity.
Compounded by the Head Stupid.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 09:39 AM   #280
RedStapler
Muse

I misread the last post, he's backed up by those politcians because Republicans tend to go along with the party as a rule.
So the Land of the Law is ruled by criminals, backing each other. (But for some reason quibbling over the exact crime is way more important to you)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics