ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 20th December 2017, 12:48 PM   #2001
ahhell
Muse

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I hope Franken changes his mind and refuses to step down, that would be entertaining
I hope he does step down. It helps give a clear field for the dems to run on the GOP being the party of pedophilia, rape, and sexual harassment.

He shouldn't because his crimes weren't nearly that severe and the voters should have a chance to decide but he should for the good of the party and country.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 01:23 PM   #2002
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I hope he does step down. It helps give a clear field for the dems to run on the GOP being the party of pedophilia, rape, and sexual harassment.

He shouldn't because his crimes weren't nearly that severe and the voters should have a chance to decide but he should for the good of the party and country.
I'm not sure that's going to help much. The Dems have been running on that platform for decades now. Trump's election shows that voters no longer give a **** about that particular narrative.

Especially compared to the new, emerging narrative that the Dems are the party of pedophilia, rape, and sexual harassment--right up until the moment they get caught.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 01:33 PM   #2003
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Politico: Franken urged to reverse his resignation
Quote:
At least four senators are urging Al Franken to reconsider resigning, including two who issued statements calling for the resignation two weeks ago and said they now feel remorse over what they feel was a rush to judgment.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), who urged Franken not to step down to begin with — at least not before he went through an Ethics Committee investigation — said the Minnesota senator was railroaded by fellow Democrats. ...

He added, “Here’s a man, that all he said [was], ‘Take me through the Ethics Committee. I will live by whatever decision and I will walk away thinking about this opportunity I’ve had while I was here. But you find out if I’m a predator.’” ...

The feeling that Franken should reconsider has gained some steam outside of the Senate, too, among Democratic donors and others, including a former Republican governor of Minnesota, Arne Carlson.

“I and many other people — and specifically feminists — feel that it’s not too late, that he should not resign, and that the rush to sweep him out was ill-conceived, and we think that he has been supportive of women and women’s issues,” said Emily Jane Goodman, a retired New York state Supreme Court judge who’s helped start a Feminists for Franken group on Facebook. “Although we do deplore any kind of gender-based misconduct, we think at the same time he is entitled to a fair hearing.”

Al Franken: The Obvious Setup and Liberals Took the Bait
Quote:
So in scanning any Democrat that maintained both logic and a powerful presence as well as one that is knee-deep in calling out those Republicans involved in lying and RussiaGate, there was one name that is both popular and had the potential to be taken down: Al Franken. And so, a woman named Leeann Tweeden has come forward to accuse Al Franken of sexual assault during a USO tour in which they performed together in Afghanistan in 2006. Conservatives know the liberal market and also understand that if they throw out a piece of red meat that accuses a well-respected Democrat of having bad behavior, liberals will climb all over each other to rip him or her apart; and that is exactly what happened as many liberals called for Franken to step down, refused to believe or look at any of the logic behind the accusation and proceeded to argue with each other under the defense that “we are better than them”....

Franken’s past a hot potential to find at least one or two questionable situations and when you added in his work with the USO tours, it was a formula for success for conservatives.
It's an opinion piece that reflects my sentiment.

But re the set up part, Tom Arnold is also out there Tweeting he knows Tweeden and knows she had been badgered by the GOP to make a complaint. He was then attacked for misspelling Tweeden as evidence he didn't know her very well. And Roger Stone is involved.

Quote:
If this was indeed a situation of a woman coming forward to accuse an attacker, why did Roger Stone, know and tweet about it twelve hours before Tweeden’s announcement came out? As described in a Miami.cbslocal article:

“Hours before allegations of sexual misconduct were publicly-leveled against Senator Al Franken, Roger Stone, a self-described master of the political dark arts, suggested he knew the attack on the Minnesota Democrat was about to be made. A Twitter account linked to the on-again, off-again Trump adviser posted a quote from Stone in the early hours Thursday morning that read: “Roger Stone says it’s Al Franken’s `time in the barrel’. Franken next in long list of Democrats to be accused of `grabby’ behavior.”...

This situation appears as if it is a complete and total “setup” and yet a vast number of liberals, in a “holier than thou” attitude, refuse to use critical thinking for analyzing the condition. They continued to attack Franken in a vicious manner, going so far as requesting that he step down from his Senate position. This is exactly the response that conservatives wanted to see. Franken’s Senate position is a powerful one and well-needed for the Democrats.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2017, 06:46 PM   #2004
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm not sure that's going to help much. The Dems have been running on that platform for decades now. Trump's election shows that voters no longer give a **** about that particular narrative.

This is where it's again relevant to point out that Trump lost the popular vote. It does not show that voters in general don't care that Republicans give their politicians a pass, but that Republicans don't care (or care so little it doesn't matter).

Quote:
Especially compared to the new, emerging narrative that the Dems are the party of pedophilia, rape, and sexual harassment--right up until the moment they get caught.
Yeah, truth is old fake news, and 'narrative' is the new hotness.

Even if true, it still gives them the moral high ground over Republicans. Besides, what do you want from the Dems? Them to reject people before there is evidence they're doing something bad? 'The Dems aren't psychic, vote Roy Moore!'

For decades one side has said sexual assault is a serious issue that pervades society, and while working to take measures against it have often failed to live up to this goal on more personal levels. Now they're even taking those hard final steps. The other side often mocks the very idea it's a major problem, attacks those who do work to address it, and not only excuse it but support candidates who oppose women voting on top of having extremely credible accusations of sexual misconduct including sexual assault. The only time Republicans (as a political party mind you) care is if it's a brown person or a dem accused.

Yes, the Dems are taking even higher grounds on this issue that they've had high ground over the Republicans my entire lifetime. Good luck convincing people that the Dems becoming even more moral than they have been is somehow an indictment of them. That's a tall 'narrative'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:11 PM   #2005
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I just saw on the news, today is his last day in the Senate.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:59 PM   #2006
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I just saw on the news, today is his last day in the Senate.
[Taps]
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:51 PM   #2007
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This is where it's again relevant to point out that Trump lost the popular vote.
There was no popular vote. The two-party dominance and the EC system mean that a lot of voters don't have a lot of motivation to go to the polls for national elections. I voted in California last year. I'm a conservative: how much relevance did my vote have, out side of local ballot issues? Why would I even go to the polls? How does the "popular vote" narrative on the left account for this confounding factor?

There weren't even any local issues that really mattered to me. I voted anyway, because it amused me to do so, but it's disingenuous to claim that the ballot results from California represented an accurate or meaningful count of support for either presidential candidate. "More people wanted Hillary" is a Just So Story, invented by grasping at an artifact of the US electoral system.

Last edited by theprestige; 2nd January 2018 at 03:15 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:54 PM   #2008
lobosrul5
Thinker

There was no popular vote. The two-party dominance and the EC system mean that a lot of voters don't have a lot of motivation to go to the polls for national elections. I voted in California last year. I'm a conservative: how much relevance did my vote have, out side of local ballot issues?

There weren't even any local issues that really mattered to me. I voted anyway, because it amused me to do so, but it's disingenuous to claim that the ballot results from California represented an accurate or meaningful count of support for either presidential candidate. "More people wanted Hillary" is a Just So Story, invented by grasping at an artifact of the US electoral system.
Semantics. The popular vote has no legal bearing in a US presidential election, but its silly to say it doesn't exist.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 2nd January 2018 at 02:58 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:17 PM   #2009
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

There was no popular vote. The two-party dominance and the EC system mean that a lot of voters don't have a lot of motivation to go to the polls for national elections. I voted in California last year. I'm a conservative: how much relevance did my vote have, out side of local ballot issues?

You said that Trump's election showed that voters didn't care about that narrative (a narrative that's accurate it should be noted). It shows no such thing, in part because more voters voted for someone else. More than that, more voters voted for one of his opponents, not just for his opponents combined.

So when you say that it's disingenuous to claim the ballot results from California represented an accurate or meaningful count of support, why do you still believe the election represents an accurate or meaningful metric of feedback on Republicans being morally inferior to Dems in regards to sexual misconduct?

Who more people wanted to be president is not an 'artifact of the US electoral system'. That Trump won despite, by every piece of polling data including the actual vote numbers, having millions more people wanting his opponent to win is an artifact of the US electoral system.

More information on the power of this 'narrative' is the Moore loss. Moore, despite showing blatant and illegal disdain for the US Constitution, was basically a lock to win until his history of sexual misconduct came to be public knowledge. Voter turnout was up including with Republicans, but he still lost. This is again completely consistent with it matter to voters, just less with Republicans. Many of them, registered Republicans, wrote in names that could not win.

What was the relevance of that? Just symbolic, and moral. Much like voting for Trump in California, but with the opposite message.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:30 PM   #2010
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Semantics. The popular vote has no legal bearing in a US presidential election, but its silly to say it doesn't exist.
It's silly to say the "popular vote" exists as a meaningful indicator in the context in which it keeps getting trotted out. The truth is that the left has to say she won some ersatz popularity contest as a way to make sense of the fact that she lost the actual election. Hillary Clinton had one job. One. Job. Winning the "popular vote" was not that job.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:31 PM   #2011
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You said that Trump's election showed that voters didn't care about that narrative (a narrative that's accurate it should be noted). It shows no such thing, in part because more voters voted for someone else. More than that, more voters voted for one of his opponents, not just for his opponents combined.

So when you say that it's disingenuous to claim the ballot results from California represented an accurate or meaningful count of support, why do you still believe the election represents an accurate or meaningful metric of feedback on Republicans being morally inferior to Dems in regards to sexual misconduct?

Who more people wanted to be president is not an 'artifact of the US electoral system'. That Trump won despite, by every piece of polling data including the actual vote numbers, having millions more people wanting his opponent to win is an artifact of the US electoral system.

More information on the power of this 'narrative' is the Moore loss. Moore, despite showing blatant and illegal disdain for the US Constitution, was basically a lock to win until his history of sexual misconduct came to be public knowledge. Voter turnout was up including with Republicans, but he still lost. This is again completely consistent with it matter to voters, just less with Republicans. Many of them, registered Republicans, wrote in names that could not win.

What was the relevance of that? Just symbolic, and moral. Much like voting for Trump in California, but with the opposite message.
Would you feel better if I qualified "voters" somehow?
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:48 PM   #2012
lobosrul5
Thinker

It's silly to say the "popular vote" exists as a meaningful indicator in the context in which it keeps getting trotted out. The truth is that the left has to say she won some ersatz popularity contest as a way to make sense of the fact that she lost the actual election. Hillary Clinton had one job. One. Job. Winning the "popular vote" was not that job.

Or maybe they're saying the candidate with the most votes should win rather than an archaic system that was designed to keep someone like Trump out of office. Also its nothing new. It was certainly discussed in 1876 & 1888.

I'd like to know what you think is going to happen if more and more people move to "liberal" states and we end up having a president lose with 60% of the vote?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:08 PM   #2013
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpublicans want to claim a mandate based on "the american voters" but want to ignore the american voters and prefer to base the mandate on the Electoral College. They can't stand the fact that Trump is so unpopular that most voters did not want him in office.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:45 PM   #2014
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Would you feel better if I qualified "voters" somehow?
Probably. If you had said 'key voters', it would have been accurate. 'People who vote Republican', yeah. But conflating what voters want with things like Trump being elected is just incorrect. He's the most unpopular president in modern poling. This isn't an unknowable 'just so' story; he is not what the voters wanted by every metric we have. He's what the electoral system produced. He's what the state systems 'wanted' for a creative use of the word.

He won. He did not win by being what most (or even the most) voters wanted.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:48 AM   #2015
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Yes, I'm still trying to make sense of the fact that so many Americans are so bigoted and resentful that they voted for a lying fascist demagogue and his transparently empty "only I can fix it" promises -- as if such an obviously ignorant and incompetent person could fix anything. As if such an absurdly self-absorbed person really cared about anything except his own bloated, fragile ego. I really don't want to face the apparent fact that as a nation, no longer able to distinguish between reality and reality TV, we have become too stupid and gullible to govern ourselves rationally. And don't tell me to blame Hillary because she was such a bad candidate; you guys had like 20+ candidates to chose from but you really, really liked the racist, misogynistic, xenophobic demagogue.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:12 AM   #2016
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe they're saying the candidate with the most votes should win rather than an archaic system that was designed to keep someone like Trump out of office. Also its nothing new. It was certainly discussed in 1876 & 1888.
[...]

Or maybe?
I can't wait for this claim's justification.

Or maybe?
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:16 AM   #2017
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to know what you think is going to happen if more and more people move to "liberal" states and we end up having a president lose with 60% of the vote?

Same to you.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:07 AM   #2018
dann
Illuminator

Where did the Al Franken thread go?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:40 AM   #2019
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I don't care as long as he doesn't go back to work for SNL.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:11 AM   #2020
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Al Franken is done.
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:16 AM   #2021
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yes, I'm still trying to make sense of the fact that so many Americans are so bigoted and resentful that they voted for a lying fascist demagogue and his transparently empty "only I can fix it" promises -- as if such an obviously ignorant and incompetent person could fix anything. As if such an absurdly self-absorbed person really cared about anything except his own bloated, fragile ego. I really don't want to face the apparent fact that as a nation, no longer able to distinguish between reality and reality TV, we have become too stupid and gullible to govern ourselves rationally. And don't tell me to blame Hillary because she was such a bad candidate; you guys had like 20+ candidates to chose from but you really, really liked the racist, misogynistic, xenophobic demagogue.

We?
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:25 AM   #2022
ahhell
Muse

Keep in mind that anyone who runs for president is necessarily a narcissistic ******* who thinks and often says, "only I can fix it". The 20 other candidates are also a reason Trump got through, they split the vote among GOP voter's who didn't want said narcissistic *******. And really I blame I don't blame the Hillary because she was such a bad candidate, it was the Dems vault because they refused to see that running such a bad candidate essentially unopposed in the primary in a primary that really did give the impression of of being rigged. Seriously, WA state had a primary that literally didn't matter. Can you blame Dem voters for feeling cheated?

Granted, the GOP leadership is really to blame for letting their party slip out of their control and running a much more democratic primary than the Dems.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:03 AM   #2023
lobosrul5
Thinker

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post

Or maybe?
I can't wait for this claim's justification.

Or maybe?
You want me to justify holding elections where the candidate with the most votes wins Or do you want me to show you evidence that people on the left would generally prefer that we do so?

Last edited by lobosrul5; 3rd January 2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:07 AM   #2024
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Keep in mind that anyone who runs for president is necessarily a narcissistic ******* who thinks and often says, "only I can fix it".
No, you must think that "narcissistic" just means "big ego." That's not really what narcissistic personality disorder means. There's a tiny little man trying to hide inside that huge but fragile ego bubble, living in constant fear that his smallness and unworthiness will be exposed, and who lashes out when it is. And comparing Trump to any other candidate or president indicates a serious state of denial.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:46 PM   #2025
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

So when you say that it's disingenuous to claim the ballot results from California represented an accurate or meaningful count of support, why do you still believe...
You misunderstand. It has nothing to do with 'belief', it's just pure partisanship. Any argument that gains a point for your side - no matter how specious - is good. And any counterargument - no matter how valid - is to be derided, misrepresented or ignored.

That's how the game is played. But the rules are not fixed, they will be changed without notice whenever it becomes obvious that you are losing. Because winning is the only thing that matters!
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:52 PM   #2026
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, you must think that "narcissistic" just means "big ego." That's not really what narcissistic personality disorder means. There's a tiny little man trying to hide inside that huge but fragile ego bubble, living in constant fear that his smallness and unworthiness will be exposed, and who lashes out when it is.
Al Franken packed a lot of harassment into a 5 foot 6 inch tall frame.

Good riddance to bad rubbish
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:19 PM   #2027
mgidm86
Illuminator

There was no popular vote. The two-party dominance and the EC system mean that a lot of voters don't have a lot of motivation to go to the polls for national elections. I voted in California last year. I'm a conservative: how much relevance did my vote have, out side of local ballot issues? Why would I even go to the polls? How does the "popular vote" narrative on the left account for this confounding factor?

I voted for Trump because I knew (here in Cali) that my vote would essentially go to Hillary anyways. I could never vote for her, not even now.

If it were a popular vote I would have abstained, so that wouldn't have helped Trump. I assume that some Trump supporters in Cali did not bother voting but I have no way of knowing.

Anyways, b-bye Stuart Smalley.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:57 PM   #2028
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Al Franken packed a lot of harassment into a 5 foot 6 inch tall frame.

Good riddance to bad rubbish
No, he is a good man and was a good senator, and slander by your lot is a badge of honor.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:03 PM   #2029
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, he is a good man and was a good senator, and slander by your lot is a badge of honor.
'slander by your lot." What "lot" is that exactly?

The women he demeaned throughout the years that ended up with him resigning in disgrace?

He was a tiny man with a grope fetish who treated women like ****, end of story.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:10 PM   #2030
Cleon
King of the Pod People

'slander by your lot." What "lot" is that exactly?

The women he demeaned throughout the years that ended up with him resigning in disgrace?

He was a tiny man with a grope fetish who treated women like ****, end of story.
Are we talking about Franken or Trump at this point?

Your blatantly partisan selective outrage is amusing, I'll give you that.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:13 PM   #2031
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

Sorry, it's not even amusing at this point.

Just tedious.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:25 PM   #2032
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

Trump?

Thread title:

"Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny...."
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:55 PM   #2033
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Sorry, it's not even amusing at this point.

Just tedious.
Tedius is such a strong word. I like to refer to it as "classic". Something predictable that can be comforting even if not that substantial.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:29 PM   #2034
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Tedius is such a strong word. I like to refer to it as "classic". Something predictable that can be comforting even if not that substantial.
Discussing issues in the appropriate thread is indeed classy.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:54 PM   #2035
Lurch
Thinker

Ya know, I was sexually assaulted several times in my late teens, when I was still a virgin. An acquaintance of the family, a couple years older than me, was notorious for her 'looseness'. She got around--a LOT--and the various sores and other skin blemishes I naively thought to be the manifestations of various and sundry STDs. And that she smoked was only another factor that rendered her as distasteful.

For some reason she got it into her head that my refusal to yield to her less than subtle 'advances' was the issuance of a challenge. She'd chase me down in the house and occasionally corner me. I was a scrawny beanpole in those days, all ribs, kneecaps and shoulder blades. She was of stout stock, and the combination of her strength and my desire to not hurt her meant it was tough to keep her hands from worming their way down into my pants. But I'd struggle free successfully enough before she got to grips, if you know what I mean.

Late one night I was walking her home, because she'd expressed some worry about safety. Part of the way along she suddenly grabbed me and planted a sloppy, tongue-jamming kiss, all cigarette ashtray like. Geez, I can still so easily recall the ghastly experience, which was back in '80 or '81. I still did the honorable thing and walked her the crest of the way home.

That was the last time she got near enough to touch me again...

By today's definition these acts constitute sexual assault, because I made it abundantly clear there was no interest in reciprocation from me. Even though I was a hormone-addled 18 year old virgin who would have welcomed the attention of a more appealing girl, the pawing and more by such a revolting creature was unsettling. Do I moan about it, and demand redress? Naw, it's far behind me, and thankfully I didn't contract some nasty disease.

Franken's actions, as I view them in the light of some experience, hardly constitute acts that demand the termination of his career. The USNO kiss is the worst that I'm aware of, but it was after all in the context of a practice for a skit, not some complete surprise 'attack' like the one I endured. And hands that might slide a little low down on a hip (over clothing) constitutes a soul-shattering violation?

I still respect Franken, in no small measure for his instinct to immediately acknowledge the complaints and offer himself unreservedly to an ethics investigation, and for not denying and attacking the accusers and invoking his godly ways.

A person (man or women) can be given to acting somewhat on impulse when attracted to someone without it making them a monster. I would have liked to see what an ethics investigation would have returned.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:17 PM   #2036
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Ya know, I was sexually assaulted several times in my late teens, when I was still a virgin. An acquaintance of the family, a couple years older than me, was notorious for her 'looseness'. She got around--a LOT--and the various sores and other skin blemishes I naively thought to be the manifestations of various and sundry STDs. And that she smoked was only another factor that rendered her as distasteful.

For some reason she got it into her head that my refusal to yield to her less than subtle 'advances' was the issuance of a challenge. She'd chase me down in the house and occasionally corner me. I was a scrawny beanpole in those days, all ribs, kneecaps and shoulder blades. She was of stout stock, and the combination of her strength and my desire to not hurt her meant it was tough to keep her hands from worming their way down into my pants. But I'd struggle free successfully enough before she got to grips, if you know what I mean.

Late one night I was walking her home, because she'd expressed some worry about safety. Part of the way along she suddenly grabbed me and planted a sloppy, tongue-jamming kiss, all cigarette ashtray like. Geez, I can still so easily recall the ghastly experience, which was back in '80 or '81. I still did the honorable thing and walked her the crest of the way home.

That was the last time she got near enough to touch me again...

By today's definition these acts constitute sexual assault, because I made it abundantly clear there was no interest in reciprocation from me. Even though I was a hormone-addled 18 year old virgin who would have welcomed the attention of a more appealing girl, the pawing and more by such a revolting creature was unsettling. Do I moan about it, and demand redress? Naw, it's far behind me, and thankfully I didn't contract some nasty disease.

Franken's actions, as I view them in the light of some experience, hardly constitute acts that demand the termination of his career. The USNO kiss is the worst that I'm aware of, but it was after all in the context of a practice for a skit, not some complete surprise 'attack' like the one I endured. And hands that might slide a little low down on a hip (over clothing) constitutes a soul-shattering violation?

I still respect Franken, in no small measure for his instinct to immediately acknowledge the complaints and offer himself unreservedly to an ethics investigation, and for not denying and attacking the accusers and invoking his godly ways.

A person (man or women) can be given to acting somewhat on impulse when attracted to someone without it making them a monster. I would have liked to see what an ethics investigation would have returned.

That's some fine excuse-making
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:55 PM   #2037
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
That's some fine excuse-making
That’s some fine point-missing.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:03 PM   #2038
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
That’s some fine point-missing.
There was a point missed but it might not be the person you are thinking of.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:26 PM   #2039
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

There was a point missed but it might not be the person you are thinking of.
That's some fine wagon-circling.

(Yet, neither of you choose to address the very cogent point made by Lurch. Color me surprised.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 08:58 AM   #2040
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That's some fine wagon-circling.

(Yet, neither of you choose to address the very cogent point made by Lurch. Color me surprised.)
A male "who would have welcomed the attention of a more appealing girl, the pawing and more by such a revolting creature was unsettling" saying he had it worse from a "loose" "revolting" woman than did numerous women had from a powerful man is a "cogent" point?

Why how dare those women moan about it, they were not a loose cigarette smoking slut like our correspondent had to endure, and all without "moaning" about it you see! Those women ought to zip their lips because Al Franken is one of the good ones!

How unbelievably ludicrous can you get?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics