ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:37 PM   #1961
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Agreed. Where are you going with this?
The post I responded to used that phrase. The reason we are not seeing it is because there is a big range between impeachment level activity and an assault on the capital.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:40 PM   #1962
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Check The Guardian website

Last edited by GlennB; 3rd January 2018 at 02:58 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:44 PM   #1963
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think this is a good spot for this smiley.
I think this might be better:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post

I'm pretty sure this site allows for hotlinking. I think we'll need many more popcorn gifs by the time we're done.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:47 PM   #1964
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
As a Californian I am happy to hear that. I don't know if that is the correct move, but please do whatever can be done - not holding my breath. We Californians are not asked about any of this anymore, you know like by voting.

I'd like my tax dollars used to manage this instead:

San Francisco Homeless Camps (some of these are not in SF, I recognize the locations so many are)

San Jose freeway is lined with homeless garbage and waste. Everywhere in downtown San Jose - the city is a smelly homeless camp.

"We" were stupid enough - stupid stupid enough to re-vote in Jerry Brown. So what can I say, "we" deserve it I suppose.

Anyone want to take a guess as to why California is so bent on making itself a haven for illegals? We know it isn't compassion - governments don't do compassion. The people didn't vote for it, and in fact polls have shown that Californians are against sanctuary cities/state.

Someone really wants this though don't they?
I think we're getting a little OT, but I like the topic. I'll go ahead and start a new thread.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:51 PM   #1965
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
This looks promising...
Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president’s son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as “treasonous” and “unpatriotic”, according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-michael-wolff
A little bit more about the book in question:

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/03/trum...ok-claims.html
Michael Wolff's book, "Fire and Fury," describes colorful comments made by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, former chief of staff Reince Priebus, chief economic advisor Gary Cohn and national security advisor H.R. McMaster. "There was now a fair amount of back-of-the-classroom giggling about who had called Trump what. For Steve Mnuchin and Reince Priebus, he was an 'idiot.' For Gary Cohn, he was 'dumb as s--t.' For H.R. McMaster he was a 'dope.' The list went on," an excerpt reads, according to NBC.

Good thing that Trump has brought respectability back to the U.S.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:11 PM   #1967
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.

Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn’t as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans. Steve doesn’t represent my base—he’s only in it for himself.

Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem far more important than he was. It is the only thing he does well. Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books.

We have many great Republican members of Congress and candidates who are very supportive of the Make America Great Again agenda. Like me, they love the United States of America and are helping to finally take our country back and build it up, rather than simply seeking to burn it all down.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-bannon-322279

So Presidential it hurts!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:12 PM   #1968
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Who knew that a staff of self interested piranhas would turn on you?

This will be messy. The right was already fractious. Now even the MAGA faction will be split up and fighting each other.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:19 PM   #1969
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like Fusion GPS and Steele are coming out swinging on the fake news charges.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:21 PM   #1970
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
This is obviously causing him so much anguish. His emotional pain over this "betrayal" is delicious.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:28 PM   #1971
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

I'm particularly amused by this part:
Quote:
Like me, they love the United States of America and are helping to finally take our country back and build it up, rather than simply seeking to burn it all down.
If he was that offended by plans to 'burn it all down,' maybe he shouldn't have allied with Bannon, since Bannon literally said that this was his plan in many interviews over the last few years.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:53 PM   #1972
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC News 10 revelations from the book.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42559436

I like number 6
6. Ivanka mocks dad's 'comb-over'
The US first daughter poked fun at her father's alleged "scalp-reduction surgery", according to the book.

"She treated her father with a degree of detachment, even irony, going so far as to make fun of his comb-over to others. She often described the mechanics behind it to friends: an absolutely clean pate - a contained island after scalp-reduction -surgery - surrounded by a furry circle of hair around the sides and front, from which all ends are drawn up to meet in the center and then swept back and secured by a stiffening spray. The color, she would point out to comical effect, was from a product called Just for Men - the longer it was left on, the darker it got. Impatience resulted in Trump's orange-blond hair color."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:54 PM   #1973
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction: The PDJT has Bannon arrested as a threat to national security.
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:57 PM   #1974
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Prediction: The PDJT has Bannon arrested as a threat to national security.
No, but as the noose tightens, it will complain on Twitter as to why it is being investigated and Bannon, isn't.
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:40 PM   #1975
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Could this be the beginning of the end? Probably not, but it’s fun watching 45 sweat.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:07 PM   #1976
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Could this be the beginning of the end? Probably not, but it’s fun watching 45 sweat.
Grabem by the pussy or making fun of a disabled journalist should have been the end bit the Trump trainwreck goes from explosion to explosion.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:09 PM   #1977
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
This is obviously causing him so much anguish. His emotional pain over this "betrayal" is delicious.
Quote:
President Donald Trump and his senior aides were fuming on Wednesday after the publication of a book excerpt containing a series of explosive comments from former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.

Trump ranted about Bannon in conversations with advisers on Wednesday, at one point telling aides he is “not well,” according to a person briefed on the conversations.

“Trump was livid,” this person said about his mood on Wednesday.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...onflict-322278

In one or two thousand years people will find the happenings of the "Era of Trump" to be simply so outrageous and unbelievable that most of it's probably just exaggerated to paint America in the worst light possible.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:20 PM   #1978
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...onflict-322278

In one or two thousand years people will find the happenings of the "Era of Trump" to be simply so outrageous and unbelievable that most of it's probably just exaggerated to paint America in the worst light possible.
It won't take that long. In 10 years or so, you won't be able to find anyone outside a trailer park who will admit to voting for The Hair and the rest of the country will wake and think we need to find a new LSD dealer because our current supplier is passing bad ****.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:22 PM   #1979
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
BBC News 10 revelations from the book.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42559436

I like number 6
6. Ivanka mocks dad's 'comb-over'
The US first daughter poked fun at her father's alleged "scalp-reduction surgery", according to the book.

"She treated her father with a degree of detachment, even irony, going so far as to make fun of his comb-over to others. She often described the mechanics behind it to friends: an absolutely clean pate - a contained island after scalp-reduction -surgery - surrounded by a furry circle of hair around the sides and front, from which all ends are drawn up to meet in the center and then swept back and secured by a stiffening spray. The color, she would point out to comical effect, was from a product called Just for Men - the longer it was left on, the darker it got. Impatience resulted in Trump's orange-blond hair color."
That's the knife going in and twisting for calling her a "piece of ass" on Howard Stern. Thanksgiving has to be like "Beyond Thunder Dome" in the Trump House.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:41 PM   #1980
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

That's the knife going in and twisting for calling her a "piece of ass" on Howard Stern. Thanksgiving has to be like "Beyond Thunder Dome" in the Trump House.
I envision making a bowl of Shreddies in that environment is halfway to Fury Road.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:44 PM   #1981
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

It won't take that long. In 10 years or so, you won't be able to find anyone outside a trailer park who will admit to voting for The Hair and the rest of the country will wake and think we need to find a new LSD dealer because our current supplier is passing bad ****.
Y'know that thing about Woodstock where if you ask around, people say "Yeah, I was there man, it was a real scene," and if you add them all up, allegedly nine million people were there?

I think the same thing will happen to the 2016 presidential election. "No way did I vote for Trump, I was Hillary all the way," and these stories will add up to about 250 million people claiming they voted against Trump.

Which will fuel voter fraud urban legends for the foreseeable future.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:04 PM   #1982
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

I note that Breitbart ain’t shooting this latest piece of excitement down, they’re retweeting various pieces in fact.

It would take one word from Bannon to refute this, but one word there is not.

Happy times.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:09 PM   #1983
Arcade22
Illuminator

Apparently millions of illegal votes cast during the election, every single one of them for Crooked Hillary, isn't worth investigating even though it cost Trump the popular vote.

Yup.
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:45 PM   #1984
Stacko
Philosopher

Apparently millions of illegal votes cast during the election, every single one of them for Crooked Hillary, isn't worth investigating even though it cost Trump the popular vote.

Yup.
This observation seems accurate:
The real goal was to use it as a conduit to get state voter records, to plug in to Operation Crosscheck and other vote-suppressing mechanisms. Once that went awry in the courts, there was no reason for it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:32 PM   #1985
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As much as it pains me, the white house is probably right about the bannon book being made up. It would be bizarre if bannon chose to be fastidious now.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:29 PM   #1986
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
As much as it pains me, the white house is probably right about the bannon book being made up. It would be bizarre if bannon chose to be fastidious now.
Bannon book? You might wanna check again the author's name, if you're referring to "Fire and Fury."
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:54 PM   #1987
Civet
Graduate Poster

Yup.
I did note one potentially troubling detail in the White House statment:

Quote:
he has asked the Department of Homeland Security to review its initial findings and determine next courses of action
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 02:37 AM   #1988
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I like that even Bannon admits Breitbart isn't reputable.
Old 4th January 2018, 02:47 AM   #1989
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No evidence of fraud but it is there, it's the states involved that are to blame for not providing evidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/u...ommission.html

Quote:
Trump on Wednesday abruptly shut down a White House commission he had charged with investigating voter fraud, ending a brief quest for evidence of election theft that generated lawsuits, outrage and some scholarly testimony, but no real evidence that American elections are corrupt.

Mr. Trump did not acknowledge the commission’s inability to find evidence of fraud, but cast the closing as a result of continuing legal challenges.

“Despite substantial evidence of voter fraud, many states have refused to provide the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity with basic information relevant to its inquiry,” Mr. Trump said in a White House statement.
In fact, no state has uncovered significant evidence to support the president’s claim, and election officials, including many Republicans, have strongly rejected it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 02:49 AM   #1990
Worm
Master Poster

What exactly is the 'substantial evidence of voter fraud' ?

Other than 'I didn't win the popular vote, and I react to such things like a small child.'

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 03:07 AM   #1991
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump lawyers threaten legal action

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42563443
US President Donald Trump's lawyers have written to his former strategist Steve Bannon, saying he has violated a non-disclosure agreement.

The cease-and-desist notice accuses Mr Bannon of defaming the president in speaking to author Michael Wolff.

His lawyers said Mr Bannon had broken his employment agreement by speaking to Wolff about Mr Trump and his family, "disclosing confidential information" and "making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr Wolff about Mr Trump, his family members, and the Company", the letter said.
Old 4th January 2018, 03:26 AM   #1992
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wanna bet this is all sound and fury, signifying nothing ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 03:30 AM   #1993
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42563443
US President Donald Trump's lawyers have written to his former strategist Steve Bannon, saying he has violated a non-disclosure agreement.

The cease-and-desist notice accuses Mr Bannon of defaming the president in speaking to author Michael Wolff.

His lawyers said Mr Bannon had broken his employment agreement by speaking to Wolff about Mr Trump and his family, "disclosing confidential information" and "making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr Wolff about Mr Trump, his family members, and the Company", the letter said.
Of course, if what Bannon said isn't true, then it can't be subject to an NDA. Still, I hope this goes to court. It'd be fun seeing Trump testifying about Bannon's statements...
Old 4th January 2018, 03:50 AM   #1994
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Wanna bet this is all sound and fury, signifying nothing ?

Does anyone think Trump understands the discovery process and it’s implications?
Old 4th January 2018, 03:54 AM   #1995
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Does anyone think Trump understands the discovery process and it’s implications?
My understanding is that Trump uses lawsuits and/or the threat of same to attempt to intimidate opponents and rivals. From what I've seen, lawsuits are either not forthcoming, they are withdrawn or they are settled. They rarely run their full course and when they do, Trump is rarely successful.

I don't see Bannon/Brietbart yielding to pressure so I reckon nothing will come of the threat of the lawsuit and like so many Trump promises, the melt away like spring snow.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:18 AM   #1996
carlosy
Thinker

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Grabem by the pussy or making fun of a disabled journalist should have been the end bit the Trump trainwreck goes from explosion to explosion.
The train has been wrecked long time ago. But somehow it keeps rolling. It seems like the only way to stop it, is when the tracks end at some point.

Scenes from movies with tracks ending before deep gorges come to my mind...
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2018, 04:19 AM   #1997
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on ending the voter fraud investigation

Quote:
Many mostly Democrat States refused to hand over data from the 2016 Election to the Commission On Voter Fraud. They fought hard that the Commission not see their records or methods because they know that many people are voting illegally. System is rigged, must go to Voter I.D.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:25 AM   #1998
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
What exactly is the 'substantial evidence of voter fraud' ?

Other than 'I didn't win the popular vote, and I react to such things like a small child.'
People who are dead, have moved away from the residence where they lived when they registered or any other invalid entries in voter registration rolls.

These entries don't have to used by people to cast multiple votes, or even just a single illegal one. Their mere existence constitutes "voter fraud" as explained by Trump.

As with "fake-news" Trump has a very strange definition of what "voter fraud" entails.

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th January 2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 4th January 2018, 04:48 AM   #1999
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The TV series and movie will have so much wonderful material to work with. It will be great to be able to get to see the drama going on behind the scenes. I mean like to be a fly on the wall right now around the Whitehouse.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:13 AM   #2000
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump on ending the voter fraud investigation
That's right. If people don't cooperate with an investigation, and that lack of cooperation is evidence of criminal wrongdoing, then the correct course of action is to end the investigation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics