ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 29th December 2017, 06:04 AM   #281
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
In case anybody missed Luke making the case, here it is again.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
And, in case you missed it, the question I asked about this video is - so what? You brought up Harding, nobody else. Why did you do that?
Old 29th December 2017, 06:08 AM   #282
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Given how this Part 3 of the thread developed so far, I think it would be uncool to not link to Alexander Mercouris' just published two cents on the Harding interview.
This is doubly ironic, given that you're trying to discredit Harding, who nobody other than you had even mentioned, and in order to do so you link to a Russian propaganda site, to an article written by someone who posts Russian propaganda and whose lack of integrity goes far beyond plagiarism - given his established record of lying, fraud and forgery.

So go on, tell me again, how bringing up the pasts of journalists is "weakmindedness", and nothing but an "ad hominem".
Old 29th December 2017, 06:14 AM   #283
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It is almost 2018, Squeegee. You have been waiting faithfully all the time, and I told you all the time it is in vain. Saint Mueller isn't coming. You've been fooled. To the extent that everybody who hasn't is a "Russian agent" in your mind. That's embarrassing.
From this post, I'm going to guess you're quite young. Some things take time. Let's see where we are this time next year before dismissing out of hand the investigation that the chief investigator of has said will be ongoing through most of 2018 at the very least. Patience.
Old 29th December 2017, 06:29 AM   #284
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Nixon WaterGate Took over two years give this Time it is still a Young investigation.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 06:31 AM   #285
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And, in case you missed it, the question I asked about this video is - so what? You brought up Harding, nobody else. Why did you do that?

A totally idiotic question I ignored for your benefit, and even had already answered to someone else before you asked it. It is a bestselling book exactly about the topic of this thread, and at least one resident has read it, likely several more. Couldn't be more relevant. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by your constant low-quality whining, so I just point out that I proposed to you that we should be patient and see what happens several pages ago. Glad you agree now.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 29th December 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 06:41 AM   #286
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It is a bestselling book exactly about the topic of this thread, and at least one resident has read it, likely several more.
Yes, but - so what?
Old 29th December 2017, 06:44 AM   #287
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yes, but - so what?

Old 29th December 2017, 06:53 AM   #288
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's what I thought - it's just "this person who holds an opinion that I don't agree with has done things I think are wrong". Which...okay. And?
Old 30th December 2017, 10:56 AM   #289
Stacko
Philosopher

Papadopoulos flipping looks like a much bigger deal than originally thought.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/3....co/hip2eHsoj8

So much for the dossier being the cause of the original FBI investigation.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 04:30 PM   #290
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

You don't think that Fake News like that is going to fool Trump True Believers™, do you?

Just for starters it came from some Down Under Aussie. Why would a "diplomat" (wink, wink) be talking to a coffee boy?

And all those Aussies are left-wing radicals anyway. Even their conservatives are Liberals.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 04:56 PM   #291
Venom
Graduate Poster

I do think the dossier is still what jump-started the investigation.

I think we need to take a closer look; was Papadopoulos told by Russian agents about this attempted transaction? Behind the scenes what's going on.

I've said that I think the dossier's allegations was an attempt by Russian agents posing as insider sources of spreading misinformation.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 05:32 PM   #292
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post
Then you are not paying attention.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 05:35 PM   #293
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Listen to what Insane McCain's pool boy Lindsey (of all people) has to say about that at 4 minutes in:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th December 2017, 07:45 PM   #294
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Listen to what Insane McCain's pool boy Lindsey (of all people) has to say about that at 4 minutes in:

I AGREE
The Steele dossier says Paul Manafort, Carter Page and others were colluding with Russians, and we now know that's true. Tell me again why it matters who paid for it.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 07:51 PM   #295
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
You don't think that Fake News like that is going to fool Trump True Believers™, do you?

Just for starters it came from some Down Under Aussie. Why would a "diplomat" (wink, wink) be talking to a coffee boy?

And all those Aussies are left-wing radicals anyway. Even their conservatives are Liberals.
And so is the leadership of the FBI, all liberal shills..........despite their lifelong Republican status'.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 08:31 PM   #296
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post
That's simply perverse. The Aussies, the Brits, the Dutch and the FBI's own lying eyes were telling them stuff was going on long before Steele entered the frame.

Quote:
I think we need to take a closer look; was Papadopoulos told by Russian agents about this attempted transaction? Behind the scenes what's going on.
On stage front, the portrayal of Papadopolous as a bumptious wannabe fallen amongst thieves is, to me, utterly convincing. As is the utterly dysfunctional campaign organisation he pranced around in.
Quote:
I've said that I think the dossier's allegations was an attempt by Russian agents posing as insider sources of spreading misinformation.
I have more respect for Steele's abilities and less fantastical tendencies.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 01:12 AM   #297
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson explains why the NYT article doesn't go far enough in its conclusions and what publicly-known evidence lines up with it
Old 31st December 2017, 01:17 AM   #298
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

That the investigation isn't reliant on the Dossier and that Mueller is a man of integrity who will do a good job in this investigation and who shouldn't be attacked? At last we can agree on something, Empress.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:50 AM   #299
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet with Trump sycophants, but the revelation that Papadopolous knew about the stolen emails in May of 2016 is a torpedo below the waterline of SS Trump.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 01:53 AM   #300
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

That the investigation isn't reliant on the Dossier and that Mueller is a man of integrity who will do a good job in this investigation and who shouldn't be attacked? At last we can agree on something, Empress.

Play dumb all you want but don't drag me into it.
Old 31st December 2017, 02:17 AM   #301
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

[oops, wrong space]

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 31st December 2017 at 02:19 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 02:37 AM   #302
Lurch
Critical Thinker

So Trump of late has been opining publicly that he expects Mueller will "treat me fairly."

Oh yeah, he will, Donnie. Just know that "fairly" and "favourably" are NOT the same thing.

I wonder why the numerous talking heads with the news outfits I've watched segments of on YT have not raised this important distinction.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 02:01 AM   #303
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Play dumb all you want but don't drag me into it.
It was you who posted the video in which he said those things. Are you now saying that you don't agree with what he said in the video? If so, then why did you post it?
Old 1st January 2018, 02:25 AM   #304
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Not that anybody who's been following this at all needs more evidence, but more evidence that the Steele Dossier was not the basis of the investigation into Trump

Quote:
Britain’s spy agencies played a crucial role in alerting their counterparts in Washington to contacts between members of Donald Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, the Guardian has been told.

GCHQ first became aware in late 2015 of suspicious “interactions” between figures connected to Trump and known or suspected Russian agents, a source close to UK intelligence said. This intelligence was passed to the US as part of a routine exchange of information, they added.

Over the next six months, until summer 2016, a number of western agencies shared further information on contacts between Trump’s inner circle and Russians, sources said.

The European countries that passed on electronic intelligence – known as sigint – included Germany, Estonia and Poland. Australia, a member of the “Five Eyes” spying alliance that also includes the US, UK, Canada and New Zealand, also relayed material, one source said.
Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you
Read more

Another source suggested the Dutch and the French spy agency, the General Directorate for External Security or DGSE, were contributors.

It is understood that GCHQ was at no point carrying out a targeted operation against Trump or his team or proactively seeking information. The alleged conversations were picked up by chance as part of routine surveillance of Russian intelligence assets. Over several months, different agencies targeting the same people began to see a pattern of connections that were flagged to intelligence officials in the US.
Old 2nd January 2018, 11:31 AM   #305
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Tee-hee. It's a small world: https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/s...05507410857985

Originally Posted by Mark Ames (Yup, the guy who Luke Harding plagiarized)
Took @nytimes & their anonymous sources a little over 1 Friedman Unit (6 mos.) to change their story about which hustler—Carter Page? George Papadopoulos?—triggered FBI's Russiagate investigation [four pics attached]
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:22 PM   #306
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

First off, this is another case of "okay. And?" Perhaps this time you'll answer the question - so what?

Secondly, you appear to have posted a link that demonstrates a lack of reading comprehension (or deliberate obfuscation) on Ames' part. The two quotes in question:

Quote:
[Carter Page]'s trip last July was a catalyst for the F.B.I. investigation[...]
Quote:
The hacking and the revelation that [Papadopolous] may have had inside information [...] were driving factors that led the F.B.I. to open an investigation[...]
He seems to have read "a catalyst" as "the catalyst" and "driving factors" as "the only factors".
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:26 PM   #307
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

^ If that's good enough for you as an excuse for these two leading stories by the same rag and partly even the same authors, well, just rest assured that it isn't people like that who I'm posting for. And remember: Relax.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:26 PM   #308
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I didn't even know who those authors were before you brought them up, so I feel no need to make any kinds of "excuse" for them. It makes absolutely no difference to me if they're the best reporters in the world or the worst reporters in the world.

However, I will note that, again, you've failed to explain what relevance you believe what you post has. And you've also failed to muster a defense of Ames' misrepresenting the content of those articles. Let's just hope for his sake, and the sake of those who get their information from him, that it wasn't deliberate on his part, shall we?

And I do wonder, though - who are you posting for? You evidently have no idea why I'm posting, despite the fact that I've explicitly said so, so instead you presume. This says a lot more about you than it does about me.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:35 PM   #309
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

The founders of Fusion GPS are calling on the House and Senate committees to release transcripts of their testimony.

The Republicans’ Fake Investigations

Quote:
In the year since the publication of the so-called Steele dossier — the collection of intelligence reports we commissioned about Donald Trump’s ties to Russia — the president has repeatedly attacked us on Twitter. His allies in Congress have dug through our bank records and sought to tarnish our firm to punish us for highlighting his links to Russia. Conservative news outlets and even our former employer, The Wall Street Journal, have spun a succession of mendacious conspiracy theories about our motives and backers.

We are happy to correct the record. In fact, we already have.

Three congressional committees have heard over 21 hours of testimony from our firm, Fusion GPS. In those sessions, we toppled the far right’s conspiracy theories and explained how The Washington Free Beacon and the Clinton campaign — the Republican and Democratic funders of our Trump research — separately came to hire us in the first place.

<snip>
Republicans have refused to release full transcripts of our firm’s testimony, even as they selectively leak details to media outlets on the far right. It’s time to share what our company told investigators.

We don’t believe the Steele dossier was the trigger for the F.B.I.’s investigation into Russian meddling. As we told the Senate Judiciary Committee in August, our sources said the dossier was taken so seriously because it corroborated reports the bureau had received from other sources, including one inside the Trump camp.
It's all unraveling.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:41 AM   #310
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Hmm? I'm left to wonder what is fake about the investigations? The Republicans are seriously trying to find any dirt or loophole that they can, by the look of it. That they happen not to be investigations focused on finding the truth about something that they think could be politically damaging to them, but rather on ways to try to negate the political damage is a different matter entirely!

Either way, the Republicans have been pushing absurdity for years. Why would they stop before their base seriously takes them to task for it?
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:53 AM   #311
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Hmm? I'm left to wonder what is fake about the investigations? The Republicans are seriously trying to find any dirt or loophole that they can, by the look of it. That they happen not to be investigations focused on finding the truth about something that they think could be politically damaging to them, but rather on ways to try to negate the political damage is a different matter entirely!

Either way, the Republicans have been pushing absurdity for years. Why would they stop before their base seriously takes them to task for it?

Why would they stop even then?

It isn't like that base is going to start voting for Democrats as a reflection of their ire.

There might be some pundit posturing and crocodile tears at the very worst of the transgressions and tomfoolery, but when it comes time to go to the polls they'll hold their noses and vote Republican anyway.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:39 AM   #312
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It seems even Steve Bannon thinks that Trump Jr, Kushner and Manaford meeting with a Russian laywer at Trump Tower was "treasonous".

This story notes that ... "Bannon remarked mockingly: “The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad ****, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 07:23 AM   #313
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
It seems even Steve Bannon thinks that Trump Jr, Kushner and Manaford meeting with a Russian laywer at Trump Tower was "treasonous".

This story notes that ... "Bannon remarked mockingly: “The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers.

“Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad ****, and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”
#oysteinbookmark so I can find the preview to Wolff's book "Fire and Fury" again
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:38 AM   #314
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, sure, Steve Bannon is now accusing Trump of treason. And there is evidence that Trump's team knew that meeting with Russians and discussing sanctions would be illegal, but did it anyway[/i]. But, on the other hand, the [i]New York Times published two different stories that, if you misrepresent what they say, might possibly say slightly different things to each other.

It's hard to know where the preponderance of evidence points, really.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 3rd January 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:04 AM   #315
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Well, sure, Steve Bannon is now accusing Trump of treason.

No, not sure. A Guardian writer says Bannon is quoted as such in a book "obtained by the Guardian ahead of publication from a bookseller in New England" by a writer known for his ********, and a first quote in that book is already denied before publication if you scroll to the last paragraph in the Guardian piece and read it.

You are sure. It isn't.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:30 AM   #316
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

You're right. Direct, attributed quotes are definitely less reliable than some quibbling semantics. You've convinced me. Trump rules!
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:32 AM   #317
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Trump responds: Bannon "lost his mind" after losing his job as aide.

"Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind."

Last edited by Matthew Best; 3rd January 2018 at 11:38 AM.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:40 AM   #318
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Trump also says that the 17 candidates he beat for the Republican nomination were "often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party".

Old 3rd January 2018, 12:03 PM   #319
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Citation for the above: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42560520

Quote:
"Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind," Mr Trump said in a statement on Wednesday.

"Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party," he continued.

"Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn't as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country."
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:18 PM   #320
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Wow, talk about throwing Bannon under the bus. And not just your average bus, we're talking bi-articulated, 14 wheels of mauling. I, mean, just wow.

"Just a staffer", "Very little to do with..victory"?!

Bannon is getting a harsh lesson on how little Trump values loyalty towards others.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics