ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th December 2017, 09:47 AM   #1
corybluefire
Thinker

Does sleeping with a sliced potato in your sock reduce cough/fever?

😂😂😂😂😂

"So I saw an article about putting potatoes in the babies sock when they’re sick. So Deairres had a little cold and i put potatoes in his socks last night around 8-9pm. He didn’t cough through the night..nose isn’t running...isn’t as congested and he slept for 12 hrs. 🙌🏾 the potatoes out of his sock were black 😳 now before people mention “oxidation” i left the other parts of the potato on the counter to see the difference and..."
corybluefire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 09:51 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Much more effective stuck in their ear or up a nostril. Seriously. Someone really really clever told me that.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by corybluefire View Post
the potatoes out of his sock were black"

They need to wash their kid's socks and feet more often.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 10:07 AM   #4
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

I saw something come up on Facebook about putting sliced onions in your socks when you sleep but can't remember what it was supposed to do. Now potatoes! Think I'll just tie my feet into some bags of soup, that should sort out everything.

Last edited by alexi_drago; 29th December 2017 at 10:12 AM.
alexi_drago is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I tried it once. Didn't seem to make much difference except that the socks were a bit wet the next morning when I went to put them back on, so I changed to a new pair of socks. The potatoes were the same color.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:15 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Did anyone here ever have their mother rub butter on the lump when they bumped their head as a child? Or give them an infusion of liver-wort if they suspected liver problems? We're dealing with the same level of scientific understanding with this crap.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 10:28 AM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

These home remedy cures never seem to dictate using expensive exotic or illegal things.

For sniffles, place a whole black truffle in each sock. For fever, place a dried panda penis in each shirt sleeve. For lung cancer, place the toenail of a California condor beneath your tongue for seven hours a day until the affliction passes.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
These home remedy cures never seem to dictate using expensive exotic or illegal things.

For sniffles, place a whole black truffle in each sock. For fever, place a dried panda penis in each shirt sleeve. For lung cancer, place the toenail of a California condor beneath your tongue for seven hours a day until the affliction passes.
Fixed that for you as everyone knows it has to be placed in the left cheek - Jesus K Christ don't you know anything about scientific medicine?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Is this before or after dicksing it?
Old 29th December 2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Apathia
Illuminator

Where was this advice when I needed it?
(Just getting over double whammy of Flu and Bronchitis.)

Perhaps if I'd slept in a tub of mashed potatoes?

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

If you place a whole potato in a sock you can use it as a weapon. A stone can be even better.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:12 PM   #12
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (well, that one time, anyways).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Actually those things seem to remind me of some of the ingredients used in Chinese medicine. The rarer, the more endangered, the more powerful the medicinal effects (ostensibly).
Old 29th December 2017, 09:06 PM   #14
mikado
Graduate Poster

An Indonesian friend, whilst as a child very ill with chickenpox was bathed several times in water that a feathered chicken had been soaked in for hours...the ultimate magical thinking
Old 29th December 2017, 09:13 PM   #15
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Actually those things seem to remind me of some of the ingredients used in Chinese medicine. The rarer, the more endangered, the more powerful the medicinal effects (ostensibly).
Was intending to post the exact same thing.

Also the believe that Chinese "medicine" (the fake kind, not real Chinese medicine, which is the same as Western medicine) has to taste really bad, otherwise it isn't working. Hence embittering agents in all concoctions.

I think the advice is confused.

You put a slice of potato into your tobacco pouch to make your tobacco go mouldy. (I'm not sure if that is the intention, but it surely is the effect)
Old 30th December 2017, 12:23 AM   #16
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Did anyone here ever have their mother rub butter on the lump when they bumped their head as a child? Or give them an infusion of liver-wort if they suspected liver problems? We're dealing with the same level of scientific understanding with this crap.
They used to put a steak on a black eye here in the states.
Old 30th December 2017, 01:35 AM   #17
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It works, but only if you use the right incantations to force the Evil Cough Spirits from the human host into the potato.
Old 30th December 2017, 02:06 AM   #18
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
Post hoc ergo potato hoc. Surely!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 02:17 AM   #19
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

����������

"So I saw an article about putting potatoes in the babies sock when they’re sick. So Deairres had a little cold and i put potatoes in his socks last night around 8-9pm. He didn’t cough through the night..nose isn’t running...isn’t as congested and he slept for 12 hrs. ���� the potatoes out of his sock were black �� now before people mention “oxidation” i left the other parts of the potato on the counter to see the difference and..."
I hope you're not suggesting that this anecdote is evidence that this particular folk remedy actually works. Anyone who has been a member of this forum for five years should know what constitutes reliable evidence for the efficacy of a medical treatment, and that a single anecdote falls far short of it.
Old 30th December 2017, 02:26 AM   #20
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

The real solution is to sacrifice a goat, smear its blood on the floor around the bed in a circle, put the severed head on the headboard, and drape the entrails over your sleeping child.
Rhinoviruses really hate that.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 03:43 AM   #21
geoman
Doctor of Rock

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
The real solution is to sacrifice a goat, smear its blood on the floor around the bed in a circle, put the severed head on the headboard, and drape the entrails over your sleeping child.
Not as much as the goat does.
geoman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 04:26 AM   #22
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

You put a slice of potato into your tobacco pouch to make your tobacco go mouldy. (I'm not sure if that is the intention, but it surely is the effect)
I'd heard it was potato skins/peelings. The intention is to keep the tobacco from drying out, with resealable packs now it's not as much of a problem but with leather pouches I can imagine the tobacco drying out and breaking up into powdery flakes quite quickly making it a pain to roll and not very nice to smoke.
Old 30th December 2017, 08:18 AM   #23
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I can’t recall the product now, but it was some sort of pad you were supposed to put on your feet like this, and they would “draw out” whatever sickness you had.
The proof offered was that the pads would turn black.

Analysis showed that the pads contained a lot of iron sulfide (or something similar) which would oxidize in contact with sweat....

Also, why would you need potatoes... I thought that Apple Cider Vinegar was supposed to cure damn near anything.....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 09:14 AM   #24
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post

Also, why would you need potatoes... I thought that Apple Cider Vinegar was supposed to cure damn near anything.....
It leaks out of the socks.
Old 30th December 2017, 09:32 AM   #25
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Amazingly, the bottoms of your feet are both dirty and sweat. This causes potato slices and various new-age pads to turn black. It is not only medically useless, but there is no mechanism by which it ever could work.

Also, colds go away. If you use a silly folk remedy, the cold will go away. It'll stop eventually in all cases. It has nothing to do with potatoes.

Think of it this way: There is no such thing as alternative medicine. Something either works, in which case doctors would use it, or it doesn't work, in which case it's nonsense.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 02:10 PM   #26
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

😂😂😂😂😂

"So I saw an article about putting potatoes in the babies sock when they’re sick. So Deairres had a little cold and i put potatoes in his socks last night around 8-9pm. He didn’t cough through the night..nose isn’t running...isn’t as congested and he slept for 12 hrs. 🙌🏾 the potatoes out of his sock were black 😳 now before people mention “oxidation” i left the other parts of the potato on the counter to see the difference and..."
Per the title: NO!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2017, 03:46 PM   #27
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

I tend to abide by the saying that if you treat a cold it will last for seven days, and if you do nothing it will last a week. Which is not to say I won't treat the symptoms with actually effective medicine - but it's a self-limiting complaint.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:21 AM   #28
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

James Randi did a book on faith-healing, and he pointed out a typical process.

Most diseases are self-limiting. Further, they tend to “peak” in terms of symptoms just before they start to get better. Usually, folks will “tough it out” and avoid treatment till things get really uncomfortable, then they’ll try anything, be that a trip to the doc or a trip to the health-food or supplement store.
They take the homeopathic remedy or the folk-cure and viola! They get better.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 08:33 PM   #29
ddt
Mafia Penguin

James Randi did a book on faith-healing, and he pointed out a typical process.

Most diseases are self-limiting. Further, they tend to “peak” in terms of symptoms just before they start to get better. Usually, folks will “tough it out” and avoid treatment till things get really uncomfortable, then they’ll try anything, be that a trip to the doc or a trip to the health-food or supplement store.
While I agree with your explanation of how people self-delude on how such "medicine" helps - isn't the highlighted a tautology? A peak is per definition the point after which it goes downhill.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:09 AM   #30
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

And poaching of these animals for the Traditional Chinese Medicine trade is one of the two biggest reasons for so many being critically endangered, and eventual going extinct (the other being habitat loss, with the pressures from both about equal in most cases).

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

My late father-in-law recommended a slice of apple for the same reason. It's ostensibly supposed to maintain the proper level of humidification for pipe tobacco, but I prefer distilled water and a purpose-made porous clay disk for the same purpose.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:33 AM   #31
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

"Viola"?

Perhaps you meant "voilà"?

Although they do say that "Music has charms to soothe the savage breast.", which could be a prescription of sorts, I suppose.

quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:35 PM   #32
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
And poaching of these animals for the Traditional Chinese Medicine trade ...
I watch a few vlogger types on Youtube who live in China. The TCM thing seems to run deep. It crops-up all over and is a basis for behaviour. For example, the will eat dogs because the meat is said (in TCM) to warm the body. The onset of winter usually spells a rise in such trade.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:53 PM   #33
crescent
Master Poster

Decapitate the goat, smear the blood around the bed by dragging the carcass by its hind legs. You don't need to limit it to the bed, you can go around the perimeter of the house. If you don't have a goat, a chicken can be a second-rate substitute, but that does not bleed enough to make a whole path around the house.

For a larger facility such as a hospital or barracks, use a water buffalo, dragged around the perimeter of the building. Need a sword for that, rather than a khukri, and two strong men to do the dragging.

The things one learns while serving in the Peace Corps....

ETA: "strong" men, not "string" men. Typos will be the death of me someday.

Last edited by crescent; 3rd January 2018 at 01:10 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:05 PM   #34
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I can’t recall the product now, but it was some sort of pad you were supposed to put on your feet like this, and they would “draw out” whatever sickness you had.
The proof offered was that the pads would turn black.

Analysis showed that the pads contained a lot of iron sulfide (or something similar) which would oxidize in contact with sweat....

Then how did the 5-day deodorant pads work? Huh? Gotcha!
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:07 PM   #35
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Does she just lie there? Or does she really getcher socks off?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:10 PM   #36
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

A sasquatch nut sack under your armpit...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:34 PM   #37
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Why is the OP even here?

The story goes

"According to American mom Debbie Vigan’s Facebook post, placing peeled potatoes on your child’s feet can reduce the child’s symptoms of colds and make him or her feel a little bit better. Here she explains the effects of doing this hack on her son Deairres, who experienced a minor cold last December"

and it's been repeated in every ignorant corner of the web.

The smelliest piece of crap is the image of the sliced potatoes in the kitchen and those which were in the socks. It is the de-cerebrated mom who claims

«the potatoes out of his sock were black 😳 now before people mention “oxidation” i left the other parts of the potato on the counter to see the difference and...»

as if chemical processes were identical at temperatures slightly below 37°C, sandwiched between salty sweat and fabric and on the kitchen counter, open air, during a cold night of December (in the Northern Hemisphere).

Have we stoop that low as to discuss such pitiful topic?
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:44 PM   #38
crhkrebs
Muse

Hmmm.......and I smear snot (complete with full complement of rhinoviruses) in a circle around my bed and I have never been attacked by goats in my sleep.
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:47 PM   #39
crhkrebs
Muse

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
I tend to abide by the saying that if you treat a cold it will last for seven days, and if you do nothing it will last a week.
Yep, the "tincture of time".
crhkrebs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:02 PM   #40
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
.......Have we stoop that low as to discuss such pitiful topic?
Discuss it? Who's done that?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology