ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:11 PM   #41
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
What's funny (to me at least, being an Oregon resident) is that for all these years, here in Oregon "full service" meant clean the windshield, check the wiper fluid, check the tire pressure, and check the oil - extremely rare since about the mid 80s.

A little freak-out about the change to self-service is to be expected. It's new, it's less convenient (at least at stations where one can pay without getting out of the car), and jobs will be lost. We'll get over it.

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Anyone not up to the job of pumping their own fuel, outside of disability status, is probably not competent enough to be trusted with operating a motor vehicle.
I have never pumped my own petrol, ever, although it doesn't look particularly complicated.

Here in SA, self service petrol stations aren't a thing at all. The pumps can only be operated by magnetic keys carried by the fuel jockeys. Oh and the offer to clean the windscreen, check tyres etc. is absolutely standard practice. In fact, if your windscreen is dirty from a long drive, they won't even bother asking. It just gets done.

It's an employment thing here. Lots of cheap unskilled labor and many people tip the jockeys about 1% the cost of a tank petrol, which helps to supplement the low wages.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:11 PM   #42
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Only in 'merica!

Meanwhile, here in the land of commonsense, gas stations are installing credit/debit card enabled prepay pumps so that motorists can have the option of filling up or pumping a predetermined amount of gas without leaving the forecourt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fwek8pwpu...Fuel.jpg?raw=1

1. Insert your card and enter your PIN
2. Pump your gas
3. Remove your card and drive away
Those have been the norm here for more than 20 years. The only attendants at nearly every gas station I know of are the clerks that are in the stop-n-go markets associated with some gas stations.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 10:13 PM   #43
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Exactly the same as here in California.

Same as here in NC. Been that way for years. As well as all the states I've traveled to. (I don't go to New Jersey. )

Even in backward West Virginia.

(I once was trying to find an open gas station late on a Sunday evening in a no-stoplight town deep in the real boonies of the state. There were none, but helpful locals directed me to one of those fully automated 'no-human' set-ups mentioned upthread. Literally in the middle of nowhere, miles outside of what little of a town there was where I got those directions. Nothing but three gas pumps standing like lonely sentinels in a tiny patch of gravel beside the road. In the middle of the night. I was able to pump gas with my credit card, though. So I was happy. A bit spooked, mebbe, but happy.)

Quote:

Please don't make statements about "merica" when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Exactly.

Last edited by quadraginta; 1st January 2018 at 10:22 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 10:19 PM   #44
philkensebben
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I was just in OR a couple of days ago and had to get gas. I don't mind not pumping it myself, but it bothers me to hand my credit card over to some minimum wage flunky. Which I do frequently in restaurants without worrying.
Are your credit card details often stolen by 'minimum wage flunkies' ?
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 10:19 PM   #45
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Meanwhile, here in the land of commonsense, gas stations are installing credit/debit card enabled prepay pumps so that motorists can have the option of filling up or pumping a predetermined amount of gas without leaving the forecourt.
They're only just now installing them? Why so recent?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 10:20 PM   #46
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
It's an employment thing here. Lots of cheap unskilled labor and many people tip the jockeys about 1% the cost of a tank petrol, which helps to supplement the low wages.
95 to the first click please. The tires are fine, but you can wash the windscreen - thanks.

Like an autopilot script, I say that at least one a week.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:29 PM   #47
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Only in 'merica!

2. Pump your gas
We've had those in the Netherlands for over 15 years with the advent of totally unattended gas stations. With two corrections:
4) they also ask if you want a receipt
5) I don't think they're really prepaid, they just check if you have enough money in your bank account to charge it after you're done pumping gas.

And the "attended" stations here - really only with one or two guys in the shop behind the cash register - now install them too so they can serve gas also at night when the shop is closed.

ETA: oh, and the one time I pumped gas in the USA I also saw such a payment terminal, but somehow it wouldn't accept my Dutch credit card so I had to go inside to solve that...

I think there were still a few full-service stations around when I got my driver's license 31 years ago, but I can't for the hell remember ever using one. People, like those in the OP, who claim they can't pump gas themselves should have their driver's license revoked. Yes, with exception to the disabled, of course.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 1st January 2018 at 11:30 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:50 PM   #48
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
It's like this in 48 of the 50 states. Only Oregon and New Jersey are the outliers.
And in Australia for that matter.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:18 AM   #49
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that self-serve will lower the price of gas in Oregon.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:14 AM   #50
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

As a former Texan, transplanted to Oregon via marriage, I love not having to pump gas. In the almost 18 years we've been here, I never minded having the attendants do their jobs. No matter the weather, I don't have to do it.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:49 AM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

One thing I'd wish our white-heat of technology petrol stations would adopt is the USA ability to preset how much fuel will be dispensed!
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:06 AM   #52
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

That's a safety thing, apparently.
If something drastic like a fire occurs, the pump doesn't mindlessly keep on doling out motion lotion until it reaches X litres or Y pounds.

It'd be useful for those annoying times when the pump decides to charge you say £20.01 of course.
I keep a few 1p pieces in my car for when that happens, it's better than being given a pocketful of shrapnel.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:08 AM   #53
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
That's a safety thing, apparently.
If something drastic like a fire occurs, the pump doesn't mindlessly keep on doling out motion lotion until it reaches X litres or Y pounds.

It'd be useful for those annoying times when the pump decides to charge you say £20.01 of course.
I keep a few 1p pieces in my car for when that happens, it's better than being given a pocketful of shrapnel.
Hmmm... that sounds more like an excuse than a reason, in the States when I've used such a system I still had to hold the trigger on the pump.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:24 AM   #54
Hubert Cumberdale
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
One thing I'd wish our white-heat of technology petrol stations would adopt is the USA ability to preset how much fuel will be dispensed!
Tesco have such wonders
Hubert Cumberdale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:26 AM   #55
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

My local Tesco has done this for years.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:37 AM   #56
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Only in 'merica!

2. Pump your gas
Just like Asda
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:42 AM   #57
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It wasn't a debit card, not even my bank account credit/debit card.

I have gotten said pin numbers with a couple (but not all) of my credit cards. I just never use them here. I don't have those pins memorized because you don't need them here.

Zip code here, yes, but in Iceland they wanted the pin number.

I once got caught in the mirror-image situation. I know the pin for all my cards but Zip code? What the hell is a Zip code?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:43 AM   #58
fagin
Philosopher

I just fill up and pay by card which I settle each month

Like the queen I don't carry cash.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:45 AM   #59
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the Stations here in town, certainly the big names, BP, Z, Mobil, Challenge!, and Caltex, all have attendants that will come and do things for you if you want them too, usually they'll ask if you're okay or if you need them to do stuff and do whatever. The smaller names such as Gull and New World (a supermarket) have no attendants at all, it's pay and go. Only Mobil here has EFT-POS at the pump, while one of the Caltex stations has half their pumps set up as pay first probably because it's on the side that heads directly onto the road out of town rather than to the traffic lights, so they likely have had more drive offs on that side.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:45 AM   #60
Duffy Moon
Master Poster

Hmmm... that sounds more like an excuse than a reason, in the States when I've used such a system I still had to hold the trigger on the pump.
Oh right, there might be two types then.
Pretty sure I've seen (in film and TV) American pumps where the driver sticks the nozzle into the car, pulls the trigger and is able to walk away whilst it fills up.

I'm happy be corrected by any USAian posters if that's not the case.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:48 AM   #61
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hubert Cumberdale View Post
Tesco have such wonders
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
My local Tesco has done this for years.
Really? How strange, the only local Tesco to me that has a petrol station attached doesn't have it. Honestly never come across one in the UK.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:48 AM   #62
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

We can put in the $$ amount. With a bit of math and a calculator you could use that to determine the litres.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:28 AM   #63
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

This was never going to be an exciting thread, but I'm pretty sure descriptions of how people pay for gasoline is rock bottom.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:36 AM   #64
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

In New Jersey fines for attempting to pump your own gas are as high as 250 dollars for the first offense and 500 dollars for the second offense.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:06 AM   #65
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Pretty sure I've seen (in film and TV) American pumps where the driver sticks the nozzle into the car, pulls the trigger and is able to walk away whilst it fills up.

I'm happy be corrected by any USAian posters if that's not the case.
If you look at the trigger on a UK pump you'll often be able to see a little clip mechanism that doesn't seem to do anything. That is for automatic pumping, but as this is illegal in the UK for safety reasons the pin that it would engage with isn't fitted.
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:06 AM   #66
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
This was never going to be an exciting thread, but I'm pretty sure descriptions of how people pay for gasoline is rock bottom.
I sometimes buy a coffee to go when filling up. Best reason to walk inside the store to pay. You can put the coffee on the same bill, or pay separately.
No full service here in Germany though: I have to stir the coffee myself, even if I were disabled, I think.

*duck*
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:12 AM   #67
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Asda have them at some of their stations and there's one I stop at near Pickering lets you press a pre pay limit and the pump stops when it is reached.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:21 AM   #68
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I sometimes buy a coffee to go when filling up. Best reason to walk inside the store to pay. You can put the coffee on the same bill, or pay separately.
No full service here in Germany though: I have to stir the coffee myself, even if I were disabled, I think.

*duck*
Sounds like the perfect recipe for driving off with the handle still in the car if you ask me. In my time as an attendant, the people I had do that were all ones that came in and did stuff while waiting for the tank to fill, and then paid for it without returning to the car to remove the handle. After 2 that I failed to stop and 1 that I managed to get their attention before they did any damage, I started to remind people that did that to remove the handle before getting into their car, and always watched to make sure that they did.

My Apollo Page.
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:28 AM   #69
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Interesting. Might it be that the handicapped have a more difficult time in getting drivers' licenses there? As another poster pointed out, it's part of the American With Disabilities Act (the ADA) that businesses provide certain services to assist those with disabilities and our gas stations fall under those provisions (some buildings don't, for example, and there are other various exceptions which I had remained entirely ignorant of until I was unable, for a time, of actually going to stores in a wheelchair that I could access while walking.

Believe me, it sucked. I had at least insisted on a manual wheelchair and not electric so for a while I got pretty buff, upper-body wise!
I'm pretty sure it isn't due to difficulty obtaining a license, we also have very strong and we'll enforced laws on accessibility for disabled people, reserved parking etc. My guess is that either people who would find filling up difficult fill up when they have someone with them to jump out and do it or that they know which service stations have the most (and most helpful) staff and I don't happen to have ever gone to the right one at the right time. Or it's coincidence/ me being oblivious of course.

It's also possible that there is a clever solution in place that I'm just not aware of, wireless hearing loops and rfid keys to disabled facilities are quite widespread (to the point that a lot of the walking trails I use have 'kissing gates' where the stop can be released with an rfid key to allow wheelchair access), it wouldn't surprise me if there was a some system in place at larger petrol stations so that staff were discretely made aware when someone required assistance and simply pop out and do it quickly and unobtrusively and that I simply haven't noticed.
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:33 AM   #70
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Anyone not up to the job of pumping their own fuel, outside of disability status, is probably not competent enough to be trusted with operating a motor vehicle.

I don't know about where you live but round here "probably not competent enough to be trusted with operating a motor vehicle" is certainly not likely to inhibit someone's chances of obtaining a driving license.
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:30 AM   #71
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Wow! I don't drive and never have, but even I don't have a problem filling up the car I'm a passenger in, if the driver (i.e. relative or friend) asks me to.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:39 AM   #72
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Supermarket Petrol Stations would be an even bigger shock in the USA. The pumps are an't only self service, you pay by card at the pump in advance. No staff at all.
The USA is already familiar with such arrangements. Don't confuse local idiosyncrasies for national conventions.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:40 AM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I think he may be referring to the "no staff" part of the whole deal. At least, that's how I read it.
Most gas stations in America are effectively "no staff" already.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:52 AM   #74
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If you look at the trigger on a UK pump you'll often be able to see a little clip mechanism that doesn't seem to do anything. That is for automatic pumping, but as this is illegal in the UK for safety reasons the pin that it would engage with isn't fitted.
Which is why the truly lazy jam the trigger open with the petrol cap....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:58 AM   #75
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I always pump myself, sometimes I let the other half pump it for me and that's nice when she does. I think once, in the Highlands, an old guy pumped it and it made me feel uncomfortable.

(C'mon, somebody had to do it!)
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:59 AM   #76
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I started driving when most all stations were “full service” and pulling up to the pump became a sort of social event. A small army of eager young lads would descend on your car to check oil and water and wiper fluid (and pump gas...) while you went inside to hobnob with the station owner, who was normally a neighborhood fixture.
The whole process might take half an hour, and all for the sale of a few bucks worth of gas.

I used to fill up my first car, a 1966 VW, for about 2 dollars.

I also remember when we went almost entirely self-service. I was at the station one day, filling up the patrol car, when an elderly fellow fussed with the self-service pump for several minutes and finally threw the thing on the ground in disgust.

Never seemed all that difficult to me....We used self-service stations in Germany in the mid-60s.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:02 AM   #77
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
I have never pumped my own petrol, ever, although it doesn't look particularly complicated.

Here in SA, self service petrol stations aren't a thing at all. The pumps can only be operated by magnetic keys carried by the fuel jockeys. Oh and the offer to clean the windscreen, check tyres etc. is absolutely standard practice. In fact, if your windscreen is dirty from a long drive, they won't even bother asking. It just gets done.

That's what I miss.

Over here most even charge for air. And there's normally only one airline around the side with a queue.
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:06 AM   #78
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

And again this already covered under the ADA*

From the Official ADA webpage: https://www.ada.gov/gasserve.htm (bolding mine)
That's a bit different from what I meant. That could require action on the part of the driver - i.e. beeping or pushing a button and honestly in most gas stations around here that means the one person working the register has to leave their station, so they may have to finish serving a line of customers before being able to do so.

I'm talking the sort of full service as it exists in those states right now. Someone who's primary job is pumping gas for people. You just pull up to a pump an attendant approaches without having to request one.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:12 AM   #79
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I always pump myself, sometimes I let the other half pump it for me and that's nice when she does. I think once, in the Highlands, an old guy pumped it and it made me feel uncomfortable.

(C'mon, somebody had to do it!)
I once observed a couple of very young ladies on a saturday night, dressed to kill and with full war paint, trying to gas up daddy's Mercedes. Eventually they turned to me for help. Problem: they did not know how to open the lid with the key! Priceless
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:19 AM   #80
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Most stations are like this. Though in certain localities, that feature is disabled because it's not allowed by law.

The pumps, of course, automatically shut off when the tank is full. Most gas station pumps I've seen don't give you the option to specify the amount of money you wish to spend, if you want to do that, you usually have to have an attendant tell the pump that. There's nothing really preventing the interface on the pump from doing so; I assume that feature is not often found simply because people who want to only put $20 in gas are more likely to eyeball it rather than get an attendant, and put in a bit more than they intended to, so that's an extra few cents for the gas station.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events