ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:24 PM   #41
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Kids have to be interested in reading before they will be interested in plots. I tend to agree with what others have told you, the plots listed in the article would be unlikely to be interesting to any gender.

I do agree that bad plots can put kids off reading if they have nothing else, but there are a lot of good books out there and parents have more of an ability to get their kids interested in reading than teachers can. I got my interest in reading because whenever possible my parents would take me to the library and get me a stack of books. I also learned because we didn't have a TV until I was 9!

Smartphones, TV's, and computers are wonderful devices, but they have had a seriously devastating effect on people's ability to read and write. Even amongst many adults now, anything over 140 characters is too hard for them to read. Why would you expect it to be different for the kids growing up on that technology every day?
But you obviously think there is no difference in what boys are into at a young age and girls

Hence your tendency to not say boys
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:48 PM   #42
dann
Philosopher

Now, it might help if we actually knew what we were talking about.

The book about the boy, his grandmother and the quilt is probably this one:
Gary Paulsen: The Quilt
And based on the description, it is not at all a book that wants to teach young boys how to quilt or even about quilting. One (disappointed) reader’s comment: “I expected more depth of character development, maybe learn a little about quilting, instead it focused on a family waiting for an old woman to die.”
Other comments view the book favorably, and both the book and the author seem to be quite popular. (It's for 8-12-year-olds!)

On the other hand, I’m not claiming that a book about a boy riding his father’s motorcycle through a storm wouldn’t be interesting, but it would be very unrealistic (and nothing per se wrong with that) if the boy was the same age as the one in the quilt story. I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 18, and the boy in the quilt story would have to get at least 40 kilos heavier in order to handle any of the motorcycles I’ve been riding. Just saying.

And books about sports?! I don’t know. They might interest some boys, but in all my life I’ve never read a single book about boys and sports that I found interesting. I also suspect that most boys would rather do sports than read about it. I was (and still am) more athletic than average, but also a voracious reader. (Does anybody actually read books about sports? Isn’t it something that you buy as Christmas presents for people who are into sports, hoping that it might turn them onto reading, but probably never succeeding?)

If we look at unrealistic fiction, Harry Potter seems to have captured the minds of both boys and girls (and it’s about a boy doing exciting (albeit unreal) stuff), so when boys don’t read much, I think that it’s probably due to other things, e.g. computer games, and I’m not sure that an ordinary book can compete with that anymore.

PS There are also the grandmothers who try to make quilts (not quilting) that appeal to young boys and come up with NSFW solutions that might get them into trouble with over-zealous social workers!

PPS And for those of you who would rather read about triffids (me too!), there's always the Plants versus Zombies series!

PPPS Gary Paulsen also writes books like this one:
Quote:
Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single-engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a tattered Windbreaker and the hatchet his mother gave him as a present—and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart since his parent’s divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self pity, or despair—it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive.
Hatchet (Brian’s Saga book one)
So Joy Cowley in the OP appears to be full of it! They do write and publish books like this nowadays. Why boys don't read them (if that's true at all!) is a different question.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 2nd January 2018 at 01:23 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:04 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I think they have all gone a bit touchy feely to be fair.

No kids lying. No kids running off on an adventure by themselves. No kid getting in fights etc etc
I think your opinion on fiction for kids is not that well informed.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:17 AM   #44
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

We have moved on from putting children into one of two boxes for these such purposes. Kids of either gender can have books about slaughtering animals or being heros in war.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:21 AM   #45
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Here is the era of boys fiction OP is yearning for:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:25 AM   #46
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Now, it might help if we actually knew what we were talking about.

The book about the boy, his grandmother and the quilt is probably this one:
Gary Paulsen: The Quilt
And based on the description, it is not at all a book that wants to teach young boys how to quilt or even about quilting. One (disappointed) reader’s comment: “I expected more depth of character development, maybe learn a little about quilting, instead it focused on a family waiting for an old woman to die.”
Other comments view the book favorably, and both the book and the author seem to be quite popular. (It's for 8-12-year-olds!)

On the other hand, I’m not claiming that a book about a boy riding his father’s motorcycle through a storm wouldn’t be interesting, but it would be very unrealistic (and nothing per se wrong with that) if the boy was the same age as the one in the quilt story. I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 18, and the boy in the quilt story would have to get at least 40 kilos heavier in order to handle any of the motorcycles I’ve been riding. Just saying.

And books about sports?! I don’t know. They might interest some boys, but in all my life I’ve never read a single book about boys and sports that I found interesting. I also suspect that most boys would rather do sports than read about it. I was (and still am) more athletic than average, but also a voracious reader. (Does anybody actually read books about sports? Isn’t it something that you buy as Christmas presents for people who are into sports, hoping that it might turn them onto reading, but probably never succeeding?)

If we look at unrealistic fiction, Harry Potter seems to have captured the minds of both boys and girls (and it’s about a boy doing exciting (albeit unreal) stuff), so when boys don’t read much, I think that it’s probably due to other things, e.g. computer games, and I’m not sure that an ordinary book can compete with that anymore.

PS There are also the grandmothers who try to make quilts (not quilting) that appeal to young boys and come up with NSFW solutions that might get them into trouble with over-zealous social workers!

PPS And for those of you who would rather read about triffids (me too!), there's always the Plants versus Zombies series!

PPPS Gary Paulsen also writes books like this one:

So Joy Cowley in the OP appears to be full of it! They do write and publish books like this nowadays. Why boys don't read them (if that's true at all!) is a different question.
Did you actually read the page on that quilt book

Please tell me you are joking

Its chicks talking about growing up
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:55 AM   #47
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Here is the era of boys fiction OP is yearning for:

You mean the closet gay kind? British boarding schools, male bonding, strict discipline, not a single female creature within walking distance etc.?
Yeah, that might be it.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:05 AM   #48
dann
Philosopher

Did you actually read the page on that quilt book

Please tell me you are joking

Its chicks talking about growing up

No, I'm not joking. (Well, I am, obviously, but not about this.)
And, yes, I did read the page. I also read this:

Quote:
Referring to himself only as "the boy," Paulsen presents another semi-autobiographical reminiscence (Wendy Lamb Bks., 2004) about his beloved grandmother who raised him during the difficult years of World War II. With his mother working in a munitions factory in Chicago (and entertaining many men in their apartment), the six-year-old is sent to live with his grandmother in Minnesota. While there, they move in with Kristina, a pregnant relative, to help on her farm while her husband is in the service. When Kristina goes into labor, many local women gather at the home to assist. As they wait, they bring out the quilt of the title and tell stories about the people that each quilt square represents.

It's a war story. Semi-autobiographical, apparently. And what happens in real wars is that men are sent to the front and the young boys stay behind with the women and probably get to know about them and their lives in a way that they otherwise wouldn't.
Why don't you buy it and read it? It looks interesting, and I think that you could learn something from it. There's also a sequel.

Last edited by dann; 2nd January 2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:27 AM   #49
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
No, I'm not joking. (Well, I am, obviously, but not about this.)
And, yes, I did read the page. I also read this:

It's a war story. Semi-autobiographical, apparently. And what happens in real wars is that men are sent to the front and the young boys stay behind with the women and probably get to know about them and their lives in a way that they otherwise wouldn't.
Why don't you buy it and read it? It looks interesting, and I think that you could learn something from it. There's also a sequel.
It's about women bonding over a quilt by talking about their lives when their husbands went to war

In other words it's pants

Old 2nd January 2018, 02:29 AM   #50
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

It's about women bonding over a quilt by talking about their lives when their husbands went to war

...I think we've found the problem. And it isn't books about quilts.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:45 AM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...I think we've found the problem. And it isn't books about quilts.
Forgive me for pointing out the obvious

That most boys don't want to read about women bonding while doing a quilt and talking about life where the husbands have gone to war to a child

Well I didn't when I was young

Maybe I'm just a weird boy

Old 2nd January 2018, 02:45 AM   #52
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Wish you'd make your mind up - first of all you say it's about quilts, now you say it's about pants!

Old 2nd January 2018, 02:51 AM   #53
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...you didn't point out anything obvious. What you did do was offer critique on a book that you apparently haven't read.

Quote:
That most boys don't want to read about women bonding while doing a quilt and talking about life where the husbands have gone to war to a child
You aren't the spokesperson for all young boys.

Quote:

And was there a shortage of books available to read when you were young? What books did you read? Were they books about quilts, or did you have the ability to read something else? Did you have access to the library? Whitcoulls?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 02:54 AM   #54
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Did you want to read when you were a little kid?

I think most of my peer group didn't want to read, regardless of what there was to read. Certainly by 11 I was an outlier being a verocious reader.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:00 AM   #55
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Did you want to read when you were a little kid?

I think most of my peer group didn't want to read, regardless of what there was to read. Certainly by 11 I was an outlier being a verocious reader.
Yeah

Holidays away and stuff especially

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:03 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah

Holidays away and stuff especially
Who choose what books you read?
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:04 AM   #57
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

...you didn't point out anything obvious. What you did do was offer critique on a book that you apparently haven't read.

You aren't the spokesperson for all young boys.

And was there a shortage of books available to read when you were young? What books did you read? Were they books about quilts, or did you have the ability to read something else? Did you have access to the library? Whitcoulls?
If you think the book sounds great for boys good for you

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:11 AM   #58
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Who choose what books you read?
Spent most holidays at the grandparents farm

Found the left over ones from when all my uncle's were growing up

Total aside:

It's where I got my addiction to early MAD magazines as well!

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:11 AM   #59
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

If you think the book sounds great for boys good for you
...that isn't an answer to my questions.

I had no problem finding books that interested me in school. I would suggest (outside of anecdotes from non-experts like Joy Cowley and click-bait headlines from news organizations that should know better) that not a lot has changed.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:27 AM   #60
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

...that isn't an answer to my questions.

I had no problem finding books that interested me in school. I would suggest (outside of anecdotes from non-experts like Joy Cowley and click-bait headlines from news organizations that should know better) that not a lot has changed.
Yes but decent boys books aren't what teachers are recommending

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:31 AM   #61
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

But you obviously think there is no difference in what boys are into at a young age and girls

Hence your tendency to not say boys
I think that there is no set thing that boys are into or that girls are into at a set age. Humans as a species are highly diverse and you will find girls that are into big trucks and Star Wars, and boys that are into My Little Pony and tea parties (not the political kind either.)

I also think that anyone that thinks that they can box children according to their genitals is deluding themselves about something.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:33 AM   #62
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's the Author's fictionalised biography. He's telling a story about what he himself did as a young boy in the form of a fictional story.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:37 AM   #63
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

...how do you know what teachers are recommending?

Joy Cowley is a wonderful author. But she isn't an expert on the education system. She has offered a couple of anecdotes. Can you verify those anecdotes? Are you claiming teachers only recommending two books?
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:38 AM   #64
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think that there is no set thing that boys are into or that girls are into at a set age. Humans as a species are highly diverse and you will find girls that are into big trucks and Star Wars, and boys that are into My Little Pony and tea parties (not the political kind either.)

I also think that anyone that thinks that they can box children according to their genitals is deluding themselves about something.
I beg to differ

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:39 AM   #65
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, it's the Author's fictionalised biography. He's telling a story about what he himself did as a young boy in the form of a fictional story.
I'm sure for the author it's very interesting but it's about women bonding

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:41 AM   #66
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

...how do you know what teachers are recommending?

Joy Cowley is a wonderful author. But she isn't an expert on the education system. She has offered a couple of anecdotes. Can you verify those anecdotes? Are you claiming teachers only recommending two books?
Well we know boys are getting worse outcomes at school especially in reading and writing. Maybe we could look at some of the potential causes.

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:48 AM   #67
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

We have moved on from putting children into one of two boxes for these such purposes. Kids of either gender can have books about slaughtering animals or being heros in war.
Heroes too.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:50 AM   #68
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I beg to differ
Yeah I have gotten that repeatedly in multiple threads, it still doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:50 AM   #69
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Well we know boys are getting worse outcomes at school especially in reading and writing.
...cite please.

Quote:
Maybe we could look at some of the potential causes.
Sure. Can you back up your claims on what teachers are recommending? What evidence is out there that suggests recommending books about flowers to boys is a potential cause of worse outcomes at school?
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:52 AM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure for the author it's very interesting but it's about women bonding
No, it's about a boy learning his family's history. Since you haven't read any of it, you have no idea what the stories they tell him are about.

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:53 AM   #71
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Heroes too.
And the odd heroine.

Dragonlance etc rocked when I was a kid

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:54 AM   #72
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I don't think we've established that is the case, one or two anecdotes don't provide enough evidence but...

...when I was a kid (under 11 and a long time ago) the books recommended by my teachers were terrible and that had nothing to do with being for boys or for girls, they were just boring rubbish genre books. But not good genre like horror or science fiction, crappy genre like literature.

I suspect teachers have always recommended "worthy" books rather than entertaining books that would catch the interest of red-blooded girls or boys.
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:55 AM   #73
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well we know boys are getting worse outcomes at school especially in reading and writing. Maybe we could look at some of the potential causes.
Why would book recommendations come into it?
Old 2nd January 2018, 03:57 AM   #74
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, it's about a boy learning his family's history. Since you haven't read any of it, you have no idea what the stories they tell him are about.
Um yeah

Ladies and gentlemen

I give you a pants book

Quote:
As they wait, they bring out the quilt of the title and tell stories about the people that each quilt square represents.

Old 2nd January 2018, 03:59 AM   #75
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Why would book recommendations come into it?
Well in some cases where the parents aren't readers the teachers recommendations are what kids go by as it's their only encouragement

Old 2nd January 2018, 04:05 AM   #76
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps people already have been..... you know, like this Uni of Victoria Study:

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, there is no broad evidence that boys as a group are achieving at levels below those for girls. In the areas of mathematics and science, there is no evidence of a gender gap in terms of mean achievement for boys and girls. This conclusion is supported by evidence from international studies (PISA, TIMMS, etc) and assessment programs that provide monitoring against the New Zealand curriculum. The evidence for New Zealand students closely mirrors the profile of performance in these curriculum areas in Australia.

In terms of literacy, there is evidence that the gender gap may be marginally wider in writing than in reading for New Zealand students. The extent of the difference in reading performance between boys and girls can be quantified as 3–6 months of learning. This gap does not appear to change substantially from mid-primary through into the mid-secondary years. The evidence does not indicate what the gap is at the end of secondary education as the assessments that are made at that stage include a range of skills beyond core reading and writing skills. The gender gap in achievement in reading and writing is wider on assessments associated with international studies, compared to those based on assessments that are designed to have a high level of alignment with the New Zealand curriculum.

As for mathematics and science, there are strong parallels in the New Zealand profile of gender differences in achievement in literacy in Australia. A critical component of differences in achievement literacy for boys and girls is the longer tail of achievement for boys. Marginally more boys than girls are to be found below the 10th percentile point for the distribution of Achievement in literacy. This is reflected in the larger number of boys in early-years literacy intervention programs (eg. Reading Recovery) — however, it is fallacious to extrapolate from this to a conclusion that boys as a group are achieving at substantially lower levels than girls as a group.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 2nd January 2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:11 AM   #77
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Perhaps people already have been..... you know, like this Uni of Victoria Study:
From your link

Quote:

Gender differences between boys and girls in literacy achievement

have been identified as emerging in early primary school and,

compounded by other factors, persist into high school

(Commonwealth of Australia, 2002). The New South Wales Inquiry

into Boys’ Education (O'Doherty, 1994) found that boys were over-

represented in special language and reading classes. More boys than

girls are identified as being ‘at-risk’ of poor progress in literacy and

that 20 per cent of referrals to paediatricians in tertiary referral

hospitals relates to boys with poor achievement in literacy (Rowe &

Rowe, 1999).

Old 2nd January 2018, 04:14 AM   #78
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

From your link
Yes, like good researchers, they quoted previous papers that claimed a difference, and then went on to show that statistically there wasn't, or did you miss that part in your rush to post what you thought was a point scorer?

Old 2nd January 2018, 04:21 AM   #79
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Or while we are there this from Otago Uni

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&so...DQhgWYalXfcayF

Quote:
The difference in the academic achievement levels of boys and girls as indicated by a number

of research studies is a worrying one for teachers. A longitudinal study conducted with a

birth cohort of 1,000 New Zealand children examined the educational outcomes of this group

and concluded “the difference in achievement levels of traditional educational disadvantage

shown by females has largely disappeared and has been replaced by an emerging male

disadvantage” (Fergusson & Horwood, 1997). They also found that the lower achievement of

boys compared to girls was present throughout the students’ school career. The Education

Review Office also examined the achievement of boys and found a “pattern of under-

achievement by boys at all levels of schooling” (Education Review Office, 1999). Boys

continue to be over-represented in reading recovery programmes, making up two-thirds of

the students taking part in these programmes.

Old 2nd January 2018, 04:30 AM   #80
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Or while we are there this from Otago Uni

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&so...DQhgWYalXfcayF
Interesting that you quote a study that is over 20 years old and that once again you take a quote from the research part of the paper while totally ignoring the researcher's conclusions in the discussion section.

Quote:
The results of the activities completed by the students as part of NEMP show a number of differences between boys and girls in their reading abilities and attitudes. Girls are reading more accurately and at a higher level than boys and, when surveyed, expressed a greater enjoyment of reading and perceived themselves as better readers.

When students were assigned to reading bands according to their reading ability, most students were reading at or above the band level expected for their age. Both boys and girls are achieving success with their reading ability, although girls are reading at higher levels than boys.

When locating and recalling information from text, or in skimming text with a time limit, girls again performed slightly better than boys, although both subgroups had fairly high success rates in these activities. The biggest difference between boys and girls arose when the answers to the questions required more than one piece of information, where boys, as found in other studies, “appear to be more willing to sacrifice deep understanding, which requires sustained effort, for correct answers achieved at speed”
So once again, the differences were found to be minimal with both Boys and Girls showing high levels of ability. Much of the differences between the two groups was their own perception of their abilities with the boys considering themselves worst than they really were. The only part that the Girls really statistically better the boys was in Oratory.

Quote:
The biggest differences in performance between boys and girls came in the oral presentations of written text: girls obtaining higher scores than boys in the three categories of accuracy, clarity and expressiveness. For both subgroups, younger students received higher scores for expressiveness, student presenting with less expressiveness as they got older.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events