ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Emmanuel Macron , France issues , France politics , media issues

Old 3rd January 2018, 12:11 PM   #1
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Macron proposes new law against fake news

French President Emmanuel Macron will propose new rules cracking down on fake news during elections this year, he said in an annual speech to the press today.

https://www.politico.eu/pro/macron-p...nst-fake-news/

Yummy, truth tribunals
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
French President Emmanuel Macron will propose new rules cracking down on fake news during elections this year, he said in an annual speech to the press today.

https://www.politico.eu/pro/macron-p...nst-fake-news/

Yummy, truth tribunals

Huh, what could go wrong?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 02:37 AM   #3
JJM 777
Illuminator

Philosophically taken, does the concept of "freedom of speech" and "freedom of conscience" exclude the right to lie?
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Macron tried to prevent RT from reporting the French elections. RT has useful and pointed criticism, and even elicits the truth. I suppose when the Russians prevent French, or even American journalists, from reporting the Russian elections then that's supposed to be Russian aggression. I used to watch Aljazeera in English, which I admit is controlled by the government of Qatar, until it became unavailable on British Freeview. There were interesting historical documentaries on aljazeera which never get shown on the BBC or ITV or Sky News.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 09:44 AM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
Macron tried to prevent RT from reporting the French elections.
Utter rubbish - as usual. Macron did exclude Sputnik and RT from his own events but he never tried to stop them reporting.

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There were interesting historical documentaries on aljazeera which never get shown on the BBC or ITV or Sky News.
...presumably because they don't have the rights to show them. No doubt there's a lot of BBC and ITV output that never sees the light of day on Aljazeera.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 09:47 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JJM 777 View Post
Philosophically taken, does the concept of "freedom of speech" and "freedom of conscience" exclude the right to lie?
I dunno. What do you think?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 10:15 AM   #7
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Lying and deception are biologically beneficial and will never go away
Old 5th January 2018, 10:35 AM   #8
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

My gut reaction is that the implementation of these laws designed to fight fake news are causing the form of governance in those societies to more closely align with less democratic societies. Russia is being blamed for the dissemination of fake news and the response is to create rules and laws that more closely resemble the type of governance in Russia.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 11:51 AM   #9
Civet
Graduate Poster

I'm trying to think of a way to come up with a way to formulate laws against fake news that would be useful (not too easy to circumvent) without infringing on free speech/press (taking into account a dangerous chilling effect). I'm failing to do so.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 11:53 AM   #10
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Next up: thoughtcrime!
Old 5th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #11
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'm trying to think of a way to come up with a way to formulate laws against fake news that would be useful (not too easy to circumvent) without infringing on free speech/press (taking into account a dangerous chilling effect). I'm failing to do so.

I don't think it can be done. I have a solution though.

Massive investment in education that will allow a large enough percentage of the population to accurately assess the source and purpose of news, fake or otherwise. Then the idiots can be drowned out by the majority of the population who are able to discern fake from real.

Of course, this will cost a fortune....

Is fake news an issue in, say, Norway, which seems to value education for all much more highly than, for example, the UK.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:01 PM   #12
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Newspapers and television stations are businesses not human beings, in other contexts (such as advertising) we don't give corporations the right to lie.

The devil is in the details, but in theory I'm not sure that I'm against punishing media outlets that knowingly publish outright lies (or disseminate lies without performing basic fact checking).
Old 5th January 2018, 12:15 PM   #13
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Newspapers and television stations are businesses not human beings, in other contexts (such as advertising) we don't give corporations the right to lie.

The devil is in the details, but in theory I'm not sure that I'm against punishing media outlets that knowingly publish outright lies (or disseminate lies without performing basic fact checking).
Even that could get messy. A lot of fake news makes the rounds through social media outlets owned by big corporations but with content being passed around by individual users. Do we really want to punish Facebook or Twitter, for example, just because they don't do a good job of proactively stopping users from telling lies? I don't. You also get guys like Alex Jones who blur the lines. Infowars is clearly an established media outlet now, but where precisely do we draw the line between Alex Jones the unusually prolific loudmouth and Alex Jones the businessman? I'm not crazy about the government making those types of distinctions when regulating speech/press issues unless it's absolutely necessary.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2018, 01:52 PM   #14
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Massive investment in education that will allow a large enough percentage of the population to accurately assess the source and purpose of news, fake or otherwise. Then the idiots can be drowned out by the majority of the population who are able to discern fake from real.

Of course, this will cost a fortune....
This is already the case in the USA; the majority of the population can discern between fake and real news and make informed decisions on how they want to be governed.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2018, 09:09 AM   #15
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Utter rubbish - as usual. Macron did exclude Sputnik and RT from his own events but he never tried to stop them reporting.
It's Macron who is spreading the fake news, not RT. It's true that Russia may prefer Trump over Clinton, and Macron might not be Russia's choice but there is no law against that. This is part of RT's response:

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/386329-fr...-lepen-macron/
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics