ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Australia elections , Australia politics , Julian Assange , Malcolm Fraser , wikileaks

Reply
Old 19th March 2012, 06:14 AM   #41
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,257
Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Executing him for what?
Some think he should be executed for putting American troops and spies in harms way.

Personally I just think he's a hypocritical narcissist.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 07:32 AM   #42
Wildy
Adelaidean
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,813
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Personally I just think he's a hypocritical narcissist.
So he's perfect for politics then.
__________________
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 11:54 AM   #43
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 41,395
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Some think he should be executed for putting American troops and spies in harms way.

Personally I just think he's a hypocritical narcissist.
Harms way? Aren't troops and spies in harms way by definition?

So far I haven't seen any evidence that wikileaks has done anything other than embarrass duplicitous governments.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 03:23 PM   #44
Laton
Critical Thinker
 
Laton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 263
If he manages to get elected, processing his security clearance won't be a fun job.
Laton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 06:59 PM   #45
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,257
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
So he's perfect for politics then.
Definitely. I have a feeling he'd feel right at home in politics.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 11:26 PM   #46
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 12,222
If former Midnight Oil singer Peter Garrat is any guide, you will see a very different Julian Assange after the election if he gets in.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 12:22 AM   #47
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 22,954
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
If former Midnight Oil singer Peter Garrat is any guide, you will see a very different Julian Assange after the election if he gets in.
Who demanded that Auld Lang Syne be replaced with Beds Are Burning on New Year's Day...
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 04:25 AM   #48
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger
 
Damien Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,862
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Who demanded that Auld Lang Syne be replaced with Beds Are Burning on New Year's Day...
I've never heard anyone singing Auld Lang Syne on new years day.


Most people are too hungover to sing anything at all.

ETA: In fact, I don't know anyone who knows Auld Lang Syne.
__________________
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.

Last edited by Damien Evans; 20th March 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 04:35 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 56,541
Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
I've never heard anyone singing Auld Lang Syne on new years day.


Most people are too hungover to sing anything at all.

ETA: In fact, I don't know anyone who knows Auld Lang Syne.
Really? I used to do it all the time. It's been a few years though.
__________________
"This quote was taken out of context."
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 08:31 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 24,897
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Harms way? Aren't troops and spies in harms way by definition?
So are firefighters. But they still take safety precautions. And it's still dickish to undermine or counteract those safety precautions.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2012, 08:42 PM   #51
MG1962
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,252
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Really? I used to do it all the time. It's been a few years though.
Must be a Victorian thing, because I would be hard pressed to find someone in N.S.W who DOESN'T sing it at New Years
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2012, 01:39 PM   #52
Silhouette
Muse
 
Silhouette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
If elected, do you think Assange will bring over his neo-Nazi associate Israel Shamir as a staff member?
Here is Wikileaks' Statement on Israel Shamir http://wlcentral.org/node/1412

"Israel Shamir has never worked or volunteered for WikiLeaks, in any manner, whatsoever. He has never written for WikiLeaks or any associated organization, under any name and we have no plan that he do so. He is not an 'agent' of WikiLeaks. He has never been an employee of WikiLeaks and has never received monies from WikiLeaks or given monies to WikiLeaks or any related organization or individual. However, he has worked for the BBC, Haaretz, and many other reputable organizations."

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Well, as long as holocaust denial and Jewish conspiracy theories make it into his platform.
Do you have some evidence that Julian Assange is a holocaust denier and holds Jewish conspiracy theories? Because it sounds like you are just making up smears to discredit him.
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2012, 11:42 PM   #53
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
Here is Wikileaks' Statement on Israel Shamir http://wlcentral.org/node/1412

"Israel Shamir has never worked or volunteered for WikiLeaks, in any manner, whatsoever. He has never written for WikiLeaks or any associated organization, under any name and we have no plan that he do so. He is not an 'agent' of WikiLeaks. He has never been an employee of WikiLeaks and has never received monies from WikiLeaks or given monies to WikiLeaks or any related organization or individual. However, he has worked for the BBC, Haaretz, and many other reputable organizations."



Do you have some evidence that Julian Assange is a holocaust denier and holds Jewish conspiracy theories? Because it sounds like you are just making up smears to discredit him.
I know that Wikileaks claims it has no association with Israel Shamir, and that Shamir (or whatever name he happens to go by at this time) has claimed that he is not an anti-Jewish racist.
I also know that Pat Buchanan claims he is not a racist, that O.J. Simpson insists he never murdered anyone and that Sylvia Browne claims to be a psychic. I believe the evidence contradicts all of these assertions.

Reason magazine uncovers that Shamir worked with Wikileaks in an official capacity as confirmed by a Wikileaks spokesman, that Shamir believes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are real and it is the responsibility of every Christian and Muslim to deny the Holocaust, and that the Swedish radio program Medierana concluded in its investigation that Shamir was WL's representative in Russia.

Also in Reason a former WL staffer confirms that Shamir worked with, and was paid by, WL and requested staff to provide him with cables about "the Jews". Also that the Russian Interfax News Agency confirms Shamir as WL Russian Rep.

A former WL staffer writes in the Guardian that Assange and Shamir are long time friends and that they worked together for WL. When staffers confronted Assange about Shamir and his ideas about Jews, they were told such questions would not be tolerated.

The co-founder of The Electronic Intifada , in an email to other Palestinian activists, claims that Shamir is a classic anti-Semite who claims the Jews are Christ killers and a virus form of human- and that activists should disassociate themselves from him.

Searchlight's 2004 investigation reveals that Shamir lies about almost everything, associates with and celebrates neo-Nazi's, white supremacists and Holocaust deniers. He worked for Russia's most anti-Semitic rag and agreed to speak at a Holocaust deniers conference if he was paid well and if it was kept secret. The organizers refused his conditions.

Guardian writer Andrew Brown writes that Shamir claims the Jews invented antisemitism, that it really doesn't exist and that so-called antisemites are just people Jews hate the most.

Finally, The Guardian reports that Assange believes there is a Jewish conspiracy against him and WL.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 25th March 2012 at 12:13 AM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2012, 01:59 AM   #54
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I know that Wikileaks claims it has no association with Israel Shamir, and that Shamir (or whatever name he happens to go by at this time) has claimed that he is not an anti-Jewish racist.
I also know that Pat Buchanan claims he is not a racist, that O.J. Simpson insists he never murdered anyone and that Sylvia Browne claims to be a psychic. I believe the evidence contradicts all of these assertions.

Reason magazine uncovers that Shamir worked with Wikileaks in an official capacity as confirmed by a Wikileaks spokesman, that Shamir believes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are real and it is the responsibility of every Christian and Muslim to deny the Holocaust, and that the Swedish radio program Medierana concluded in its investigation that Shamir was WL's representative in Russia.

Also in Reason a former WL staffer confirms that Shamir worked with, and was paid by, WL and requested staff to provide him with cables about "the Jews". Also that the Russian Interfax News Agency confirms Shamir as WL Russian Rep.

A former WL staffer writes in the Guardian that Assange and Shamir are long time friends and that they worked together for WL. When staffers confronted Assange about Shamir and his ideas about Jews, they were told such questions would not be tolerated.

The co-founder of The Electronic Intifada , in an email to other Palestinian activists, claims that Shamir is a classic anti-Semite who claims the Jews are Christ killers and a virus form of human- and that activists should disassociate themselves from him.

Searchlight's 2004 investigation reveals that Shamir lies about almost everything, associates with and celebrates neo-Nazi's, white supremacists and Holocaust deniers. He worked for Russia's most anti-Semitic rag and agreed to speak at a Holocaust deniers conference if he was paid well and if it was kept secret. The organizers refused his conditions.

Guardian writer Andrew Brown writes that Shamir claims the Jews invented antisemitism, that it really doesn't exist and that so-called antisemites are just people Jews hate the most.

Finally, The Guardian reports that Assange believes there is a Jewish conspiracy against him and WL.
sorry but your list of blogs quoting other blogs seems to lack links to the original material. I think you are being rather hopeful accepting this stuff.

maybe you could revisit the links and respond with the actual evidence rather than simply linking to blogs that share your views and seemingly brushing over the fact that the evidence appears to be hearsay and claims of what unidentified WL "spokesmen" have supposedly said.

Just a reminder that you are attempting to establish that this guy worked for wikileaks. All I see in your links is other bloggers agreeing with your opinion. Also you don't need to waste time establishing that shamir is an anti-semitic wackjob...I don't think thats disputed.
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.

Last edited by The Fool; 25th March 2012 at 02:02 AM.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2012, 04:25 PM   #55
Silhouette
Muse
 
Silhouette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I know that Wikileaks claims it has no association with Israel Shamir, and that Shamir (or whatever name he happens to go by at this time) has claimed that he is not an anti-Jewish racist.
I also know that Pat Buchanan claims he is not a racist, that O.J. Simpson insists he never murdered anyone and that Sylvia Browne claims to be a psychic. I believe the evidence contradicts all of these assertions.

Reason magazine uncovers that Shamir worked with Wikileaks in an official capacity as confirmed by a Wikileaks spokesman, that Shamir believes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are real and it is the responsibility of every Christian and Muslim to deny the Holocaust, and that the Swedish radio program Medierana concluded in its investigation that Shamir was WL's representative in Russia.

Also in Reason a former WL staffer confirms that Shamir worked with, and was paid by, WL and requested staff to provide him with cables about "the Jews". Also that the Russian Interfax News Agency confirms Shamir as WL Russian Rep.

A former WL staffer writes in the Guardian that Assange and Shamir are long time friends and that they worked together for WL. When staffers confronted Assange about Shamir and his ideas about Jews, they were told such questions would not be tolerated.

The co-founder of The Electronic Intifada , in an email to other Palestinian activists, claims that Shamir is a classic anti-Semite who claims the Jews are Christ killers and a virus form of human- and that activists should disassociate themselves from him.

Searchlight's 2004 investigation reveals that Shamir lies about almost everything, associates with and celebrates neo-Nazi's, white supremacists and Holocaust deniers. He worked for Russia's most anti-Semitic rag and agreed to speak at a Holocaust deniers conference if he was paid well and if it was kept secret. The organizers refused his conditions.

Guardian writer Andrew Brown writes that Shamir claims the Jews invented antisemitism, that it really doesn't exist and that so-called antisemites are just people Jews hate the most.

Finally, The Guardian reports that Assange believes there is a Jewish conspiracy against him and WL.
It sounds like you are trying to use guilt by association to prejudice Julian Assange. Israel Shamir wrote some articles related to WikiLeaks. Israel Shamir is allegedly an anti-semite who is said to deny the Holocaust ever happened. Therefore it follows that Julian Assange must also agree with Israel Shamir that the Holocaust never happened. That Israel Shamir's interest in WikiLeaks should mean that Julian Assange holds the exact same views as Israel Shamir is spurious reasoning.

Whatever your opinion is of Israel Shamir, as abhorrent his views may be, it is unfair to criticise Julian Assange for holding those views when there is no evidence that he has ever expressed those views himself. And hearsay from a supposed former WL staffer is not proof of a relationship between Assange and Shamir.

If I was a painter and my neighbor down the street (who is a fictional terrorist sympathizer) decided to write an article about my artwork, does it reflect poorly on me as a painter to have an article written about me by someone who just so happens to be a terrorist sympathizer? Why would it be my responsibility to account for someone else's opinions? I have my own separate and unique opinions.

Last edited by Silhouette; 25th March 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 07:13 AM   #56
Virus
Philosopher
 
Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,875
This is what Assange said on his blog:

Quote:
[C]ast blessings on the profits and prophets of truth, on the liberators and martyrs of truth, on the Voltaires, Galileos, and Principias of truth, on the Gutenburgs, Marconis and Internets of truth, on those serial killers of delusion, those brutal, driven and obsessed miners of reality, smashing, smashing, smashing every rotten edifice until all is ruins and the seeds of the new.”
He's funked in the head.
__________________
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:06 PM   #57
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
This is what Assange said on his blog:



He's funked in the head.
your link is not to a blog by Julian Assange. could you have another try?
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:19 PM   #58
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
I see you've decided to go down with the Assange ship captain. Insults away!
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:39 PM   #59
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 41,395
Sorry to interrupt the personal insults, but an article on Assange's tilt at the Senate.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...326-1vupq.html

Quote:
In his first interview since declaring his intention to run for the Senate in the next federal election, Mr Assange said he ''could be described as a libertarian'' and nominated Australian Democrats founder Don Chipp and former prime minister Malcolm Fraser as political figures he admired.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:42 PM   #60
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I see you've decided to go down with the Assange ship captain. Insults away!
Just asking for evidence.......without much success.


I'm going to leave you to it now........I will respond if you ever provide evidence to support your mouthing off.
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:44 PM   #61
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Sorry to interrupt the personal insults, but an article on Assange's tilt at the Senate.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...326-1vupq.html
a libertarian......sigh.
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 03:48 PM   #62
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 41,395
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
a libertarian......sigh.
It was the stand-for-nothing Don Chipp reference that worried me.

Nevertheless, I think he has a real chance, and will be better known than 90% of the Senate candidates.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 04:31 PM   #63
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
a libertarian......sigh.
I knew he reminded me of a young Ron Paul.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 07:02 PM   #64
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,161
It is my fond hope that Assange, if elected, will manage to gum up Australia by an amount sufficient to thoroughly punish his electors and make them pariahs in the eyes of their fellow citizens.

However, I lack confidence that his would-be fellow senators would allow him to do so.
I therefore feel my only realistic hope is that Assange's supporters will have simply wasted their votes to no good effect.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 07:05 PM   #65
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)
Moderator
 
Loss Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,589
Mod WarningWell, I think I've culled most of the off-topic and uncivil posts. Please feel free to discuss this topic without calling each other Nazis.
Posted By:Loss Leader
__________________
I have the honor to be
Your Obdt. St

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:01 PM   #66
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Sorry to interrupt the personal insults, but an article on Assange's tilt at the Senate.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...326-1vupq.html

Quote:
In his first interview since declaring his intention to run for the Senate in the next federal election, Mr Assange said he ''could be described as a libertarian'' and nominated Australian Democrats founder Don Chipp and former prime minister Malcolm Fraser as political figures he admired.
He just lost my vote.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:25 PM   #67
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
I certainly hope Australian voters consider Assange's choice to associate himself and his organization with a vile racist before deciding which way to vote.

I also hope they consider his own bigoted rant accusing reporters of being part of a Jewish conspiracy against him.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 08:52 PM   #68
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I certainly hope Australian voters consider Assange's choice to associate himself and his organization with a vile racist before deciding which way to vote.
it depends if they are as easily convinced as you. They may want something more than you are able to provide in the way of evidence....like a single shred or scrap or something.

Quote:
I also hope they consider his own bigoted rant accusing reporters of being part of a Jewish conspiracy against him.
I'm sure they will....however, have you also thought about the fact that he is playing you like a cheap violin? His aim is to provoke an outburst of uninformed mouth foaming rubbish so he can appear like a martyr.....your assistance is probably appreciated.


also....don't hold your breath waiting for him to actually stand for the senate. you are simply being trolled.
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.

Last edited by The Fool; 26th March 2012 at 08:54 PM.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:10 PM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 24,897
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
a libertarian......sigh.
Is it just me, or does "libertarian" seem a little to statist for Assange?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:13 PM   #70
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 41,395
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is it just me, or does "libertarian" seem a little to statist for Assange?
The term doesn't seem to carry the same baggage in Australia as it does in the US.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:15 PM   #71
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 41,395
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
It is my fond hope that Assange, if elected, will manage to gum up Australia by an amount sufficient to thoroughly punish his electors and make them pariahs in the eyes of their fellow citizens.

However, I lack confidence that his would-be fellow senators would allow him to do so.
I therefore feel my only realistic hope is that Assange's supporters will have simply wasted their votes to no good effect.
You don't understand the Australian parliamentary system, do you? And the balance of power in the Upper House?
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:41 PM   #72
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You don't understand the Australian parliamentary system, do you? And the balance of power in the Upper House?
Brian Harradine was the last Australian senator to hold the balance of power in the senate - and then, only if the democrats/greens voted with labor against the coalition.

It is most unlikely that Julian Assange would ever achieve such a position. In fact, if the libs ever get rid of Tony Abbott, I suspect that they would win control of the senate in their own right.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 09:43 PM   #73
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
it depends if they are as easily convinced as you. They may want something more than you are able to provide in the way of evidence....like a single shred or scrap or something.
Well, I can only hope the more intelligent and reasonable citizens will realize the connection is well supported by the facts, instead of sticking their collective head in the sand like yourself.



Quote:
I'm sure they will....however, have you also thought about the fact that he is playing you like a cheap violin? His aim is to provoke an outburst of uninformed mouth foaming rubbish so he can appear like a martyr.....your assistance is probably appreciated.
All of these childish insults just to avoid having to admit you're wrong. Are you really that insecure?




Quote:
also....don't hold your breath waiting for him to actually stand for the senate.
You are simply being trolled
.

If trolling were his only offense, I wouldn't care- and neither would his staffers, his former number 2, the reporters at Reason or at The Guardian. But some of us do care when Nazi's are legitimized and drooling accusations of Jewish conspiracies are hurled at reporters and editors.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 26th March 2012 at 09:52 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2012, 10:24 PM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 24,897
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The term doesn't seem to carry the same baggage in Australia as it does in the US.
If I understand you correctly, "libertarian" seems a lot too statist for Assange!












Or does "statist" mean something different in Australia, too?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 04:28 AM   #75
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,090
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Well, I can only hope the more intelligent and reasonable citizens will realize the connection is well supported by the facts, instead of sticking their collective head in the sand like yourself.





All of these childish insults just to avoid having to admit you're wrong. Are you really that insecure?




.

If trolling were his only offense, I wouldn't care- and neither would his staffers, his former number 2, the reporters at Reason or at The Guardian. But some of us do care when Nazi's are legitimized and drooling accusations of Jewish conspiracies are hurled at reporters and editors.
one day you may present some evidence to support your often stated beliefs. When you do that you will become a participant in a discussion until then you are simply a slogan chanter.

Seriously, How well do you expect hearsay and quotes from unnamed sources to go on a skeptic board? Do you understand that participating in this parroting of highly doubtful random noise is just feeding his claim that he is a victim of persecution?

He should be paying you.
__________________
And what is good, Phaedrus,and what is not good.
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?
R. M. Pirsig. (Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance)

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 09:50 AM   #76
Silhouette
Muse
 
Silhouette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I also hope they consider his own bigoted rant accusing reporters of being part of a Jewish conspiracy against him.
You wouldn't by any chance have any video or audio of Julian Assange going off on this epic rant to back up your claims, would you? Because without verifiable proof, you are not believable.
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 10:13 AM   #77
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
You wouldn't by any chance have any video or audio of Julian Assange going off on this epic rant to back up your claims, would you? Because without verifiable proof, you are not believable.





Th-TH-TH-That's allllllll folks!

Last edited by trustbutverify; 27th March 2012 at 10:42 AM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 10:26 AM   #78
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger
 
Damien Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 33,862
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post



Th-TH-TH-That's allllllll folks!
So that's a No then?
__________________
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 10:58 AM   #79
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,046
Actually, I had both video and audio tape of the phone conversation between Assange and Private Eye editor Ian Hislop, but it was stolen by AIPAC operatives!

And not only does princess Julian uncover the Jew conspiracy, but he also reveals that their all a bunch of sissies!!

Last edited by trustbutverify; 27th March 2012 at 11:02 AM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2012, 11:34 AM   #80
Silhouette
Muse
 
Silhouette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Actually, I had both video and audio tape of the phone conversation between Assange and Private Eye editor Ian Hislop, but it was stolen by AIPAC operatives!

And not only does princess Julian uncover the Jew conspiracy, but he also reveals that their all a bunch of sissies!! [/b]


Last edited by Silhouette; 27th March 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: wrong quote
Silhouette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.