ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags general discussion , Israel issues , Israel-Palestine conflict , Palestine issues , US-Israel relations

Old 20th July 2016, 03:03 PM   #361
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Exactly! We totally agree. qaivucgbnaceipc!

Communication is real. Language isn't.

No it's not. It's just a collective delusion. We all agree that these things called "words" exist, but they don't. It's all just pretend pink unicorns.

Well, duh.

But it isn't.

And we can assign religious significance to events as well. Doesn't mean god exists.

I'm totally into your logic now. It's brilliant!
ktjteyjgfl gikye gyksj miyij ktyr df,
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 04:13 AM   #362
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
ktjteyjgfl gikye gyksj miyij ktyr df,
xaepruegm.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2016, 04:15 AM   #363
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You don't need to believe in "the unicorn" to tell us why you won't try to build your anarchist society in Belgium.
He's in Belgium? I knew it was Europe, but I didn't know it was the heart of the bureaucratic super-state. The irony is rich.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2016, 09:43 AM   #364
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Wherever he is from, it appears he is unable or unwilling to address the many questions put to him.

Anarchists in general are really good at arguing against everything, but quickly lose interest when you ask them what they're for.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 01:06 PM   #365
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Anti-Zionism, Anti-Semitism

Last week there were a couple articles that found their way into my news feed that reminded me of recent discussions on this forum.

First:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...link-to-terror

Cynthia McKinney, a former elected member of the US House of Representatives and oft-times conspiratard tweets a conspiracy theory linking Israel to the attacks in Nice France and Munich Germany. Cynthia says;

"Same Israeli photographer captures Nice and Munich tragedies," McKinney, the Green Party's presidential nominee in 2008, tweeted, including a video about the issue.

"How likely is that? Remember the Dancing Israelis?"

Indeed, mustn't forget the dancing Israelis.

It turns out the photographer isn't Israeli but German, but he's married to an Israeli politician, so in McKinney's mind and the mind of the guy who posted the you-tube video she links to, makes the conspiracy theory plausible.

In another article a German University is criticized for holding lectures claiming Israel harvests Palestinian organs:

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/German...-organs-462234

Our sons were robbed of their organs,” was the title of a part of the seminar’s course material, Rebecca Seidler, an academic who blew the whistle on the anti-Israel material, told the weekly German-Jewish newspaper Jüdische Allgemeine Zeitung in an article published Thursday.

It doesn't say so in the article, but I noticed that the title of that part of the course reflects an article written back in 2009 by a Swedish journalist named Donald Boström titled "Våra söner plundras på sina organ" ("Our sons are plundered of their organs"), which was so widely criticized that even Electronic Intifada said it was unfounded and unhelpful.

Also, I was able to locate the original publication, thought the translation to English is done by Google and is a bit clumsy;

http://www.juedische-allgemeine.de/a...view/id/26107/

What I notice is that since none of this mentions Jews but only Israel that it's very likely that many who self-identify as anti-Zionist wouldn't recognize this as anti-Semitism, believing incorrectly that the two are wholly different entities.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 01:24 PM   #366
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 01:30 PM   #367
caveman1917
Philosopher

Rock the Casbah!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 01:40 PM   #368
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

QUIEN PODIA IMAGINAR ?
QUE DAVID FUESE GOLIATH

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 03:49 PM   #369
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Anti-semitism and anti-Zionism are two very different entities.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 03:54 PM   #370
Jules Galen
Banned

What I notice is that since none of this mentions Jews but only Israel that it's very likely that many who self-identify as anti-Zionist wouldn't recognize this as anti-Semitism, believing incorrectly that the two are wholly different entities.
So, according to you...if I disagree with Israel about its land stealing, this means I also hate Jews?
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 03:56 PM   #371
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
But you must admit, they do have quite a bit of overlap. So much so that it's very easy to see the difference in the definitions, but it's much harder to find significant differences in practice. (Except among the aforementioned Orthodox community who don't think a Jewish State should have been established until the Messiah comes.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 04:05 PM   #372
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
So, according to you...if I disagree with Israel about its land stealing, this means I also hate Jews?
No. I did not say that nor can it be derived from anything that I've said, but if I ever make up bingo cards like the one CE has provided, I'll be sure to include that often repeated straw-man.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 31st July 2016, 04:07 PM   #373
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I had absolutely no doubt that would be your opinion. But to get a little deeper, which one do you think Cynthia Mckinney's conspiracy theory falls under?

Old 31st July 2016, 04:15 PM   #374
Andúril
Thinker

I keep constantly hearing that disliking Islam or its teachings -- or daring to suggest that terrorism and other crimes inspired by said Islamic values and teachings just might have something to do with Islam after all -- is equal to Nazi-grade racism towards all people of Muslim background.

-A. Oxenstierna
Andúril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 04:17 PM   #375
Jules Galen
Banned

No. I did not say that nor can it be derived from anything that I've said, but if I ever make up bingo cards like the one CE has provided, I'll be sure to include that often repeated straw-man.

Then what exactly did you mean to say?
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 04:22 PM   #376
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Then what exactly did you mean to say?
What do you make of the examples I offered in the OP?

Old 31st July 2016, 04:27 PM   #377
Jules Galen
Banned

What do you make of the examples I offered in the OP?

I think you are trying to paint yourself as some type of Victim. And really, the pathology is disgusting to behold.

Last edited by Jules Galen; 31st July 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 31st July 2016, 04:29 PM   #378
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Cynthia McKinney, a former elected member of the US House of Representatives and oft-times conspiratard tweets a conspiracy theory linking Israel to the attacks in Nice France and Munich Germany.

For the record, I had the honor of voting for McKinney. I cannot tell you how proud our part of Georgia was to be sending a black woman to Congress.

And then she lost her mind.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 04:35 PM   #379
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I think you are trying to paint yourself as some type of Victim. And really, the pathology is disgusting to behold.
A victim of what?

Try to avoid the ad hominems. What do you think of the examples from the OP?

Old 31st July 2016, 04:40 PM   #380
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
You definitely have my sympathy on that. I probably would have voted for her too.

Old 31st July 2016, 06:05 PM   #381
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I wasn't able to read all that on my phone, but now that I'm on my PC I can see you've found a way to deliver 25 different straw-man arguments with only one image.

Nice feat, I guess.
Old 31st July 2016, 07:11 PM   #382
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

This is gonna go well.

Not.

Is there a reason that this is not in the General Israeli/Palestinian thread?
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2016, 07:25 PM   #383
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
This is gonna go well.

Not.

All I can figure is that the dude wanted his own "Pity Party" thread.
Old 31st July 2016, 07:58 PM   #384
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
For the record, I had the honor of voting for McKinney. I cannot tell you how proud our part of Georgia was to be sending a black woman to Congress.

Diversity hires, huh? What are ya gonna do, though?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 01:17 AM   #385
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Last week there were a couple articles that found their way into my news feed that reminded me of recent discussions on this forum.
The purpose of claims that Jews harvest organs, or the slanders in the Elders of Zion, are all designed to provoke a response of moral outrage and disgust, resulting in the dehumanization of Jews, making them legitimate targets for extreme measures.

Nothing new. Also not new that Europeans can be responsible for centuries of pogroms and injustice, culminating in the Holocaust, and somehow can beat their chests about that with mea culpas while not admitting they made a new homeland/return to Israel a requirement. (This is not a blanket endorsement, however, of all Israeli policies.)
Old 1st August 2016, 01:19 AM   #386
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
This is gonna go well.

Not.

Is McKinney a Palestinian or Israeli?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 02:54 AM   #387
Salerio
Critical Thinker

So if one were to question the antics of the US government and object to their bombing <insert some random middle east country here> then it's a slur on ALL US citizens. Makes perfect sense to me!
Old 1st August 2016, 03:28 AM   #388
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I wasn't able to read all that on my phone, but now that I'm on my PC I can see you've found a way to deliver 25 different straw-man arguments with only one image.

Nice feat, I guess.
(((anti-Zionism))) is a helluva drug.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 05:15 AM   #389
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Salerio View Post
So if one were to question the antics of the US government and object to their bombing <insert some random middle east country here> then it's a slur on ALL US citizens. Makes perfect sense to me!
Uhm, no. I did not say that, nor can it be derived from anything I said. Feel free to try again.

Old 1st August 2016, 06:27 AM   #390
Salerio
Critical Thinker

Uhm, no. I did not say that, nor can it be derived from anything I said. Feel free to try again.

All you're doing is trolling. It's like a parrot when you pull the string "*squark* I didn't say that" "*squark* try again"

It's down to YOU to EXPLICITLY state what it is you mean, because obviously everyone else is unable to comprehend anything you are waffling about. Simply refusing to state your meaning shows you're just trolling and I for one am not going to play anymore.
Old 1st August 2016, 07:35 AM   #391
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

All you're doing is trolling. It's like a parrot when you pull the string "*squark* I didn't say that" "*squark* try again"

It's down to YOU to EXPLICITLY state what it is you mean, because obviously everyone else is unable to comprehend anything you are waffling about. Simply refusing to state your meaning shows you're just trolling and I for one am not going to play anymore.
I certainly had no trouble understanding what Mycroft meant: that those news articles reflect anti-Semitism. Because despite their gloss of so-called "anti-Zionism", they are merely reskinned versions of old anti-Semitic canards, namely the conspiracy theory that Jews are the secret puppetmasters behind world events and the ancient "blood libel" slur.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 08:24 AM   #392
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Given how Neo-Nazis tend to flourish in pro-israel groups when they change "jew" for "Zionist", and BDS has serious problems with Holocaust deniers among their ranks, they are much much closer than you think. For instance, if an "anti-zionist" activist talked about the "Zionist Occupation Government", what would you think?

And to be honest, if Israel was the devil it is made to be, they'd have saturated WB/Gaza in VX gas and fed the survivors into woodchippers and livestreamed the whole damn thing.

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 1st August 2016 at 08:26 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 08:53 AM   #393
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

What A'isha said.

Is it your opinion that Cynthia Mckinney's conspiracy theories about "dancing Israelis" and supposed Israeli culpability in European terrorism are just "Anti-Zionist"?

Old 1st August 2016, 10:10 AM   #394
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
I certainly had no trouble understanding what Mycroft meant: that those news articles reflect anti-Semitism. Because despite their gloss of so-called "anti-Zionism", they are merely reskinned versions of old anti-Semitic canards, namely the conspiracy theory that Jews are the secret puppetmasters behind world events and the ancient "blood libel" slur.
To me, it seems like Mycroft is seeing too many monsters where there are none. And this happens a lot. Some people see any criticism of Israel as some kind of irrational Jew hatred and, at worst, a conspiracy. And dealing with these people is worse than dealing with the 911 Truthers. I swear.
Old 1st August 2016, 10:35 AM   #395
Salerio
Critical Thinker

What A'isha said.

Is it your opinion that Cynthia Mckinney's conspiracy theories about "dancing Israelis" and supposed Israeli culpability in European terrorism are just "Anti-Zionist"?

I have no opinion about that, I've never heard of her until today. I was commenting on where he posted

"What I notice is that since none of this mentions Jews but only Israel that it's very likely that many who self-identify as anti-Zionist wouldn't recognize this as anti-Semitism, believing incorrectly that the two are wholly different entities."

Which is total nonsense. One can be against the continued settlement policy of the Israeli state, the bulldozing of journalists, the shooting of kids by the army without feeling any ill-will towards Jewish people as a group. The state is NOT the group. As I said one can be against the bombing of middle-east countries by the US government (which has totally messed up the area) without holding every US American guilty. Or hate what The Vatican did to cover up child abuse without feeling any ill-will towards catholics as a whole.

ETA

Where do anti-zionist jews (eg. Jew Torah Jews) fit into the anti-semitic stance?

Last edited by Salerio; 1st August 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Salerio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 10:42 AM   #396
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

I have no opinion about that, I've never heard of her until today. I was commenting on where he posted

"What I notice is that since none of this mentions Jews but only Israel that it's very likely that many who self-identify as anti-Zionist wouldn't recognize this as anti-Semitism, believing incorrectly that the two are wholly different entities."

Which is total nonsense. One can be against the continued settlement policy of the Israeli state, the bulldozing of journalists, the shooting of kids by the army without feeling any ill-will towards Jewish people as a group. The state is NOT the group. As I said one can be against the bombing of middle-east countries by the US government (which has totally messed up the area) without holding every US American guilty. Or hate what The Vatican did to cover up child abuse without feeling any ill-will towards catholics as a whole.

ETA

Where do anti-zionist jews (eg. Jew Torah Jews) fit into the anti-semitic stance?
There are serious problems with anti-zionists as I explained in post #392. What do when a neo-nazi takes an anti-zionist coat of paint and then rants about the "Zionist Occupied Government" and hides behind "I'm not anti-semitic i'm anti-zionist"?
Old 1st August 2016, 12:08 PM   #397
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Then you should review OP and form an opinion because that is what this topic is about. If you haven't reviewed the examples given, you couldn't possibly offer informed commentary.

Which is total nonsense. One can be against the continued settlement...
Nobody has said otherwise.

I think it's truly fascinating that even after having been corrected several times, you still think I'm saying all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic.

Old 1st August 2016, 03:47 PM   #398
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
But you must admit, they do have quite a bit of overlap.
That makes no sense.

Quote:
So much so that it's very easy to see the difference in the definitions, but it's much harder to find significant differences in practice. (Except among the aforementioned Orthodox community who don't think a Jewish State should have been established until the Messiah comes.)
Still making no sense.

A claim that Jews are the sort of people who will harvest organs for profit is anti-semitic. A claim that this sort of thing happens in Israel is anti-Israeli. A claim that Zionism necessarily leads to the sort of state where such things will happen is anti-Zionist.

If you're going to follow the line that any criticism of Zionism or Israel is concealing anti-semitism then you'll see a lot of concealed anti-semitism.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 1st August 2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2016, 03:50 PM   #399
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I had absolutely no doubt that would be your opinion. But to get a little deeper, which one do you think Cynthia Mckinney's conspiracy theory falls under?
Who does she cast as the conspirators?

Old 1st August 2016, 03:55 PM   #400
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NWO Sentryman View Post
There are serious problems with anti-zionists as I explained in post #392. What do when a neo-nazi takes an anti-zionist coat of paint and then rants about the "Zionist Occupied Government" and hides behind "I'm not anti-semitic i'm anti-zionist"?
I'm not an anti-semite, I'm an anti-Zionist.

You do what you gotta do about neo-nazis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics