ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags general discussion , Israel issues , Israel-Palestine conflict , Palestine issues , US-Israel relations

Reply
Old 17th May 2016, 02:59 PM   #121
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Because that is what your sentence implies.
Prove it.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 04:01 PM   #122
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And I'll agree. Whoever bulldozes the olive and citrus groves in the West Bank in order to intimidate the occupants into leaving is a ****, whether it's Jew or Arab. If it's done to ease and promote Israeli settlement on non-Israeli land then that's Zionism in action, not "Jewishness".
Exactly.

The ancient olive groves of Palestine are disappearing because they "might be sheltering terrorists", and because they appear foreign to the settlers. Who prefer lawns, like they're used to back home.

A friend of mine who did the summer-on-a-kibbutz thing gets very exercised about this. The ever-present olives, like peanuts to a Yank, is one of his fond memories, but now olives have become associated with Palestinians and "the other", the "foreigner in the Land" .

Destruction like this can, perhaps, be reversed. But the ending of Jewish history in the wider Middle East, since the Babylonian Exile cannot be fixed. That's down to Zionism as well. Zionists will point to the Mizrahim exodus after the 1948-49 War as examples of Jewish victimhood but they don't like to address why they were there beforehand, and had been for countless generations. When Zionists identified themselves with all Jews (as they do), identified themselves with the West (initially through the British Empire when it carved the place up with the French) and used Mizrahim communities as shelter for Mossad, the Jewish position eventually became impossible.

All of which is criticism of Zionism, not even criticism of Israel (which is merely the vehicle of Zionism), and certainly not criticism of Jews. Which, of course, may be taken as evidence that it's concealing open anti-semitism - after all, no actual anti-semitism is evident. That's the first requirement for concealment, duly satisfied. We shall see.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 04:12 PM   #123
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
The post has no moral valuation in it.
Why doesn't it? How is it such a terrible thing to say those cheering violence on any side are doing something immoral (if understandably human)?

And as a direct response to what others had said leading up to it, this means you're admitting it didn't actually address what was under discussion. Furthermore, it makes your justification of opposing Israel nonsense.

Quote:
You do realize we're not actually doing a comparison or anything here right?
Wait, what? That's exactly what you were doing. It was a direct comparison. Here, look what you wrote,

Quote:
It must be sad when all you have to cheer for is some people hijacking a plane and flying it into a building, rather than such a nice spectacle Israel regularly provides its citizens.
which is of course a direct comparison. This direct comparison was in response to your justification for 'siding against Israel', as I showed in my last post's series of quotes.

If you want to change what is being discussed at any given time, you should make that clear. If you respond to an accusation that you're taking sides against Israel with 'they cheer violence', that means you're justifying taking sides against Israel. If you didn't want to say that, use more words to acknowledge you're denying doing that then talking about something else. At the very least don't quote the accusation right before making the statement that is justifying your position.

That's leaving aside that if it was a justification, then it's a silly double standard.

This is something I see time and again with people who don't want to state something they know to be very justifiably unpopular; they use vague language to avoid having to admit to what they hint at. It's dog whistles all the way. Then all you have to do is ask for evidence you hold the view you are accused of holding, without actually denying you hold the view, and refuse to do something as simple as condemn the actions 'your side' is doing that you've already made hell about in the 'other side'.

If you would just admit that you find the actions of the Palestinians acceptable, even if they're actions you condemn the Israelis for, that would be morally wrong, but at least intellectually honest.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 04:33 PM   #124
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Why doesn't it? How is it such a terrible thing to say those cheering violence on any side are doing something immoral (if understandably human)?

And as a direct response to what others had said leading up to it, this means you're admitting it didn't actually address what was under discussion. Furthermore, it makes your justification of opposing Israel nonsense.



Wait, what? That's exactly what you were doing. It was a direct comparison. Here, look what you wrote,



which is of course a direct comparison. This direct comparison was in response to your justification for 'siding against Israel', as I showed in my last post's series of quotes.

If you want to change what is being discussed at any given time, you should make that clear. If you respond to an accusation that you're taking sides against Israel with 'they cheer violence', that means you're justifying taking sides against Israel. If you didn't want to say that, use more words to acknowledge you're denying doing that then talking about something else. At the very least don't quote the accusation right before making the statement that is justifying your position.

That's leaving aside that if it was a justification, then it's a silly double standard.

This is something I see time and again with people who don't want to state something they know to be very justifiably unpopular; they use vague language to avoid having to admit to what they hint at. It's dog whistles all the way. Then all you have to do is ask for evidence you hold the view you are accused of holding, without actually denying you hold the view, and refuse to do something as simple as condemn the actions 'your side' is doing that you've already made hell about in the 'other side'.

If you would just admit that you find the actions of the Palestinians acceptable, even if they're actions you condemn the Israelis for, that would be morally wrong, but at least intellectually honest.
Blah blah blah

Seriously, does anyone ever fall for this sort of nonsense?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 04:41 PM   #125
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Blah blah blah

Seriously, does anyone ever fall for this sort of nonsense?
You refuse to address anything I've said? Even where you claim it wasn't a comparison when you were explicitly making a direct comparison?

I was expecting intellectual dishonesty and you delivered in spades.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 04:54 PM   #126
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
You refuse to address anything I've said? Even where you claim it wasn't a comparison when you were explicitly making a direct comparison?

I was expecting intellectual dishonesty and you delivered in spades.
I was expecting fascist drivel and y'all are delivering in spades - we've still yet to see the first response agreeing with taking a side against Israel for the activities mentioned in the article, but we're seeing the whole "list of fallacies" being used in defense of it. You wouldn't be able to detect intellectual dishonesty - your reasoning skills are too lacking.

Btw, it was a comparison of the quality of the respective spectator sports, not a comparison of their morality. Obvious enough from that which was actually being stated.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:04 PM   #127
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Oh REALLY ?
Yes, really. Non-Zionist Russian Jews had been settling in Palestine for at least a century, without any nationalist or exclusionist motivation. For them it was a spiritual and hopeful movement, linked to Judaic traditions of redemption through righteousness. Not through money and force of arms, which is the Zionist way.

Quote:
How about the Zion Mule Corps ? (I'm not kidding), or the Jewish Legion ? (see Wikipedia article) They included a LOT of Russian Jews in their ranks.
Not from Palestine.

Quote:
the Jewish Legion fought against the Turks at Gallipoli, and also served in Jordan.

In WW2 the Jewish Battalion was involved in the recapture of Italy.

"contribute nothing to the British cause.. " ? Well, they contributed WAY more than the beloved "Palestinians", who's leader was trying to create a Waffen SS Battalion, for Pete's sake.
The Balfour Declaration was issued in 1917. This thing is 120 years old, remember. It didn't start with WW2, or even with the rise of Nazism.

Here, of course, Zionists went to war on behalf of the British Empire in the name of the Jews. Not in the name of Zionism, which was their particular distinguishing characterstic, as in the Zionist Legion but in the name of all Jews. This they did against a Muslim state and ally of Germany and Austria. Weizmann even offered - and made sure the offer got in the newspapers - to provide the Jews of Palestine as a Fifth Column for the British, then advancing from Egypt. None of this with the slightest regard for any danger it might put Middle Eastern Jews in. After all, if the Mizrahim could understand the wonder of what was at stake they would surely shoulder the risk. A desire to return to the Holy Land being, of course, a Jewish racial characteristic. And reckless arrogance being the natural behaviour of Zionists.

Anyhoo, the Zionist contribution to the British Empire was miniscule: compare and contrast with the Australian effort. The British intended to govern Palestine after the Great War, and had no interest in creating a conflict where there was none - the Zionist presence in Palestine being a few tens of thousands at most, and going nowhere. The British did it, though, and predictably created a rod for their own backs.

This does call for an explanation. Even more so when one considers that it destabilised a strategically important region, close to the Suez Canal life-line of the British Empire, and close to the newly discovered oil-fields of Iraq, which were to play such an important role in WW2. A place you want very much to be peaceful and prosperous

A mule train or two doesn't cut it, frankly.

We know why Woodrow Wilson agreed to it - Justice Brandeis, a keen Zionist, told him it would deliver the mythical Jewish Vote. We know that because Justice Brandeis made no secret of the fact, being rather proud of himself. At first Wilson wanted to reject it as some British Imperialist deviousness,as you would. That was the last hope of the cabinet antis : they'd made US clearance a condition for agreeing to it.

What motivated the pros in the British Government, such as Balfour and Lloyd George, remains a question.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:28 PM   #128
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Ummm... No ?

Assimilation is the dissipation or abandonment of one culture in favour of another "dominant" culture. It is NOT a meeting of equals. The assimilated culture is destroyed. (or - more accurately - discarded).
People are fully entitled to discard any aspect of their culture if they wish. There's nothing shameful in it, or admirable in toeing the lines of a culture you've been assigned by accident of birth. The desirable parts of a culture will continue because they're desirable. Anachronisms will wither away. I have friends who do family things but don't do Jewish things, the family things happening to derive be from Jewish tradition.

Herzl described assimilaton as the ultimate degradation, but Herzl was an enthusiast for European racial theory which held that racial purity was desirable in itself, whatever the race, and mongrelisation anathema. He, and his fellow Zionists, carried no torch for Jewish culture, which they thought backward and superstitious. Not to say an embarrassment to Jews like them, whom you wouldn't distinguish from any other conservative European gentleman, in dress or habits or modernity. The assimilation Zionists objected to was actually miscegenation. Loss of racial purity, and thus of racial health. Whatever the hell that is: this was 120 years ago, and people had some weird ideas. Only in Israel can you still find them to any great extent.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:30 PM   #129
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
Hardly suprising: they have one thing in common.

Neither group likes being blown up by madmen screaming "Alluah Ahkbar".
(My God Is Greater).
Bear in mind that these people will come back for the Jews once they've dealt with the Muslims. And they'll have had some practice.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:35 PM   #130
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,172
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Blah blah blah
Welcome to the winner's circle, Mycroft!

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Blah blah blah
Remember what I said before, Tyr? Well, it applies to both of them.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:41 PM   #131
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. He did NOT excuse it on the basis of it being a one-time-only thing, he excused it on the basis that they're so terribly oppressed, they've been driven to cheering death.
Where in this:

Quote:
It must be sad when all you have to cheer for is some people hijacking a plane and flying it into a building, rather than such a nice spectacle Israel regularly provides its citizens.
...or anywhere else has he done this? That's why I was hoping for you to quote another post, because that one says or implies no such thing.

Quote:
And do you seriously think they wouldn't cheer again if we got hit like that again? Do you seriously think he thinks that? Of course they would. And of course he knows they would.
I am not going to try to guess how Capel would think in some hypothetical future. I am addressing the post you quoted.

Quote:
I understand the impulse to be charitable in your interpretation
It sure as hell beats making stuff up about other people's beliefs.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 05:43 PM   #132
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Blah blah blah
You know, I've noticed that you do that a lot. Maybe you should, you know, clarify your meaning and actually address other posters.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:00 PM   #133
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
You know, I've noticed that you do that a lot. Maybe you should, you know, clarify your meaning and actually address other posters.
It does address them, and it means that the signal-to-noise ratio is too low and that the onus is on them to try again and bring up that ratio - preferably by formalizing and/or reducing the number of claims.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:03 PM   #134
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Welcome to the winner's circle, Mycroft!

Remember what I said before, Tyr? Well, it applies to both of them.
You do understand that just because you call something official doesn't actually make it so? Not that I don't get your obsession with officialdom or your need for turning the response "that's a bunch of noise" into conceding defeat against a bunch of noise.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:07 PM   #135
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,059
oh dear
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:19 PM   #136
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
I'd rather suggest that the "Palestinians" where actually the victim of the Arabs, not the Israelis.

It was the invading Arabs who encouraged (or frightened) the "Palestinians" into leaving their homes in order to make it easier for them to destroy Israel, and kill all of the Jews, as they had promised to do.

And when that didn't work, they retreated, washed their hands of the "Palestinians", shrugged their shoulders, and abandoned them.

They didn't even allow them to enter their own countries, but forced them into refugee camps, where they remain until today.

(Mind you, after what the "Palestinians" did in Jordan and Lebanon, one can hardly blame them).
Beliefs like this are what the rot of Zionism can make a brain capable of.

120 years ago a group of European racists decided to displace the population of Palestine to make room for a Jewish State for Jewish People, and you blame Arabs for the expulsion of so many Palestinians during an effort to achieve that. Even within the partition territory of Israel - which the Zionists had no intention of honouring - there was an Arab majority : what kind of Jewish State with a semblence of democracy can have a non-Jewish majority? The non-Jewish majority will elect a government to declare the place not a Jewish State. Wouldn't you?

Your contention would be that the Zionists would have conceded a non-Jewish majority rather than, say, drive out as much of the native population as possible by bombing and bulldozing their villages with them still in it. Denying later that the villages were ever there in the first place.

There was no order by "the Arabs" for people to leave, since that's what the Egyptians, Iraqis and Syrians were there to prevent in the first place. They didn't succeed because all those countries had been under colonial rule and European occupation until less than two years before, so their armies were not up to much. Unlike the Israeli army, which had been preparing for the conquest for over two decades and had, in passing, established the foundations of Israel's impressive arms industry. And seen action in Iraq in 1941 as British Imperial auxiliaries

The only effective opposition was the Jordanian Army, the so-called Arab Legion, which also saw action with the British in 1941. Many Arabs suspected that the Jordanians had an agreement with the Zonists to take up the Palestinian allocation, and they were right to. Unity and trust were sorely lacking in the Arab camp, as you can imagine.

As it was, the Zionists had every intention of taking the whole cake in one bite: all the planning and preparation was based on that. The Jordanians found themselves facing Zionists advancing all along the line, and attacking Jerusalem, which was meant to be an international city. Their very spirited defence saved Jerusalem and some of the West Bank and rather styimied the whole Zionist project. Because a lot of the expelled Palestinians only got as far as the West Bank, and were still there in 1967 when the next bite was taken. Ejecting them as had happened in 1948 and after was not an option : people were wise to that "refugee" trick by then. So there they remain. A conundrum.

It was during the defence of Jerusalem that civilians were evacuated from a couple of villages along the road that were about to become a war-zone, and that is the source of your fantasy. Which, if you actually think about it, makes no sense. Nor does a sudden desire to "Kill all the Jews" when Palestinians had spent so many centuries doing precisely not that, and nobody else heard it. Not GCHQ in Cyprus nor the US listening station in the Greek mountains (where my Ancient History was seconded as a translator and having a whale of a time; they loved his accent, he loved their bourbon and shoddy card-play. I learnt a lot from that guy.)

Nor did anybody make mention of it at the time, as far as I'm aware. It seems to have emerged in the 50's at the earliest, when the real status of the refugees was becoming all too clear.

Interestingly, the Hagganah, who had experience of the Jordanian Army from their shared experience in Iraq, warned Ben Gurion that they were a serious force but Ben Gurion refused to believe that Arabs could fight without white officers, which he knew they were about to be withdrawn. As it turned out, Jordanian junior officers stepped up very effectively.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:21 PM   #137
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Now wait a second. That's not what Capel said. He said it was convenient to Zionism. Where do you get the collective guilt? He sounds more like an anti-Zionist than an anti-semite.
Thank you for that.

Of course, I make no secret of my anti-Zionism.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:26 PM   #138
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
He sounds like both to me.
In what way do I sound anti-semitic to you? Is this some of that "concealed anti-semitism" people keep seeing?

I think you'd benefit from being more conscious that Zionism is a sect within the Jewish world; it is not identical the whole it nor does it represent it. I'm sure you'd agree, but it seems to habitually slip your mind.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:31 PM   #139
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
In what way do I sound anti-semitic to you? Is this some of that "concealed anti-semitism" people keep seeing?
All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state. Therefor it is impossible to be a Jew outside the state, and hence opposition to the "Idea of the Nation" (Israel in this case) must be opposition to Jews and hence antisemitic.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:35 PM   #140
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 23,341
Damn, this is tiring. To save me further eye-strain, has anybody yet come up with details of the comprehensive peace plan purportedly refused by the Syrians? Ive been told with great certainty that such a thing was offered but when I ask for details the well of knowledge runs dry. What were Israel's demands? It's not as if they said "You can have a comprehensive peace plan: you write it, we'll sign it". The idea that Syria would turn down the Golan Heights is bizarre on the face of it, as is the idea that Israel would give up part of the Historic Claim once it's got its hands on it, so I'd love to know when this offer was made and what the Israeli demands were.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 06:47 PM   #141
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,172
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
You do understand that just because you call something official doesn't actually make it so?
You are correct: it is not so because I said it was so, but because your own actions have made it so. I am merely noting the fruits of your own labor.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:02 PM   #142
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You are correct: it is not so because I said it was so, but because your own actions have made it so. I am merely noting the fruits of your own labor.
Blah blah blah

That officially means that what you said is noise. Which it is, of course, since even if we accept that "my actions" are the reason why you declare something to be so, it is still just you saying that that should be the interpretation of "my actions" - such that they mean that rather than something else.

If your goal is to reduce the response "blah blah blah" then would it not be more rational to try to increase the signal-to-noise ratio in your posts?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 17th May 2016 at 07:04 PM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:08 PM   #143
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I was expecting fascist drivel and y'all are delivering in spades -
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Quote:
we've still yet to see the first response agreeing with taking a side against Israel for the activities mentioned in the article, but we're seeing the whole "list of fallacies" being used in defense of it.
...what? I don't know what you're saying. If you're saying that no one condemns Israel as a whole and oppose the country generally for cheering violence, I guess you're right. However, I certainly condemn those Israelis who are cheering violence.

Perhaps you're simply ignorant of it because there are so many posts over a few different threads going back years, but I'm critical of Israel a lot. While I understand that their election of their current government is in large part an understandable reaction to Palestinian actions to peace overtures like giving land back, I don't think this excuses it and think Likud are a bunch of right-wing war mongering dickheads. Israel has done and continues to do a bunch of wrong things. However, there is a huge golf between 'Zionist fascist who wants all the towel-heads dead' and 'Palestinian supporter who thinks all the Zionist dogs should get what they deserve', populated by all sorts of nuanced views.

The reasoning I see against Israel all too often is exactly like the Islamophobia crap I see in the US, and that's why I speak against it more than against Israel. Well, that and Israeli citizens speak against Israel actions and actually have a voice in it's course, so what I say doesn't matter nearly as much.

Quote:
You wouldn't be able to detect intellectual dishonesty - your reasoning skills are too lacking.
Regardless of my skill at detecting it, sometimes it's so manifest that even I can tell. I usually do the opposite and take an argument as good faith for far too long. Thanks for making it easy for me to see though.

Quote:
Btw, it was a comparison of the quality of the respective spectator sports, not a comparison of their morality. Obvious enough from that which was actually being stated.
Thanks for admitting it was a comparison! But no, it was not obvious. The context of the conversation says the opposite. English is difficult that way sometimes, especially online.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:10 PM   #144
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,441
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
It does address them, and it means that the signal-to-noise ratio is too low and that the onus is on them to try again and bring up that ratio - preferably by formalizing and/or reducing the number of claims.
And you did that to a post that was explicitly calling for clarification on your part about your posts. Your claim here is therefore without merit. You're just using it dismissively, not honestly.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:23 PM   #145
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 39,172
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
If your goal is to reduce the response "blah blah blah"
It isn't. As I already told Tyr, we should be encouraging you to admit defeat, and to do so often. I will not dissuade you from your chosen form of surrender, no matter what you might pretend it means.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:24 PM   #146
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
And you did that to a post that was explicitly calling for clarification on your part about your posts.
It was doing a lot more than that, I did say "signal-to-noise ratio" and not "entirely without signal". But since you insist, I will respond to the signal part calling for clarification:
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Why doesn't it?
Because it wasn't necessary.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 07:54 PM   #147
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Thanks for admitting it was a comparison! But no, it was not obvious. The context of the conversation says the opposite. English is difficult that way sometimes, especially online.
Substitute soccer: it must be sad to have nothing to cheer for other than a couple of people falling all over themselves on a mud field in the middle of nowhere, rather than a nice soccer spectacle in a large stadium with all the bells and whistles. Is this a statement on the morality of playing soccer? Is it one on the morality of cheering people playing soccer?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 08:33 PM   #148
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,630
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Damn, this is tiring. To save me further eye-strain, has anybody yet come up with details of the comprehensive peace plan purportedly refused by the Syrians? Ive been told with great certainty that such a thing was offered but when I ask for details the well of knowledge runs dry. What were Israel's demands? It's not as if they said "You can have a comprehensive peace plan: you write it, we'll sign it". The idea that Syria would turn down the Golan Heights is bizarre on the face of it, as is the idea that Israel would give up part of the Historic Claim once it's got its hands on it, so I'd love to know when this offer was made and what the Israeli demands were.
I'm sorry someone made an unsupported claim at you, but why does it matter? The Golan was forfeit the moment Syria went to war with Israel. So what if Israel didn't make any reasonable offer to return it afterwards? Any offer Israel made would have been more than Syria deserved, and if it didn't include the Golan, Syria has no-one to blame but themselves.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 12:50 AM   #149
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,947
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Damn, this is tiring. To save me further eye-strain, has anybody yet come up with details of the comprehensive peace plan purportedly refused by the Syrians? Ive been told with great certainty that such a thing was offered but when I ask for details the well of knowledge runs dry. What were Israel's demands? It's not as if they said "You can have a comprehensive peace plan: you write it, we'll sign it". The idea that Syria would turn down the Golan Heights is bizarre on the face of it, as is the idea that Israel would give up part of the Historic Claim once it's got its hands on it, so I'd love to know when this offer was made and what the Israeli demands were.
Of note, an attempt to point out that an Israeli-offered comprehensive peace plan that had the Golan Heights being returned didn't exist in the first place could be a valid counter-argument to the specific claim that Ziggurat made, if you backed it up reasonably, with directly relevant arguments, rather than the dodge that is "but the leader would be a hero if he got back the land." I fully admit that I'm not an expert on that matter, though, so I'm not going to make any particular argument in any particular direction. Still, my opinion is much in line with theprestige's on this matter. As I've kept noting, war is a serious matter, with serious consequences, especially if the aggressor loses badly... in this case, repeatedly loses badly. That's before getting to the currently relevant question of who in Syria is actually worth negotiating with, at present.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th May 2016 at 12:58 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 02:00 AM   #150
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state. Therefor it is impossible to be a Jew outside the state, and hence opposition to the "Idea of the Nation" (Israel in this case) must be opposition to Jews and hence antisemitic.
There are Jews who are anti-Zionists. Do they have internalised anti-semitism?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 02:51 AM   #151
Roofgardener
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Beliefs like this are what the rot of Zionism can make a brain capable of.
Good to see you debating in an objective fashion. Tell me, are you actually capable of using the word "Zionist" without attaching a parasitic perjorative, or is it.. like... a form of Torretts syndrome for you ?

Quote:
120 years ago a group of European racists decided to .....
OK.. lets stop there. What makes you think that the early Zionist movement was racist ? You throw that term around from time to time... but justify it.

Quote:
...... and you blame Arabs for the expulsion of so many Palestinians....
I don't believe I used the term "expulsion" ? (or if I did, it was in error). The bulk of the Palestinian Arabs where not expelled, they FLED, fearing that their towns where about to become combat zones. They may also have projected their OWN historical behavior (the anti-Jewish pogroms and the crime of "Dhimmitude) onto the Jews, and expected bloodthirsty mass-retribution. (which - of course - did NOT happen).

Quote:
.....
They didn't succeed because all those countries had been under colonial rule and European occupation until less than two years before, so their armies were not up to much. Unlike the Israeli army, which had been preparing for the conquest for over two decades and had, in passing, established the foundations of Israel's impressive arms industry. And seen action in Iraq in 1941 as British Imperial auxiliaries
Hilarious.
At the beginning of the main Arab invasion, the Israeli's had no tanks, artillary (other than mortars), or military aircraft.

The Arabs had British and French tanks, artillary, Spitfires, and light bomber aircraft.

Crudely speaking, the Israeli's won because they where fighting for their lives and where highly motivated. The Arabs lost because they where fighting for a land-grab, and their troops where a product of their respective societies, and treated very poorly.

Quote:
....

As it was, the Zionists had every intention of taking the whole cake in one bite: all the planning and preparation was based on that.....
Oh REALLY ? Then why didn't they ?
Quote:
The Jordanians found themselves facing Zionists advancing all along the line, and attacking Jerusalem, which was meant to be an international city.
THEIR line ? All of the fighting took place within "Israel", which was modelled on the original UN mandate. It was the Jordanians that attacked Jerusalem. And as for an international city; the Arabs REJECTED that plan. they wanted Jerusalem (and indeed, the whole of the Levant) to be JORDANIAN (note the way that they annexed the West Bank).

Quote:
Their very spirited defence saved Jerusalem and some of the West Bank and rather styimied the whole Zionist project. Because a lot of the expelled Palestinians only got as far as the West Bank, and were still there in 1967 when the next bite was taken. Ejecting them as had happened in 1948 and after was not an option : people were wise to that "refugee" trick by then. So there they remain. A conundrum.
WHAT "Palestinians" ? Jordan permanantly annexed the West Bank as being a part of Jordan, and all people therein where transferred to Jordanian nationality.


I could go on, but I'd like to see you respond to the above.
Roofgardener is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 07:02 AM   #152
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Moderator
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12,393
Mod Warning Please try to elevate the level of debate a little; repeated posts of "blah blah blah" are getting close towards the rule 6 line as well as being neither civil nor polite. Whilst the mod team understands that passions can run high in these discussions, will you all please remember your MA as you type and submit your responses.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Posted By:Agatha
__________________
Why can't you be more like Agatha? - Loss Leader
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 09:33 AM   #153
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 7,296
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right.... Here you trash any foundation for your objections about the same being done elsewhere. Your rant is, then, all about taking a side against Israel....And? And they are greatly concerned, with communities losing population in France, Sweden, and other places one might think local enlightenment would save them. Turns out there is a growing alliance between extreme righties and/or lefties and Islamic militants, and plenty of terror against Jews for being Jews....In southern Europe, you will find common sayings and expressions still in use that are horribly anti-Semitic. 'Dirty Jew' is still a common insult. And very few Jews remain....That will be quite enough from you: collective guilt justifying mass murder of innocents. Lucky for you, the only people who regularly kill for spouting such nonsense are your friends in the Master Faith.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Well, Zionism _did_ predate the Holocaust, didn't it? ...Now wait a second. That's not what Capel said. He said it was convenient to Zionism. Where do you get the collective guilt? He sounds more like an anti-Zionist than an anti-semite.
Given Argumemnon's response, I took a look and I've decided I was definitely cruising at too great a speed, and suspend my response to the thread until such time as due diligence might be done, whenever that might be. Apologies for any undeserved servings of ire. Could still be the case a similar post might be made, in theory, but not without greater pause to consider. (Busy right now for this kinda thread.)

Argumemnon, appreciate the head's up.
__________________
Driftwood on an empty shore of the sea of meaninglessness. Irrelevant, weightless, inconsequential moment of existential hubris on the fast track to oblivion. Spends that time videogaming.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 09:51 AM   #154
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Glad to have been of service.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:03 AM   #155
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
There are Jews who are anti-Zionists. Do they have internalised anti-semitism?
According to the Israeli far-right and its international fascist allies[*], they would be "self-hating Jews" and hence antisemitic. Haven't noticed that yet?

Perhaps you misunderstood my post as my argument, rather than me sketching the far-right argument regarding that. "All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state" is Mussolini's main principle and definition of fascism, and it is the same argument being made by the far-right today to argue that opposition to Israel is antisemitism - as per the argument I sketched.

* most fascists internationally are aligned with and supportive of Israel, it's only the neo-nazi nutters that do that "Down with Israel, death to the Jews!" thing.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by caveman1917; 18th May 2016 at 10:13 AM.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:22 AM   #156
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
According to the Israeli far-right and its international fascist allies[*], they would be "self-hating Jews" and hence antisemitic. Haven't noticed that yet?
Yes, what was I thinking? It's like internalised misogyny for feminists.

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstood my post as my argument, rather than me sketching the far-right argument regarding that.
I wasn't sure if you were serious but I wanted to address the idea conveyed nonetheless.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:34 AM   #157
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, what was I thinking? It's like internalised misogyny for feminists.
Internalized misogyny for feminists?

Quote:
I wasn't sure if you were serious but I wanted to address the idea conveyed nonetheless.
I was serious, I just didn't mean that I subscribe to that argument, which might not have been clear.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:43 AM   #158
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Internalized misogyny for feminists?
Oh, you know when a woman says she's not a feminist because she disagrees with their methods, they claim that she has internalised misogyny. It's a nice way to dismiss them.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 10:59 AM   #159
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,662
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, you know when a woman says she's not a feminist because she disagrees with their methods
That doesn't make any sense. There are no "feminist methods" - there are methods that specific groups of (self-proclaimed) feminists might employ, but feminism =/= certain methods. Feminism is just taking a position against patriarchy for gender equality, it doesn't mean employing specific methods.

Quote:
they claim that she has internalised misogyny.
Like with most things, feminists range anywhere from libertarian over socialist to liberal and even fascist. Who are "they", specifically?
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2016, 11:10 AM   #160
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 72,392
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
That doesn't make any sense.
And yet, that's exactly what's happening. I'm just making a parallel, here. You can look up the term.

Quote:
Like with most things, feminists range anywhere from libertarian over socialist to liberal and even fascist. Who are "they", specifically?
Intersectional feminists, more specifically.

/derail
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.