ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags North Korea incidents , North Korea issues

Old 6th September 2017, 06:35 PM   #121
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
^ To qualify the lecture technique of this English language teacher in Japan (IIRC), here's what he quotes and leaves out in green and red:
I also asked for clarification on some points. Any answers to my questions?

Should we now analyse what people say according to their occupation or where they live? Perhaps you could explain what special qualifications you have or that Tim Anderson or Eva Bartlett have?
At least I am addressing their claims rather than making ad hominem attacks which is the extent of your response to me.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:41 PM   #122
Childlike Empress
Suspended

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I also asked for clarification on some points. Any answers to my questions?

Should we now analyse what people say according to their occupation or where they live? Perhaps you could explain what special qualifications you have or that Tim Anderson or Eva Bartlett have?
At least I am addressing their claims rather than making ad hominem attacks which is the extent of your response to me.

What special qualification do you have, aside from western brainwashing fine-tuned by living under Japan's media influence? Why did you leave out the more-than-one-bomb per Pyongyang citizen information? Unimportant? No material, not even empty words to "debunk" it? Was it subconscious (I have no problem to believe that)?

Contrary to you and me, Bartlett, Anderson and Ortiz have just returned with fresh information from the country, and your breathless and wordy reaction shows how important it is.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:43 PM   #123
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

So like here is a totally crazy idea. NK has been isolated for over 50 years and it simply hasn't worked, they are kept outside in the rain and threatened, and then we wonder why they play the big tough back. So the crazy bit, how about instead of escalating things we actually try and convince them to come and join everyone else at the party.

If India and Pakistan can get by without nuking each other, then really I think that NK can do it. If we stop treating them like the outcasts and enemy, maybe they'll stop acting like it. So my suggestion is that instead of threatening them, we sell them stuff, get rid of the embargos and start trading with them. The thing is that it's very rare for countries to attack trading partners because they are generally better off being able to trade with those countries rather then fighting them.

Look at China and the US, ideologically they are opposed, but they are unlikely to go to war as long as they need each other tradewise. Start trading with NK, and it takes the whole sting out of what they do, they can't play the same cards, but rather would find themselves drawn into the way of the world with the rest of the nations on Earth and it's do the same to them as is happening to Iran and Cuba.

Trade and the ability to gain wealth will override the desires to go to war.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:44 PM   #124
angrysoba
Philosophile

What special qualification do you have, aside from western brainwashing fine-tuned by living under Japan's media influence? Why did you leave out the more-than-one-bomb per Pyongyang citizen information? Unimportant? No material, not even empty words to "debunk" it? Was it subconscious (I have no problem to believe that)?

Contrary to you and me, Bartlett, Anderson and Ortiz have just returned with fresh information from the country, and your breathless and wordy reaction shows how important it is.
I'm not disputing the bombing claim. It may or may not be accurate. As for the "new information" that that group have brought back, what is it? It's just the same old propaganda line that has brainwashed people like you.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 06:45 PM   #125
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
So like here is a totally crazy idea. NK has been isolated for over 50 years and it simply hasn't worked, they are kept outside in the rain and threatened, and then we wonder why they play the big tough back. So the crazy bit, how about instead of escalating things we actually try and convince them to come and join everyone else at the party.

If India and Pakistan can get by without nuking each other, then really I think that NK can do it. If we stop treating them like the outcasts and enemy, maybe they'll stop acting like it. So my suggestion is that instead of threatening them, we sell them stuff, get rid of the embargos and start trading with them. The thing is that it's very rare for countries to attack trading partners because they are generally better off being able to trade with those countries rather then fighting them.

Look at China and the US, ideologically they are opposed, but they are unlikely to go to war as long as they need each other tradewise. Start trading with NK, and it takes the whole sting out of what they do, they can't play the same cards, but rather would find themselves drawn into the way of the world with the rest of the nations on Earth and it's do the same to them as is happening to Iran and Cuba.

Trade and the ability to gain wealth will override the desires to go to war.
Nice idea. We can call it the Sunshine Policy!

Old 6th September 2017, 06:50 PM   #126
Childlike Empress
Suspended

I'm not disputing the bombing claim. It may or may not be accurate. As for the "new information" that that group have brought back, what is it? It's just the same old propaganda line that has brainwashed people like you.

What a cheap comeback. Focus on the essence. It's like the heroic Andre Vltchek put it in the spring craze:

Trump – in North Korea You will be Murdering Human Beings!

They aren't paranoid. They know who they are dealing with.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th September 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:01 PM   #127
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Nice idea. We can call it the Sunshine Policy!
I know you were being sarcastic, but I think it is well worth a shot, I mean what is there to lose when the other way leads to thermonuclear war?

Take off the sanctions, get them to open up and setup a huge tourist market there. If they become reliant on the International community for their dollars via trade and tourism, then they have a major motivation to not harm those by getting out of line later on.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:03 PM   #128
angrysoba
Philosophile

^ To qualify the lecture technique of this English language teacher in Japan (IIRC), here's what he quotes and leaves out in green and red:

What a cheap comeback.
Quoted for irony.

CE, you went straight for ad hom and accusations of brainwashing. Now that I have given you a taste of your own medicine you cry foul.

If you want to discuss the issues properly and civilly and without resorting to cheap tactics of your own I will be happy to do so. If you want to continue the way you started which was to attack me as a person then don't expect to take the moral highground indefinitely because I am just as capable of being rude as you are.

Old 6th September 2017, 07:41 PM   #129
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I know you were being sarcastic, but I think it is well worth a shot, I mean what is there to lose when the other way leads to thermonuclear war?

Take off the sanctions, get them to open up and setup a huge tourist market there. If they become reliant on the International community for their dollars via trade and tourism, then they have a major motivation to not harm those by getting out of line later on.
We already gave it a shot. That's the point you studiously missed.

And if you want to follow the India-Pakistan example, you better give nukes to South Korea and Japan. Are you ready to take that step?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 07:47 PM   #130
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No one is making North Korea be isolated.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 08:30 PM   #131
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
We already gave it a shot. That's the point you studiously missed.
Really? When was that?

My Apollo Page.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:31 PM   #132
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No one is making North Korea be isolated.
You mean except the nations that are isolating it unless it gives in to their demands?

My Apollo Page.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:54 PM   #133
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You mean except the nations that are isolating it unless it gives in to their demands?
Yes, no one is making the rapist beat them except the ones who won't give in to their demands of rape.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 09:06 PM   #134
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Did you not get the reference you replied to earlier?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 10:58 PM   #135
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Here's more reporting from the same group visiting the country, for your amusement:

What We Saw in North Korea Goes against Everything Western Media Wants Us to Believe
What they saw in Pyongyang is exactly as the western media reports.
Every media report I have read or seen talks of a relatively good life for the elites who live there.

They won't be allowed to see anything but the most glorious showpieces, pre-selected for their enjoyment.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 05:36 AM   #136
angrysoba
Philosophile

By the way, enough of what the Western media want us to believe about North Korea. Let's oblige North Korea and listen to what their media want us to believe about North Korea:

Quote:
Pyongyang, August 31 (KCNA) -- A spokesman for the Central Court of the DPRK issued the following statement Thursday:

The hostile forces, dumbfounded by the independent spirit and tremendous capabilities of Songun Korea demonstrating its might as a nuclear power of Juche and a world-level military power, are more persistently resorting to sordid smear campaign against the DPRK.

Taking the lead in the campaign are a group of conservatives in south Korea going helter-skelter, being unaware of their impending death.

Gentries of Dong-A Ilbo and Chosun Ilbo, newspapers speaking for the conservatives, committed a hideous crime of seriously insulting the dignity of the DPRK with the use of dishonest contents carried by "North Korea Confidential", a propaganda book authored by two British journalists.

Article 60 of the DPRK Criminal Code stipulates that those who insulted the dignity of the DPRK from the anti-state purpose shall be sentenced even to maximum punishment including death, depending on the severity of the perpetration.

The Central Court of the DPRK declares that Dong-A Ilbo journalist [angrysoba's redaction] and Director General [angrysoba's redaction] and Chosun Ilbo journalist [angrysoba's redaction] and Director General [angrysoba's redaction] will be sentenced to capital punishment under the DPRK Criminal Code.

The criminals hold no right to appeal and the execution will be carried out any moment and at any place without going through any additional procedures as soon as the objects are confirmed.

We will track down to the end those who masterminded and manipulated hideous provocations of slandering and insulting the dignity of the DPRK and mete out death to them.
This is pretty extraordinary. Journalists in South Korea are being threatened with death sentences handed down by a North Korean court for writing things against the North Korean government. And this is not some Yankee fabrication. This is what North Korea has gone to the trouble of translating into English because it wants the world to believe it kills journalists who "blaspheme" against its government. And why South Korean journalists and not the British journalists who wrote the book the Korean journalists were writing? Well, because North Korea believes it has legitimate authority over South Koreans because what it wants is to take over South Korea.

This is what apologists never seem to understand. The way that North Korea is portrayed by Western media is almost exactly how it wants to be portrayed. It is as if ISIS apologists were trying to tell us that ISIS don't like cutting off heads as ISIS were churning out videos showing them cutting off heads and saying that they like doing this very much.

Old 7th September 2017, 05:39 AM   #137
Belz...
Fiend God

What special qualification do you have, aside from western brainwashing fine-tuned by living under Japan's media influence?
Oh the irony! You consistently take your news from anti-western sources, and you have the gall to call someone else on brainwashing?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 06:22 AM   #138
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh the irony! You consistently take your news from anti-western sources, and you have the gall to call someone else on brainwashing?
Speaking of swallowing propaganda, I cannot believe I missed this little give away by Tim Anderson in that fawning portrayal of North Korea:

Quote:
Most seem proud that their country is standing up to an imperial power that has occupied their country for a lifetime, while invading dozens of others.
There's no prizes for guessing he thinks the United States is the imperial power, but what is this about occupying North Korea? Oh wait, he means that the US having bases in South Korea means that it is an occupied part of the Democrat People's Republic of Korea.

Wow! That is the most stunning piece of useful idiocy I have seen in a long time.

Does this not sink in for the apologists yet? North Korea wants South Korea. That is its endgame.

Old 7th September 2017, 08:15 AM   #139
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

There needs to be cooler tempers. That Kim Jong Un is half-mad.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There needs to be cooler tempers. That Kim Jong Un is half-mad.
Correction. His father was half mad. He's three quarters. Assuming this is genetic, it says a lot about the Kim family's women.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 09:27 AM   #141
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That Kim Jong Un is half-mad.
He's just ronery. So ronery.
Old 7th September 2017, 09:42 AM   #142
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
This may bring you up to date on Patriot PAC-3. (A friend of mine worked on that program about 20 years ago.)
THAAD is a bit of a different architecture, but also worth a look
Heh. I always joked that THAAD was named after me (I go by Thad for my first name).
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 11:27 AM   #143
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

That's not what you see. That's what's in your head.
Apparently pictures of smiling children make slave-labor prison camps go away?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 03:25 PM   #144
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Heh. I always joked that THAAD was named after me (I go by Thad for my first name).
I remember someone on TV pronouncing it at "THUD" -- he was quickly corrected.
Old 7th September 2017, 05:27 PM   #145
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I remember someone on TV pronouncing it at "THUD" -- he was quickly corrected.
It's what Donald Trump might tweet if he had a lisp. "North Korea's launching missiles again. THAAD!"

Old 9th September 2017, 05:55 PM   #146
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

For those few of you not of the short attention span generation, an interesting article from the New Yorker regarding North Korea and Kim Jong Un .

Then again, it is published by those pretentious (rule 10)s at the New Yorker, so maybe bring a grain of salt.

The most resonant message in that piece is that the ability to collect intel in NK is rather trying. No kidding. I've known that for a quarter of a century. Thanks for catching up, New Yorker.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 9th September 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 06:07 PM   #147
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Here's more reporting from the same group visiting the country, for your amusement:

What We Saw in North Korea Goes against Everything Western Media Wants Us to Believe
Against what I believe? So North Korean actually are able to watch Western movies without review by the government?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 11:07 PM   #148
Noztradamus
Illuminator

It's not as it Norkorea hasn't made friendly gestures for attention in the past\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ng_North_Korea
Old 10th September 2017, 12:50 AM   #149
Wayward son
Critical Thinker

Prime example of DPRK line, and supported by some "socialist historians" - presumably someone like Bruce Cumings.
Actually, I am pretty sure that even a useful idiot like Cumings long ago stopped making the claim that the US/South Korea started the Korean War.

The claim still comes from more clownish historians like Anthony Gronowicz who rely on Cumings older debunked works.

I used to think that Eva Bartlett was a useful idiot for the world's most brutal dictators, but I have since come to believe that she is a far, far worse human being.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2017, 03:32 PM   #150
angrysoba
Philosophile

Another day, another missile. This one also seems to have missed, fortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4206.jpg (92.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 14th September 2017, 04:00 PM   #151
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Unless it was actually aimed at Japan, it would seem that no luck was involved in not hitting it.

My Apollo Page.
Old 14th September 2017, 05:21 PM   #152
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it hit the planet, at least.
Old 14th September 2017, 05:57 PM   #153
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, it hit the planet, at least.
Yes but, were they AIMING at this one?
Old 14th September 2017, 06:15 PM   #154
angrysoba
Philosophile

Unless it was actually aimed at Japan, it would seem that no luck was involved in not hitting it.
No, they were aiming to miss. Which means luck was involved that it did miss.

Old 14th September 2017, 07:17 PM   #155
angrysoba
Philosophile

This is interesting coming from someone who is considered to be "soft" on North Korea:

Quote:
The South Korean national security council has held an emergency meeting at which president Moon Jae-in ordered officials to prepare for the possibility of biological attacks from the North.

Moon said Seoul wanted “stern” diplomatic and military pressures to be applied, including a live-fire drill of the Hyunmoo-2 ballistic missile in a show of force against Pyongyang.

Park Su-hyun, a spokesman for the president, said officials had been instructed to prepare for biological and chemical weapons attacks, as well as potential electromagnetic pulse attacks.

North Korea claimed after its nuclear test on 3 September that it had weapons capable of carrying out such attacks, in which detonation creates a wave of electrical energy that could disable electrical systems and communications.

Old 14th September 2017, 07:25 PM   #156
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Just chatted to a friend is Osaka - the worry is increasing.

China has to play a role in stopping this. If not willing, stop buying from them directly or indirectly - The new iPhone. drop it, as an example.

I truly think that consumerism, or lack of it, can stop this. It is the only form of attack left for us mere politically ineffectual voters.
Old 15th September 2017, 07:33 AM   #157
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

That Kim Jong Un is not right in the head.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 08:03 AM   #158
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

This is interesting coming from someone who is considered to be "soft" on North Korea:
This is interesting because Kim knows that Moon knows NK won't strike pre-emptively. So, huddling quickly to warn of attack signals that Moon knows something drastic is afoot from the US. Bluff to Kim?

Either way, the "we are super super serious THIS time" doesn't work.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th September 2017 at 08:04 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 01:58 PM   #159
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

If we were actually luck, it would have exploded on launch. As it is, this was a successful test which probably produced useful data for them.

I think we should test our ballistic missile defense systems the next time they try a test like that.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:19 PM   #160
Hans
Philosopher

That Kim Jong Un is not right in the head.
Henri, I'm quite proud of you, after all these years you've said something almost right! Congrats.

Now he's a murdering swine but he is smart enough to know just how far he can push the Americans and not get himself killed.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics