IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion

Old 30th September 2022, 07:14 PM   #2081
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
Nice links...
It's not difficult when it's the truth.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 11:00 PM   #2082
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's not difficult when it's the truth.

The truth never hindered the Zealots in their zeal for peddling their perfidy and distorting reality to fit their delusions of "alternative facts" and hoodwinking their cult victims by telling them reality is not good for them.
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 01:19 PM   #2083
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it does read like a CT forum but, it turns out this one is true.
What the warped one doesn't understand is the importance of facts and evidence. Feelings and opinions are more important in the warped view of reality.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 02:59 PM   #2084
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What the warped one doesn't understand is the importance of facts and evidence. Feelings and opinions are more important in the warped view of reality.
Not, of course, ours. Now if only the holder of the moral cudgel could decide finally whether it's a greater virtue to give offense to ours, or simply not to care.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:14 AM   #2085
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Thank christ this is only happening to women, and not anyone important:

Quote:
Doctors have stopped prescribing certain medications, and pharmacists have stopped filling them, because the drugs could hurt hypothetical fetuses

https://jezebel.com/non-pregnant-wom...vin-1849606994
Old 3rd October 2022, 05:46 PM   #2086
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Hardcore Anti-abortionist Herschel Walker may have paid for a girlfriend’s abortion.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pro-li...georgia-senate

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2022, 05:49 PM   #2087
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Hardcore Anti-abortionist Herschel Walker may have paid for a girlfriend’s abortion.

That was predictable.
Old 3rd October 2022, 06:10 PM   #2088
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
That was predictable.
He should have gone with "I can't remember." That would have been understandable given the current state of his mental fitness.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:22 PM   #2089
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently his family ain't too happy with him...

Herschel Walker’s son lashed out at him Monday on Twitter after the Republican U.S. Senate candidate denied a report that he paid for an ex-girlfriend’s abortion.... “Every family member of Herschel Walker asked him not to run for office, because we all knew (some of) his past. Every single one,” tweeted Christian Walker, a conservative social media personality.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:30 PM   #2090
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Apparently his family ain't too happy with him...

Herschel Walker’s son lashed out at him Monday on Twitter after the Republican U.S. Senate candidate denied a report that he paid for an ex-girlfriend’s abortion.... “Every family member of Herschel Walker asked him not to run for office, because we all knew (some of) his past. Every single one,” tweeted Christian Walker, a conservative social media personality.
Anyone who votes for Herschel Walker is a damn fool. But then again, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of damn fools in the GOP.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2022, 08:20 PM   #2091
Leumas
Philosopher

Anyone who votes for Herschel Walker is a damn fool. But then again, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of damn fools in the GOP.

Dana Loesch Tosses Family Values Out the Window While Defending Herschel Walker Paying For Abortion
Quote:
I do not care if Heschel Walker paid to abort endangered baby eagle babies... I want control of the senate

Newt Gingrich Defends Herschel Walker: ‘He Had a Lot of Concussions’
Quote:
I think Walker is the most important Senate candidate in the country because he’ll do more to change the Senate… by his deep commitment to Christ. He had a lot of concussions
Watch this newt saying it on live TV @minute 6:00

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

watch @minute 6:00
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Proverbs 26:11 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2022, 08:41 PM   #2092
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans:" we like our Representatives heavily concussed".
Old 5th October 2022, 08:49 PM   #2093
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, Trump isn't a misogynist! From Leumas' second video above:

What a POS he is.
Old 5th October 2022, 09:29 PM   #2094
Leumas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Republicans:" we like our Representatives heavily concussed".

and without morals or ethics or decency or integrity and willing and grateful to swallow all excretions coming out of Trump's malodorous crevices.

Last edited by Leumas; 5th October 2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12th October 2022, 07:57 AM   #2095
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Avoiding the issue of fetal personhood, for now. Still, the Pandora's box has been opened & I really don't think they'll avoid it forever.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/11/politics/fetal-personhood-case-supreme-court
Old 12th October 2022, 08:33 PM   #2096
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Roe VS Wade overturned on Biden's watch. Congrats?

Every single justice that voted to overturn Roe were appointed by Republican Presidents. Three appointed by Trump. But we should blame Biden? Yea, that makes sense.
Old 12th October 2022, 08:39 PM   #2097
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Every single justice that voted to overturn Roe were appointed by Republican Presidents. Three appointed by Trump. But we should blame Biden? Yea, that makes sense.

No. The failure of the Democrats, in this case, is much larger than Joe Biden. I mean if we just look at pathetic Ginsburg and her contribution. And, of course, the pathetic Dem campaign of 2016...Jesus.
Old 12th October 2022, 09:27 PM   #2098
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
No. The failure of the Democrats, in this case, is much larger than Joe Biden. I mean if we just look at pathetic Ginsburg and her contribution. And, of course, the pathetic Dem campaign of 2016...Jesus.
Because Republicans have no agency and always need Dems to keep them in check lest they do horrible things?
Yep, it's the Dem's fault for letting the toddlers take the wheel.
Old 12th October 2022, 09:38 PM   #2099
Warp12
King of Kings

Because Republicans have no agency and always need Dems to keep them in check lest they do horrible things?
Yep, it's the Dem's fault for letting the toddlers take the wheel.

That is not the point. If you know that a party has an intended goal that is against yours, in life or politics, you have the #1 responsibility to see to it that your wishes are protected.

The Republicans have not made their disdain for Roe a secret all of these years, after all.
Old 12th October 2022, 09:57 PM   #2100
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That is not the point. If you know that a party has an intended goal that is against yours, in life or politics, you have the #1 responsibility to see to it that your wishes are protected.

The Republicans have not made their disdain for Roe a secret all of these years, after all.
And yet every SC nominee has said that Roe is settled law.
Your criticism boils down to: Dem voters in general and Ginsburg in particular should have known that Republicans would nominate liars with no ethics and no qualification (according to the Bar Association).
In short: you, like all Republicans, when you drill down to it, think that it's the Dem's job to stop Republicans from doing bad things, because Republicans are unable to stop themselves.
Old 12th October 2022, 10:00 PM   #2101
Warp12
King of Kings

And yet every SC nominee has said that Roe is settled law.
Your criticism boils down to: Dem voters in general and Ginsburg in particular should have known that Republicans would nominate liars with no ethics and no qualification (according to the Bar Association).
In short: you, like all Republicans, when you drill down to it, think that it's the Dem's job to stop Republicans from doing bad things, because Republicans are unable to stop themselves.

Wrong.

You are characterizing things as "bad". And the point is, if your party thinks they are bad, they need to make better choices. For example, stupid Ginsburg, and your horrible 2016 campaign.

As a conservative, I can just sit here and laugh at the predictable results. It is no skin off my ass.
Old 12th October 2022, 10:12 PM   #2102
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Warp, it's objectively true that this far-right Supreme Court has made decisions that are unprecedented, not supported by law and harmful for most Americans.
I think this qualifies as "bad".

Btw, I agree with you that Ginsburg should have retried and that All Americans should have voted for HRC, if for no other reason than to protect the Supreme Court from the current evil clown show.
Old 13th October 2022, 05:19 AM   #2103
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

HA HA women are losing rights but the Libruls are tweaked.
Old 14th October 2022, 02:01 PM   #2104
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No comment required.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/inces...b08e0e6081abf8
Old 14th October 2022, 03:16 PM   #2105
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Meh. Typical ploy of normalizing the outlier in order to promote an agenda.
Old 14th October 2022, 03:30 PM   #2106
arayder
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The typical ploy of dismissing the harm caused someone because the someone is only one person.

Last edited by arayder; 14th October 2022 at 03:31 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2022, 03:50 PM   #2107
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Not even in the same hemisphere as edgy.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:04 PM   #2108
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, we know: young girls being forced to carry a rapist's baby by some states is just 'meh'. Especially to men it will never happen to.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:13 PM   #2109
Warp12
King of Kings

Yes, we know: young girls being forced to carry a rapist's baby by some states is just 'meh'. Especially to men it will never happen to.

Well, it is unfortunately what liberals want. They (as clearly demonstrated in this thread) are critical of measures that allow for exceptions. They are haughty with their condemnation of such.

Let those rape babies simmer in the fertile wombs that were existentially created by Dems.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:19 PM   #2110
arayder
Illuminator

Troll failure alert!

Reading is fundamental.

The doctor, Dr. Shelly Tien, quoted in the article said pregnancy as a “result of violence is not a rare thing,”.

So is she wrong, Warp? Lying?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2022, 04:37 PM   #2111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it is unfortunately what liberals want. They (as clearly demonstrated in this thread) are critical of measures that allow for exceptions. They are haughty with their condemnation of such.

Let those rape babies simmer in the fertile wombs that were existentially created by Dems.
Are you attempting to prove that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it? If so, it's already been done:

Quote:
How liars create the ‘illusion of truth’

Repetition makes a fact seem more true, regardless of whether it is or not. Understanding this effect can help you avoid falling for propaganda, says psychologist Tom Stafford.
We can see a classic example of this by looking at the number of Republicans and Indie conservatives who have fallen for Trump's Big Lie. Trump began planting the seeds for his Big Lie well before the election he'd eventually lose because he knows that ignorance is fertile ground for believing falsehoods.

Quote:
But part of guarding against the illusion is the obligation it puts on us to stop repeating falsehoods. We live in a world where the facts matter, and should matter. If you repeat things without bothering to check if they are true, you are helping to make a world where lies and truth are easier to confuse. So, please, think before you repeat.

The greatest defense against falling for the 'illusion of truth' is prior knowledge of the facts. We have read this thread and know the facts of what was said and what wasn't. And your claim is devoid of known facts.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:46 PM   #2112
Warp12
King of Kings

Are you attempting to prove that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it? If so, it's already been done:

We can see a classic example of this by looking at the number of Republicans and Indie conservatives who have fallen for Trump's Big Lie. Trump began planting the seeds for his Big Lie well before the election he'd eventually lose because he knows that ignorance is fertile ground for believing falsehoods.

The greatest defense against falling for the 'illusion of truth' is prior knowledge of the facts. We have read this thread and know the facts of what was said and what wasn't. And your claim is devoid of known facts.

WTH are you babbling about, lol? Just address my statement directly. Please.

You have offered nothing to refute my position.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:52 PM   #2113
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I suggest you try reading my post again as you apparently have not connected this opening statement "Are you attempting to prove that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it? If so, it's already been done," to this closing statement, "The greatest defense against falling for the 'illusion of truth' is prior knowledge of the facts. We have read this thread and know the facts of what was said and what wasn't. And your claim is devoid of known facts."

I suggest you offer something to support your claim that "Well, it is unfortunately what liberals want. They (as clearly demonstrated in this thread) are critical of measures that allow for exceptions," with like, oh...I dunno... cited quotes.
Old 14th October 2022, 04:55 PM   #2114
Warp12
King of Kings

I suggest you offer something to support your claim that "Well, it is unfortunately what liberals want. They (as clearly demonstrated in this thread) are critical of measures that allow for exceptions," with like, oh...I dunno... cited quotes.

So, prove to you water is wet?

Like, clearly some, I believe perhaps yourself, have criticized conservatives for endorsing exceptions. Perhaps revisit the history in this thread.

I think you might be awakened when viewing the words of those certain Dems.
Old 14th October 2022, 05:05 PM   #2115
arayder
Illuminator

Your "position" is based on your biased mind reading of people you call liberals. Better for you that you might have read the article you think supports your prejudice.

One has to wonder how many little girls are going to get raped and impregnated before you put your hatred of liberals aside and recognize their rights no matter how many of them you think there might be?

Last edited by arayder; 14th October 2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 14th October 2022, 05:17 PM   #2116
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So, prove to you water is wet?
You didn't claim water is wet, so no. Apparently, you did not understand (again) what I want when I suggested you: "offer something to support your claim that "Well, it is unfortunately what liberals want. They (as clearly demonstrated in this thread) are critical of measures that allow for exceptions," with like, oh...I dunno... cited quotes."

Quote:
Like, clearly some, I believe perhaps yourself, have criticized conservatives for endorsing exceptions. Perhaps revisit the history in this thread.
No, I know what I said and it is not my job to disprove your claim. If you make a claim, it's on you to support it with evidence. What next? Are you going to claim I said "Red is yellow and yellow is red" and then expect me to prove I didn't say that?

Quote:
I think you might be awakened when viewing the words of those certain Dems.
I think you might be trying to avoid actually quoting "the words of those certain Dems." Why is that?
Old 14th October 2022, 05:23 PM   #2117
arayder
Illuminator

Warp, so far you have posted an article that refutes your own argument, pretended to be able to read minds and declared yourself the winner of the debate.

That's three strikes.
Old 14th October 2022, 06:16 PM   #2118
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I hope you don't have, and never have, children.
Old 14th October 2022, 07:05 PM   #2119
Hercules56
Master Poster

As a Liberal I have no problem with a ban on abortion after the point of reasonable viability, which is around 25 weeks and later. With an exception to save the life of the mother or prevent serious physical harm, or if the fetus is severely deformed and/or likely to die after birth.

There is no point forcing women to go to term with a fetus before the point at which it would likely survive outside the womb.

Last edited by Hercules56; 14th October 2022 at 07:07 PM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2022, 07:15 PM   #2120
Hercules56
Master Poster

So all rape victims are Democrats? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics