ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd December 2018, 02:20 PM   #201
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thanks @RandPaul “I am very proud of the President. This is exactly what he promised, and I think the people agree with him. We’ve been at war too long and in too many places...spent several trillion dollars on these wars everywhere. He’s different...that’s why he got elected.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:01 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Thanks @RandPaul “I am very proud of the President. This is exactly what he promised, and I think the people agree with him. We’ve been at war too long and in too many places...spent several trillion dollars on these wars everywhere. He’s different...that’s why he got elected.”
Oh, he's 'different' all right. I'll give him that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:43 PM   #203
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, well, this could be relevant.

It's been reported that Trump has become favourable to Erik Prince's proposition to privatise the war in Afghanistan, and has been pushing it to Afghan officials

Blackwater, Prince's private security firm, has just taken out an ad in Recoil magazine simply saying "We Are Coming"

Fox News is now pushing for privatising the war in Syria

Mattis was opposed to privatising war. Oh, and Prince is implicated in the Russia scandal. Betsy DeVos is is sister.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 23rd December 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:51 PM   #204
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Oh, good god.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:54 PM   #205
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Oh, the cluelessness

Your concerns come a little bit late, folks.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:04 PM   #206
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just re-reading what I've written there, I got turned around on the first link. The way I've written it implies that Trump is pushing privatising the war to Afghan officials, whereas it's Prince that's doing so. That's what I meant, but clarity was lost when I re-phrased what I was typing in the middle of typing it.
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:50 PM   #207
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Are you not a native speaker?
He doesn't abide by the standard definitions of the English language, or any definitions he doesn't like.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:51 PM   #208
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, good god.
The corruption knows no bounds, continues, and grows under Trump.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:53 PM   #209
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The corruption knows no bounds, continues, and grows under Trump.
Like a fast spreading cancer.
Old 24th December 2018, 02:09 AM   #210
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/sta...16483529216000

Quote:
Spoke to a professor with deep connections into Kurdish leadership in Syria. I asked him about the mood there after Trump announcement, his answer sent chills:
Hurt, betrayed, and angry.
They'll all be dead soon...
Old 24th December 2018, 02:37 AM   #211
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, good god.
Yay, let's bring on mercenarys with no accountability! Guns for hire! Wohoo!

Last edited by Lambchops; 24th December 2018 at 02:38 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 02:44 AM   #212
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

Oh, Richard Engel, the guy who said he thought he was kidnapped by the "regime" only to find out that it were cuddly moderate rebels who bothered him. Great source, as always, Squeegee.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 02:56 AM   #213
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Oh, Richard Engel, the guy who said he thought he was kidnapped by the "regime" only to find out that it were cuddly moderate rebels who bothered him. Great source, as always, Squeegee.
Says the Putina. Ahahaha. Hilarious.
Old 24th December 2018, 03:25 AM   #214
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

“It should not be the job of America to replace regimes around the world. This is what President Trump recognized in Iraq, that it was the biggest foreign policy disaster of the last several decades, and he’s right...The generals still don’t get the mistake.” @RandPaul
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 05:33 AM   #215
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

President @RT_Erdogan of Turkey has very strongly informed me that he will eradicate whatever is left of ISIS in Syria....and he is a man who can do it plus, Turkey is right “next door.” Our troops are coming home!
Old 24th December 2018, 05:36 AM   #216
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Erdogan is going to eradicate the Kurds... ISIS...they're all the same to Trumpanzees.
Old 24th December 2018, 10:02 AM   #217
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Says the Putina. Ahahaha. Hilarious.
There is a word for that - PutinversteherWP.

I wonder what will happen to the deployments closer to Russia's "near abroad." We had a Stryker division roaming around Northeastern Poland for a while. NATO troops are in the Baltics in at least some small numbers. I believe that we have troops or at least air support for Georgia. If these deployments are jeopardized, it's potentially of bigger consequence to the Western powers than is the Mid-East, imho.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 10:35 AM   #218
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

You just have to read the transcript to know that this is not true.

To the others: You are not taking all available evidence into account, you rely on one side only. And again, I'm not "defending" or "apologizing". I'm shaking my head in disbelief about how well this constant propaganda still works in times when everybody can see through it if they want. And they should want if they consider themselves "skeptics".

Anyway, Putin has, contrary to the laughable thread title, almost nothing to do with the topic, to discuss which I am here. Get over your conditioning.
I have been to Russia and listened to them describe Putin in their own words. They know he is an utter bastard tin-pot warlord, but he is THEIR utter bastard tin-pot warlord. And smarter than Trump by several miles.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 11:03 AM   #219
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nvm
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 11:28 AM   #220
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
For the same reason a dog licks its balls.
Putin has trump to lick his balls
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 11:49 AM   #221
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

For the same reason a dog licks its balls.
To take away the taste of it's food?
Old 24th December 2018, 12:01 PM   #222
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Because it can. Jeeze, doesn't anybody know the classic jokes anymore?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 12:27 PM   #223
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Yes but I was thinking of this from Red Dwarf.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 24th December 2018, 04:00 PM   #224
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I already did that one.
Old 24th December 2018, 04:01 PM   #225
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Because it can. Jeeze, doesn't anybody know the classic jokes anymore?
Yes. Then they intentionally pretend not to and instead reference something else, because that's even funnier.
Old 24th December 2018, 06:23 PM   #226
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Yes but I was thinking of this from Red Dwarf.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The Republican party ate the Trump dogfood because they thought they they had to, they're at the ball-licking stage right now.
Old 25th December 2018, 08:35 AM   #227
Toontown
Philosopher

Your offered link, coming on the heels of ridiculing us for "cluelessness", is suspicious.

Before snake oil can successfully be sold, one must first convince the marks that something is wrong with them that only your snake oil can cure.

The tactic works better if you look healthy.
Old 25th December 2018, 09:45 AM   #228
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
There is a word for that - PutinversteherWP.

I wonder what will happen to the deployments closer to Russia's "near abroad." We had a Stryker division roaming around Northeastern Poland for a while. NATO troops are in the Baltics in at least some small numbers. I believe that we have troops or at least air support for Georgia. If these deployments are jeopardized, it's potentially of bigger consequence to the Western powers than is the Mid-East, imho.
There are 2-3 multinational brigades in the Baltics. Enough for a NATO division.

Not enough to do more than die in place and force NATO's hand, but it's a statement of intent that the mutual defence clause is for real.
Old 25th December 2018, 09:50 AM   #229
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Don't underestimate what that division can do.
A fighting retreat by well trained and equipped troops over prepared ground is a very big equaliser.
Old 25th December 2018, 11:44 AM   #230
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Don't underestimate what that division can do.
A fighting retreat by well trained and equipped troops over prepared ground is a very big equaliser.
I don't underestimate what it can do. Couple of my lads are augmenting the artillery unit for the Cdn led brigade right now.
Old 25th December 2018, 11:47 AM   #231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
I don't underestimate what it can do. Couple of my lads are augmenting the artillery unit for the Cdn led brigade right now.
I have a nephew in the Baltics, he's a combat medic.
Old 25th December 2018, 12:17 PM   #232
Border Reiver
Philosopher

I have a nephew in the Baltics, he's a combat medic.
Here's to hoping that their most dangerous situation involves trying to pick up one of the locals.
Old 25th December 2018, 01:00 PM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Here's to hoping that their most dangerous situation involves trying to pick up one of the locals.
He's home for Christmas at the moment. He's at Windsor Castle in the new year.
Either they are expecting something gruesome or hew is on ceremonial.

To be honest he is an embarrasment.
Went off to be a 'Brown Job' and us, a family with a 'Jack' in the 'Andrew' for generations!
Old 25th December 2018, 02:35 PM   #234
Border Reiver
Philosopher

He's home for Christmas at the moment. He's at Windsor Castle in the new year.
Either they are expecting something gruesome or hew is on ceremonial.

To be honest he is an embarrasment.
Went off to be a 'Brown Job' and us, a family with a 'Jack' in the 'Andrew' for generations!
I'm sure the family will survive the move up in the world.
Old 26th December 2018, 09:29 AM   #235
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

M.K. Bhadrakumar with a solid commentary on the end of the Mad Dog:

Originally Posted by Indian Punchline
[...] Syria and Afghanistan are only illustrative examples of how the Pentagon has a corporate interest in fighting open-ended wars. In both cases, a military victory is no longer regarded as feasible, and it is the hidden geopolitical agenda that matters to the Pentagon. Equally, cascading tensions with Russia or the open-ended wars translate as bigger budgetary allocation for the Pentagon, which of course largely goes to fund the military-industrial complex. One can take a safe bet that it is a matter of time before Mattis himself gets re-employed in the corporate board of some big arms manufacturing enterprise. The passion with which he has been advocating Saudi Arabia’s cause in the downstream of the Jamal Khashoggi affair speaks volumes about the unholy nexus at work involving the sheikhs, the Pentagon and the arms vendors – and the US lawmakers.

This sort of nexus has spawned a powerful coalition of interest groups who are viscerally opposed to a “demilitarization” of the US foreign policies, which is at the core of Trump’s agenda. Their favorite candidate in the 2016 election was Hillary Clinton. Their focus today is on debilitating the Trump presidency in any whichever way they can and to work toward ensuring that Trump doesn’t win a second term.

In this holding operation, Mattis played a stellar role by systematically undermining the Trump agenda. Mattis is a skilled operator in the military bureaucracy and his departure leaves a void for the Swamp. But his exit is not going to be the end of the vicious struggle going on in American politics. The good part is that Trump seems to understand that it will be a downhill slope ahead of him unless he took a last-ditch stance and dug in now to assert his constitutional prerogative as the president to push his foreign policy agenda. The point is, that agenda also happens to be linked to Trump’s campaign platform for the 2020 election.

The Russians are pretty open that they don't believe Trump's orders will be followed and so far haven't seen any signs of it.
Old 28th December 2018, 03:11 AM   #236
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The YPG has invited the SAA to take over Manbij to protect it from Turkey, which they immediately did!
Old 29th December 2018, 05:09 AM   #237
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

From the latest by Elijah Magnier on Manbij and Trump's visit to Iraq:

Originally Posted by Elijah Magnier
[...] A few hours before Trump’s arrival, US Ambassador Douglas Silliman told Abdel Mahdi that Trump would receive him in the US part of the base. Trump refused to visit Baghdad for a quick reception; neither would he even cross over to the Iraqi side of Ayn al-Assad, for security reasons. Abdel Mahdi refused the US invitation, as did the Iraqi president and speaker. All three politicians have risen in public esteem for having refused the US invitation. [...]

The US president seems prepared to keep his promise to withdraw from Syria, at least in the case of Manbij. The US announced an “organised exit”, meaning withdrawal in coordination with Turkey so that Ankara’s forces could replace withdrawing US troops. Turkey has been preparing to enter Manbij and Tal Abiad by gathering thousands of forces and proxies standing at the borders of the Syrian province. Nevertheless, the deal reached on Thursday night between the Syrian government and the YPG Kurds gave the green light to the 1st and 5th divisions of the Syrian army to take back Manbij (still on the outskirt) and raise Russian and Syrian flags over the city. This development is blocking the road for Turkey and its proxies to move into the province. The decision was communicated to Turkey via Russia. [...]

There is no doubt that Iraq is a close ally of Iran and not a fanatic supporter of the US. The Iraqi parliament can exert pressure over the government of Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi to ask President Trump to pull out US troops before the end of his mandate in 2020. The US establishment and the “Axis of the Resistance” can both connive and plan, but the last word will belong to the people of Iraq and to those who reject US hegemony in the Middle East, those who can accept losses and nurse their wounds in hopes of a better future.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 29th December 2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 29th December 2018, 01:27 PM   #238
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

From the latest by Elijah Magnier on Manbij and Trump's visit to Iraq:
Quote:
...There is no doubt that Iraq is a close ally of Iran and not a fanatic supporter of the US. The Iraqi parliament can exert pressure over the government of Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi to ask President Trump to pull out US troops before the end of his mandate in 2020. The US establishment and the “Axis of the Resistance” can both connive and plan, but the last word will belong to the people of Iraq and to those who reject US hegemony in the Middle East, those who can accept losses and nurse their wounds in hopes of a better future.
They're what, now??

Also, you overestimate by several cubic fortnites how strategic Trump's thinking is. He can barely think beyond "What's for lunch?" When he visited that air base he had no idea where it was and barely walked more than a few metres inside a secure building and he read (poorly) from a prepared speech. He saw nothing, learned nothing, thought nothing. He could have been in Arizona for all the value the visit was worth.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 29th December 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 01:48 PM   #239
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Also, you overestimate by several cubic fortnites how strategic Trump's thinking is. He can barely think beyond "What's for lunch?" When he visited that air base he had no idea where it was and barely walked more than a few metres inside a secure building and he read (poorly) from a prepared speech. He saw nothing, learned nothing, thought nothing. He could have been in Arizona for all the value the visit was worth.

That's all in your head, Norman.

As to the Iraq-Iran alliance I doubt you can find a pundit worth mentioning of any political background who isn't aware of how that "winning hearts and minds" (by blowing them up) operation went. Iran has been the winner.
Old 29th December 2018, 02:02 PM   #240
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

That's all in your head, Norman.
There's certainly nothing strategic in Trump's head. He has "the best people" to do his thinking for him.

Quote:
As to the Iraq-Iran alliance I doubt you can find a pundit worth mentioning of any political background who isn't aware of how that "winning hearts and minds" (by blowing them up) operation went. Iran has been the winner.
Ah, so you agree. That whole "all Muslims think alike and agree" notion of an Iraq/Iran alliance is utter bull-****.

And I find no pundits are worth mentioning.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics