ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:33 AM   #161
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If I like both equally, what does that make me?
Well apparently according to this board a member of the 'Wishy-washy-middle-ground high horse tribe."

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #162
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
When you seek employment, there are things you may be required to reveal to your potential employer about your past (criminal record, for instance). I don't see why this couldn't apply for public employment.
Heck, if that's our basis, throw in an FBI background check and a drug test
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:13 PM   #163
Leftus
Muse

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, I haven't. If you can show me where I have asked you how much you earn, then I will apologise. Until then, I will still attempt to have you at least acknowledge the question I'm asking, not the one you think I'm asking.
Yeah, answering the questions asked of you. Perhaps you should do what you ask of others? You are still advocating the public disclosure of personal income information. Since I'm in the cohort that would be exposed, you are, in fact, demanding information from me I'd prefer not to share to the general public.

Quote:
Why is that you don't want others to know what you earn?
What happened to the "acceptance" of the statement that I don't think it's any of their business? I don't publicly share any information about me. If you are really curious, I'll let you know that Leftus is not my real name. Come to think of it, I don't think that 3point14 is your real name. You likely chose something that is not your legal name for a reason. Why don't you want people to know who you are? Odds are, those reasons boil down to the basic reason that it is none of my business who you are.

Quote:
I fully accept, as I have said many times, that you have no obligation whatsoever to tell me how much you earn. I really, really want to know why it's so emotive for you? What are your reasons for not wanting me or anyone else to know what you earn?
If you have fully accepted my reason, why do you feel entitled to any more justification than that?

Quote:
You clearly have reasons that you hold very dear, given your emotive response to the question you think I've asked, but I want to know why it's such an emotional subject for you? Why is it that you're so dead set against sharing salary? What is it that you think will happen if you do?
So much for "fully accepted" or do those words have different meanings than commonly understood definitions. Maybe the emotive responses you imply are more at your entitled request for further explaintion of something you state you've "fully accepted"

Why are you so dead set about getting my personal information? What do you think would happen if you got it? What social good do you think it would create?

Quote:
However, if someone asks for my sexual history, well, it's none of anyone's damn business and, not only that, but if I tell them they might think I'm a terrible slut/have no success with women, and this will affect their view of me, therefore I'd rather they did not know.
I fully accept that that is none of my business. But you could share the names, dates and outcomes of all of your sexual encounters? I may or may not have any justification for the request, but why aren't you sharing it?

Why is that you don't want others to know who you have kissed (or better)?

Better yet, let's have the government demand that information for you and then make it public. That would be so awesome.

Keep in mind, I've fully accepted that it's private info and none of my business, but why aren't you sharing it?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:42 PM   #164
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

People who are concerned with maintaining their privacy shouldn't run for the presidency of a global superpower. They should stick to careers of lower profile, like movie star or pop icon.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:50 PM   #165
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
People who are concerned with maintaining their privacy shouldn't run for the presidency of a global superpower. They should stick to careers of lower profile, like movie star or pop icon.
This is only true for electorates that broadly agree that their president shouldn't have some degree of the same privacy they themselves enjoy.

The US electorate currently seems to broadly disagree with that proposition. If you want it to take hold, you'll probably have to move beyond simply declaring it to be right, and try your hand at actually convincing people that it's right.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #166
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This is only true for electorates that broadly agree that their president shouldn't have some degree of the same privacy they themselves enjoy.

The US electorate currently seems to broadly disagree with that proposition. If you want it to take hold, you'll probably have to move beyond simply declaring it to be right, and try your hand at actually convincing people that it's right.
What makes you think Americans want the president to have privacy? We seem to consume a great deal of news reports about him. Are you claiming there is no demand for information on the president?
Old 9th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #167
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
-
I'm clearly speaking Greek. The question I'm writing isn't the one you're reading.

I give up.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:45 PM   #168
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
But you'll let people know what car you drive, where you go on holiday, where your house is and how many rooms it has. You'll tell the world about your holidays and events you attend, weddings you might have to pay for, all that stuff, but not actually the number at the bottom of your payslip.
Not everyone reveals those things so easily.

I just took a short holiday before going on a business trip, but told everyone that I was just going on the business trip, partly because I don't want them to know that I'm doing well enough to just take holidays any time I want.

In fact I somewhat deliberately don't display what wealth I have (I'm not rich, but I'm doing okay). One time a girl I was dating asked me how much I was making. I cut the number in half because I didn't want her to date me on that basis.

Other people have the opposite problem of trying to be accepted by superficial people and so will spend a disproportionate amount of their income on clothes, cars, etc. You might not approve of their doing so, but their ability to do so does help to level the playing field a little. At least more than if their actual income was public record.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics