ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:17 AM   #41
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
FTFY
It's good form to use hilighting, strikethrough, or other methods to make it more explicit what part of such a post you have "fixed".
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #42
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Do evangelicals really follow the bibles teaching in the first place, or do they just pick and choose phrases that support their pre-existing right wing agenda?
ALL CHRISTIANS that I know pick and choose from the bible. In my experience, only a tiny fraction have read more than 10 percent of the book.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:21 AM   #43
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
ALL CHRISTIANS that I know pick and choose from the bible. In my experience, only a tiny fraction have read more than 10 percent of the book.
My mother claims that she believes in every word of the bible literally, 100%.

She hasn't read it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:21 AM   #44
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
FTFY
Shame you didn't fix my typos.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:22 AM   #45
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
As is typical of the internet the title of this thread and the OP is a bit misleading. Its should read, "In a move condemned by prominent members of the Texas GOP to republics have moved to remove a local chair from his position because he's a muslim."
Both the thread title and OP are worded unambiguously and factually correct.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:27 AM   #46
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
My mother claims that she believes in every word of the bible literally, 100%.

She hasn't read it.
Pretty typical.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:33 AM   #47
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Agreed. It was not misleading at all.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:35 AM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

Pretty typical.
Yeah, reading the bible from cover to cover is the surest way to choose another source for your beliefs.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:42 PM   #49
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Every night these people go to bed dreaming about how wonderful life was in 1859.... and what they can do tomorrow to drag the country back there again.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Agreed. It was not misleading at all.
And in any case...

"In a move condemned by prominent members of the Texas GOP to republics have moved to remove a local chair from his position because he's a muslim"

... will not fit into the allotted space for a thread title - 85 characters maximum.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:00 PM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No. It's totally relevant. Frothing-at-the-mouth bigots want him removed from his position because in the Islamophobe's Playbook, being a Muslim means you support Sharia Law.

Think "Pauline Hansen With a Drawl" and you'll get an idea of the instigators. They have not just gone after this guy, but have a target list of other party officials they want to oust because of their religious beliefs and in one case because a guy is married to a Muslim.

There's no report on the vote, yet. The meeting is behind closed doors, papered over windows and armed security guards. Meeting was set for the evening - commencing about 90 minutes ago, 6:30 pm local time. They didn't say which year, but I assume like most loser Republicans that'd be Jan 10, 1860.
What parts of Sharia Law wouldn't they want?.....
Old 11th January 2019, 03:06 PM   #52
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm glad he won, but now I'm torn: would it be better for him to stay in that job, in hopes of being a force for re-normalizing the dysfunctional GOP, or would it be better for him to quite publicly resign in protest that such a blatantly racist event was ever allowed to happen by the GOP?
IMO, resigning in protest isn't a very effective strategy.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:08 PM   #53
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

“He identifies as a Muslim-American.”

What the hell is a Muslim-American?
Old 11th January 2019, 03:26 PM   #54
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
As is typical of the internet the title of this thread and the OP is a bit misleading. Its should read, "In a move condemned by prominent members of the Texas GOP to republics have moved to remove a local chair from his position because he's a muslim."
I had an editor who would not tolerate subordinate clauses in ledes, because you end up with sentences like this.

"In a move ... have moved to remove ... blah blah blah ... Muslim." By the end of the sentence, it takes some untangling to get to the fact that he was targeted because he was Muslim, but it didn't work.

Clarity suffers when"Muslim" is the last word of a 27-word-long sentence. But then, a lot of politicians want clarity to suffer.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:27 PM   #55
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Good question.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:21 PM   #56
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Good question.
He immigrated from Muslimania.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:12 PM   #57
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
He immigrated from Muslimania.
I thought it was Muslimistan.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:18 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
No. It's totally relevant. Frothing-at-the-mouth bigots want him removed from his position because in the Islamophobe's Playbook, being a Muslim means you support Sharia Law.
Just like being a Bible Basher means you support burning witches (Exodus 22:18, Deuteronomy 18:10, Galatians 5:19) and enslaving Mexican and Canadians (Leviticus 25:44-46)
Old 11th January 2019, 08:25 PM   #59
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I thought it was Muslimistan.
More specifically, Muslimabad.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:44 PM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, reading the bible from cover to cover is the surest way to choose another source for your beliefs.
It's EXACTLY how I became an atheist. After 5 years of Bible camp, I decided to read more than selected passages and the Gospels. By the time I got through the story of Jepthah I was done with it. And then when I read that the Gospels were anonymous written decades after the crucifixion, I was really done.

What I find amusing about this Muslim being voted to remain as precinct chair is those same Republicans would have voted to kick out someone who is an atheist like me.
Old 12th January 2019, 12:30 AM   #61
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

It's EXACTLY how I became an atheist. After 5 years of Bible camp, I decided to read more than selected passages and the Gospels. By the time I got through the story of Jepthah I was done with it. And then when I read that the Gospels were anonymous written decades after the crucifixion, I was really done.

What I find amusing about this Muslim being voted to remain as precinct chair is those same Republicans would have voted to kick out someone who is an atheist like me.
Because there's no such place as Atheistan. You can't fool them!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:35 AM   #62
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It would make more sense without the hyphen, especially if you reversed the words. A Muslim American, or an American Muslim. But of course, many Republicans don't think that's possible.
Old 12th January 2019, 02:19 PM   #63
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It would make more sense without the hyphen, especially if you reversed the words. A Muslim American, or an American Muslim. But of course, many Republicans don't think that's possible.
I've seen many folk describe themselves as a "Christian American", whilst I find that type of self identification strange it seems quite common.
Old 12th January 2019, 02:40 PM   #64
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There is so much to unpack in this quote from an article

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01...i-vote-muslim/

Quote:
“You already see it in the workplace where Muslims demand they’re able to wear their hijab and demand they get a prayer room,” she said. “When was the last time a Christian was allowed to have a separate place to say their prayers?"
First, Matthew 6:6

The reason they get space is because their prayers have specific times and actually require space to perform.

When was the last time a Christian asked for a separate space for prayers.

Also, so many businesses give Sunday off! That is accomodating prayer in the workplace. Does she just think it is a funny coincidence that businesses give the weekend off? Is she one of those people that think mt Rushmore is man made?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 03:53 PM   #65
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm glad he won, but now I'm torn: would it be better for him to stay in that job, in hopes of being a force for re-normalizing the dysfunctional GOP, or would it be better for him to quite publicly resign in protest that such a blatantly racist event was ever allowed to happen by the GOP?
I think he should do the highlighted - keep working and bitch up a storm. I doubt most people even know about this story.

The whole thing is very disturbing and laughingly frighteningly hypocritical.
Old 12th January 2019, 05:54 PM   #66
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The whole thing is very disturbing and laughingly frighteningly hypocritical.[/quote]

Texas has in their constitution that to hold office one must acknowledge that there is a supreme being. This is of course in direct conflict with the US Constitution that no religious test to hold office or public trust.

Article One, Clause Four.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Texas

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th January 2019 at 05:56 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 06:54 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The whole thing is very disturbing and laughingly frighteningly hypocritical.
Texas has in their constitution that to hold office one must acknowledge that there is a supreme being. This is of course in direct conflict with the US Constitution that no religious test to hold office or public trust.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Texas[/quote]

Yes, it most certainly does conflict with the Constitution. Madalyn Murray O'Hare challenged this provision 30 years ago:

Quote:
(Madalyn Murray O'Hare) and then-Attorney General Jim Mattox signed an agreement in federal court that contained this line:

The parties hereby agree that the last phrase, “... provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.” is void and of no further effect in that it is in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.

There are different opinions about how much the clause affects candidates’ applications for state office. Mattox agreed on behalf of the state not to enforce it, but it has never been removed from the Texas Constitution.
https://www.texastribune.org/2012/06...s-legislature/

Somehow, I don't find the following surprising:

Quote:
Randall “Buck” Wood, an Austin elections attorney, insists that such a law could never be enforced. “If it were, it would be declared unconstitutional. We’ve had so many statutes in the Texas Constitution declared unconstitutional, but they’re still there. As long as nobody’s being injured by these, nobody brings a lawsuit, and they just sit there.”

Though the provision may not have affected candidates in Texas, similar provisions have had an effect in Maryland and South Carolina. In 1961 and 1997, respectively, each state rejected an atheist candidate's application for office. Both applicants took their cases to the Supreme Court, which struck down the articles in the Maryland and South Carolina constitutions — but Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas have kept similar provisions on the books. In Arkansas, “no person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil department of this state nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.”
(same citation as above)

As an atheist and a liberal, I don't think I could ever live in a Southern state.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:26 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by BigFace42 View Post
Isn't it a valid question - will you uphold religious law over secular law in a secular nation?
Well as a republican he is supposed to be all for that, see how christian dominionism is very popular. They are just afraid that he will uphold the wrong religious laws.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:27 AM   #69
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The problem is, no one asks any elected Christian if they will uphold Biblical law over secular law in a secular nation.
Sure but they will proudly state it anyway, this of course is what wins elections.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 09:34 AM   #70
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ie not a real american like they clearly mean when the talk about real americans in campaign speeches. I mean we all know that no muslim could ever qualify at real american.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #71
Matthew Best
Philosopher

In the unlikely event that I ever hold office in Texas I will stipulate that the Supreme Being is David Bowie.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 10:25 AM   #72
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Ie not a real american like they clearly mean when the talk about real americans in campaign speeches. I mean we all know that no muslim could ever qualify at real american.

Hence the reason why they must be given a hyphenated name.... to distinguish "the unwanted peoples" from all the "real" americans.

Muslim-American
African-American
Mexican-American
etc etc

Racists are too stupid to realize that anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together can and do take notice of their prejudicial undertones and innuendos.

Notice how the judaists don't get the token hyphenation, Jewish-American, like the Muslims do? Or how about Christian-Americans? Taoist-Americans? Buddhist-Americans?

Obvious racism is obvious.

The term African-American has become so normalized over the decades in the US that it's become everyday regular language to all its citizens and not thought of as unusual at all.

I'm not aware of any African-British or African-Canadians or African-Australians. Odd that....
Old 14th January 2019, 10:37 AM   #73
Cavemonster
Philosopher

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Texas
Yes, it most certainly does conflict with the Constitution. Madalyn Murray O'Hare challenged this provision 30 years ago:

(same citation as above)

As an atheist and a liberal, I don't think I could ever live in a Southern state.[/quote]

I highly recommend the podcast/radio show "More Perfect" by the producers of Radiolab. They focus on Constitutional law and the Supreme Court.

There was a section in their episode about Lawrence vs. Texas that I found really enlightening.

Texas, like many states, had sodomy laws on the books for a long time which essentially made having gay sex illegal. They remained on the books without a Supreme Court challenge because they were almost never enforced, so there was never a good case to bring to higher courts.

So one might think "If these laws aren't really enforced, does it even matter that they exist?". And the answer is yes. They create an environment where being gay is a crime, and even if that doesn't land anyone in jail, it has a massive effect on the social environment and the political discourse.

Just like the modern GOP justifies treatment of undocumented immigrants because "They're criminals", once you cast someone as a criminal, you justify all sorts of mistreatment and exclusionary rhetoric. You deepen a culture of shame and denial. It goes on and on.

It deeply matters when laws are on the books even if they aren't technically enforced. They build the culture we live in.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 11:32 AM   #74
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post

(same citation as above)

As an atheist and a liberal, I don't think I could ever live in a Southern state.

I highly recommend the podcast/radio show "More Perfect" by the producers of Radiolab. They focus on Constitutional law and the Supreme Court.

There was a section in their episode about Lawrence vs. Texas that I found really enlightening.

Texas, like many states, had sodomy laws on the books for a long time which essentially made having gay sex illegal. They remained on the books without a Supreme Court challenge because they were almost never enforced, so there was never a good case to bring to higher courts.

So one might think "If these laws aren't really enforced, does it even matter that they exist?". And the answer is yes. They create an environment where being gay is a crime, and even if that doesn't land anyone in jail, it has a massive effect on the social environment and the political discourse.
Of course many of those laws are still on the books. They are just illegal to enforce.
Old 14th January 2019, 12:10 PM   #75
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course many of those laws are still on the books. They are just illegal to enforce.
I owned a house that had deed restrictions that were massively racists and misogynist. Reading through them the night before closing was a huge reminder of how far we had come in a relatively short period of time.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 02:29 PM   #76
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Hence the reason why they must be given a hyphenated name.... to distinguish "the unwanted peoples" from all the "real" americans.

Muslim-American
African-American
Mexican-American
etc etc

Racists are too stupid to realize that anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together can and do take notice of their prejudicial undertones and innuendos.

Notice how the judaists don't get the token hyphenation, Jewish-American, like the Muslims do? Or how about Christian-Americans? Taoist-Americans? Buddhist-Americans?

Obvious racism is obvious.

The term African-American has become so normalized over the decades in the US that it's become everyday regular language to all its citizens and not thought of as unusual at all.

I'm not aware of any African-British or African-Canadians or African-Australians. Odd that....
While not at all disagreeing with what you are saying here, it does not help when reasonably high profile people like Ali Velshi (MSNBC) and Tahera Rahman (WBHF-TV) refer to themselves "Muslim American"
Old 14th January 2019, 02:40 PM   #77
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If that wasn't a direct violation of the US Constitution, it would still not of itself rule out a Muslim from holding office.

Muslims believe in the same Abrahamic God that Christians and Jews believe in.

It also would not rule out Freemasons or Rosicrucians, both of whom believe in a supreme being.... The Great Architect of the Universe.
Old 14th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #78
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I owned a house that had deed restrictions that were massively racists and misogynist. Reading through them the night before closing was a huge reminder of how far we had come in a relatively short period of time.

My slave quarters have to be a certain minimum size if I ever build them at all.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2019, 03:26 PM   #79
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
While not at all disagreeing with what you are saying here, it does not help when reasonably high profile people like Ali Velshi (MSNBC) and Tahera Rahman (WBHF-TV) refer to themselves "Muslim American"

Yes, because as I said, these hyphenated term(s) have become such a normal part of american speech, everybody uses it.

Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans, etc etc. Self-distinguished tribalism? Or did the labels start out with (white christian) americans using those terms to separate themselves from the 'unghastly low-class immigrants' arriving by boat every day?

Do you know anyone who refers to themself as a Muslim-New Zealander?

It seems to be a uniquely american thing from what I've observed.

Passive racism. It's just passively soft enough to fly over most peoples' heads when it first gets introduced... but it accomplishes the end goal of keeping certain demographics 'distinguishable' and 'separate' from the rest.
Old 14th January 2019, 03:40 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Most of those are illegal and unenforceable these days. There are neighborhoods in Seattle that even have them. Usually they were written long ago and are still in the covenants.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics