ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th September 2018, 06:14 PM   #361
Tero
Graduate Poster

I didn’t get nothing. Did you?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:37 PM   #362
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Still not yet apparently
Old 6th October 2018, 06:31 PM   #363
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Three years have passed and Rah Rah Trumpô is still going strong.

I'm starting to think it's not Trump that's the problem afterall...

*cough*
Ignorance can be fixed; stupidity is incurable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 04:30 AM   #364
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Well in the current Cavanaugh thread someone just predicted we just now passed Peak Trump, I'm sure this time it'll be correct.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:45 AM   #365
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Doesn't he look tired?
Old 8th October 2018, 04:38 PM   #366
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Well in the current Cavanaugh thread someone just predicted we just now passed Peak Trump, I'm sure this time it'll be correct.
No, not yet.

Not even near the peak
Old 13th October 2018, 06:03 AM   #367
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Maybe in 2020?
Old 13th October 2018, 08:58 PM   #368
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Trump is a classic "never going to happen" candidate, albeit with a little more name recognition than Herman Cain, who was leading in the polls at a similar point in 2011. Fiorina is another.
In case I ever get a swelled head about my predictions in politics, please feel free to bring this up.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2018, 09:07 PM   #369
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Three years have passed and Rah Rah Trumpô is still going strong.

I'm starting to think it's not Trump that's the problem afterall...

*cough*
I agree with Barack Obama, who said recently that Trump was not a cause of the problem, but a symptom.

Until the cause is removed, the symptom will persist.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 12:47 PM   #370
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Any year now.
Old 15th October 2018, 08:28 PM   #371
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Any year now.

Six years from now.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2018, 08:45 AM   #372
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We have passed peak Trump.
But unfortunately, the required peak for re-election might be very small if the Democratic vote gets spoiled by a 3rd party candidate.
Old 17th October 2018, 06:19 AM   #373
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I didn't read the whole thread, but here is what I think will kill the Trump phenomenon:

The Fed raising interest rates.

This will set off the next bear market and will start a stock market decline that might be more severe than 2008.

Trump has publicly claimed again and again that the current economic climate is his doing and he has tied his reputation to it.

If this decline happens before the next election, we'll be rid of Trump. If the stock market success carries beyond that date, I have some bad news for you; a second term.

Of course, he could get the US into a war, but I've been happily surprised that he seems to stick to his isolationist leanings.

But my bet is that the economy will do him in.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 17th October 2018 at 06:25 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 06:22 AM   #374
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump supporters will always praise him for a good economy and blame Democrats for a bad one.
Old 17th October 2018, 06:23 AM   #375
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

nitpick: "bear" not "bull".

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 06:25 AM   #376
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
nitpick: "bear" not "bull".
oops. Thanks, I'll correct that.
Old 17th October 2018, 06:27 AM   #377
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump supporters will always praise him for a good economy and blame Democrats for a bad one.
Which is stupid. The "Economy" is a mixture of countless factors many going back decades very few of which the President has some sort of 1:1 direct control over and near none he has some sort of ability to make quick chance with. At best a President can make changes that might improve/lower the chances of the economy improving or declining at some in the mid to far future.

The President does not sit with a real time Economy Up/Down dial on his desk.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2018, 06:29 AM   #378
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

He'll blame the Fed. A large portion of right-wing nuts thinks the Fed is a conspiracy anyway (something, something Rothschilds).

But the number of people who bought gold via Alex Jones' website is not big enough to save Trump when the market takes a 40% nosedive.
Old 17th October 2018, 06:33 AM   #379
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Fed is a Ponzi Scheme -
and Trump is upset that he doesn't get his cut.
Old 17th October 2018, 02:29 PM   #380
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Trump has publicly claimed again and again that the current economic climate is his doing and he has tied his reputation to it.

If this decline happens before the next election, we'll be rid of Trump. If the stock market success carries beyond that date, I have some bad news for you; a second term.

"Bad news?"

Stock market success and Trump's re-election is bad news? Only if you are opposed to jobs and prosperity.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2018, 01:10 AM   #381
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
"Bad news?"

Stock market success and Trump's re-election is bad news? Only if you are opposed to jobs and prosperity.
'Bad news' for the majority of the people on this forum.

I'd love a perpetually strong economy and lots of jobs. But the reality is that we live in a world with a boom-bust cycle with a roughly 10-year interval. The question is if the next bust starts before or after the next election.
Old 18th October 2018, 01:11 AM   #382
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

The Fed is a Ponzi Scheme -
and Trump is upset that he doesn't get his cut.
Anyone who wants a cut from the Fed can buy shares in JP Morgan-Chase. They are the biggest stockholder in the Fed and receive a dividend.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:28 AM   #383
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Tick tock
Old 19th October 2018, 11:36 AM   #384
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Tick tock
Ha ha! Ha ha. Honestly, time well spent! Totally made a salient point there. Those who think that Trump is a stain on the presidency will rethink their position now, I tell you what.

You are indeed a master debater, give or take a syllable.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 11:43 AM   #385
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Ha ha! Ha ha. Honestly, time well spent! Totally made a salient point there. Those who think that Trump is a stain on the presidency will rethink their position now, I tell you what.

Don't take away a syllable. His posts are irreducibly complex.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 11:58 AM   #386
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Or... he trolled you with a two word post.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 12:05 PM   #387
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Or... he trolled you with a two word post.
Could be. Or it could be that I recognized his usual trolling tactic and, having grown tired of it, thought that a response pointing out his shallow strategy was worth it.

I mean, you could go either way. You might think he won. You might think that I had good reason to bitch about his tedious idiocy and chose to do so.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 12:11 PM   #388
zorro99
Muse

Trump supports physically attacking the press:f
Old 19th October 2018, 12:21 PM   #389
Imhotep
Graduate Poster

Could be. Or it could be that I recognized his usual trolling tactic and, having grown tired of it, thought that a response pointing out his shallow strategy was worth it.

I mean, you could go either way. You might think he won. You might think that I had good reason to bitch about his tedious idiocy and chose to do so.
I don't think those are mutually exclusive, and I gladly accept your explanation for why you felt the need to respond.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2018, 12:27 PM   #390
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

We have passed peak Trump.
But unfortunately, the required peak for re-election might be very small if the Democratic vote gets spoiled by a 3rd party candidate.
Nice job of covering all your bases.
Old 19th October 2018, 12:29 PM   #391
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Nice job of covering all your bases.
thank you!
Old 19th October 2018, 04:40 PM   #392
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
the reality is that we live in a world with a boom-bust cycle with a roughly 10-year interval. The question is if the next bust starts before or after the next election.
Hopefully after. Trump isn't done wreaking conservatives' reputations yet. A second term will make the downturn worse, and make it harder for Republicans to pin it on Democrats (they will still try of course...).
Old 19th October 2018, 09:05 PM   #393
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I passed a peak Trump this morning.

It was quite the logger.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:35 AM   #394
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 29th October 2018, 06:09 PM   #395
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Hopefully after. Trump isn't done wreaking conservatives' reputations yet. A second term will make the downturn worse, and make it harder for Republicans to pin it on Democrats (they will still try of course...).
What "downturn"? The one you hope is coming or what?
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2018, 09:00 PM   #396
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
The one all economists say is coming.
Just a normal boom and bust cycle model, as it has applied for decades, would predict a downturn ten years after the last one - which was 2008.
The Fed has to raise interest rates, which is the normal signal that the economy isn't growing organically anymore.
Old 29th October 2018, 09:22 PM   #397
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

"I'm hoping for a crashing economy so we can get rid of Trump. Bring on the recession. Sorry if it hurts people, but rooting for a recession is a prevention measure to losing democracy."

-- Bill Maher (June 9, 2018)

The Left: An Unhinged Mob
Old 30th October 2018, 01:25 AM   #398
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

This fantastic little film by Ray Dalio explains the boom-bust cycle (or credit cycle if you will),

Its 30 minutes, but it's worth the time.

How the economic machine works
Old 13th November 2018, 12:10 PM   #399
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 17th November 2018, 08:52 AM   #400
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

As of November 6, we have passed peak Trumpism, at least: 54 of the 75 GOP candidates that Trump endorsed lost, and losing the House means the MAGA legislative agenda is dead. Anyone still imagining that Trump can win in 2020 and the GOP can hold the Senate must also be imagining some unexpected change in the current vector. You can hope for that, but two things should be clear by now: Trump just can't stop Trumping, and his base is as large as it will ever be.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics