ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th April 2016, 02:31 AM   #41
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Colour me unconvinced when that has, as the first example:
Indeed, and I don't think this geezer is old however goode he is.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 09:53 AM   #42
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

RBG fell and broke ribs. She's in the hospital.

I will gladly donate money for people to carry her around anywhere she needs to go on a giant, plush cushion for the next two years.
Old 8th November 2018, 09:59 AM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As a-politically as I can.

I know and understand why we want Justices to be extremely learned and experienced legal experts which pretty much inherently is going to take a lot of time but I do wonder sometimes if we as a society are being fair and reasonable in keeping people in high stress, even if not high physical stress, jobs way, way past the point a normal person would be expected or even required to retire from a normal job.

That all being said I wish RGB the speediest of recoveries because losing her, either from the SCOTUS or this planet, is very close to literally the last thing we need right now.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:01 AM   #44
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Colour me unconvinced when that has, as the first example:
Picking up on an ancient bit of confusion here... I'm embarrassed on your behalf for being so stubbornly clueless and impermeable to facts. Dictionary definitions that I linked upthread:

a queer, odd, or eccentric person —used especially of elderly men

Or better yet...

An old man

Last edited by varwoche; 8th November 2018 at 10:07 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 10:10 AM   #45
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
RBG fell and broke ribs. She's in the hospital.

I will gladly donate money for people to carry her around anywhere she needs to go on a giant, plush cushion for the next two years.
Could we have her frozen in carbonite for the next 2 years? Keeps her alive (and her spot on the supreme court occupied) even if she can't rule on anything.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 08:52 AM   #46
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Starting after 2020 election, it's possible we'll stop getting new SCOTUS members for a while. If Trump wins but Dems take Senate, I hope they stand firm and insist they will approve one and only one person: Garland. If Dems win POTUS and GOP wins Senate, I suspect they would approve nobody. Getting new SCOTUS members in the foreseeable future depends on POTUS & Senate same party.

If Dem wins POTUS and Senate, I have but one preference for that nominee: that s/he still be in diapers, though not the kind used by incontinent seniors.

In other words zooterkin ... no more frikkin geezers!
Old 21st December 2018, 12:21 PM   #47
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

RBG is undergoing surgery for lung cancer. OMFG.
Old 21st December 2018, 12:26 PM   #48
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
RBG is undergoing surgery for lung cancer. OMFG.
I'm not too worried. Kavanaugh strikes me as far more likely to interpret the constitution accurately than Ginsburg ever could.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:34 PM   #49
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

She voted to block Trump on asylum from the hospital. Hang on RBG! <cue the Four Seasons>
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:48 PM   #50
Toontown
Philosopher

I'm on POTUS death watch. I don't think he's going to make it to 2020. He's going to back himself so far up into the corner that the stress will get to him. Then he's going to scarf down one too many boxes of Mac fries and seize up like an overheated engine.
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:53 PM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

On the ray of hope side, she broke ribs, the cancer was found incidental to the accident. That often means it was found very early compared to most lung cancers found later when they become symptomatic.

Don't count her out just yet.
Old 22nd December 2018, 02:20 PM   #52
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

If she dies the week before the inauguration of a Dem POTUS in Jan 2021, I'm pretty sure Mitch will ram a new nominee through. She needs to hold on to the bitter end of the Trump term.
Old 22nd December 2018, 02:23 PM   #53
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As a-politically as I can.

I know and understand why we want Justices to be extremely learned and experienced legal experts which pretty much inherently is going to take a lot of time but I do wonder sometimes if we as a society are being fair and reasonable in keeping people in high stress, even if not high physical stress, jobs way, way past the point a normal person would be expected or even required to retire from a normal job.

That all being said I wish RGB the speediest of recoveries because losing her, either from the SCOTUS or this planet, is very close to literally the last thing we need right now.
It's not that high of stress. Clerks do most of the work.
Old 22nd December 2018, 02:53 PM   #54
Cain
Straussian

I hope and pray the cancer will make a full and speedy recovery.
Old 22nd December 2018, 04:16 PM   #55
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
On the ray of hope side, she broke ribs, the cancer was found incidental to the accident. That often means it was found very early compared to most lung cancers found later when they become symptomatic.

Don't count her out just yet.
According to reports the cancer was caught very early and there is no need for even chemo or radiation. The surrounding tissue must have been clear.

I think RBG has no plans to retire before the 2020 elections for obvious reasons. She understands full well the consequences of 3 Trump appointed judges.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:44 PM   #56
jnelso99
Muse

We need to hurry up and develop Futurama “head-in-a-jar” technology for people like RBG.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:53 PM   #57
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
I'm on POTUS death watch. I don't think he's going to make it to 2020. He's going to back himself so far up into the corner that the stress will get to him. Then he's going to scarf down one too many boxes of Mac fries and seize up like an overheated engine.
And you think Pence will have better nominees than Trump?
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:28 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And you think Pence will have better nominees than Trump?
He'd likely nominate someone who wants the country run by Biblical law.
Stone that adulteress to death!!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:20 PM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
We need to hurry up and develop Futurama “head-in-a-jar” technology for people like RBG.
Why bother? The only reason to keep RBG around is so that she'll rule the way you think cases should be ruled.

Easier to just make you a Justice. Since you already know how cases should be ruled.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 02:50 AM   #60
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why bother? The only reason to keep RBG around is so that she'll rule the way you think cases should be ruled.

Easier to just make you a Justice. Since you already know how cases should be ruled.
Right out of the Karl Rove Playbook. Accuse others of that which is your most glaring flaw. We have a supposedly "principled" political hack like McConnell who would have (and did) done anything to prevent a proper and timely nomination going through just so you (yes, you) could have a justice more sympatico to your wishes. You argued on these very boards that Trump wouldn't do that much damage, but hey, at least we get some conservative judges, eh! You might just as well make you a justice since you know even better how cases should be adjudicated.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2018, 04:41 AM   #61
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

On top of Fmw's spot-on comment, what in Odin's name is wrong with wanting a Justice to remain on the court who rules the way one thinks that cases should be ruled? Let's see how it would look stated opposite:
I really hope X remains on the bench! S/he rules cases in a way I think is wrong.
And then there's this bit of infantility.

I get the distinct sense you didn't think this through at all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics