ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:32 AM   #161
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What sort of real expertise have they actually demonstrated? These are the architects of the Iraq war, Libya destabilization, "oops" creation of ISIS via a proxy war in Syria, etc, right?
Oh it probably includes them, but also includes those who have objected to all of the actions you cite, so that is a meaningless metric.

It also includes most anyone who has planned a sucessful camping weekend. There are so many elements of the specifics here that are just stupid that it doesn't matter if you want troops out, that simply is not the question.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:00 PM   #162
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

US envoy Brett McGurk quits over Trump Syria pullout

Quote:
A top US official in the fight against the Islamic State group has quit over President Trump's decision to pull troops from Syria, reports say.

Brett McGurk, the US special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat IS, brought his departure forward from February.

Before Mr Trump's announcement he had insisted that the US would continue working against IS in Syria.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46661384
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 01:52 PM   #163
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
There's nothing to apologize for. The German propagandists have invented the term "Putinversteher" ("understander of Putin") as a smear, as if understanding something was bad, I certainly would wear that with pride.
Since you understand him so well, perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to why he has stolen $200 billion from Mother Russia.
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:43 PM   #164
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Since you understand him so well, perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to why he has stolen $200 billion from Mother Russia.
For the same reason a dog licks its balls.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:16 PM   #165
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
To take away the taste of the dog food?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:30 PM   #166
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's the same reason other criminals commit crimes - because they can.
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:35 PM   #167
Toontown
Philosopher

That was from an event he does once a year answering questions from everybody who wants to ask. It goes several hours. Try to imagine Trump doing such a thing. Or Saint Obama without his two teleprompters. Or a "gangster".
I can easily imagine a criminal answering questions for a few hours a year if it insures him the opportunity to continue to steal hundreds of billions $$$ from Mother Russia.

All the oligarchs lust to rob poor Mother Russia. Apparently, it is easy to get away with. Like mugging an old lady.

Last edited by Toontown; 22nd December 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:27 PM   #168
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

That was from an event he does once a year answering questions from everybody who wants to ask people carefully chosen to ask fake questions which Putin knows the answers to beforehand.
These "questions" are written carefully so he can appear to be "honest and open" with his answers and give the appearance of being just a normal sorta guy, shucks. Putin is a pretty skilled purveyor of this sort of propaganda, I'll give him that.

BTW, Russia Today (RT) does this too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 22nd December 2018 at 11:28 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:51 AM   #169
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The military has engineers, and the workers would become experienced soon enough.

It's a better idea than them just sitting around in Spain and Germany.
Most USA military in other countries are there for one reason and one reason alone, part of the USA's military strategy, they serve the USA's interests not the host country's. Sometimes the host country also gets a benefit from the USA presence but that is always secondary to the USA's goals.
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:52 AM   #170
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think Russia apologist is fine. China white is a form of heroin; it's not called Chinese white.

I don't know if consider yourself a Russia apologist or a Putin apologist. But at least Putin - who I consider a gangster - isn't systematically working to dismantle his own country's strategic influence in global affairs. Even if I agreed with pulling troops out of Syria and Afghanistan, the way Trump is doing it is a slap in the face to his own handpicked security advisers and sends a message not lost on U.S. rivals.
It also redefines allies as rivals.
Old 23rd December 2018, 02:05 AM   #171
Lambchops
Muse

"Crime is not crime when it's done by Repub politicians".

So say the small gubmint folks.
Old 23rd December 2018, 02:58 AM   #172
Parsman
Muse

Childlike Empress - I agree that we should be more sceptical about western politicians. Heck I studied politics for 4 years at university and my biggest takeaway was don't trust any of them! But then , why do you not extend the same scepticism to Putin? From all available evidence he is not an honest actor. He uses threats, intimidation, even murder to promote his agenda. Why do you continue to defend him when he is on the same ladder of bad actions and corruption of the western politicians you so readily attack?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:18 AM   #173
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Brett McGurk, who I do not know, was appointed by President Obama in 2015. Was supposed to leave in February but he just resigned prior to leaving.
Grandstander?
The Fake News is making such a big deal about this nothing event!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 03:19 AM   #174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is admitting that he doesn’t know the special US envoy to the coalition in the was against ISIS. Let that sink in and consider this every time he pretends to know what’s going on in the war against ISIS.

Erdogan Called on Trump to Fire Special Envoy Brett McGurk in May 2017... I guess Trump knew who he was after all...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-anti-is-envoy

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 23rd December 2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 23rd December 2018, 05:21 AM   #175
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Why do you continue to defend him when he is on the same ladder of bad actions and corruption of the western politicians you so readily attack?
You really have to ask?

And as bad as Western politicians mostly are, I have hard time believing in them rather routinely assasinating domestic journalists or stealing billions of dollars from their own population. Millions in many cases, certainly, but everything some of them do, Putin does thousand times more and then some. There is no rational doubt about that.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:07 AM   #176
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
These "questions" are written carefully so he can appear to be "honest and open" with his answers and give the appearance of being just a normal sorta guy, shucks. Putin is a pretty skilled purveyor of this sort of propaganda, I'll give him that.

BTW, Russia Today (RT) does this too.

You just have to read the transcript to know that this is not true.

To the others: You are not taking all available evidence into account, you rely on one side only. And again, I'm not "defending" or "apologizing". I'm shaking my head in disbelief about how well this constant propaganda still works in times when everybody can see through it if they want. And they should want if they consider themselves "skeptics".

Anyway, Putin has, contrary to the laughable thread title, almost nothing to do with the topic, to discuss which I am here. Get over your conditioning.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:10 AM   #177
Toontown
Philosopher

You just have to read the transcript to know that this is not true.

To the others: You are not taking all available evidence into account, you rely on one side only. And again, I'm not "defending" or "apologizing". I'm shaking my head in disbelief about how well this constant propaganda still works in times when everybody can see through it if they want. And they should want if they consider themselves "skeptics".

Anyway, Putin has, contrary to the laughable thread title, almost nothing to do with the topic, to discuss which I am here. Get over your conditioning.
This is projection on steroids.

IF we take your advice, old Vlad the poisoner will be all up in our heads.

Last edited by Toontown; 23rd December 2018 at 06:11 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:44 AM   #178
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The latest by excellent and well-connected analyst Elijah Magnier makes it seem like all is going in the right direction generally.

Originally Posted by Elijah Magnier
Following President Trump’s decision to withdraw US forces from occupied northeast Syria, the Kurds of al-Hasaka have for the last two days been negotiating with the government of Damascus on how to spare the province from a possible Turkish invasion. Syrian General Ali Mamlouk, the Syrian president’s special security advisor, says that “he is talking with the Kurdish delegation to find a way for the Syrian army to deploy its forces along the borders with Turkey and, in consequence, stop a possible Turkish invasion of Northeast Syria”, confirmed a decision-maker source in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

According to the Source, at the start of the negotiation the Kurdish delegation repeated their familiar mantra—asking for the Syrian Arab Army to protect Syrian borders from the Turks, while allowing the Kurdish YPG to maintain their separate military organization inside the province of al-Hasaka. Damascus rejected this proposal and instead proposed a special status for the Kurdish administration within Syria, opening the road for members of the YPG to join the Syrian Army in a special Kurdish and Arab contingent. [...]
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:48 AM   #179
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It feels wrong saying trump's "decision." He has shown extremely limited capability to shepherd something extremely complicated to completion. He may be inlucl given the amount of decision making that can be done at the pentagon (as opposed to pushing through legislation which often requires the president to convince people). But I'm not getting excited until it starts.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:19 AM   #181
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The reason it is treated differently is track record. To paraphrase a joke I heard recently, there is a big difference between your mom telling you she fed your baby while you were out and Gary busey saying he fed your baby.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 07:53 AM   #182
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The reason it is treated differently is track record. To paraphrase a joke I heard recently, there is a big difference between your mom telling you she fed your baby while you were out and Gary busey saying he fed your baby.
An even more compelling reason is that the secretary of defense and the envoy in charge of the destruction of ISIS have both resigned in protest. Both have provided compelling reasons why they cannot go along with it.
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:02 AM   #183
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

An even more compelling reason is that the secretary of defense and the envoy in charge of the destruction of ISIS have both resigned in protest. Both have provided compelling reasons why they cannot go along with it.
I do not find them compelling.
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:12 AM   #184
Arcade22
Illuminator

I thought Obama got a lot of flak when he pulled out of Iraq even-though he had no choice because the Iraqi's wouldn't allow them to stay unless they were subject to Iraq's legal system (which was completely unacceptable to the US). Basically everyone with a clue wanted there to be a residual force on the ground.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:25 AM   #185
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It feels wrong saying trump's "decision." He has shown extremely limited capability to shepherd something extremely complicated to completion. He may be inlucl given the amount of decision making that can be done at the pentagon (as opposed to pushing through legislation which often requires the president to convince people). But I'm not getting excited until it starts.
This post, and another one a couple of weeks back where you suggested Trump shouldn't be subject to some law or another because he's mentally handicapped, takes the Bob cake. And that's saying something!

What do you mean by "it"? What do you mean by "feels"? What do you mean by "wrong"? (These are rhetorical questions. Rhetorical questions don't require a response. A non-response would be appreciated actually.)
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:29 AM   #186
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This post, and another one a couple of weeks back where you suggested Trump shouldn't be subject to some law or another because he's mentally handicapped, takes the Bob cake. And that's saying something!

What do you mean by "it"? What do you mean by "feels"? What do you mean by "wrong"? (These are rhetorical questions. Rhetorical questions don't require a response. A non-response would be appreciated actually.)
Why does it take the cake?
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:30 AM   #187
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Most USA military in other countries are there for one reason and one reason alone, part of the USA's military strategy, they serve the USA's interests not the host country's. Sometimes the host country also gets a benefit from the USA presence but that is always secondary to the USA's goals.
It seems to me like the biggest part of the strategy is simply "busywork" - something for the troops to do while we wait for the next ground war/invasion, and it gives the soldiers a break from being in the dangerous places like Afghanistan.
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:48 AM   #188
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Why does it take the cake?
Why would you ask that? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:51 AM   #189
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Why would you ask that? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Because I don't understand the phrase.
Old 23rd December 2018, 08:59 AM   #190
Toontown
Philosopher

I do not find them compelling.
Well then. That's all that matters.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:18 AM   #191
Minoosh
Philosopher

A "gangster". LOL. I quoted him with the snippet on the topic thrown around by the pre$$titutes, adding the whole quote. That was from an event he does once a year answering questions from everybody who wants to ask. It goes several hours. Try to imagine Trump doing such a thing. Or Saint Obama without his two teleprompters. Or a "gangster". Now, if you have the time you can read or skim the transcript at the Kremlin site and try to understand the nature of his more or less spontaneous, free talk answers. Maybe it helps.
I see no reason why being an intelligent plunderer of public resources would be inconsistent with an ability to talk at length and seemingly candidly. I'm not insulting his intelligence or speaking ability. My basic assumption is that he's pretty rich for a career public servant. I don't have any way to independently confirm that he's a billionaire, though.

"Apologist" doesn't necessarily denote a smear. Maybe it has come to mean that, on this board or elsewhere, but in English it hasn't traditionally meant apologizing for anything.

I consider Angela Merkel pretty smart. She can do business with Putin while still understanding Russia's desire to remain/become a world power in the post-Soviet world. She may well trust Putin more than Trump at this point, because Putin, for better or worse, is probably a rational actor and competent businessman. Trump meanwhile is a loose cannon who runs enterprises into the ground.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:25 AM   #192
llwyd
Critical Thinker

Because I don't understand the phrase.
Are you not a native speaker?
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:26 AM   #193
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Are you not a native speaker?
None of your business.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:30 AM   #194
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

"Apologist" doesn't necessarily denote a smear. Maybe it has come to mean that, on this board or elsewhere, but in English it hasn't traditionally meant apologizing for anything.
The only context I've ever heard it not be a smear in is in referring to religious apologetics.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:55 AM   #195
Minoosh
Philosopher

The only context I've ever heard it not be a smear in is in referring to religious apologetics.
That's really the prime example I was thinking of. Dictionary definitions don't put the smear connotations for first usage.

ETA: "Denote" vs. "connote," if that still means anything.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:11 AM   #196
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Another little timely hint to the clueless:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:16 AM   #197
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I just had a long and productive call with President @RT_Erdogan of Turkey. We discussed ISIS, our mutual involvement in Syria, & the slow & highly coordinated pullout of U.S. troops from the area. After many years they are coming home. We also discussed heavily expanded Trade.
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:22 AM   #198
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I just had a long and productive call with President @RT_Erdogan of Turkey. We discussed ISIS, our mutual involvement in Syria, & the slow & highly coordinated pullout of U.S. troops from the area. After many years they are coming home. We also discussed heavily expanded Trade.
"Highly coordinated" with what, Trump's alimentary canal?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 10:23 AM   #199
llwyd
Critical Thinker

None of your business.
Well, I googled it for you: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/.../take-the-cake
Old 23rd December 2018, 11:00 AM   #200
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Then I'm confused because I said trump is bad at his job. That is generally non offensive.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics