ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st December 2018, 11:53 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

New Laws for 2019

A quick list of some of the Federal and State laws going into affect at midnight tonight, some of which might be interesting to talk about but not need their own threads.

1. 19 states are raising their minimum wage.
2. California makes it illegal for pet stores to sell cats, dogs, or rabbits that didn't come from animal shelters.
3. Public Corporations based in California will have to have at least one woman on their board of directors.
4. Hunters in Illinois will be allowed to wear bright pink, in addition to the traditional safety orange and high visibility yellow, to meet "visibility" requirements while hunting.
5. Massachusetts raises the smoking age from 18 to 21.
6. Actively nursing is now a viable "at request" exemption from Jury Duty in Illinois.
7. In New York State pharmaceutical companies are to be required to provide return methods to unused opioids to customers.
8. And in Illinois government employees fired for misconduct will no longer receive severance pay.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/30/us/ne...rnd/index.html

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. 19 states are raising their minimum wage.
Some GOP legislators won't like that.
Quote:
2. California makes it illegal for pet stores to sell cats, dogs, or rabbits that didn't come from animal shelters.
Any reason why? Sounds like they are simultaneously helping shelters while trying to kill off puppy farms. Both are good goals.
Quote:
3. Public Corporations based in California will have to have at least one woman on their board of directors.
Not sure that legislating common sense always works. Look for huge amounts of tokenism from now on in some corporations.
Quote:
4. Hunters in Illinois will be allowed to wear bright pink, in addition to the traditional safety orange and high visibility yellow, to meet "visibility" requirements while hunting.
Stylish!
Quote:
5. Massachusetts raises the smoking age from 18 to 21.
Or is that the age when you can legally buy tobacco products?
Quote:
6. Actively nursing is now a viable "at request" exemption from Jury Duty in Illinois.
Because nobody wants to see mums nursing while on jury duty!
Quote:
7. In New York State pharmaceutical companies are to be required to provide return methods to unused opioids to customers.
You don't have this?? I thought it was perfectly OK to return any unused prescription drugs to a pharmacist. It is encouraged here.
Quote:
8. And in Illinois government employees fired for misconduct will no longer receive severance pay.
Better have a clear understanding of what "misconduct" is, then. Otherwise it is simply a handy tag that can be added to any dismissal to prevent any payouts for any reason.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:07 PM   #3
baron
Philosopher

I approve of No. 2. I'm always with the leftists on animal rights.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:54 PM   #4
mgidm86
Illuminator

Quote:
I think it's great to have women on the Board. I think this is a terrible law.

I don't see it accomplishing anything positive. Might turn even more business away from California - perhaps not on its own but regulations like these will, and do. Next they'll tell me I need to keep having kids until we have a girl.

Is there any such law anywhere that specifically requires a woman, or a minority for that matter, in any position? No, not strip clubs, I said law.

The pet shop law (Cali again)...I love dogs but I'm not sure a state should have the power to decide these things for a business. You want to outlaw puppy farms then do that. What about other animals sold there? But ya sure fine whatever.

I do not like the heavy-handedness of California. And this is nothing compared to the business I am currently in. Here the Police Dept can watch all employees, in real-time, anytime they want on hi-def cameras. Are we building nuclear bombs? Nooooo.......I bet weapons mfgs don't even have such cameras.

Commufornia.

So women can miss jury duty for nursing. I wonder how much money was spent on that law. I thought people missed jury duty simply by throwing away the form? Works for me.

Last edited by mgidm86; 31st December 2018 at 01:55 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:03 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Some GOP legislators won't like that.
Any reason why? Sounds like they are simultaneously helping shelters while trying to kill off puppy farms. Both are good goals.
I agree. So many pet stores get their animals from puppy mills. I never get my dogs from pet stores. I always find a reputable breeder who is breeding to show. It takes longer and a lot more work but so worth it.

Quote:
Not sure that legislating common sense always works. Look for huge amounts of tokenism from now on in some corporations.
Agree. While women are absolutely under represented in higher office, I don't agree with passing over someone better qualified/suited to the job just due to sex.

Quote:
Stylish!
Do NOT get me started on hunting "for pleasure"! Hunting for food or to cull overpopulated herds/animals is a necessity but killing for 'fun' leaves me baffled.

Quote:
Or is that the age when you can legally buy tobacco products
Smoking, buying or having tobacco is not illegal for anyone at any age. What is illegal is selling tobacco to minors.

Quote:
Better have a clear understanding of what "misconduct" is, then. Otherwise it is simply a handy tag that can be added to any dismissal to prevent any payouts for any reason.
True. This happened to a relative who was terminated. The employer claimed he was terminated for 'misconduct' and he was denied unemployment. He appealed to the unemployment office which then investigated the situation. It found that what he did, and what the employer had claimed was misconduct, was actually part of his job description. The reason he was really terminated was because the employer wanted to terminate the position entirely (not fill it). By claiming misconduct, the employer was trying to keep the amount of unemployment insurance he was paying would not increase. My relative was granted the unemployment insurance.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

So women can miss jury duty for nursing. I wonder how much money was spent on that law. I thought people missed jury duty simply by throwing away the form? Works for me.
Women can postpone, not miss, jury duty while actively nursing.

Out of curiosity, do you object to this and, if so, on what grounds?

You do realize that throwing your jury duty summons away is illegal, don't you? You might find yourself in handcuffs one day after a simple traffic stop for a burned out headlight.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:15 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You do realize that throwing your jury duty summons away is illegal, don't you? You might find yourself in handcuffs one day after a simple traffic stop for a burned out headlight.
I was called for Federal Jury Duty about a month ago. Out of 50 people summoned 12 didn't show up, and of those twelve 4 were repeat offenders who were ignoring their second summons.

The judged issued warnings/re-summons for the 8 that didn't show up and bench warrants for the 4 repeat offenders on the spot.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I was called for Federal Jury Duty about a month ago. Out of 50 people summoned 12 didn't show up, and of those twelve 4 were repeat offenders who were ignoring their second summons.

The judged issued warnings/re-summons for the 8 that didn't show up and bench warrants for the 4 repeat offenders on the spot.
And I bet those 4 who were issued warrants moaned and bitched about how unfair it was, too, when they were arrested.

I've only been issued a jury summons twice in my life. One time I was extremely pregnant with a high risk pregnancy and was excused. The next time I wasn't chosen and dismissed.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:29 PM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And I bet those 4 who were issued warrants moaned and bitched about how unfair it was, too, when they were arrested.

I've only been issued a jury summons twice in my life. One time I was extremely pregnant with a high risk pregnancy and was excused. The next time I wasn't chosen and dismissed.
And the irony is the 38 people who did show up got dismissed by noon, with a full day of jury pay, because the case wound up not going to trial (plead out or something they didn't tell us the detail) at the last minute, and we're now free from getting called up for at least 12 months.

Old 31st December 2018, 03:07 PM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I have problems with 2. You can outlaw puppy farms while still allowing breeders to operate in a humane manner.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 03:40 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have problems with 2. You can outlaw puppy farms while still allowing breeders to operate in a humane manner.
The problem is that all breeders are supposed to follow the rules established by the federal Animal Welfare Act but many legal, licensed 'breeders' are, in actuality, puppy mills. As long as there are buyers willing to pay for puppies on a regular basis and in large quantities, such as pet stores, puppy mills will exist (legal or not). True breeders who aim for health and breed conformation do not breed in large quantities. Good quality breeders generally have waiting lists for their puppies. In order to get my two Boston Terriers, I had to submit a letter to the breeder with a recommendation from my veterinarian, reason why I wanted a Boston, what knowledge and experience I had with the breed, whether I was planning on breeding or not (she would only sell the pups that she didn't think met showing/breeding standards as pets), required proof of neutering/spaying within 4 months of taking possession. She also required an in home inspection by her.
Old 31st December 2018, 04:12 PM   #12
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm not in California, but around here non-puppy mill breeders aren't selling to pet stores. They operate privately, and still will in California.

(Though to be frank, even then I've only seen a handful of non-puppy mill breeders I would consider "humane".)
Old 31st December 2018, 04:53 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
I'm not in California, but around here non-puppy mill breeders aren't selling to pet stores. They operate privately, and still will in California.

(Though to be frank, even then I've only seen a handful of non-puppy mill breeders I would consider "humane".)
People love to breed their dogs because they think they can make a quick buck selling the puppies. They fail to realize just how expensive proper pre-natal vet care for the mother, including possible c-section, worming and vaccinations for the puppies can be.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:16 AM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

People love to breed their dogs because they think they can make a quick buck selling the puppies. They fail to realize just how expensive proper pre-natal vet care for the mother, including possible c-section, worming and vaccinations for the puppies can be.
But here in California with all the animals except pit bulls getting neutered, mutt pups go for $300+. Check craislist/san diego/puppy. While there note how many are "rescues from a Tijuana shelter". We have to IMPORT mutts. The PETA-think has gone too far.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But here in California with all the animals except pit bulls getting neutered, mutt pups go for $300+. Check craislist/san diego/puppy. While there note how many are "rescues from a Tijuana shelter". We have to IMPORT mutts. The PETA-think has gone too far.
I see a 'rehoming fee' for many of the mixed breed dogs. This is often done to weed out people who don't want to pay anything for a dog which can indicate it will not go to a good home. If someone has to pay something for a pet, they are more likely to take care of it.

Quote:
Free pets are much more likely to be abandoned, and in some cases, someone might be seeking to obtain a pet for free to use for an illegal purpose such as dog fighting. You should charge an adoption fee that is equal to or greater than the adoption fee charged by your local animal shelter for that type of pet.
https://www.adoptapet.com/blog/is-it...pets-for-free/

I don't think San Diego has to import dogs from Tijuana because there aren't enough available in SD. It's far more likely that people/rescue organizations want to rescue dogs from nearby Tijuana because they are animal lovers.
Old 1st January 2019, 05:54 PM   #16
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I see a 'rehoming fee' for many of the mixed breed dogs. This is often done to weed out people who don't want to pay anything for a dog which can indicate it will not go to a good home. If someone has to pay something for a pet, they are more likely to take care of it.

https://www.adoptapet.com/blog/is-it...pets-for-free/

I don't think San Diego has to import dogs from Tijuana because there aren't enough available in SD. It's far more likely that people/rescue organizations want to rescue dogs from nearby Tijuana because they are animal lovers.
The re-homing fee is BS to get around some rule that it is illegal for an individual to sell pets. I'm not sure if it's state law or Craigslist. But calling it a fee rather than a price hasn't done much to stem whatever it was they were trying to stop. It's the campaign to spay and neuter ALL pets that prevents me from getting a puppy from a basket at the swap meet.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 06:10 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Can you provide some evidence that "the re-homing fee is BS to get around some rule that it is illegal for an individual to sell pets"? I highly doubt it's illegal for people to sell animals. That would put legitimate breeders out of business.
Quote:
It's the campaign to spay and neuter ALL pets that prevents me from getting a puppy from a basket at the swap meet.
You that that like it's a bad thing. And since that's the case, I'd say it's done a lot to stem whatever it was they were trying to stop.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 1st January 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:57 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Objection or not, you can't bring your kids to jury duty. Claiming you don't have daycare would have been a broader reason.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:04 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Objection or not, you can't bring your kids to jury duty. Claiming you don't have daycare would have been a broader reason.
Agreed. A mother who doesn't work outside the home or who doesn't get paid for days she doesn't work, would end up spending more on a babysitter than she'd get paid for jury duty (which is a pittance). For low income parents it could be a major financial hardship.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:04 PM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I've been summoned 3 times. Once I wasted a day and was dismissed as soon as I said I was a nurse (domestic violence case). 2nd time they made us waste 3 days. That was it, I'll go one day or I'll go if there's at least a need other than being in the stand-by pool for three days so the judges and lawyers won't be inconvenienced. I felt disrespected.

3rd time they called I said I couldn't because I was the only person taking call at work. They made me explain it to the judge directly. Clearly they have a problem getting people to come to their jury pool. It's their own damn fault. 3 days indeed.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:36 PM   #21
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I've been summoned 3 times. Once I wasted a day and was dismissed as soon as I said I was a nurse (domestic violence case). 2nd time they made us waste 3 days. That was it, I'll go one day or I'll go if there's at least a need other than being in the stand-by pool for three days so the judges and lawyers won't be inconvenienced. I felt disrespected.

3rd time they called I said I couldn't because I was the only person taking call at work. They made me explain it to the judge directly. Clearly they have a problem getting people to come to their jury pool. It's their own damn fault. 3 days indeed.
I've been called for jury duty six times. Never selected. The last time I asked the Court Services Officer what the deal was on that. He told me it was my biography, defense attorneys don't like military veterans, particularly Senior NCOs, on the jury. Haven't been called since.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:21 PM   #22
Ranb
Philosopher

That worked for me while I was stationed in Hawaii and a summons would arrive for me at my home of record address.

Now that I'm working in my home state the summons arrive about every other year; served on five juries since 2001. I found out that accidentally marking yes for "convicted felon" does not deter the county clerk. She tracked me down by phone to the engine room of the aircraft carrier I was working in to ask if I was actually a felon. I told her no and got my jury pool number later that week.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Because nobody wants to see mums nursing while on jury duty!
I think it's the moms actually making those requests.

Last edited by Ranb; 2nd January 2019 at 03:23 PM.
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:39 PM   #23
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Can you provide some evidence that "the re-homing fee is BS to get around some rule that it is illegal for an individual to sell pets"? I highly doubt it's illegal for people to sell animals. That would put legitimate breeders out of business.

You that that like it's a bad thing. And since that's the case, I'd say it's done a lot to stem whatever it was they were trying to stop.
I hadn't seen your post but I'd checked into this claim earlier. I can spot some breeders on there (Craigslist) who are obviously making on the rehoming fee and delivery charge. A couple of tells...

> They offer pictures of a few dogs and the photos clearly show stacked dog cages in the background, not to mention a few who post solely a picture of a dog in a cage. You need to rehome your beloved family pet and the only photo of him/her is in a cage?

> People waaaay outside the area they are offering the dogs in. There are posts on the big city CA pages from suspected breeders in Utah, Arizona and Idaho. "All I want is to find Fluffy a good home", but you want it to be in Los Angeles for some reason? Would that possibly be because there's more disposable income in Los Angeles.

> People who show lines like @@@AKC Purebred XXXXXX with the unknown being the breed.

> The idiot who cut-and-paste a previous heart-wrenching appeal and forgot to change the bottom half so started out looking for a home for his beloved Shih Tzus who he had to give up because his new job required a lot of travel... but changed from "beloved dogs" to "wonderful cats" in the third paragraph.

> Posters who offer pups six/eight weeks before they're going to be weaned so you can get your choice early. This is how breeders market litters.

Craigslist could fix this easily. Make the "rehoming fee", "adoption fee", "delivery charge", "paperwork fee", etc... a required element of the ad. If you see the most adorable Old English Sheep Dog "free to a good home" and then see $1500 in fees, you won't have to wonder.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:09 PM   #24
Minoosh
Philosopher

I was summoned for a certain week this summer, and sent back a form about why I couldn't do it (I now live 100+ miles away). I didn't know for sure I'd been excused until I called a number - in the afternoon on the day I was supposed to show up - and found I'd been excused. I took the summons very seriously and was terrified of being flagged as a scofflaw or worse, but I just couldn't make it. The feds sent the summons to a place that was clearly outside the district, so I had my excuse lined up.

The main point is I don't understand people who can just blow this stuff off.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:48 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I hadn't seen your post but I'd checked into this claim earlier. I can spot some breeders on there (Craigslist) who are obviously making on the rehoming fee and delivery charge. A couple of tells...

> They offer pictures of a few dogs and the photos clearly show stacked dog cages in the background, not to mention a few who post solely a picture of a dog in a cage. You need to rehome your beloved family pet and the only photo of him/her is in a cage?

> People waaaay outside the area they are offering the dogs in. There are posts on the big city CA pages from suspected breeders in Utah, Arizona and Idaho. "All I want is to find Fluffy a good home", but you want it to be in Los Angeles for some reason? Would that possibly be because there's more disposable income in Los Angeles.

> People who show lines like @@@AKC Purebred XXXXXX with the unknown being the breed.

> The idiot who cut-and-paste a previous heart-wrenching appeal and forgot to change the bottom half so started out looking for a home for his beloved Shih Tzus who he had to give up because his new job required a lot of travel... but changed from "beloved dogs" to "wonderful cats" in the third paragraph.

> Posters who offer pups six/eight weeks before they're going to be weaned so you can get your choice early. This is how breeders market litters.

Craigslist could fix this easily. Make the "rehoming fee", "adoption fee", "delivery charge", "paperwork fee", etc... a required element of the ad. If you see the most adorable Old English Sheep Dog "free to a good home" and then see $1500 in fees, you won't have to wonder.
Not all 'breeders' are the same. There are legitimate breeders who breed to show. They sell those pups that don't meet show quality standards as "pet only, must be spayed/neutered" at a lower price and those that do meet show quality but that they don't plan to show themselves are sold at a higher price. Of course, we know there are "backyard" breeders (usually well intentioned but clueless as to what responsible breeding entails) and the worst of the worst puppy mill "make a buck" idiots.

Many of the 'tells' you listed point not to legitimate breeders but to scammers, backyard breeders, and puppy mills. Another clue to look for are not AKC registered, but CKC registered dogs. The Continental Kennel Club registration is worthless.
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:00 AM   #26
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Not all 'breeders' are the same. There are legitimate breeders who breed to show. They sell those pups that don't meet show quality standards as "pet only, must be spayed/neutered" at a lower price and those that do meet show quality but that they don't plan to show themselves are sold at a higher price. Of course, we know there are "backyard" breeders (usually well intentioned but clueless as to what responsible breeding entails) and the worst of the worst puppy mill "make a buck" idiots.

Many of the 'tells' you listed point not to legitimate breeders but to scammers, backyard breeders, and puppy mills. Another clue to look for are not AKC registered, but CKC registered dogs. The Continental Kennel Club registration is worthless.
Oh, I know the different angles in breeding, I was just commenting that you seemed to be querying that the people on Craigslist were necessarily using the "adoption fee" as a work-around to get the price of a puppy now that California has made that very difficult. If that wasn't what you were questioning then we're just off on a tangent.

All breeders aren't puppy mills. (Well, the guy with the stacked cages probably was.) I wasn't commenting that they're all degenerates just that some of them appear to obviously be breeders (of one sort or another).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:15 AM   #27
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oh, I know the different angles in breeding, I was just commenting that you seemed to be querying that the people on Craigslist were necessarily using the "adoption fee" as a work-around to get the price of a puppy now that California has made that very difficult. If that wasn't what you were questioning then we're just off on a tangent.

All breeders aren't puppy mills. (Well, the guy with the stacked cages probably was.) I wasn't commenting that they're all degenerates just that some of them appear to obviously be breeders (of one sort or another).
I was actually asking about the claim that the fees were to "get around some rule that it is illegal for an individual to sell pets as was claimed. I see no evidence that it's illegal to sell pets in CA.

ETA: By the way, I really enjoy your posts.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 3rd January 2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:20 AM   #28
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I was actually asking about the claim that the fees were to "get around some rule that it is illegal for an individual to sell pets as was claimed. I see no evidence that it's illegal to sell pets in CA.
Ah, I see.... never mind then.

(I have no idea but I think it's not illegal. Craigslist has a policy of not offering pets for sale and the new CA law concerns pet shops. I've seen nothing that says that selling pets has been outlawed.)

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:20 AM   #29
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I think it's great to have women on the Board. I think this is a terrible law.
I doubt that this law will make any difference. It is always possible to find a dill who will always support you on the board - regardless of sex.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:18 AM   #30
CaptainHowdy
Muse

I wonder what will happen when one of the men on an all male board of directors claims he identifies as a woman?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 11:02 AM   #31
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I wonder what will happen when one of the men on an all male board of directors claims he identifies as a woman?
I've got a good idea. Assuming this is a board that hires based on sex instead of merit, the male board member who identifies as a woman will be treated like they treat all the other females.

She will be ostracized and eventually demoted because they can't work with women; especially those ugly ones who look like dudes.

Ranb
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 12:54 PM   #32
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Is there any such law anywhere that specifically requires a woman, or a minority for that matter, in any position?
Yes, this one.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs
I don't agree with passing over someone better qualified/suited to the job just due to sex.
What makes someone better qualified/suited to being on a board of directors?
Old 10th January 2019, 01:08 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
What makes someone better qualified/suited to being on a board of directors?
- Knowledge of the industry or field
- Experience as an executive officer of organizations of similar size or nature
- Established track record of fiduciary responsibility as an executive or board member of similar organizations
- History of successful advocacy for issues that are important to the success of such organizations
- Social or professional connections to other people of importance in the industry or field
Etc.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 01:10 PM   #34
Belz...
Fiend God

So you have to go to a breeder, now? Are those regulated?

I bought all my animals from pet shops.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 01:15 PM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I've got a good idea. Assuming this is a board that hires based on sex instead of merit, the male board member who identifies as a woman will be treated like they treat all the other females.

She will be ostracized and eventually demoted because they can't work with women
Well, they can but only in the presence of their wives.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 02:02 PM   #36
mgidm86
Illuminator

No I don't.
Yes I do.
No I won't.

I'd do jury duty now but I haven't received a summons in decades.
Old 10th January 2019, 05:05 PM   #37
Stacyhs
Philosopher

>snip<
Yes I do.
So you knowingly and willingly broke the law? And you justify this how?

Quote:
No I won't.
And you know this how?

Quote:
A jury summons may seem no more important to you than a parking ticket, but ignoring it could land you in hot water with the court. The likely outcome of simply not showing up for jury duty is that the judge will issue a bench warrant.

A bench warrant is essentially an arrest warrant, but it is issued by a judge rather than the police. Like an arrest warrant, a bench warrant gives the police the right to arrest you, anytime, anywhere, including at home, at work, at school, or out on a date with your sweetheart. It is a non-emergency warrant, though, which means the cops probably aren’t going to come knocking on your door. You do run the risk of being hauled in with cuffs on if you get pulled over for a traffic violation—the police will see it when they look you up.
https://stories.avvo.com/rights/what...y-summons.html
Old 10th January 2019, 11:12 PM   #38
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
- Knowledge of the industry or field
- Experience as an executive officer of organizations of similar size or nature
- Established track record of fiduciary responsibility as an executive or board member of similar organizations
- History of successful advocacy for issues that are important to the success of such organizations
- Social or professional connections to other people of importance in the industry or field
Etc.
Well I can see why it might be difficult to find enough women to fill that role.

"Have you ever been on the board of a similar organization to ours?"

"Er, no - this is my first one actually."

"Then come back to us when you have..."

"Hello Bob, great to see you again. You were on the board of that company that failed due to gross mismanagement, right?

No matter, how would like to be on our board? Just vote with me on every issue and it will be sweet!"

And people wonder why they call it the 'glass ceiling'.
Old 10th January 2019, 11:18 PM   #39
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I approve of No. 2. I'm always with the leftists on animal rights.
Good.

I don't often agree with you, but I've noticed your love for animals. And I respect you for that. Seriously.

Last edited by Lambchops; 10th January 2019 at 11:27 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:11 PM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Well I can see why it might be difficult to find enough women to fill that role.

"Have you ever been on the board of a similar organization to ours?"

"Er, no - this is my first one actually."

"Then come back to us when you have..."

"Hello Bob, great to see you again. You were on the board of that company that failed due to gross mismanagement, right?

No matter, how would like to be on our board? Just vote with me on every issue and it will be sweet!"

And people wonder why they call it the 'glass ceiling'.
I'm not sure what this fantasy has to do with your question or my answer.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics