ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th January 2019, 07:29 PM   #361
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Maybe it's time to rewrite a famous quote:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wearing a red hat and clutching The Art of The Deal."
Spot on.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:30 PM   #362
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He needs people to back that crap and I don't think he has it. He can't even fill positions around him.

McConnell is a real scumbag but I think he would let Trump know such an action would be a fail. And Trump cannot make such a move without support.

I believe Trump fluctuates between believing he can and being scared ******** to actually try.
Knowing Trump, it was probably a spur-of-the-moment thing. Didn't a reporter ask him the question?

Reporter: mr. Crazy Person who loves to shock people, will you do this Crazy Thing?
Trump: oh yes! I will totally do the Crazy Thing! It will be the best Crazy Thing! I will win bigly! Just hold my beer!

I mean, it would be out of character for him to say no.
Old 4th January 2019, 10:37 PM   #363
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At this point, this is no longer about the Wall for Trump, it's about beating the Dems.
But I doubt Republicans have the stomach to stay with Trump once the shutdown really starts to hurt.
Trump will find a way to pretend to have won once it becomes clear that he can't strong-arm Pelosi.
Old 4th January 2019, 10:42 PM   #364
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
At this point, this is no longer about the Wall for Trump, it's about beating the Dems.
But I doubt Republicans have the stomach to stay with Trump once the shutdown really starts to hurt.
Trump will find a way to pretend to have won once it becomes clear that he can't strong-arm Pelosi.
Yeah, but it will only be a "win" in his delusional mind, and those of the rednecked, bigoted Stupidati that comprise his base.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 11:02 PM   #365
Molinaro
Illuminator

During today's meeting with congressional leaders Trump told them he does not like calling it a shutdown. He would prefer if everyone would call it a strike.

I guess he has that preference because that passes responsibility onto the affected government workers and the truth can just go **** itself.
Old 4th January 2019, 11:10 PM   #366
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Watching 'France 24' an EU news program, they put Trump on, talk about his nonsense du jour like it is actually a world leader and not a lying toddler. I have no idea if their EU audience buys it or if they are all laughing and puking like we are here in the US... and wondering why the news media doesn't have the guts to call Trump what he is.
That's how France 24 covers everything. They work overtime to be assiduously neutral. It's now government owned and I think there would be a storming of the backsteel, virtually, if they favored one ideology over the other. They've also reported on Palin, Farage, etc... as though they have actually ever made sense.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 11:53 PM   #367
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
During today's meeting with congressional leaders Trump told them he does not like calling it a shutdown. He would prefer if everyone would call it a strike.

I guess he has that preference because that passes responsibility onto the affected government workers and the truth can just go **** itself.
He is a failed real estate mogul with links to mobsters. He understands the word "strike" because he knows how to repress angry strikers. A shutdown he owns is more difficult to blame on someone else.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 11:55 PM   #368
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Watching 'France 24' an EU news program, they put Trump on, talk about his nonsense du jour like it is actually a world leader and not a lying toddler. I have no idea if their EU audience buys it or if they are all laughing and puking like we are here in the US... and wondering why the news media doesn't have the guts to call Trump what he is.
They are calling him what he is.He is POTUS. He was democratically elected. Incredulous as the rest of the world may be about that, we must acknowledge it and take him seriously.
Old 5th January 2019, 12:28 AM   #369
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
They are calling him what he is.He is POTUS. He was democratically elected. Incredulous as the rest of the world may be about that, we must acknowledge it and take him seriously.
No, we respect the office of POTUS. But Some dangerous, inarticulate, unintelligible, ignorant clown is currently pretending to be that person. Him we have less than zero respect for.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:53 AM   #370
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Is there any other rational way to parse that phrase other than using the military to seize private property by force?

He's talking about having the U.S. Army invade and occupy Americans' property without due process.
Or perhaps it's another one of his "2nd amendment" solutions?
Old 5th January 2019, 03:22 AM   #371
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
How the *&%$ would anyone be able to tell?
Up to now he's had some minders present. He doesn't listen to even his closest, craziest supporters.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 03:46 AM   #372
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Mexican and U.S. law enforcement agencies discovered a highly sophisticated underground tunnel—featuring a rail system and solar-powered lighting—running underneath the border between Mexico and California.

https://www.newsweek.com/mexico-us-b...-train-1162022

If only there was a wall!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:13 AM   #373
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/JuliaEAinsley/st...96255026896897

Quote:
A senior admin official tells me lawyers from Pentagon, DHS and White House are "working out the details" over how the president could declare a national emergency to use DOD to build his wall, bypassing Congress.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:16 AM   #374
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He is a failed real estate mogul with links to mobsters...
Objectively, I think that is a pretty accurate description of the guy who currently occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I saw the quote below in another forum and thought it very thought-provoking. How will history regard Donald Trump?
Quote:
Look at McCarthy, Wallace, they were quite popular in their day. Not anymore. History favors intelligent, kind and progressive leaders. Backwards, mean and divisive characters fall to the bottom of the list. And Trump is the worst of the lot, grossly unqualified and low class. History will scorch him.
History favors intelligent, kind and progressive leaders. Yes, it's basic human nature. Let's put Trump into the history books in 2020, America!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:16 AM   #375
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/statu...17198193455107

Quote:
my favorite way to listen to the president is slowed down to 1/2 speed because it reveals how often times his logic is indistinguishable from that of a drunk person:
Example embedded in tweet.
Old 5th January 2019, 04:54 AM   #376
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
His expression at that moment was positively chilling.

Did he use that odd, slightly wheezy, nasal tone of voice he uses when he’s trying to sound threatening?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 05:37 AM   #377
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Did he use that odd, slightly wheezy, nasal tone of voice he uses when he’s trying to sound threatening?
No, he actually looked stone cold and threatening. Which is notable because he never does otherwise.
Old 5th January 2019, 05:44 AM   #378
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That's how France 24 covers everything. They work overtime to be assiduously neutral. It's now government owned and I think there would be a storming of the backsteel, virtually, if they favored one ideology over the other. They've also reported on Palin, Farage, etc... as though they have actually ever made sense.
Pretty much. Even if it would be perfectly reasonable and accurate to describe the leader of a country as acting like a "lying toddler" it would appear, especially if it's not clear that one is speaking of ones own "personal opinion", as highly biased and overly emotional, if not outright infantile, language.

In opinion pieces European journalists are often far more blunt and critical.

For polling on how well Americas international image and soft power is affected by Trump's presidency see here: http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/...ng-key-allies/

For polling on how Americans perceive their own country's international image and standing see here: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...cted-globally/

Note that a large portion of Republican and republican leaning individuals basically believe that the US has become more respected under Trump even-though everything (except Fox News and Trump himself) suggests otherwise. Fact resistance and intense propaganda has basically created a parallel reality for these people.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:08 AM   #379
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Considering how Trump has portrayed the southern border as being an incredibly emergency and essentially a mortal threat to the US I'd say his administration should've declared a national emergency long ago.

Based on their own description of the severity of the situation and their inaction in remedying it, this is yet another clear illustration of how thoroughly incompetent the Trump administrations is.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 5th January 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:15 AM   #380
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Mexican and U.S. law enforcement agencies discovered a highly sophisticated underground tunnel—featuring a rail system and solar-powered lighting—running underneath the border between Mexico and California.

https://www.newsweek.com/mexico-us-b...-train-1162022

If only there was a wall!
By the way, that tunnel ran under a wall
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:21 AM   #381
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump might get Democract support if he drops the stupid concrete wall and instead goes with the proximity sensor grid that is for most part the Israeli/Palestine border.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:30 AM   #382
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
By the way, that tunnel ran under a wall
Need a bigger wall then since clearly that one wont do at all.
Old 5th January 2019, 06:36 AM   #383
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
oops

Last edited by The Greater Fool; 5th January 2019 at 06:38 AM.
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:37 AM   #384
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I like your thinking - you'd go far in the administration, maybe even lasting a whole week before getting fired.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:39 AM   #385
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I recommend listening to it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:40 AM   #386
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great support coming from all sides for Border Security (including Wall) on our very dangerous Southern Border. Teams negotiating this weekend! Washington Post and NBC reporting of events, including Fake sources, has been very inaccurate (to put it mildly)!

The Democrats could solve the Shutdown problem in a very short period of time. All they have to do is approve REAL Border Security (including a Wall), something which everyone, other than drug dealers, human traffickers and criminals, want very badly! This would be so easy to do!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 06:46 AM   #387
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Tweets

Great support coming from all sides for Border Security (including Wall) on our very dangerous Southern Border. Teams negotiating this weekend! Washington Post and NBC reporting of events, including Fake sources, has been very inaccurate (to put it mildly)!
he is talking about repeatedly using a term that would be blocked here due to violating Rule 10, right?
Old 5th January 2019, 06:57 AM   #388
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats could solve the Shutdown problem in a very short period of time. All they have to do is approve REAL Border Security (including a Wall), something which everyone, other than drug dealers, human traffickers and criminals, want very badly! This would be so easy to do!
Sure, Jan.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:07 AM   #389
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Many people currently a part of my opposition, including President Obama & the Dems, have had campaign violations, in some cases for very large sums of money. These are civil cases. They paid a fine & settled. While no big deal, I did not commit a campaign violation!
Old 5th January 2019, 07:11 AM   #390
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Wink

Trump Tweets

Many people currently a part of my opposition, including President Obama & the Dems, have had campaign violations, in some cases for very large sums of money. These are civil cases. They paid a fine & settled. While no big deal, I did not commit a campaign violation!
Sounds indistinguishable from an admission of guilt.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:18 AM   #391
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

How many suns on his planet, do you think?
Old 5th January 2019, 07:38 AM   #392
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

He's right; US Code makes clear distinctions between violations (civil/administrative law matters) and crimes (what Trump did).
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:57 AM   #393
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

No outright insults, but I think this is him. It's the self-contradictory stream of consciousness denial of wrongdoing. "Other people did this thing that's not really that wrong anyway that I didn't do."

I guess Mueller just interviewed someone about campaign finance and mentioned the severity of the crimes?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 07:59 AM   #394
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
For **** sake people. Give him the money and let him go and play golf for as long as he wants.
There's some logic in this since he's only spent six percent of the money from last year he got for border security.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:00 AM   #395
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
No outright insults, but I think this is him. It's the self-contradictory stream of consciousness denial of wrongdoing. "Other people did this thing that's not really that wrong anyway that I didn't do."

I guess Mueller just interviewed someone about campaign finance and mentioned the severity of the crimes?
With the help of an editor. The syntax isn't properly mangled.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:22 AM   #396
SezMe
post-pre-born

Do I take it from his recent comments that he is thinking of giving himself “national emergency” powers to fund his wall?
Yes. If he does that, I predict a national protest. I know I'll be out in the street and writing to my congresscritters every day.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:30 AM   #397
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

The story in the New York Times regarding Jim Webb being considered as the next Secretary of Defense is FAKE NEWS. I’m sure he is a fine man, but I don’t know Jim, and never met him.
It's obvious that Webb served coffee at a recent meeting in the Oval Office.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #398
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Give him his wall. The alternative is he possibly goes full retard.
No. Period.

If "full retard" means war or loosening some nukes, now it won't work He's so pissed off the military brass, if he tried that they'd tell to eff off.
Old 5th January 2019, 08:46 AM   #399
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Nah, but they will have to drive the fence posts 50 feet into the ground.
Old 5th January 2019, 09:18 AM   #400
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hopefully, this administration will cure the Military of its knee-jerk support for Republicans.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics