ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th January 2019, 10:48 AM   #1281
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border. I just got back and it is a far worse situation than almost anyone would understand, an invasion! I have been there numerous times - The Democrats, Cryin’ Chuck and Nancy don’t know how bad and dangerous it is for our ENTIRE COUNTRY....

...The Steel Barrier, or Wall, should have been built by previous administrations long ago. They never got it done - I will. Without it, our Country cannot be safe. Criminals, Gangs, Human Traffickers, Drugs & so much other big trouble can easily pour in. It can be stopped cold!
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! RUN! RUN!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:53 AM   #1282
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Everybody catch that? It's now a "humanitarian crisis?"

5 bucks says some "I care about immigrants more than the Dems. I care about immigrants more than anyone ever in history of time" line is coming soon.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:55 AM   #1283
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Seems he's setting up for a move of some kind.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:00 AM   #1284
Stacyhs
Philosopher

They've been instructed to increase the use of the word "crisis". Now, it's "humanitarian crisis" because it sounds better than "rapists, murderers, and criminals are pouring over the border to attack white people crisis".
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:01 AM   #1285
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Seems he's setting up for a move of some kind.
It's a legal strategy to help declare a national emergency.

Quote:
Part of the White House counsel's office review of declaring a national emergency has included laying the groundwork for a legal defense of the move, according to officials familiar with the matter.

That has included advising the President's aides on ramping up talk of the humanitarian and security "crisis" — a characterization that administration lawyers could use later in court to defend a national emergency. The lawyers have suggested the more times the term is used, the more citations they will have in filing a legal defense.

Trump and others in the White House began using that term more frequently over the past week.

The lawyers are looking for other ways to illustrate that an emergency is underway, recognizing a declaration would be challenged by Democrats. That has also included hosting lawmakers in the Situation Room for talks, a setting that lends to the sense of crisis.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:03 AM   #1286
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I've had the thought before that Lindsey Graham is playing Trump - when he urged him to fire Jeff Sessions. It's hard to reconcile Graham's love for John McCain and his current practice of kissing Trump's butt. I never thought of him as slimy before Trump, but it's hard to come up with any explanation for his apparent change of heart. Maybe it has to do with voters in South Carolina.
He is, after all, a lawyer....

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Do you think felons care about such things?
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That auto correct is a ****.
He isn't a convicted felon yet and he is capable at anytime of going full retard while he is POTUS.
Fixed that for you.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:09 AM   #1287
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that repeating a lie, no matter how many times, does not make it true.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:09 AM   #1288
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Fake News Media keeps saying we haven’t built any NEW WALL. Below is a section just completed on the Border. Anti-climbing feature included. Very high, strong and beautiful! Also, many miles already renovated and in service!

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...320192/photo/1
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:15 AM   #1289
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that repeating a lie, no matter how many times, does not make it true.
I gotta wonder, if you have to follow a "legal strategy" to create it, is it really an emergency?

If I were to take this to court, the fact that their use of humanitarian crisis is called a legal strategy is exhibit 1 that this is not an emergency.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:19 AM   #1290
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I gotta wonder, if you have to follow a "legal strategy" to create it, is it really an emergency?

If I were to take this to court, the fact that their use of humanitarian crisis is called a legal strategy is exhibit 1 that this is not an emergency.
Agreed. It's evidence of a manufactured crisis, which Trump is claiming it's not.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:20 AM   #1291
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Rudy Giuliani says President Trump’s legal team should be allowed to “correct” special counsel Robert Mueller’s final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-final-mueller

Seems legit...

I'm picturing Trump with a Sharpie clenched in his fist, scrawling "NO COLLUSION" on every page.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:26 AM   #1292
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm picturing Trump with a Sfharpie clenched in his fist, scrawling "NO COLLUSION" on every page.
Yeah. The conclusion goes from guilty to not guilty.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:26 AM   #1293
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

The Fake News Media keeps saying we haven’t built any NEW WALL. Below is a section just completed on the Border. Anti-climbing feature included. Very high, strong and beautiful! Also, many miles already renovated and in service!

When was that wall funded and by whom? I don't believe the Media has claimed that no new walls have been built.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:29 AM   #1294
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Tweets

is it a New Wall when it is only the renovated old wall?

no.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:40 AM   #1295
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Not so! If a heretofore honest man keeps repeating the lie that it is dishonest, then it becomes true (but not retroactively).

Okay, I think my pedantry has hit rock bottom. Is there a twelve step?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:47 AM   #1296
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Not so! If a heretofore honest man keeps repeating the lie that it is dishonest, then it becomes true (but not retroactively).

Okay, I think my pedantry has hit rock bottom. Is there a twelve step?
In order to make amends, step one is to subject yourself to one full hour of uninterrupted Trump speeches in a locked room.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:51 AM   #1297
Border Reiver
Philosopher

In order to make amends, step one is to subject yourself to one full hour of uninterrupted Trump speeches in a locked room.
That is a clear violation of the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:53 AM   #1298
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'll stick with the disorder, thanks.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:54 AM   #1299
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'll stick with the disorder, thanks.
A wise choice.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 11:57 AM   #1300
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I've always had a sadistic streak in me.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:06 PM   #1301
carlitos
"más divertido"

Rule 3. You will not post anything that demonstrates a clear and present danger to the welfare of another person, or otherwise tends to create alarm or apprehension that the welfare of any person is in imminent jeopardy. (Such posts will be moved offline and referred to the appropriate authorities.)
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:34 PM   #1302
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I hear you. The thing is, it's dangerous to get into a road rage incident in your shiny new BMW when the other guy doesn't give a damn because he's driving a beater car.
And now we're watching it play out. Trump doesn't care one damn bit about laid off workers. He doesn't care about people suffering due to lack of services. All he cares about is his ego. He's driving a beater car.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:41 PM   #1303
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is why Trump's standard tactic of "Distract us from our current outrage by doing something more outrageous" scares me.

Because I fear if we do back him into a corner his only recourse is to doing something so outrages we can't ignore it.

In the words of Soviet General discussing peace terms with the NATO Commander at the end of Red Storm Rising "The Soviet Union no longer has a way to win. But do no forget that we can still make it so everyone loses."

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:55 PM   #1304
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
And now we're watching it play out. Trump doesn't care one damn bit about laid off workers. He doesn't care about people suffering due to lack of services. All he cares about is his ego. He's driving a beater car.

He'll care when his base starts to feel the hurt of his governing-style personally (shutdowns, tariffs, government over-expenditures, etc etc)... and start screaming for his head on a platter.

Patience grasshopper.

When ten-toothed Trumpians lose that beautiful sound of jingling coins in their pocket, all hell will break loose.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:57 PM   #1305
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Rule 3. You will not post anything that demonstrates a clear and present danger to the welfare of another person, or otherwise tends to create alarm or apprehension that the welfare of any person is in imminent jeopardy. (Such posts will be moved offline and referred to the appropriate authorities.)
Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #1306
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

I often said during rallies, with little variation, that “Mexico will pay for the Wall.” We have just signed a great new Trade Deal with Mexico. It is Billions of Dollars a year better than the very bad NAFTA deal which it replaces. The difference pays for Wall many times over!

H1-B holders in the United States can rest assured that changes are soon coming which will bring both simplicity and certainty to your stay, including a potential path to citizenship. We want to encourage talented and highly skilled people to pursue career options in the U.S.
Trump did not write that. The sentences are too long and are punctuated properly. They are also grammatically correct with good spelling. And there is only one exclamation mark. This is almost certainly some flunky's work...Miller?

ETA. Dammit! Go to sleep and get ninja'd!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 11th January 2019 at 01:02 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:04 PM   #1307
newyorkguy
Philosopher

It's possible Trump will wind up the biggest loser in this whole affair. He usually does. The GOP is beginning to show some fraying:
Quote:
The House approved two appropriations billa Thursday to reopen the Departments of Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, Agriculture and other agencies. Why it matters: 12 Republicans broke with GOP leadership and President Trump to fund HUD and the Department of Transportation, while 10 voted to approve the agriculture appropriations bill. On Wednesday, only eight House Republicans voted to reopen the government, suggesting that pressure is mounting on the GOP to do something to end the 20-day stalemate. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:09 PM   #1308
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
He'll care when his base starts to feel the hurt of his governing-style personally (shutdowns, tariffs, government over-expenditures, etc etc)... and start screaming for his head on a platter.

Patience grasshopper.

When ten-toothed Trumpians lose that beautiful sound of jingling coins in their pocket, all hell will break loose.
Decident Trumpians?

<Tips hat to Granny Weatherwax for that word>
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:28 PM   #1309
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Decident Trumpians?

<Tips hat to Granny Weatherwax for that word>

Love that word. You should submit it to Webster's.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:28 PM   #1310
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It's possible Trump will wind up the biggest loser in this whole affair. He usually does. The GOP is beginning to show some fraying:
I think that, privately, many GOP members of Congress think The Wall/Fence (whatever) is a stupid idea. Sadly, I also think that they are cowards who are too afraid of Trump and the far right wing that controls their party to break on this publicly.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:31 PM   #1311
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7c6c8c72f1.gif

Love that word. You should submit it to Webster's.
pTerry coined it in "Witches Abroad" IIRC. Where Granny was reading notes about how a group of people had become decadent.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #1312
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think that, privately, many GOP members of Congress think The Wall/Fence (whatever) is a stupid idea. Sadly, I also think that they are cowards who are too afraid of Trump and the far right wing that controls their party to break on this publicly.
I agree. It seems as if the only members of the party left are corrupt or batcrap crazy.....or both.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:58 PM   #1313
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The head of company that was running the Tornillo detention center says he shut it down because that was the only way to get Trump administration to start releasing unaccompanied minors to sponsors, instead of keeping them detained indefinitely.

Quote:
Kevin Dinnin, the CEO of the contractor that ran the controversial tent city for migrant children in Tornillo, Texas, says the facility is closing down because he refused the government’s request to detain more youths there.
Shrouded in secrecy since it opened in June to handle overflow of the Trump administration’s family separation policy, the facility at Tornillo became a symbol of the administration’s mass detention of undocumented children.

Originally built to hold 400 migrant teens sent from its permanent facilities and and slated to close within 30 days, by December it had ballooned to a large complex holding more than 2,800 children.

“The children were coming in but never leaving,” Dinnin said in an exclusive interview with VICE News. The president and CEO of the nonprofit BCFS, which ran the facility under contract with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said he was dismayed the U.S. government kept asking him to expand the camp.

“We as an organization finally drew the line,” Dinnin, who oversaw day-to-day operations at Tornillo, said. “You can’t keep taking children in and not releasing them.”
Old 11th January 2019, 02:10 PM   #1314
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

You are assuming that Americans never vote against what is in their best interest and that they never ally themselves with a fast-talking politician who places the interests of other groups ahead of the intests of their own group.

If you have evidence to support that assumption, I will gladly consider it.

I’m not convinced his base will ever scream for his head on a platter.
Old 11th January 2019, 02:29 PM   #1315
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the way to control drug trafficking is to control demand, as countless examples have shown.
Americans addicted to painkillers would love nothing more than a program that provides care and substitutes that will allow them to continue their life.
But the Trump administration is going hardcore in the opposite direction.
There are two such programs. One is methadone maintenance. It can however be fairly inconvenient, especially if you live in a rural areal, as for an extended period you have to go to the clinic 6 days a week. The other option is Suboxone - buprenorphine and naloxone. You're supposed to already be in withdrawal before you start taking it; otherwise you will have a nasty experience called precipitated withdrawal. You have to go to the doctor monthly as opposed to almost daily.

Both of these options are addictive, but Suboxone IMO has a far lower potential for abuse.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #1316
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You are assuming that Americans never vote against what is in their best interest and that they never ally themselves with a fast-talking politician who places the interests of other groups ahead of the intests of their own group.

If you have evidence to support that assumption, I will gladly consider it.

I’m not convinced his base will ever scream for his head on a platter.
I understand not being convinced. But the entire base is really irrelevant. Trump's approval numbers are low to begin with. The question is, can it reach a tipping point?

My next door neighbor is a rabid tea party Republican. He's the Republican precinct chair in my neighborhood and was a huge Trump supporter and he turned against Trump a year ago. Says Trump is the biggest mistake the GOP ever made.

If that guy can turn against Trump, so can others.
Old 11th January 2019, 02:44 PM   #1317
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Making jokes about Crenshaw is delicate, so I'll just post this amazing tweet without further comment:

"In an alternate universe where Republicans still held the House, the government would be open, federal workers would have their paychecks, and Border Patrol would have the funding and tools they need.

Just something to think about."

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/st...18371647447040
Old 11th January 2019, 02:48 PM   #1318
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Making jokes about Crenshaw is delicate, so I'll just post this amazing tweet without further comment:

"In an alternate universe where Republicans still held the House, the government would be open, federal workers would have their paychecks, and Border Patrol would have the funding and tools they need.

And they still wouldn't have a wall.

One could also say if Lying POS Donald Trump wasn't President all those things would be true as well.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th January 2019 at 03:37 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 02:51 PM   #1319
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

“An alternate universe where Republicans still held the house”.

Also known as about a week ago.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #1320
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I understand not being convinced. But the entire base is really irrelevant. Trump's approval numbers are low to begin with. The question is, can it reach a tipping point?

My next door neighbor is a rabid tea party Republican. He's the Republican precinct chair in my neighborhood and was a huge Trump supporter and he turned against Trump a year ago. Says Trump is the biggest mistake the GOP ever made.

If that guy can turn against Trump, so can others.
Well. We’ll see what happens.

I think the tipping point will come from the top rather than the bottom. The party leaders will turn before the base does. Then again, I have a whole page of My predictions that turned out to be worthless.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics