ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 02:00 PM   #321
RolandRat
Thinker

Trump happy to keep the shutdown going for over a year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...uld-last-year/

I'm sure the staff are happy..

Edit - Ninjaed by the Captain, swoop he did
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:01 PM   #322
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
In his first Cabinet meeting of the year, President Trump stuck a dagger in a major initiative advanced by his foreign policy team: Iran’s leaders, the president said, “can do what they want” in Syria.

With a stray remark, Trump snuffed out a plan from his national security adviser, John Bolton, who this fall vowed that the United States would not leave Syria “as long as Iranian troops are outside Iranian borders.”

The president’s statement offered the latest illustration of the dramatic gyrations that have characterized his foreign policy and fueled questions about whether his senior advisers are implementing his policies or pursuing their own agendas.

The president’s order last month to withdraw troops from Syria, which prompted the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, had already exposed a stark gap between Bolton’s plan to use the country as a theater to push back against Iran and the president’s eagerness to wash his hands of the war.

Late last year, some of the president’s hawkish advisers drafted a memo committing the United States to a longer-term presence in Syria that included goals of an enduring defeat of the Islamic State, a political transition and the expulsion of Iran, officials said. The president has not signed the memo, which was presented to him weeks ago.

In fact, Trump had warned his aides for months that he wanted out of Syria in short order. But Bolton and Pompeo, apparently believing like other officials across the government that the president had softened that demand, continued to relay bold plans for the country ahead of the surprise withdrawal announcement.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...c7_story.html?

What a well oiled, fine-tuned machine his presidency is indeed.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th January 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #323
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Asked if that was a threat to Democrats, Trump replied, "I never threaten anybody, but I am allowed to do it -- call a national emergency.
His expression at that moment was positively chilling.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:08 PM   #324
Armitage72
Master Poster

November, 2020.
"In response to the national emergency of massive numbers of illegal immigrants entering the country and voting illegally, I am using my emergency powers to shut down every building containing a federal polling location until this problem can be resolved."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:11 PM   #325
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Do I take it from his recent comments that he is thinking of giving himself “national emergency” powers to fund his wall?
And apparently something about using the “military version” of eminent domain to seize private land on which to build it. That should delight all those folks who bought guns during the Obama administration to protect themselves from the federal gov’t.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #326
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Trump happy to keep the shutdown going for over a year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...uld-last-year/

I'm sure the staff are happy..

Pence, the Cabinet, and senior staff will get raises if the shutdown continues.

But Trump "might consider" asking them to turn down the raises.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:21 PM   #327
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
And apparently something about using the “military version” of eminent domain to seize private land on which to build it. That should delight all those folks who bought guns during the Obama administration to protect themselves from the federal gov’t.
It must happen. The southern border is a dangerous horrible disaster. Millions of illegals, potential terrorists, rapists and murders are flooding in everyday. The safety of innocent American families are at risk. The wall must be built!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 4th January 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:26 PM   #328
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's just that easy!
Old 4th January 2019, 02:31 PM   #329
carlitos
"más divertido"

Driving a car off-road through a desert and then through/over a fence or through the Rio Grande? No problem.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #330
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

For **** sake people. Give him the money and let him go and play golf for as long as he wants.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:43 PM   #331
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
For **** sake people. Give him the money and let him go and play golf for as long as he wants.
If Trump realizes that blackmail works, he will have a shutdown every two months unless he gets whatever he wants.
When a toddler threatens to hold his breath until he gets his way, the correct action isn't giving in.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:51 PM   #332
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

No! The shutdown must continue until morale improves! Why should the Dems give Trump and his GOP cronies anything? All they're going to do is gloat and then demand more. This shutdown is on Trump; he needs to take the heat.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:52 PM   #333
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The story in the New York Times regarding Jim Webb being considered as the next Secretary of Defense is FAKE NEWS. I’m sure he is a fine man, but I don’t know Jim, and never met him. Patrick Shanahan, who is Acting Secretary of Defense, is doing a great job!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:55 PM   #334
gregthehammer
Muse

Trump Tweets

The story in the New York Times regarding Jim Webb being considered as the next Secretary of Defense is FAKE NEWS. I’m sure he is a fine man, but I don’t know Jim, and never met him. Patrick Shanahan, who is Acting Secretary of Defense, is doing a great job!
Johnny Ola? No, I never met him.

gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:01 PM   #335
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I guess this mean Webb told him no.

He doesn't know Jim?

Even I heard of him. In Vietnam he was wounded when he used his body to shield one of his men from a grenade blast. Then used grenades and claymore mines to clear three bunkers. Full Rambo mode!

He got a Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

Actually, I think I do know why trump wouldn't want him.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 4th January 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:07 PM   #336
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this mean Webb told him no.

He doesn't know Jim?

Even I heard of him. In Vietnam he was wounded when he used his body to shield one his men from a grenade blast.
Yes, but did he have to sleep with supermodels in the 1980s? Now apparently THAT is real danger.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:17 PM   #337
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Johnny Ola? No, I never met him.

Fredo! It was you. Now go fishing and say a 'Hail Mary'.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #338
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Driving a car off-road through a desert and then through/over a fence or through the Rio Grande? No problem.
You'd think that it it would be pretty easy to stop them if only they had someone watch the areas where the barriers end.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:31 PM   #339
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
His expression at that moment was positively chilling.
I’ll take Megalomaniacs for 5.6 billion, Alex.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:32 PM   #340
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
How is it that Republican supporters, pre election, continually swallow the bs about fiscal responsibility when the Republican led governments are always the ones blowing up the national debt?
As a tangent, I'm reminded of a story I read about a few years ago, which was recently brought up in another article. It boiled down to the Democrats having problems sounding out new policy suggestions, because focus groups were refusing to accept the basic premises, namely that Republicans really would make the cuts to healthcare etc. that they said they would.

Edit: The relevant portion:
Quote:
[Bill] Burton and his colleagues spent the early months of 2012 trying out the pitch that Romney was the most far-right presidential candidate since Barry Goldwater. It fell flat. The public did not view Romney as an extremist. For example, when Priorities informed a focus group that Romney supported the Ryan budget plan – and thus championed “ending Medicare as we know it” – while also advocating tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, the respondents simply refused to believe any politician would do such a thing. [emphasis added]
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...dulity-matters

Last edited by KDLarsen; 4th January 2019 at 03:35 PM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:42 PM   #341
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
As a tangent, I'm reminded of a story I read about a few years ago, which was recently brought up in another article. It boiled down to the Democrats having problems sounding out new policy suggestions, because focus groups were refusing to accept the basic premises, namely that Republicans really would make the cuts to healthcare etc. that they said they would.

Edit: The relevant portion:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...dulity-matters

We have a very similar problem (although with a No Deal Brexit looming perhaps more urgent one) in the UK.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:11 PM   #342
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

But only if they "turn left".
Old 4th January 2019, 04:14 PM   #343
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Watching 'France 24' an EU news program, they put Trump on, talk about his nonsense du jour like it is actually a world leader and not a lying toddler. I have no idea if their EU audience buys it or if they are all laughing and puking like we are here in the US... and wondering why the news media doesn't have the guts to call Trump what he is.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:28 PM   #344
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Is there any other rational way to parse that phrase other than using the military to seize private property by force?

He's talking about having the U.S. Army invade and occupy Americans' property without due process.
Old 4th January 2019, 04:47 PM   #345
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Wars of conquest are the military version of eminent domain.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:17 PM   #346
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Pay attention America, pay very close attention to what you see happening here.

What Trump is doing is all but threatening to declare Martial Law! It is a very small step once he has done that to declaring himself "king".

Members of all those militias in the south ought to be getting twitchy about now, because this is precisely the sort of thing that they formed themselves for - to guard against one man ignoring the constitution and usurping the authority of Congress.

I think you are rapidly approaching the point where there are only two parts of your constitution that are going to be of any use to resolve this

The 25th Amendment, or
The Second Amendment
Old 4th January 2019, 05:24 PM   #347
Minoosh
Philosopher

The vast majority of military members are going to loathe Trump soon, if they don't already.

The clash between Trump and his generals

This is from the Military Times. Trump's ineptitude as a commander in chief is bound to stir fears that he would put soldiers, airmen etc. in harm's way for completely stupid reasons. Though rank-and-file service members don't always love their generals, Trump's alienation of the brass is so comprehensive that I think the troops are bound to realize that the problem isn't with the generals, but with Trump.

One good thing about Trump's withdrawal from Syria (if it ever even happens) is that it must piss off John Bolton to hear "Iran can do what it wants in Syria" at a televised cabinet meeting.

I haven't had the heart to look at footage from the press conference. Every quote cited here probably makes perfect sense to his supporters. The excerpts Captain Swoop posted from the cabinet meeting sound sensible to them. There is no steaming pile of crap they won't gobble up if it comes from Trump. I hope I am wrong about that.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 05:27 PM   #348
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Members of all those militias in the south ought to be getting twitchy about now, because this is precisely the sort of thing that they formed themselves for - to guard against one man ignoring the constitution and usurping the authority of Congress.
Militias, hell. The actual military might want to get involved.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:06 PM   #349
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
He thinks fictional movies are real.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:08 PM   #350
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's not helpful. I say ignore Trump (except conning him) and focus on the GOP legislators who support his nonsense.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:12 PM   #351
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What Trump is doing is all but threatening to declare Martial Law! It is a very small step once he has done that to declaring himself "king".

I think you are rapidly approaching the point where there are only two parts of your constitution that are going to be of any use to resolve this

The 25th Amendment, or
The Second Amendment
He needs people to back that crap and I don't think he has it. He can't even fill positions around him.

McConnell is a real scumbag but I think he would let Trump know such an action would be a fail. And Trump cannot make such a move without support.

I believe Trump fluctuates between believing he can and being scared ******** to actually try.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:15 PM   #352
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The 25th Amendment, or
The Second Amendment

Give him his wall. The alternative is he possibly goes full retard.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 4th January 2019 at 06:18 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:26 PM   #353
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
But only if they "turn left".
At Albuquerque, to be exact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4384F358-6E0E-487C-A79F-4C7B345379B8.jpeg (24.4 KB, 13 views)
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:45 PM   #354
Minoosh
Philosopher

"China's been paying us tremendous tariffs."

Spoken like a man who knows for a fact that his supporters are stupid.

The reporters are just enabling him to spread stupidity.

ETA: Now listening to the rest of the press conference to see if anyone calls him on this. He said it again, and the reporter did not educate him on follow-up.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th January 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 4th January 2019, 06:46 PM   #355
Minoosh
Philosopher

How the *&%$ would anyone be able to tell?
Old 4th January 2019, 06:55 PM   #356
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I'm pretty sure that train has already left the station.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:00 PM   #357
RolandRat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Spoken like a man who knows for a fact that his supporters are stupid.

The reporters are just enabling him to spread stupidity.

Donald Trump is the reason the right to vote should carry an IQ test (or equivalent) requirement. Universal Suffrage is wrong. The vote is a powerful right and should not be wielded by those who are obviously incapable of using it correctly.

Using it correctly does not mean voting the way I think people should vote. It means disenfranchising the morons who think the damage people like Trump do is all good as long as it allows them to laugh at the other side.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:11 PM   #358
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
At Albuquerque, to be exact.
Good one.

You may think I was trying to set up that joke but no, Trump actually used the "They just drive along the wall, and turn left" line at least twice.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:25 PM   #359
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Some time ago there was an article here (think it was in part 10 or 11) about how Trump can't become "normal" because his whole image is built on constantly doing and saying insane ans shocking things, and so if he became more presidential, he would lose lots of followers.

Anyone have this article? I can't seem to find it.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:27 PM   #360
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

The 25th Amendment, or
The Second Amendment

Maybe it's time to rewrite a famous quote:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wearing a red hat and clutching The Art of The Deal."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics