ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

In 2022, what will be the dictionary definition of Trumpian?

“Trumpian”might gain enough usage to be added to the dictionaries. I think that is likely. What will be the most common usage of the word?
Old 1st January 2019, 10:57 AM   #2
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I will vote for "transparently mendacious." When your two year old drops a glass of milk and says "not me," you can say, "Don't be so Trumpian."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:15 AM   #3
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen it used apparently meaning "applealing to common stupidity and/or cruelty", so I guess that'll be my vote.

Example: "The GOP State Senator of [state] pledged to persecute homeless people in Trumpian adress to crowd."

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 12:18 PM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

"Biggest Douche in the Universe"

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
”Biggest Trumpian Douche...”
Old 1st January 2019, 12:24 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trumpian will be an adjective describing lying on a Biblical scale.
Stupidity on a stupendous scale.
And dishonest on a bigly scale.
Old 1st January 2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Like the F-word, it can be used in many ways.

Trumpian:

1. Hyperbolic, misleading and/or false information.

2. Grossly childish and/or bullying behavior.

3. Obsessive tweeting, usually in the wee hours of the morning with little or no
forethought.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 02:15 PM   #8
mgidm86
Illuminator

Cool a thread solely designed to throw insults. How ISF of you.
Old 1st January 2019, 02:51 PM   #9
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Being a skeptic doesn't mean not insulting the most powerful stupid person in the world. I see it as a right and a duty.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I've been considering Trumpian to be synonymous with American fascism or, maybe, modern American fascism.
Old 1st January 2019, 03:07 PM   #11
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I've been considering Trumpian to be synonymous with American fascism or, maybe, modern American fascism.
Wouldn't that be 'Trumpism'?

Old 1st January 2019, 07:00 PM   #12
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Nah, I think you want the Trump Nicknames thread. This is the new words thread as in "birther", "covfefe", "bigly", "the cyber", "Nambia", "Two Corinthians", "unpresidented", "hear by" and "councel".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:03 PM   #13
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nah, I think you want the Trump Nicknames thread. This is the new words thread as in "birther", "covfefe", "bigly", "the cyber", "Nambia", "Two Corinthians", "unpresidented", "hear by" and "councel".
And every juvenile nickname for opposition politicians (where "opposition' means against you personally regardless of party) you can think of.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:07 PM   #14
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Cool. Another post to express mgidm86's opprobrium at people pointing out yet another topic he'd rather not hear about.

If only our computers had a button that would allow us to scroll past questions we're not interested in or that we find offensive. I think I'll suggest Darat and Icerat look into such a feature.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:12 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Cool. Another post to express mgidm86's opprobrium at people pointing out yet another topic he'd rather not hear about.

If only our computers had a button that would allow us to scroll past questions we're not interested in or that we find offensive. I think I'll suggest Darat and Icerat look into such a feature.
If only the title of this thread gave some indication of the content, mgidm86 might have been able to avoid it.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:34 PM   #16
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Shut your festering gob, you tit!
Old 1st January 2019, 07:35 PM   #17
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

It's pretty clear that before the election of 2016 the strategy of PC policing and ad hominems had not only failed, but backfired.

The largest group of voters are independents. We do not even exist in the Master Narrative, only at election time to be told whoever we vote for is actually a vote against whoever we are voting for.

This forum is dying because it is part of the old world, the media-driven world, and it was dying before Trump ever ran for office.

Despite being an allegedly skeptical forum, this page most especially is Ad Hominem City. And it is the hurler of the Ad Hominem that is remembered by history, not the person who is being de-humanized.

Yeah, it is great in the short run to feel this victory, chasing off people you don't like, that do not even belong to a party, the largest group of voters, by making sure we understand that if we don't hate on Trump every breath of our lives... we are scum.

So hey, I have lots of amazing stuff going on with kids and life. On the edge of the wilderness we can't just roll into a bar for conversation, so we go online.

But this type of forum is drastically different even from comment threads on articles. You see a lot better skeptical discussion on many of the sources I frequent. This is PC City, and a discussion of "Trumpian" is so perfect for how empty this place has become.

An ad hom.

Not an argument.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:39 PM   #18
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
It's pretty clear that before the election of 2016 the strategy of PC policing and ad hominems had not only failed, but backfired.

The largest group of voters are independents. We do not even exist in the Master Narrative, only at election time to be told whoever we vote for is actually a vote against whoever we are voting for.

This forum is dying because it is part of the old world, the media-driven world, and it was dying before Trump ever ran for office.

Despite being an allegedly skeptical forum, this page most especially is Ad Hominem City. And it is the hurler of the Ad Hominem that is remembered by history, not the person who is being de-humanized.

Yeah, it is great in the short run to feel this victory, chasing off people you don't like, that do not even belong to a party, the largest group of voters, by making sure we understand that if we don't hate on Trump every breath of our lives... we are scum.

So hey, I have lots of amazing stuff going on with kids and life. On the edge of the wilderness we can't just roll into a bar for conversation, so we go online.

But this type of forum is drastically different even from comment threads on articles. You see a lot better skeptical discussion on many of the sources I frequent. This is PC City, and a discussion of "Trumpian" is so perfect for how empty this place has become.

An ad hom.

Not an argument.
Your type really makes me puke.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:40 PM   #19
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

How so?

I did not ask for insults. I just asked how it might be defined.
There is no reason a Trump supporter could not have suggested that Trumpian will replace the phrase dark horse (a long shot that wins the contest). Or that Trumpian will mean: not being played for a sucker; requiring all participants to pay a fair share. Or that Trumpian will mean great candor.

ETA:
It is a skeptics’ board. If you believe that there are responses that are not based on tangible, reliable evidence, then feel free to call them out.

Last edited by Ladewig; 1st January 2019 at 07:42 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:43 PM   #20
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
How so?

I did not ask for insults. I just asked how it might be defined.
There is no reason a Trump supporter could not have suggested that Trumpian will replace the phrase dark horse (a long shot that wins the contest). Or that Trumpian will mean: not being played for a sucker; requiring all participants to pay a fair share. Or that Trumpian will mean great candor.

ETA:
It is a skeptics’ board. If you believe that there are responses that are not based on tangible, reliable evidence, then feel free to call them out.
You appear to have ruffled some feathers.

Maybe "trumpian" will mean "snow-flake"...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:44 PM   #21
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Donald, is that you?
Old 1st January 2019, 07:48 PM   #22
Stacyhs
Philosopher

And it is the hurler of the Ad Hominem that is remembered by history, not the person who is being de-humanized.
Trump may do well to remember this.

How ironic that Trump supporters had a massive fit when Clinton used the term "basket of deplorables" but seem quite willing to overlook Trump's constant insults hurled at anyone who disagrees with him.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:49 PM   #23
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It will refer to all those people who are obsessed with Trump, like most people here.
Old 1st January 2019, 07:50 PM   #24
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Afraid of the competition?
Old 1st January 2019, 07:52 PM   #25
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 1st January 2019, 08:16 PM   #26
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It will refer to all those people who are obsessed with Trump, like most people here.
Well, he is both the President of the United States and a slimy hot mess. People today are obsessed with Trump like people in the 50s were obsessed with atom bombs.

Oh, hey! Both have the Russians in common, too.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:22 PM   #27
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Wouldn't that be 'Trumpism'?
Well, root words and suffixes. Trumpian would be pertaining to or having a quality of modern American fascism, I suppose.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:54 PM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Let's check back in 2022.

Does McCarthyism, perhaps, ring a bell? Does it refer to liberal/progressive snowflakes who are obsessed with Tail Gunner Joe*? Or does it refer to the hitherto most embarrassing period in US history when pinheads on the right curled up in a little ball, shredded the Constitution and the concept of human decency and allowed a demagogue free rein?

Personally, I don't see the verb "to Trump" replacing the current verbs in common usage (that includes the Brit version). They're too entrenched. I think Trumpism will refer to abject amoral demagoguery with one goal in mind - self aggrandizement.

*Interestingly, like a certain member on these boards, "Tail Gunner Joe" was a self-bestowed nickname to polish his service record where he was an administrative clerk interviewing actual pilots and gunners returning from the war.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:18 PM   #29
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

We ran out of wet blankets so we're trying to cover it with smocking.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:24 PM   #30
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I truly doubt that, no matter where your sympathies lie. It has not tended to be the case. It will refer to Trump and his followers, and that will be true whether he comes down in history as Lincolnesque or McCarthyite, Jeffersonian or Nixonian.

Old 2nd January 2019, 02:08 AM   #31
dann
Philosopher

You have to make the Monty Python allusions much more obvious!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:36 AM   #32
smartcooky
Philosopher

If you don't like it, the Log Out button is in the top right corner of the page just above your username!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:38 AM   #33
smartcooky
Philosopher

If only the title of this thread gave some indication of the content, mgidm86 might have been able to avoid it.

Oh, wait.....

FTFY
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:52 AM   #34
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If you don't like it, the Log Out button is in the top right corner of the page just above your username!
It's behind a really big concrete Wall which is 100% effective.
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:03 AM   #35
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
In 2022, what will be the dictionary definition of Trumpian?
I think it's an Armenian name?
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:40 AM   #36
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Trumpian

pronoun

pronoun: Trumpian; plural Pronoun: Trumpians;

1. the name given to people who were members of the religious cult following of the 45th President of the United States of America - Donald J Trump.

verb
verb: trumpian;

1. to act like a brainwashed cult member; to be Trumpian-like.
2. one who worships another as godlike; omnipotent and all-seeing, can do no wrong.

Last edited by AnonyMoose; 2nd January 2019 at 03:43 AM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:55 AM   #37
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I will vote for "transparently mendacious." When your two year old drops a glass of milk and says "not me," you can say, "Don't be so Trumpian."
This is my favorite.

Like the F-word, it can be used in many ways.

Trumpian:

1. Hyperbolic, misleading and/or false information.

2. Grossly childish and/or bullying behavior.

3. Obsessive tweeting, usually in the wee hours of the morning with little or no
forethought.
Those are all solid.

That is really the noun form, "Trump"

As for american fasicism or cultish, neither amusing nor accurate.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:06 AM   #38
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

But on the plus side, you don't need to buy ipecac!

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:59 AM   #39
ahhell
Graduate Poster

The largest group of voters are independents. We do not even exist in the Master Narrative, only at election time to be told whoever we vote for is actually a vote against whoever we are voting for......
Just one point I wanted to address, the reason independents aren't part of the narrative is that they don't really exist.(in large enough numbers to matter) Polling pretty clearly shows that self labeled independents mostly vote in same patterns as either dems or reps. They tend to sort into conservatives that vote for R's pretty much all the time or liberals that vote for D's pretty much all the time. If they vote at all.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:31 AM   #40
BillC
Bazooka Joe

If you think 'Trumpian' will persist as a positive adjective, this is the thread to predict it.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics