ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:38 AM   #41
BillC
Bazooka Joe

I'm trying to think which post-war American presidents have left us with such an adjective. Although 'Reaganomics' was in currency at one time, it seems to have now all but disappeared.

I could only think of 'Nixonian'; and maybe 'Bushism' for a malapropism. Are there others?
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:11 AM   #42
Minoosh
Philosopher

"Trumpian" just doesn't do it for me as a word. Something about the suffix doesn't work. Like, "Nixonian" works as an adjective but "Clintian" never would for the simple reason that it doesn't roll right off the tongue. "Trumpesque" looks harder but sounds better.

But I don't care. I just want the guy gone and possibly forgotten. I don't even really about criticizing him at this point. Everyone knows what he is; only hoping that more of the country decides that he's not up to the job.

ETA: Maybe I mean "Clintonian," above not "Clintian." I still find "Trumpian" kind of an awkward word, and don't expect it to be in widespread usage after Trump's gone, let alone used widely with a standard definition.

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd January 2019 at 12:46 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:59 AM   #43
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to predict, what with Trump having so many distinctive character traits.
He's a liar the likes of which has never been seen. Trumpian might describe mega-whoppers.

He's infantile the likes of which has never been seen. Trumpian might describe a child throwing a tantrum.

His anti-democratic positions are something this country has never seen. Trumpian might describe wannabe dictators.

His megalomania is at a level that has never been seen. Trumpian might describe imbeciles who think that only they can fix it.
I haven't even exhausted the possibilities!
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:38 PM   #44
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It's hard to predict, what with Trump having so many distinctive character traits.
He's a liar the likes of which has never been seen. Trumpian might describe mega-whoppers.

He's infantile the likes of which has never been seen. Trumpian might describe a child throwing a tantrum.

His anti-democratic positions are something this country has never seen. Trumpian might describe wannabe dictators.

His megalomania is at a level that has never been seen. Trumpian might describe imbeciles who think that only they can fix it.
I haven't even exhausted the possibilities!
It could even be that "Trumpian"will describe a combination of faults the like of which we've never seen before!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 03:57 PM   #45
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Cool a thread solely designed to throw insults. How ISF of you.
Well, if you think it's unfair - how about a positive, believable adjective?

Also, given Trump's penchant for throwing insults and bullying, I'd say he, and his supporters are fair game for insults.

Especially as most of the one's I've seen are simply accurate.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:37 AM   #46
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
This forum is dying because it is part of the old world, the media-driven world, and it was dying before Trump ever ran for office.
What’s dying is a fact-driven government. President Trump and his inner circle have a contempt for the truth. That assertion is backed by hundreds if not thousands of lies. Not careless errors, not simple mistakes, not confused statements, repeated lies. If one makes a false statement and then is given the correct information, then repeating that same false statement is a lie. (I’ll listen to arguments that it is BS instead of lying, but in a court of law, both would be called perjury).

Quote:
Despite being an allegedly skeptical forum, this page most especially is Ad Hominem City.
I emphatically disagree. Ad hominem is a logical flaw in an argument. If someone said, the Senate should not approve President Trump’s ambassador nominations because the president is a documented liar, then that would be an ad hominem: whether or not the president lies is irrelevant to whether or not his nominations are qualified. But to merely say that objective evidence indicates that the president is a frequent liar is NOT an ad hominem.

If a businessman with no engineering experience says, “I know more about infrastructure than anyone in the history of the country.” then it would be perverse to not call the person a liar.

If a secretary of state was appointed by the president and served a full year before saying that the president had to be given explanations of why his proposed policies were illegal, and the president’s response was not something along the lines of “his allegations are baseless,” “he is not recalling our discussions accurately,” “he is mischaracterizing my policies,” but rather was “he’s dumber than a box of rocks.” Then it would be perverse to not label that president as childish.

You can, if you wish, argue that being a habitual liar is not a hindrance to being a good president, but to argue that it is outdated and unskeptical to call this president a liar despite mountains of evidence is bizarre.
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:53 AM   #47
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The definition will be "Godlike", by President-For-Life fiat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics