ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:41 PM   #241
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I think a lot of Trumps really crazy crap came after the election. Hard to remember. She was a loon right out of the gate.
A couple of Trump campaign promises:
Quote:
I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall.
Quote:
Together we’re going to deliver real change that once again puts Americans first. That begins with immediately repealing and replacing the disaster known as Obamacare … You’re going to have such great health care, at a tiny fraction of the cost—and it’s going to be so easy.
Nope, no pie-in-the-sky, economically unrealistic lunacy there at all.

You must have overlooked that on your way to the voting booth.

She appeals to voters on an emotional level. Hate Trump, stick it to the man, I'm young they're dumb, never mind that my ideas are so radical as to be laughable. She represents an idea, that's about it.
Here's you going off on an unhinged, emotional rant about why you voted for Trump:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...l#post11636407

Perhaps you could point out where you mentioned the importance of policy.

Last edited by johnny karate; 6th January 2019 at 01:44 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #242
Matthew Best
Philosopher

How many times are you going to ask what policies of hers people support and then ignore the answers?

Single payer healthcare.
No cites needed for this - everyone knows it's a better system.

70% top rate of tax.
Nobel laureate economist Paul Krugman wrote that Ocasio-Cortez, "far from showing her craziness, is fully in line with serious economic research." Krugman cited Peter Diamond, Nobel laureate in economics "and arguably the world’s leading expert on public finance," and Emmanuel Saez, "one of our leading experts on inequality," who estimated the optimal top tax rate to be 73%. Others estimate it at 80%, wrote Krugman. Because of diminishing marginal utility, "we shouldn’t care what a policy does to the incomes of the very rich. A policy that makes the rich a bit poorer will affect only a handful of people, and will barely affect their life satisfaction, since they will still be able to buy whatever they want." The social benefit that comes from the rich making more money is the amount they pay in taxes, he wrote. In contrast, Republicans believe that tax cuts at the top will have huge beneficial effects on the economy. "The evidence is overwhelmingly against" that "crazy" Republican idea, he wrote, comparing tax rates and growth from 1957 to 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexan...ical_positions
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 01:49 PM   #243
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
A couple of Trump campaign promises:

Nope, no pie-in-the-sky, economically unrealistic lunacy there at all.

You must have overlooked that on your way to the voting booth.

Here's you going off on an unhinged, emotional rant about why you voted for Trump:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...l#post11636407

Perhaps you could point out where you mentioned the importance of policy.
Whoa!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:00 PM   #244
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Whoa!
Yeah, reading that wall of text again after two years really makes it seem completely bonkers.

To be fair, it looked pretty bonkers from the get go, but now... jeez.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:38 PM   #245
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I think a lot of Trumps really crazy crap came after the election. Hard to remember. She was a loon right out of the gate.
Pwah!

Are you kidding me?

Birtherism? "Global Warming is a Chinese Hoax"?, threats to not accept the election results if he didn't get his way? That's barely the tip of the iceberg.

Not to mention, everyone within a 200 mile radius of Atlantic City already knew what a blowhard, egomaniacal business failure he was.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:08 PM   #246
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Pwah!

Are you kidding me?

Birtherism? "Global Warming is a Chinese Hoax"?, threats to not accept the election results if he didn't get his way? That's barely the tip of the iceberg.

Not to mention, everyone within a 200 mile radius of Atlantic City already knew what a blowhard, egomaniacal business failure he was.
Don't forget how he saw thousands of Muslims dancing on rooftops on 9/11.
Then there's the four full page newspaper ads he took out calling for the death penalty for the Central Park Five who were later completely exonerated.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:08 PM   #247
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Pwah!

Are you kidding me?

"Only I can fix it"
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #248
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
How many times are you going to ask what policies of hers people support and then ignore the answers?

Single payer healthcare.
No cites needed for this - everyone knows it's a better system.

70% top rate of tax.
Nobel laureate economist Paul Krugman wrote that Ocasio-Cortez, "far from showing her craziness, is fully in line with serious economic research." Krugman cited Peter Diamond, Nobel laureate in economics "and arguably the world’s leading expert on public finance," and Emmanuel Saez, "one of our leading experts on inequality," who estimated the optimal top tax rate to be 73%. Others estimate it at 80%, wrote Krugman. Because of diminishing marginal utility, "we shouldn’t care what a policy does to the incomes of the very rich. A policy that makes the rich a bit poorer will affect only a handful of people, and will barely affect their life satisfaction, since they will still be able to buy whatever they want." The social benefit that comes from the rich making more money is the amount they pay in taxes, he wrote. In contrast, Republicans believe that tax cuts at the top will have huge beneficial effects on the economy. "The evidence is overwhelmingly against" that "crazy" Republican idea, he wrote, comparing tax rates and growth from 1957 to 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexan...ical_positions

The problem is that many people who argue that a marginal tax rate of 70% is lunacy, probably do not understand what the term "marginal tax rate" actually means.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:16 PM   #249
johnny karate

Pwah!

Are you kidding me?

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Don't forget how he saw thousands of Muslims dancing on rooftops on 9/11.
Then there's the four full page newspaper ads he took out calling for the death penalty for the Central Park Five who were later completely exonerated.
Yes, but in fairness to mgidm86, all of this is apparently “hard to remember”.

Last edited by johnny karate; 6th January 2019 at 03:18 PM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:20 PM   #250
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, but in fairness to mgidm86, all of this is apparently “hard to remember”.

I'm sure Trump wouldn't remember "recall" it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:32 PM   #251
Stacyhs
Philosopher

He never said any of that. It's all Fake News.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:38 PM   #252
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I think a lot of Trumps really crazy crap came after the election. Hard to remember.
The quotes that have been posted call your memory into question. But let's pretend you're right... It's a topsy-turvy world if we're supposed to take solace that the really crazy crap came after he became POTUS. Such is the current context of your scathing criticism of AOC.
Old 6th January 2019, 05:08 PM   #253
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Around the time of the election, one claim from some Trumpers was that he didn't really mean all the insanity & evil he'd already put on display by then, was only doing it to create an image the hicks would like, and would switch to suddenly acting sane & non-evil once he was in office.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:18 PM   #254
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Around the time of the election, one claim from some Trumpers was that he didn't really mean all the insanity & evil he'd already put on display by then, was only doing it to create an image the hicks would like, and would switch to suddenly acting sane & non-evil once he was in office.
That was the ridiculous "Don't take him literally but take him seriously," theory.
Old 6th January 2019, 05:20 PM   #255
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The problem is that many people who argue that a marginal tax rate of 70% is lunacy, probably do not understand what the term "marginal tax rate" actually means.
You're right. The top marginal tax rate in the 1950s was 90%. Kennedy lowered it to 75%. There was more growth during those years than we have seen since.
Old 6th January 2019, 05:26 PM   #256
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Lets try to remember that the young Congresswoman had her clothes on. Her enemy, our current president, we don't know what he was wearing when he watched the Russian hookers pee on each other.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:58 PM   #257
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

These same people simultaneously claimed to like him because he "tells it like it is".
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:11 PM   #258
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yeah, reading that wall of text again after two years really makes it seem completely bonkers.

To be fair, it looked pretty bonkers from the get go, but now... jeez.
But what he wrote was far from a fringe position - it was pretty mainstream among a large bloc of voters. I think it's useful to see his reasons listed. But it makes no sense to say AOC is crazy, then give Trump a pass. If someone doesn't see how inconsistent that is I wonder about the accuracy of their perceptions.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:25 PM   #259
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But what he wrote was far from a fringe position - it was pretty mainstream among a large bloc of voters. I think it's useful to see his reasons listed. But it makes no sense to say AOC is crazy, then give Trump a pass. If someone doesn't see how inconsistent that is I wonder about the accuracy of their perceptions.

It wasn't brought up as an example of a fringe position. It was brought up in response to mgidm86's claim that AOC "appeals to voters on an emotional level." He was clearly implying that such motivation is undesirable, despite admitting to such a motivation two years ago with respect to Trump.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 09:57 PM   #260
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think you are right.

And when it comes down to brass tacks, who really needs more than $10 million a year to live on anyways?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #261
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

We have members here who made that claim and claimed that they were falling back on checks and balances and the separation of powers to restrain any excesses.

Those same members (those who haven't scurried off) are on record afterwards as basically saying "Too bad! I'm getting the conservative courts I wanted and don't care about those other things."

It was all a part of the big con.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 10:19 PM   #262
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think you are right.

And when it comes down to brass tacks, who really needs more than $10 million a year to live on anyways?

You want this guy's family to starve?
Quote:
Last year, Stephen Schwarzman took home $786.5 million from the Blackstone Group, a leading private-equity firm that he co-founded and has run for more than 30 years.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f9e91ffaf784

The rich don't think of money as a means to buy stuff. They use it to keep score, the more the better. There is no upper limit.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th January 2019 at 10:21 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 10:29 PM   #263
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

The rich don't think of money as a means to buy stuff. They use it to keep score, the more the better. There is no upper limit.
I doubt that they'd starve on $246 Million instead.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 6th January 2019 at 10:30 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 11:17 PM   #264
Lurch
Muse

Trump is getting crazier, with no sign of slowing down.

AOC probably let her youthful naivete get the better of her, and could well temper her enthusiasms with experience.

I feel less concern for the intemperate notions of a freshman member of Congress than I do for the intemperate notions of the already President. The latter wields considerably more power and influence, and can do a shedload more damage.

Folks who get their knickers in a twist over AOC, to the point that they see her as more worthy of outrage than the temper tantrum toddler in-chief, really have some upside-down thinking going on.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 12:24 AM   #265
Bob001
Philosopher

Here's how free college works in Chicago. Maybe not so crazy.
Quote:
If a student at a local public high school maintains a B average, the City will provide a free associate’s degree at a local community college, regardless of immigration status. Then, through a program we call Star Plus, students who have maintained that 3.0 GPA are eligible to receive subsidized tuition at 18 of the four-year colleges located in Chicago, enabling many to graduate debt-free.
If students in grades nine to 12 know that good grades will earn them a guaranteed free education, they’re further incentivized to run through the tape. (Chicago’s high-school graduation rate grew from 56.9 percent in 2011 to 78.2 percent in 2018.) Second, we theorized that making the scholarship merit-based would help the program avoid the plague of college dropouts—and that’s exactly what’s happened. Chicago Star’s retention rate is 86 percent, well above the national average of 62.7 percent.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ollege/579319/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:17 AM   #266
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Remember when Trump lied about how wealthy he was by falsely claiming his father's property as his own just so he could get on the Forbes 400 list? That is the kind of mentality you're talking about.
Old 7th January 2019, 06:31 AM   #267
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That was something I was more afraid of than hopeful for. Right after he got the nomination one strong possibility I did consider was that the GOP, now that they had Trump's core "Cult of Personality" voters locked in, were going to reel him in and groom him for more mainstream conservatives.

Let's just say I was.... off about that. And the fact that that wasn't necessary for the win took me, as many, completely by surprise.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 07:50 AM   #268
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I will concede I may have misread your post but it really did seem self contradictory. It seems as though you clarified a bit later.

The last line was a generic response to several posters including yourself that seemed to take for granted that trump voters were dimwits and also that Obama voters could not possible vote for him on account of his bad ideas. Based on your clarification, its seems you are not in that camp.
We've sorted this out so it's all moot. I do want to point out however, there's nothing contradictory in what I wrote. I suspect you would agree if you re-read.
Old 7th January 2019, 07:54 AM   #269
Cayvmann2
New Blood

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Brace yourself before watching:

No, really, that's gone viral because . It...hasn't worked.
Was it the dancing, or the fact that she went to college?
Cayvmann2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:18 AM   #270
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
What's even more remarkable is the extent to which you're jumping to hasty conclusions. I readily concede that ill-informed dimwits voted for Obama. Next time, ask for clarification before you step up on that soapbox.
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I suspect you're correct. There are lots of shallow dimwits who respond to superficiality, never mind substance.

For a Trump voter to support AOC makes no sense. She opposes everything Trump stands for. For an Obama voter to support Trump makes no sense. Trump opposes everything Obama stands for.

We saw this in 2016 when Trump and Bernie both appealed to a certain demographic. A demographic that was moved by an angry white man, diametrically opposing policies be damned.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy her on this video!
Having reread the original post, I believe I misinterpreted it. I apologize to Varwoche for my earlier rash response.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:25 AM   #271
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Regardless this entire thing has done exactly what it was meant to do by the tribes, gives a meaningless symbolic nothing that nobody was actually concerned about that hang over the head of AOC forever and ever.

Now snarky jokes and comments about "dancing" will be the by-proxy way all discussions of anything; good or bad, from supporters or detractors, related AOC will be framed from now until the end of time.

Every time a Republican criticisms AOC for anything; valid or invalid, there will be a snarky joke about dancing. Every time a Democrat praises AOC, valid or invalid, there will be a snarky joke about dancing.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 7th January 2019 at 08:27 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:57 AM   #272
dann
Philosopher

I don't know ...
This performance didn't seem to stick, and many Republicans find it adorable, too. Some of the comments actually think that he could sing!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:52 AM   #273
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Regardless this entire thing has done exactly what it was meant to do by the tribes, gives a meaningless symbolic nothing that nobody was actually concerned about that hang over the head of AOC forever and ever.

Now snarky jokes and comments about "dancing" will be the by-proxy way all discussions of anything; good or bad, from supporters or detractors, related AOC will be framed from now until the end of time.

Every time a Republican criticisms AOC for anything; valid or invalid, there will be a snarky joke about dancing. Every time a Democrat praises AOC, valid or invalid, there will be a snarky joke about dancing.
I'm unconvinced. I don't see much evidence that anyone outside of the perpetual outrage circle, the very innermost circle even, has even noticed this "controversy". I wouldn't know about except for this thread, it hasn't even shown up in my facebook feeds.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #274
johnny karate

This dancing video thing is definitely a tempest in a teapot, but there is a larger narrative being addressed in this thread that is certainly worthy of discussion.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:00 AM   #275
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The stupidest man on the internet is on the case of "common nicknames for Alexandria." It's really telling that in the age of Trump that's an outlet that gets White House press credentials.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 10:12 AM   #276
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This dancing video thing is definitely a tempest in a teapot, but there is a larger narrative being addressed in this thread that is certainly worthy of discussion.
I'm really starting to hate the term "narrative."

Reality does not have a separate story being told on top of it.

So basically "Well no, no actual Republican in any sort of positions of power or influence has said anything yet about the AOC dancing video... but doesn't it just seem like the sort of thing they'd get upset about? Can't you just... imagine them doing it?"

And again eventually the "I bet there's some outrage somewhere I just have to find it" will create outrage and the whole thing will be a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:25 AM   #277
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
The stupidest man on the internet is on the case of "common nicknames for Alexandria." It's really telling that in the age of Trump that's an outlet that gets White House press credentials.
Christ, poor old SMOTI is copping a fair shellacking over this one.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:33 AM   #278
catsmate
No longer the 1

The fact that people voted for her is beyond sick.
The fact that people voted to make Trump the US's Molester-in-Chief is sickening.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 10:40 AM   #279
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I still don't get why people are confusing lols with outrage. Are we to believe that there is outrage over Fiji Water Girl?
Old 7th January 2019, 10:43 AM   #280
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
A 70% top rate of tax.

You can read about it here:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tez-70-percent
An excellent idea.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics