IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2022, 02:26 PM   #161
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I'm quite aware of the historic reason, and no doubt those like Warp12 would point out that the current issue of birthright citizenship goes beyond it, but there it is. It's there until it is not.

Of course if enough people get together they can change the Constitution, and then start deporting the children of illegals or of those suspected of being illegal, and eventually the children of the children of illegals to countries they have never been to, and anybody whose parents' papers weren't in order or whose hospitals didn't fill out the forms right, or whose parents' status was uncertain, or who were adopted but not soon enough, and then they can bitch about the expense and curtailment of freedom that makes every birth more bureaucratic and more expensive and requires a legal and appeal process to work even halfway efficiently. And of course there will be a few mistakes, as there already are in border towns where citizens are deported or threatened with it, but you can't make an omelette etc.

And it will all be worth it in the ongoing struggle to make our country the great again banana republic it so longs to be.
You misspelled "empty". Every single human in the USA came from somewhere else, including native Americans at some point, almost every single one "without papers". Removing them and all their ancestors because the ancestors were not legal means effectively everyone must go.

Yes, it's a silly argument. But then the notion of deportation of US-born children of "illegals" of personally despised races and cultures while others are considered acceptable is also a silly notion.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 05:10 PM   #162
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Bad translation, bud.

Is this an indirect way of calling me a racist?
I like how after openly admitting that you donít care about certain children, being labeled a racist is what concerns you.

Sure, I lack human empathy, but donít you dare suggest itís because of racism!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2022, 07:35 PM   #163
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

I read the title of this thread and it just seems like USA is going down the toilet. I do wonder if they keep going to the Christian right we will start to see educated people leave on principle (we are not talking about right wing politics per se here are we. This is essentially fascist ideology. Ban the gays, label some other cultures and people inferior, stop abortion, remove public intellectuals etc etc)

Less education means more idiots the rich Trumps and Bannon's of this world can manipulate.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:18 AM   #164
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I read the title of this thread and it just seems like USA is going down the toilet. I do wonder if they keep going to the Christian right we will start to see educated people leave on principle (we are not talking about right wing politics per se here are we. This is essentially fascist ideology. Ban the gays, label some other cultures and people inferior, stop abortion, remove public intellectuals etc etc)

Less education means more idiots the rich Trumps and Bannon's of this world can manipulate.
One of the weaknesses of the US is its federal structure. The degree of autonomy the states have make it very difficult to achieve things on a national level.

One of the strengths of the US is its federal structure. The degree of autonomy the states have make it very difficult to **** things up on a national level.

If those states which lean most Fundamentalist Christian make life too uncomfortable for minorities, women and the well educated then they have the option to move to states where they are less discriminated against. That's scant comfort for those who are unable to move but at least it does provide some hope.

Some states, like Texas, may have economies so strong that people are still persuaded to live there despite the laws that are in force but in those cases I could envisage locally tolerant authorities.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 12:02 PM   #165
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So this is a question for Warp12, or anyone who shares his ideas.

Imagine for a moment that you could rewrite the law and the constitutional provision.

Must both parents be legal or only one?

What would be the mechanism for determination?

What exceptions would be granted?

Would there be a statute of limitations? Assuming this law goes on for a while, and that we don't become a complete police state, eventually there will be native-born persons of dubious legality giving birth, and so on. To what country would their children, and their children's children, belong?

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 01:05 PM   #166
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think once the parent becomes president the child is no longer an anchor baby.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 05:57 PM   #167
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

While looking up something else, I found this Mark Twain quote:
Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other.
Old 17th May 2022, 08:21 PM   #168
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Well, they privatized the jails, now they have to close the schools to fill them and get rich.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 08:30 PM   #169
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
While looking up something else, I found this Mark Twain quote:
Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other.
I've seen something like that as a bumper sticker, but trust Twain to have said it first and better.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics