IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:59 PM   #1041
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
My ticket about my timesheet problem has been updated to state that they "suspect I am hovering over the wrong application."

I am not hovering over the wrong application, and have said so

“Well, if you’re hovering over the application we provided, it’s definitely not the right one!”

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 12th May 2022, 06:51 PM   #1042
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Here's a new one for me. An email where someone refers to their browser as "Internet Edge". Yes, capitalised.
Old 12th May 2022, 07:01 PM   #1043
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Here's a new one for me. An email where someone refers to their browser as "Internet Edge". Yes, capitalised.
Makes sense I guess, they've been having to distinguish between Microsoft Explorer and Microsoft Internet Explorer for a long time.

(Note that people would usually say 'Explorer' and 'Internet Explorer' I've added the MS bit so that readers don't think I'm referring to any of the other things called Explorer)

Quite common where I work, "I can see the folder in Explorer, but I can't see any files"
Old 12th May 2022, 07:03 PM   #1044
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Do you mean File Explorer?
Old 13th May 2022, 01:03 AM   #1045
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So. 4:35pm on a Friday afternoon and all of our phone systems go down. The poor guy with the on-call phone is being smashed.
Old 13th May 2022, 02:08 AM   #1046
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

So. 4:35pm on a Friday afternoon and all of our phone systems go down. The poor guy with the on-call phone is being smashed.
That sort of violence is not going to help get the phone system back up.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2022, 03:36 AM   #1047
Wudang
BOFH

If it was me, I'd be getting quietly smashed.
Old 15th May 2022, 07:55 PM   #1048
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Monday morning and we're onboarding an entirely new agency onto our network. 150ish users in all, all of which are unfamiliar with our environment, procedures, or methods. Fortunately, I'm on VoIP this week so I don't have to deal with the calls.

I just have to deal with tickets like this:

Quote:
ISSUE:
Clients incoming calls Cisico through Jabber

TROUBLESHOOTING:
Promoted client to reboot Jabber, and then to sign in, issue persists
Advised client o sign out of Cisco finesse, and log back in, Issue persists
This is real Chronicles of George stuff, here.
Old 15th May 2022, 08:38 PM   #1049
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: "it's complicated, I'll look into it and let you know" is the support equivalent of "we need to talk". You're not getting your request. I already know it, the function of the delay is to let this realization sink in for you.
Old 15th May 2022, 09:04 PM   #1050
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dear User: "it's complicated, I'll look into it and let you know" is the support equivalent of "we need to talk". You're not getting your request. I already know it, the function of the delay is to let this realization sink in for you.
"That's a tricky request. We will need to evaluate it and talk to your manager about possible cost-center expenses..."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 02:51 AM   #1051
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

How much disk space will we need for this application, theres a spreadsheet provided by the application support.

It comes to about 5GB with a good deal of padding. Hmmm, I'll say 20GB to CYA.

The guy who reviews it says I'll make it 50GB to CYA.

The project manager calls it 100GB, just to CYA.

This is ridiculous, I say.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2022, 07:22 PM   #1052
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, that's the same thing really as when lifts (elevators) have a sign saying "Max capacity 20 people" when you can realistically fit only about 12.
Old 17th May 2022, 07:34 PM   #1053
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Well, that's the same thing really as when lifts (elevators) have a sign saying "Max capacity 20 people" when you can realistically fit only about 12.
You just have to compress them more

On disk space, though, storage is like, the cheapest thing on a new system these days. And it's almost ALWAYS underestimated. I don't have much problem with adding more, unless it's like crazy big.

I dunno if I'd allocate much less than 50GB to anything, so 100 doesn't seem tooo crazy.
Old 18th May 2022, 01:44 AM   #1054
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In this country they do also have a kg limit, which considering how we are all getting fatter is better than a number of people! Perhaps there should be built in scales in lifts in the future?
Old 18th May 2022, 04:38 AM   #1055
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They do have a built in scale. They just won't move when they are too heavy.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 05:04 AM   #1056
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Also known as (if my memory serves) as the overload switch.
Old 18th May 2022, 05:59 AM   #1057
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
But wouldn't it be more fun with it being displayed to all involved!
Old 18th May 2022, 09:07 AM   #1058
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why are we talking about system memory in the fat shaming thread?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2022, 08:15 PM   #1059
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

One at a time, please!
Old 19th May 2022, 08:11 AM   #1060
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear Coworker: yes, you caught a minor mistake I made in something I did two years ago! Congratulations, you've earned a cookie. What you haven't earned is the right to hunt for more errors and run crowing to my boss when you imagine you've found them. Because after that first error you're not actually finding any: the second thing you found isn't an error, it was intentional to meet the specs which you never read; the third thing isn't an error because the situation you imagine it might be erroneous in can never actually occur; the fourth thing you thought was an error was you misreading the code and mistaking one set of fields for another. I can't wait to see what exciting fifth thing you imagine you'll find. And you will keep on looking because my boss hasn't been excited with your finds so far, even the first one because it was after all a very minor error in a very minor portion of a rather unimportant piece of work. If you imagine you're winning points and I'm losing them you are much mistaken -- you're irritating my boss and making yourself look like you have nothing to do.
Old 19th May 2022, 07:12 PM   #1061
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Maybe they do have nothing to do and they're just trying to make themself look busy.
Old 19th May 2022, 11:33 PM   #1062
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dear Coworker: yes, you caught a minor mistake I made in something I did two years ago! Congratulations, you've earned a cookie. What you haven't earned is the right to hunt for more errors and run crowing to my boss when you imagine you've found them. Because after that first error you're not actually finding any: the second thing you found isn't an error, it was intentional to meet the specs which you never read; the third thing isn't an error because the situation you imagine it might be erroneous in can never actually occur; the fourth thing you thought was an error was you misreading the code and mistaking one set of fields for another. I can't wait to see what exciting fifth thing you imagine you'll find. And you will keep on looking because my boss hasn't been excited with your finds so far, even the first one because it was after all a very minor error in a very minor portion of a rather unimportant piece of work. If you imagine you're winning points and I'm losing them you are much mistaken -- you're irritating my boss and making yourself look like you have nothing to do.
Keeping someone off the streets, I suppose. Until your boss arranges for it to be otherwise...
Old 19th May 2022, 11:53 PM   #1063
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Whether we get a new government over the weekend or not, I am bracing for a MOG.

MOG is "Machinery Of Government". Essentially, the government announces a bunch of changes to the structure of the Public Service, and we have to make it happen as fast as possible. MOGs are messy and difficult, all the moreso because we have no idea what it's going to look like until we're told. The entire structure of our department might change. And since we cover two major government departments, elements of two or three more, and a host of smaller agencies, we're definitely going to be affected by it.

But there's absolutely nothing anyone can do to prepare for it, so there's no point in being anxious about it. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.
Old 20th May 2022, 06:24 PM   #1064
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yeah, the number of people never matches the number of kilograms, unless you're talking about pretty small people. Take me for example, 120 kg, There's heaps of people on my floor that are taller, fitter and heavier than me. (I'm only 189 cm tall).
Old 20th May 2022, 06:28 PM   #1065
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Disk space is fun. I think our daily log files are probably bigger than the sizes you're mentioning.

A lot of our logs cut over hourly to prevent the files from becoming unmanageable. (Especially the audit logs). Typically we manage file space in terabytes.

The application database is also measured in terabytes...

(And yes, the audit databases are separate to the application databases).
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #1066
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We're sitting here just waiting to find out how the new government is going to mix things up.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #1067
catsmate
No longer the 1

We're sitting here just waiting to find out how the new government is going to mix things up.
Ah, the joys of departmental reorganisations, more letterhead paper and brass plaques.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:02 AM   #1068
catsmate
No longer the 1

Ah, the joys of departmental reorganisations, more letterhead paper and brass plaques.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:08 AM   #1069
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Yeah, we call it a MOG (Machinery of Government). And these days it's all about metadata, access to information, and delegations. At least for us in IT.

It'll probably be a couple of days before we know what's going to change, because the new Prime Minister went immediately to Japan for Quad.
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #1070
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yeah, we call it a MOG (Machinery of Government). And these days it's all about metadata, access to information, and delegations. At least for us in IT.

It'll probably be a couple of days before we know what's going to change, because the new Prime Minister went immediately to Japan for Quad.
We have the "Gaeltacht" department, which gets renamed by most new governments. It's currently the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media but has been renamed or remit changed on average every fourteen months since it was founded.
That's a lot of waste stationery.
Old Today, 03:48 AM   #1071
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
We have the "Gaeltacht" department, which gets renamed by most new governments. It's currently the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media but has been renamed or remit changed on average every fourteen months since it was founded.
That's a lot of waste stationery.
Classic example of the Bikeshed effect.
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #1072
catsmate
No longer the 1

Classic example of the Bikeshed effect.
Well it's not just Parkinsonism, there's also the necessity to emphasise that the government is taking <STUFF> seriously by having it in a departmental title. Hence DoTCAGSM. Or DoCEDIY and DoFaHERIS.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet