IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion laws , political predictions , prediction thread , Roe v. Wade

View Poll Results: When will Roe v Wade be overturned
Before 31 December 2020 20 19.61%
Before 31 December 2022 20 19.61%
Before 31 December 2024 9 8.82%
SCOTUS will not pick a case up 16 15.69%
SCOTUS will pick it up and decline to overturn 37 36.27%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st May 2022, 04:56 PM   #1961
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
It's the trolley problem, in part. Lack of action (not donating bone marrow) is seen as more morally acceptable than taking an action (getting an abortion).
You're taking an action either way with the trolley problem (flipping a switch vs. pushing fatso off the bridge). The difference in intuitions probably comes from a greater sense of involvement.

There is something to the idea that people view omission and commission differently, but there's also something to the idea that we shouldn't. There are plenty of examples where we see omission leading to death as unacceptably negligent (caring for children is an obvious one).

Personally, I don't see much moral difference between killing someone and not saving them when you can. Much has been made in this thread about the fact that a fetus is "uniquely" dependent on its mother, but why is that relevant? What is it about the fact that other people could donate a kidney (but generally don't, and certainly not in sufficient numbers to meet the need) that frees those of us who can from the obligation to do so?
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM   #1962
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do you happen to have any data on the number of abortions performed every year, on patients who did not understand how they got pregnant?
I suspect it is not a case of "I did not know sex leads to babies" and more a case of people having wrong information about birth control. (E.g. I didn't think you needed birth control the first time, this used McDonald hamburger wrapper can be used as a makeshift condom, etc)

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #1963
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I suspect it is not a case of "I did not know sex leads to babies" and more a case of people having wrong information about birth control. (E.g. I didn't think you needed birth control the first time, this used McDonald hamburger wrapper can be used as a makeshift condom, etc)

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
Okay, so do you have any data on that?
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1964
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Oh, how these discussions evolve.. keeps me coming back.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #1965
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
You're taking an action either way with the trolley problem (flipping a switch vs. pushing fatso off the bridge). The difference in intuitions probably comes from a greater sense of involvement.

There is something to the idea that people view omission and commission differently, but there's also something to the idea that we shouldn't. There are plenty of examples where we see omission leading to death as unacceptably negligent (caring for children is an obvious one).

Personally, I don't see much moral difference between killing someone and not saving them when you can. Much has been made in this thread about the fact that a fetus is "uniquely" dependent on its mother, but why is that relevant? What is it about the fact that other people could donate a kidney (but generally don't, and certainly not in sufficient numbers to meet the need) that frees those of us who can from the obligation to do so?
There's a version of the trolley problem in which 1 victim dies if you throw the railway track switch, and multiple victims dies if you don't throw the switch (IIRC). That's the first one outlined at Wikipedia.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #1966
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
There's a version of the trolley problem in which 1 victim dies if you throw the railway track switch, and multiple victims dies if you don't throw the switch (IIRC). That's the first one outlined at Wikipedia.
Right. And people overwhelmingly feel that throwing the switch is the right thing to do when surveyed. Meaning the problem doesn't really have much to do with omission vs. commission.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #1967
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Right. And people overwhelmingly feel that throwing the switch is the right thing to do when surveyed. Meaning the problem doesn't really have much to do with omission vs. commission.
Except for those who are not in the 90% who would take the action to save more people. But point taken.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #1968
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Okay, so do you have any data on that?
You're either being deliberately disingenuous or outright trolling.

We know from decades of experience across multiple countries and continents that the best way to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies is education and access to birth control.
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #1969
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
You're either being deliberately disingenuous or outright trolling.

We know from decades of experience across multiple countries and continents that the best way to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies is education and access to birth control.
There's also a connection between abortion restrictions and increased maternal mortality around childbirth. Of course, correlation does not imply causation & the causality here is more likely that the same "pro-life" forces that capture state governments to lead to increasing abortion restrictions are also hostile toward the provision of other types of health care for women.

https://www.salon.com/2021/04/19/the-link-between-americas-rising-maternal-mortality-rates-and-abortion/:

Quote:
The authors of the Contraception paper stressed to Salon that it's not as simple as women dying because they wanted an abortion and couldn't get one, though there is strong evidence that women in this situation suffer worse health outcomes than women who are able to abort unwanted pregnancies. It's also likely that, as the paper explains, "states that restrict abortion may have broader hostility towards women's health."

Dr. Amy Addante, an OB-GYN and co-author of the paper, explained to Salon that "they are not prioritizing things that have been demonstrated to lower maternal mortality." Instead of "improving access to care, not just, obstetrics care, but contraceptive care," Addante noted, the legislatures are "really prioritizing passing anti-abortion legislation."

Indeed, the same legislatures that are keen on gutting abortion access are also happy to make birth control harder to get, even though, as Addante noted, "unplanned pregnancies are at increased risk of adverse outcomes." In Texas, for instance, the anti-abortion legislature has also spent years slashing family planning programs, and even redirected funds that used to go to birth control services to shady anti-contraception groups. Texas also happens to be one of the states that has rising maternal mortality rates.

As Dr. Hoofnagle pointed out, restrictions on abortion close down clinics that were part of the larger "safety net" offering affordable services like birth control and other reproductive health care. For instance, the Donald Trump administration cut funding to 900 reproductive health care clinics, using the fact that those clinics acknowledge that abortion is legitimate health care as an excuse. Similar assaults on abortion access have shuttered Planned Parenthood and other low-cost clinics across the country.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2021.03.018

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events