IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 19th February 2021, 12:15 PM   #1881
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Thank you for evidence rather than assertion.

Well you have left yourself wide open here arth, with your continued assertion that not many dioceses would have been affected, and that child abuse is not that common.
Old 20th February 2021, 01:06 PM   #1882
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Happy for you to do your own research. The research I’ve done means I am confident in concluding that at the level of Bishops it was not a minority that was involved in the conspiracy.

That lines up with what I have read also. Why our own George Pell was up to his neck in the conspiracy according to the accounts of others. "Not all that interested", however, was his jaw dropping explanation for his lack of action, as well as his "what will it take to shut you up", to a victim.
Old 21st February 2021, 10:34 PM   #1883
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well you have left yourself wide open here arth, with your continued assertion that not many dioceses would have been affected, and that child abuse is not that common.
Well that was my impression. Now that I've seen something in the way of evidence, I am open to reconsidering.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:40 PM   #1884
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well that was my impression. Now that I've seen something in the way of evidence, I am open to reconsidering.

Most commendable of you arth.

Some here will never admit to being wrong and continue arguing under water.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:43 PM   #1885
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thank you for evidence rather than assertion.
I told you where the evidence was….
Old 22nd February 2021, 03:25 PM   #1886
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Most commendable of you arth.

Some here will never admit to being wrong and continue arguing under water.
I have always considered myself open to reasonable evidence. In this case, it appears that in the US at least, more dioceses had abuse problems than I was aware of. I was genuinely under the impression that it was a much smaller proportion than that.

And while 4% is a large number of clergy in absolute terms, it is still a small proportion of the total. So I still don't think it's fair to accuse all, or even a majority, of priests of being abusers. I don't suppose that we have a percentage of clergy that was aware of the 4% and didn't act properly.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 22nd February 2021 at 03:27 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:52 PM   #1887
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The study also concluded that four percent of priests engaged in sexual abuse. Four percent is a big number.
If you think that's a big number...

Statistics about sexual violence
Quote:
Sexual violence in the U.S.

One in five women and one in 71 men will be raped at some point in their lives

8% of rapes occur while the victim is at work

Child sexual abuse

One in four girls and one in six boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18 years old

34% of people who sexually abuse a child are family members

Only 12% of child sexual abuse is reported to the authorities

Campus Sexual assault

One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college.

More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault.

63.3% of men at one university who self-reported acts qualifying as rape or attempted rape admitted to committing repeat rapes
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:19 PM   #1888
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Four percent is a big number in absolute terms as I said. The actual numbers are hard to determine because it's complicated, but the best estimates I've been able to find suggest that there are 466,215 members of the Catholic ecclesiastical hierarchy worldwide. If America has a typical rate of abusive priests - 4% as has been suggested - this means that there are actually eighteen and a half thousand child abusers currently unaccountable to the law. That's a lot.

Add to that the number of people who were aware of the abuse and did not act appropriately, or who were complicit in their silence, that's even more.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 22nd February 2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: corrected numbers due to more research
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:53 PM   #1889
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

From the Department of Not Helping:

Former NSW Labor official and Catholic priest Peter Hansen admits to exploiting dozens of child sex abuse victims

Quote:
A former Catholic priest has admitted to a judge he exploited vulnerable children in poor Asian countries, after pleading guilty to dozens of child sexual offences.

Peter Andrew Hansen was arrested in October 2018 at Sydney Airport on his way back from Vietnam.

Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers conducted a search warrant at his home in Cabramatta in Sydney's south-west.

The 63-year-old has admitted to more than 30 offences, including possessing and distributing child exploitation material and sexual intercourse with children.

The NSW District Court has heard the offending took place in Vietnam and the Philippines.
Ugh. I need a shower.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:00 PM   #1890
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

The poor Pope is trying very hard.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pope-fr...st-11613826965

Quote:
ROME—Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Cardinal Robert Sarah as head of the Vatican’s office for liturgy, removing an outspoken conservative and possible future pope from the ranks of Vatican leadership.

The Holy See Press Office announced Saturday that Cardinal Sarah had stepped down.

. . . . .

In accepting Cardinal Sarah’s resignation, the pope has removed a subordinate out of step with his approach to liturgy, homosexuality and relations with the Muslim world. The cardinal is a hero to many conservative Catholics, some of whom see him as a future pontiff.
Too many centuries to unwind.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:55 PM   #1891
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I understand a lot of the offending priests went to Fiji and other Pacific island nations.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:54 PM   #1892
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
The poor Pope is trying very hard.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pope-fr...st-11613826965

Too many centuries to unwind.

What the RCC needs is a step back into the past. Those who disagree with the boss don't just get a DCM, they get burnt at the stake.

And this black Cardinal dude even had aspirations of becoming Pope himself, it is reported! I wonder how that would go down in with western Catholics?

it would seem the RCC is not only getting heaps of flack from outside, but is internally haemorrhaging as well.
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:42 AM   #1893
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I have always considered myself open to reasonable evidence. In this case, it appears that in the US at least, more dioceses had abuse problems than I was aware of. I was genuinely under the impression that it was a much smaller proportion than that.

And while 4% is a large number of clergy in absolute terms, it is still a small proportion of the total. So I still don't think it's fair to accuse all, or even a majority, of priests of being abusers. I don't suppose that we have a percentage of clergy that was aware of the 4% and didn't act properly.
OF course it means that anyone in a positions of management of more than 25 people is almost certain to be in charge of an abuser. That pretty much shows that the vast majority of the leadership is complicit.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:40 PM   #1894
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
OF course it means that anyone in a positions of management of more than 25 people is almost certain to be in charge of an abuser. That pretty much shows that the vast majority of the leadership is complicit.

That would seem to be the obvious situation I suppose.

I wonder how the 4% figure is arrived at. Somewhere along the line it is being assumed that so many exposed cases means so many more total cases. I wonder how an assumption like this is made?
Old 23rd February 2021, 01:12 PM   #1895
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What the RCC needs is a step back into the past. Those who disagree with the boss don't just get a DCM, they get burnt at the stake.

And this black Cardinal dude even had aspirations of becoming Pope himself, it is reported! I wonder how that would go down in with western Catholics?

it would seem the RCC is not only getting heaps of flack from outside, but is internally haemorrhaging as well.
The RCC has pretty much lost Europe, yet is still gaining strength in many African countries, if it tries to “modernise” it is likely to split as the African side of the church is unlikely to go along with the reforms. You only have to look at the problem the much looser held Anglican Church has had with reforms and the push back from African congregations.
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:44 PM   #1896
Thor 2
Philosopher

The RCC has pretty much lost Europe, yet is still gaining strength in many African countries, if it tries to “modernise” it is likely to split as the African side of the church is unlikely to go along with the reforms. You only have to look at the problem the much looser held Anglican Church has had with reforms and the push back from African congregations.

Do you have any theories to explain the conservative leaning in the African Churches?
Old 23rd February 2021, 03:01 PM   #1897
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Those societies are socially conservative?
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:15 PM   #1898
Thor 2
Philosopher

Then how come they are socially conservative?

As we know the white man came to Africa with the Bible and taught the religion to the natives. White men were the source of knowledge. When did the natives decide they knew the message with more clarity than the teachers?

I find it confounding.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:32 PM   #1899
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Then how come they are socially conservative?

As we know the white man came to Africa with the Bible and taught the religion to the natives. White men were the source of knowledge. When did the natives decide they knew the message with more clarity than the teachers?

I find it confounding.
Who said they were socially conservative?

I say they are less educated and low income. And several other related factors are poor. This drives them to religion.
Old 24th February 2021, 01:45 PM   #1900
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post

Who said they were socially conservative?

I say they are less educated and low income. And several other related factors are poor. This drives them to religion.

Darat suggested it.

What confounds me is the apparent rejection of the current directions from the West. After all the original source of the religious instruction.
Old 24th February 2021, 08:42 PM   #1901
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Darat suggested it.

What confounds me is the apparent rejection of the current directions from the West. After all the original source of the religious instruction.
I can only really speak to Uganda, Kenya and the Great Lakes Region. However, you have to look at religion like a buffet in that part of Africa. The church forms to backbone of social life and many people spend all day Sunday at Church or social events afterward. Many people though find no contradiction in following traditional animistic religions as well. One impacts your soul, one impacts your life today. People tend to take the parts they like of each and discard the rest. Or, they will blend the two with animistic beliefs adapted to Christianity.

I'm not confounded at all by the rejection of directions from the West. It's kind of what they've been doing for a long time. Take what you want from the religion buffet and leave what you don't like.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 09:32 PM   #1902
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I can only really speak to Uganda, Kenya and the Great Lakes Region. However, you have to look at religion like a buffet in that part of Africa. The church forms to backbone of social life and many people spend all day Sunday at Church or social events afterward. Many people though find no contradiction in following traditional animistic religions as well. One impacts your soul, one impacts your life today. People tend to take the parts they like of each and discard the rest. Or, they will blend the two with animistic beliefs adapted to Christianity.

I'm not confounded at all by the rejection of directions from the West. It's kind of what they've been doing for a long time. Take what you want from the religion buffet and leave what you don't like.
That is, in fact, how voodoo started.

The other thing about Africa is that there are competing versions of Christianity there. The first colonial church was the Roman Catholics, but more recently there has been a veritable invasion of American-style evangelical Pentecostals heading over there too.
Old 26th February 2021, 06:02 PM   #1903
Thor 2
Philosopher

The other thing about Africa is that there are competing versions of Christianity there. The first colonial church was the Roman Catholics, but more recently there has been a veritable invasion of American-style evangelical Pentecostals heading over there too.

Yes the Americans have a flair for creating new Christian flavours and selling them to the World.

Non of the above however, answers my question about why senior African Catholics are more conservative, than the Catholics in the country where the religion originated.
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:36 AM   #1904
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Are you sure? Would have thought it would have been a Protestant church of some description?
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:45 AM   #1905
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I guess it depends who colonised a particular bit first
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 03:16 AM   #1906
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Yeah - embarrassingly whilst I have a good idea of our colonisation of what is now the USA, Canada and India I don’t have a clue of the dates of our colonisation of countries and territories in Africa. And that’s despite spending part of my childhood in two post-colonial African countries (Algeria and Nigeria).
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:57 PM   #1907
attempt5001
Muse

Yes the Americans have a flair for creating new Christian flavours and selling them to the World.

Non of the above however, answers my question about why senior African Catholics are more conservative, than the Catholics in the country where the religion originated.
Hi Thor2 (and others). Been a long time, hope you are well.
I have a little experience with the history of this in the Anglican church. The impression I got there was that the leaders of churches in Africa felt they were staying true to the original faith they had accepted and promoted, and that the North American churches were succumbing to social pressures as they shifted towards more liberal viewpoints.
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 05:11 PM   #1908
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by attempt5001 View Post
Hi Thor2 (and others). Been a long time, hope you are well.
I have a little experience with the history of this in the Anglican church. The impression I got there was that the leaders of churches in Africa felt they were staying true to the original faith they had accepted and promoted, and that the North American churches were succumbing to social pressures as they shifted towards more liberal viewpoints.

Hi attempt5001 and welcome back.

Yes I suppose I can see some logic in what you are saying. How do you think Western Catholics would react to a black Pope? The church is already importing priests from Africa to Australia I have read, as recruitment here is very slow.
Old 4th March 2021, 06:20 AM   #1909
attempt5001
Muse

Hi attempt5001 and welcome back.

Yes I suppose I can see some logic in what you are saying. How do you think Western Catholics would react to a black Pope? The church is already importing priests from Africa to Australia I have read, as recruitment here is very slow.
Thanks Thor2. I'm not sure. I remember Bishop Desmond Tutu being very respected within the Toronto Diocese of the Anglican church, and while there would have no doubt been some detractors, I think he would have been broadly supported at the highest levels of leadership in that group. I haven't been part of the Anglican church in over 20 years though, so my perspective is outdated and I'm not too familiar with the Catholic church in either Canada or the US. These sorts of situations create interesting "bedfellows" though eh? Some conservatives may be more prone to holding onto discriminatory ideas, yet find themselves more aligned with the African church than their own local church on issues they consider non-negotiable.

More generally, and not surprisingly, claims of infallibility make change very difficult to navigate
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 02:04 PM   #1910
Thor 2
Philosopher

Thanks Thor2. I'm not sure. I remember Bishop Desmond Tutu being very respected within the Toronto Diocese of the Anglican church, and while there would have no doubt been some detractors, I think he would have been broadly supported at the highest levels of leadership in that group. I haven't been part of the Anglican church in over 20 years though, so my perspective is outdated and I'm not too familiar with the Catholic church in either Canada or the US. These sorts of situations create interesting "bedfellows" though eh? Some conservatives may be more prone to holding onto discriminatory ideas, yet find themselves more aligned with the African church than their own local church on issues they consider non-negotiable.

More generally, and not surprisingly, claims of infallibility make change very difficult to navigate

Interesting, and quite amusing to me, this infallibility thing. We are informed nowadays, that the Pope is only infallible when he makes a statement ex cathedra (was it always thought to be the case?), and modern day Popes seem extremely reluctant to sit in that chair. You would think they would get off on binding and loosing stuff on Earth and in Heaven if they really thought they had the power.
Old 5th March 2021, 08:46 PM   #1911
attempt5001
Muse

Interesting, and quite amusing to me, this infallibility thing. We are informed nowadays, that the Pope is only infallible when he makes a statement ex cathedra (was it always thought to be the case?), and modern day Popes seem extremely reluctant to sit in that chair. You would think they would get off on binding and loosing stuff on Earth and in Heaven if they really thought they had the power.
Yeah, I'm not sure on the history of how Popes have chosen to differentiate between infallible vs. pretty sure this is right vs. just something that popped into my mind and I decided to throw it out there to see how it lands.
On the topic of binding/loosing, have you ever seen (or are you familiar with the plot of) the movie "Dogma", in which modern philosophers Jay and Silent Bob play out a thought experiment on that theme?
Old 6th March 2021, 12:15 PM   #1912
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yeah, I'm not sure on the history of how Popes have chosen to differentiate between infallible vs. pretty sure this is right vs. just something that popped into my mind and I decided to throw it out there to see how it lands.
On the topic of binding/loosing, have you ever seen (or are you familiar with the plot of) the movie "Dogma", in which modern philosophers Jay and Silent Bob play out a thought experiment on that theme?

Never seen it. Sounds interesting so I will look out for it.
Old 6th March 2021, 03:20 PM   #1913
attempt5001
Muse

Jay and Silent Bob are a unique (odd) pair of characters that show up in a series of low budget films and TV programs. Originally poster boys of sorts for the pot-smoking, disenfranchised (yet deep-thinking) youth and young adults of the early 90s. If I remember it correctly, "Dogma" presents a scenario in which the Catholic church has declared a set of "holy gates" through which anyone can walk to receive absolution. The devil decides to take on human form to attempt to walk through said gates to receive absolution, which would undo basic tenants of the faith and possibly cause the universe to cease to exist. I watched it a long time ago, and don't remember thinking it was particularly good, but the idea has stuck with me.
Old 7th March 2021, 10:14 PM   #1914
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Yeah - that's true. I was thinking that it was mostly Spain and Portugal, but it may well have been Great Britain and France.
Old 8th March 2021, 01:29 AM   #1915
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

And Islam
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:10 AM   #1916
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You’ll struggle to find a copy, the rights are owned by the Weinstein brothers and pre-date streaming so unlikely to be ever renegotiated.

ETA: If you are want to see a drama that explores the world as the Roman Catholic Church says it is watch Apparitions - the world really would be a terrifying place.

Last edited by Darat; 8th March 2021 at 02:13 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 04:49 AM   #1917
catsmate
No longer the 1

You’ll struggle to find a copy, the rights are owned by the Weinstein brothers and pre-date streaming so unlikely to be ever renegotiated.

ETA: If you are want to see a drama that explores the world as the Roman Catholic Church says it is watch Apparitions - the world really would be a terrifying place.
Dogma? It's certainly available on the.....unofficial sources.
There's also the rather obscure TV series Strange with the inimitable Ian Richardson.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 04:57 AM   #1918
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah that was another good one.
Old 8th March 2021, 01:31 PM   #1919
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Jay and Silent Bob are a unique (odd) pair of characters that show up in a series of low budget films and TV programs. Originally poster boys of sorts for the pot-smoking, disenfranchised (yet deep-thinking) youth and young adults of the early 90s. If I remember it correctly, "Dogma" presents a scenario in which the Catholic church has declared a set of "holy gates" through which anyone can walk to receive absolution. The devil decides to take on human form to attempt to walk through said gates to receive absolution, which would undo basic tenants of the faith and possibly cause the universe to cease to exist. I watched it a long time ago, and don't remember thinking it was particularly good, but the idea has stuck with me.
Not the devil, but angels cast out of heaven.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2021, 02:58 PM   #1920
attempt5001
Muse

ah, okay. Thanks. Been a long time since I saw it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy