IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th February 2021, 08:11 PM   #281
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Who said anything about cold-blooded? If you're going to do a murder it should be in the throes of strong, passionate fury! It's more ornamental, and I bet it's much more satisfying that way.
I know, it's not truly cold blooded murder unless you put the correct number of stamps on the letter you send to the hitman.

I would say that you are advocating the ultimate act of revenge as a form of "forgiveness" but it occurs to me that if you also had the ability to send your enemies to hell you would do that too and then "forgiveness" wouldn't commence until hell had frozen over.

Last edited by psionl0; 14th February 2021 at 08:12 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:14 PM   #282
ynot
Philosopher

What a strangely anti-Catholic remark to make! I don't see how it applies to what I said, unless you imagine a set of geopolitical movements, a religio-social control program, and one monarch no worse than her successor was are somehow passionate in their murders as opposed to calculating. All three examples cited seem far more cold than hot, even if you ignored the begged question that they were all for the sake of murder.
Very sorry. Forgive my indiscretion and your negative emotions toward me will disappear.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:16 PM   #283
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I know, it's not truly cold blooded murder unless you put the correct number of stamps on the letter you send to the hitman.
Good lord, who sends letters these days? That's crazy talk.

Quote:
I would say that you are advocating the ultimate act of revenge as a form of "forgiveness" but it occurs to me that if you also had the ability to send your enemies to hell you would do that too and then "forgiveness" wouldn't commence until hell had frozen over.
Eternal punishment is inherently unreasonable. Permanently disposing of one's enemies is quite sufficient: the point isn't to hurt them for their crimes, but to achieve justice and prevent them from repeating their errors. Once an enemy is removed why would there be any further need for animosity? They were problems that have been solved, and everyone can move on with their lives, refreshed and at peace. Those that can't move on with their lives because they're dead, well, they won't move on but they won't be in a position to be upset about it. They won't even know, what with being dead and all. They won't be suffering in the slightest.

eta: in fact, the idea of there being a hell at all is one of the things that makes me quite certain that God as portrayed by Christianity cannot possibly exist. If he did and he had a hell, he'd be a maniac and would have destroyed himself and us long ago.

Last edited by TragicMonkey; 14th February 2021 at 08:23 PM.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 08:23 PM   #284
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Eternal punishment is inherently unreasonable. Permanently disposing of one's enemies is quite sufficient:
That sounds big hearted of you (if you can describe a murderer as "big hearted") but we will never know the truth about you since you can't continue hurting somebody once they are in the grave.
Old 14th February 2021, 08:25 PM   #285
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That sounds big hearted of you (if you can describe a murderer as "big hearted") but we will never know the truth about you since you can't continue hurting somebody once they are in the grave.
Assuming they weren't buried alive, of course. That's unpleasant, but statistically it's got to happen at least sometimes.
Old 15th February 2021, 04:17 AM   #286
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah. Let's widen the definition of "forgiveness" to include cold blooded murder.
According to some expert psychologist, if you have been grievously wronged* by someone who is now dead, one way to deal with it is to write them a letter setting out all your grievances like a catharsis and then burn that letter.

*We are not talking about being owed a few bucks, here.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 04:18 AM   #287
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Don't be silly. We should just kill the ones who've wronged me. Then I will be freely able to bathe all the surviving humans in the warm radiance of my beneficence. When you really, really consider it it's sort of an ethical obligation on the part of everyone to do this for me, as it will maximize my own compassion and kindness, which would then be shared with all the world! In fact, not murdering my enemies is sort of a moral lapse on everybody's part, isn't it? An insult; nay, even a sin! A sin against the flow of cosmic harmony and peace! I'm not certain I can forgive you for that...
Such a tragedy you were not born a mediaeval king.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 04:19 AM   #288
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Who said anything about cold-blooded? If you're going to do a murder it should be in the throes of strong, passionate fury! It's more ornamental, and I bet it's much more satisfying that way.
Don't be like Al Capone. Make sure you file your tax returns in the mean time!

Old 15th February 2021, 04:22 AM   #289
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Good lord, who sends letters these days? That's crazy talk.

Eternal punishment is inherently unreasonable. Permanently disposing of one's enemies is quite sufficient: the point isn't to hurt them for their crimes, but to achieve justice and prevent them from repeating their errors. Once an enemy is removed why would there be any further need for animosity? They were problems that have been solved, and everyone can move on with their lives, refreshed and at peace. Those that can't move on with their lives because they're dead, well, they won't move on but they won't be in a position to be upset about it. They won't even know, what with being dead and all. They won't be suffering in the slightest.

eta: in fact, the idea of there being a hell at all is one of the things that makes me quite certain that God as portrayed by Christianity cannot possibly exist. If he did and he had a hell, he'd be a maniac and would have destroyed himself and us long ago.
Given the law of duality, if Heaven exists, then of course, its counterpart, Hell, must do so, too.

Old 15th February 2021, 05:02 AM   #290
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Given the law of duality, if Heaven exists, then of course, its counterpart, Hell, must do so, too.
I don't see that as necessarily so, but I'll grant that the notion of a heaven is equally as reasonable as the notion of a hell.
Old 15th February 2021, 05:08 AM   #291
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

What is the law of duality?

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 11:30 AM   #292
suren
Scholar

I don't see that as necessarily so, but I'll grant that the notion of a heaven is equally as reasonable as the notion of a hell.
Me too. This reminds me the legend where Albert Einstein humiliated an atheist professor.
The argument was that cold is the absence of warm, darkness is the absence of light, bad is the absence of good, etc. Some Christians similarly justify hell as simply an absence of God/heaven/happiness. But this logic is flawed. For example does the absence of happiness mean sadness? In a strict logical sense no, you can be neither happy or sad, just neutral. The same with other things, such as pleasure - pain, good - bad, etc.

Last edited by suren; 15th February 2021 at 11:37 AM.
suren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 11:45 AM   #293
Steve
Philosopher

According to some expert psychologist, if you have been grievously wronged* by someone who is now dead, one way to deal with it is to write them a letter setting out all your grievances like a catharsis and then burn that letter.

*We are not talking about being owed a few bucks, here.
An old favorite joke of mine:

I heard a good way to let go of anger is write letters to the people you hate, and then burn them.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with all the letters.
Old 15th February 2021, 12:01 PM   #294
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by suren View Post
Me too. This reminds me the legend where Albert Einstein humiliated an atheist professor.
The argument was that cold is the absence of warm, darkness is the absence of light, bad is the absence of good, etc. Some Christians similarly justify hell as simply an absence of God/heaven/happiness. But this logic is flawed. For example does the absence of happiness mean sadness? In a strict logical sense no, you can be neither happy or sad, just neutral. The same with other things, such as pleasure - pain, good - bad, etc.
Its been said that love isn't the opposite of hate; indifference is. A lot of these dichotomies don't really lie on a straight line.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 12:32 PM   #295
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Its been said that love isn't the opposite of hate; indifference is.
As can be attested by anybody who's banged an ex. The ones you had a stormy breakup with are so much more fun than the ones where you both just drifted off.
Old 15th February 2021, 12:39 PM   #296
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

As can be attested by anybody who's banged an ex. The ones you had a stormy breakup with are so much more fun than the ones where you both just drifted off.
Church. All those touchy-feely things can be shoved discretely aside for a bit.

I'm trying to picture how the spectrum should really look. Maybe passion/indifference on the X-axis, then love/hate teeing off on the Y? A little resentment /carnality spiking off somewhere?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 12:45 PM   #297
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Church. All those touchy-feely things can be shoved discretely aside for a bit.

I'm trying to picture how the spectrum should really look. Maybe passion/indifference on the X-axis, then love/hate teeing off on the Y? A little resentment /carnality spiking off somewhere?
Maybe they're all distinctly separate emotions and can be felt in any combination in any degree.
Old 15th February 2021, 12:47 PM   #298
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they're all distinctly separate emotions and can be felt in any combination in any degree.
Have you no reverence at all for the oversimplified rhetorical false dichotomy?

Old 15th February 2021, 01:30 PM   #299
suren
Scholar

Its been said that love isn't the opposite of hate; indifference is. A lot of these dichotomies don't really lie on a straight line.
Is this from Elie Wiesel's quote?
Old 15th February 2021, 03:50 PM   #300
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by suren View Post
That's certainly what I was taught in church. But it is contradicted both by Revelation and other Biblical books of prophecy, and by most Christian philosophers and theologians in history.
Old 16th February 2021, 05:22 AM   #301
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, then there's also the problem of--just arguing that something must logically exist, even if it's a valid argument, doesn't mean that it must resemble a specific description offered.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy