IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Rystiya
Scholar

Can I end post-modern era?

I have made a new philosophy. What I did is 1): to prove the idea that our experiences and lives are transcendent, 2): then use that idea to replace God as the source of strength, dignity and virtue, while also use it as a factual basis for (modified) Nietzschean values. This seem to have led to a new value which can 1): help people focus on something transcendent (and thus gain strength, dignity and virtue) like Christianity does, 2): respect the freedom of individuals and life-affirming like Nietzschean philosophy does, 3): while also being reasonable, intuitive and attractive at the same time. The main contents of my value include: 1): the transcendence of life, 2): three of our critical, subconscious, powerful, mental reactions to the transcendence of our lives: transcendence awareness, the will to power, and the force of life, 3): why and how should we understand and accept these three reactions. It is supposed to help people affirm, enjoy and live out the transcendence of their lives.

Does that sound good or feasible? You can view the full article on a website called 'medium', just search 'Recommended responses to the transcendence of life' on medium.
Rystiya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 06:54 AM   #2
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Bringing up the page gives me "ERROR 410 The author deleted this Medium story."

3. I'd be amazed if you could define "transcendent" in a way that made an ounce of sense.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 07:06 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ending the post-modern era doesn't sound feasible. Certainly this forum is the wrong place to start.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 08:22 AM   #4
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

"our experiences and lives are transcendent,"

You have no idea what that even means.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 08:39 AM   #5
sackett
Philosopher

This is dangerously addictive

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post

The meaning of anything becomes clearer through explication:

"Your hotdogs and hamburgers are transcendent."

"Their transcendences and Popeyes are hamberders."

"Drives like cream to keep them fresh," as my Tapatalk clearly says, and if that ain't transcended then mother's quit making it.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 09:03 AM   #6
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I’m sure all interpretations of it are equally valid.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 01:16 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Of course he/she does.... he/she got it from this website

https://tinyurl.com/1tbhy0nc

(Note: I had to use tinyurl because the actual url uses a censored word so the forum censor screws up the link)

"This life is nothing short of an awakening rebirth of consciousness-expanding grace.
Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is spacetime. Guidance is the driver of curiosity.
If you have never experienced this fount of the creative act, it can be difficult to vibrate.

The quantum cycle is full of electrical impulses. By awakening, we vibrate. Transcendence is a constant.

Have you found your mission? Lifeform, look within and inspire yourself. It can be difficult to know where to begin.

Throughout history, humans have been interacting with the galaxy via a resonance cascade. We are in the midst of a spiritual ennobling of faith that will remove the barriers to the totality itself. We are at a crossroads of sharing and selfishness.

Nothing is impossible.

Where there is illusion, transcendence cannot thrive. Only a being of the quantum matrix may bring about this canopy of freedom. The complexity of the present time seems to demand an invocation of our dreams if we are going to survive.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 01:49 PM   #8
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

How do I shot web?
Old 12th February 2021, 04:36 PM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
How do I shot web?
I donno. Ask Spider-man.
Old 12th February 2021, 05:19 PM   #10
Cavemonster
Philosopher

How is babby formed?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 05:35 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How does a polar bear know what ice apples is?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 08:37 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How does a polar bear know what ice apples is?
Like everyone else: we know 'em when we see 'em.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:13 AM   #13
Rystiya
Scholar

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Bringing up the page gives me "ERROR 410 The author deleted this Medium story."

3. I'd be amazed if you could define "transcendent" in a way that made an ounce of sense.
In my full article I said that your experiences is the only thing that is absolutely real, your only source of knowledge, etc. 'transcendent' here is used in a ontological rather than a moral way.

Last edited by Rystiya; 13th February 2021 at 02:20 AM.
Rystiya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 02:15 AM   #14
Rystiya
Scholar

You will begin understand if you accept the idea that nothing but your experiences are real.
Old 13th February 2021, 07:20 AM   #15
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Rystiya View Post
In my full article I said that your experiences is the only thing that is absolutely real, your only source of knowledge, etc. 'transcendent' here is used in a ontological rather than a moral way.

So far it appears that despite honest attempts to find it on medium.com or via search engines, no one here has been able to experience your full article. Is it real?
Old 13th February 2021, 07:26 AM   #16
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
So far it appears that despite honest attempts to find it on medium.com or via search engines, no one here has been able to experience your full article. Is it real?
In Kantian terms, the article is transcendent.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:13 AM   #17
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
What is real, my child? What is real?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 08:33 AM   #18
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Does this mean we are now in the Pre-Future Era? I'm confused...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 08:33 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Where's Bob when you need him?
Old 13th February 2021, 08:34 AM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Does this mean we are now in the Pre-Future Era? I'm confused...
The post-post-modern era.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:49 AM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You will begin understand if you accept the idea that nothing but your experiences are real.
So things are out there waiting to exist until I experience them?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 09:55 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So things are out there waiting to exist until I experience them?
It's not a new idea, and I don't think it's even that weird. I mean, pragmatically it makes sense to assume that everything exists whether you experience it or not. But philosophically, all you really have to go on are your own experiences.

I'm not very interested in the premise. It's not original Rystiya. It's pretty much entry-level epistemology, that blows the mind of every teenager the first time they think of it.

I'm more interested in how Rystiya connects the dots from there to a transcendent life and the end of postmodernism.
Old 13th February 2021, 03:24 PM   #23
angrysoba
Philosophile

Kant do it!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2021, 03:37 PM   #24
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Kant do it!
Hume are you referring to??
Old 13th February 2021, 07:54 PM   #25
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

The message here seems purty Thoreau.
Old 13th February 2021, 09:05 PM   #26
Rystiya
Scholar

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's not a new idea, and I don't think it's even that weird. I mean, pragmatically it makes sense to assume that everything exists whether you experience it or not. But philosophically, all you really have to go on are your own experiences.

I'm not very interested in the premise. It's not original Rystiya. It's pretty much entry-level epistemology, that blows the mind of every teenager the first time they think of it.

I'm more interested in how Rystiya connects the dots from there to a transcendent life and the end of postmodernism.
Well, in order to prove the idea that experiences are transcend, I made a few points:

1): They and only they are absolutely real. The entire universe might be unreal. However, I cannot doubt the existence of my experiences because I can’t imagine them to be unreal, simply because there are some of them out there at the current moment (for me, that’s the experiences of typing, breathing, etc). Even I assume the universe I know is not real, my experiences are still nevertheless real. Experiences are the highest level of reality.

2): Despite being absolutely real, the true nature of my experiences seems unique and incomprehensible (I consider them to be spiritual, although I don’t know what does ‘spiritual’ mean). They are probably not made of any atoms or particles; they are formless, they can never be measured/captured/recorded by machines, and no science or philosophy can explain what they are and how are they generated.

3): Experiences are just out there. They and only they can be felt directly, everything else are just my mind’s understanding of experiences. For example, I suppose and believe that I live in a material universe because sensory experiences seem to reflect ‘objects’ made of ‘materials’. I suppose and believe that I have a mind because experiences such as joy and sadness seem to reflect mental activities like ‘emotions’, ‘thoughts’, etc. If I accept the idea that my experiences are just illusions which do not reflect anything, I cannot accept anything to be real. Without experiences, I won’t even know what is ‘action’, ‘consequence’, ‘murder’, ‘human’, ‘I’, not to say ‘I shall not murder a human’.

I will be glad if you can supplement this.
Old 13th February 2021, 10:02 PM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think John Locke beat you to the punch in 1689. An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. I fear that much of what modern people assume to be fresh and innovative philosophy has actually been thought of in great detail long ago.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:41 AM   #28
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Well, in order to prove the idea that experiences are transcend, I made a few points:

1): They and only they are absolutely real. The entire universe might be unreal. However, I cannot doubt the existence of my experiences because I can’t imagine them to be unreal, simply because there are some of them out there at the current moment (for me, that’s the experiences of typing, breathing, etc). Even I assume the universe I know is not real, my experiences are still nevertheless real. Experiences are the highest level of reality.

2): Despite being absolutely real, the true nature of my experiences seems unique and incomprehensible (I consider them to be spiritual, although I don’t know what does ‘spiritual’ mean). They are probably not made of any atoms or particles; they are formless, they can never be measured/captured/recorded by machines, and no science or philosophy can explain what they are and how are they generated.

3): Experiences are just out there. They and only they can be felt directly, everything else are just my mind’s understanding of experiences. For example, I suppose and believe that I live in a material universe because sensory experiences seem to reflect ‘objects’ made of ‘materials’. I suppose and believe that I have a mind because experiences such as joy and sadness seem to reflect mental activities like ‘emotions’, ‘thoughts’, etc. If I accept the idea that my experiences are just illusions which do not reflect anything, I cannot accept anything to be real. Without experiences, I won’t even know what is ‘action’, ‘consequence’, ‘murder’, ‘human’, ‘I’, not to say ‘I shall not murder a human’.

When you experience thirst, what do you do, and why?
Old 14th February 2021, 08:01 AM   #29
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Hume are you referring to??
Camus to think of it, Ayer Frege to know Moore?

Old 14th February 2021, 09:11 AM   #30
Steve
Philosopher

What experiences? How can I tell if I have them?
Old 14th February 2021, 11:20 AM   #31
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Of course he/she does.... he/she got it from this website

https://tinyurl.com/1tbhy0nc

(Note: I had to use tinyurl because the actual url uses a censored word so the forum censor screws up the link)

"This life is nothing short of an awakening rebirth of consciousness-expanding grace.
Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is spacetime. Guidance is the driver of curiosity.
If you have never experienced this fount of the creative act, it can be difficult to vibrate.

The quantum cycle is full of electrical impulses. By awakening, we vibrate. Transcendence is a constant.

Have you found your mission? Lifeform, look within and inspire yourself. It can be difficult to know where to begin.

Throughout history, humans have been interacting with the galaxy via a resonance cascade. We are in the midst of a spiritual ennobling of faith that will remove the barriers to the totality itself. We are at a crossroads of sharing and selfishness.

Nothing is impossible.

Where there is illusion, transcendence cannot thrive. Only a being of the quantum matrix may bring about this canopy of freedom. The complexity of the present time seems to demand an invocation of our dreams if we are going to survive.
What the buggery bollocks does that word salad mean? I recognise all of the words and even know what most of them usually mean (I never have a clue what anyone means by spiritual), but put together like that barely gets as far as gibberish.

If that's the standard of "argument" being advanced, all I can say is: must try harder...This reads like stuff Jon Anderson and Steve Howe rejected for Tales From Topographic Oceans as being nonsensical.

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 14th February 2021 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added old prog rock reference
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 11:47 AM   #32
Dutchman
Scholar

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
What the buggery bollocks does that word salad mean? I recognise all of the words and even know what most of them usually mean (I never have a clue what anyone means by spiritual), but put together like that barely gets as far as gibberish.

If that's the standard of "argument" being advanced, all I can say is: must try harder...This reads like stuff Jon Anderson and Steve Howe rejected for Tales From Topographic Oceans as being nonsensical.
Check out the link smartcooky provided, and all will be clear
Dutchman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 12:58 PM   #33
marting
Master Poster

Sisyphus was always stoned so Camus presumed him happy.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:06 PM   #34
Rystiya
Scholar

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What experiences? How can I tell if I have them?
All sorts of experiences. You can tell you have experiences, you simply have them. That's the most funny part.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:11 PM   #35
Rystiya
Scholar

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think John Locke beat you to the punch in 1689. An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. I fear that much of what modern people assume to be fresh and innovative philosophy has actually been thought of in great detail long ago.
I'm not just talking about epistemology. The idea that 'experiences is the source of all knowledge' is not new, of course I know.

What's new is that somehow our intuition knows our experiences, thus our lives, are transcendent, and it is that intuition which makes us human.

The idea that 'experiences is the source of all knowledge' is just one of the main reasons why experiences should be considered transcendent ('transcendent' refer to 'far more vital and valueable than anything else'). I'm thinking about more reasons for that.

Last edited by Rystiya; 14th February 2021 at 07:12 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 14th February 2021, 08:58 PM   #36
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2021, 11:25 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I believe that much of modern philosophy isn't talking about things, it's talking about people who talked about things four hundred years ago.
Old 15th February 2021, 02:51 AM   #38
IanS
Philosopher

What you are describing does not sound new. It sounds just like so-called “solipsism” and suggestions about a “brain in a vat”. And those are discussions we have had here many times before, across thousands of posts. Those previous threads also quickly included Descartes so-called “cogito”, which simply stated amounts to “I think therefore I am” … and a number of us quickly pointed out what is clearly wrong with that.

But that aside; if you think that it might be plausibly true that our perceived reality does not exist at all, such that all that actually exists, according to you (and according to various philosophers, apparently), is just a so-called consciousness composed of disembodied thoughts, then you have to do several things to back up that sort of suggestion, eg -

1 you have to show evidence that observed reality has no existence

2 you have to show how any conscious thoughts can exist without a functioning brain.

Re. 2 above – the point is that, as soon as you accept that a physical brain must exist in order for any such thoughts or consciousness to be apparent, then your argument is immediately lost. Because you then have not just the consciousness/thoughts/experiences, but also a physically existing object as an "external" reality (ie the brain), a realty which also needs the support system of a physical body with a sensory system etc.

Also – afaik, all properly published genuine research in psychology and neuroscience journals, shows that when the brain is truly dead, then all signs of any consciousness/thoughts/experiences cease. All research evidence shows that what we call consciousness/thoughts/etc are simply an effect or product of what our brains do (and animal brains do the same ... with the same view of reality as us ... they sense & describe & react to all the same things).

In various experiments it's been shown that our thoughts/consciousness/etc. can be dramatically altered by the application of electrical charges/signals, and by chemical drugs etc., so that what the subject/patient claims to think and experience is radically changed ... and in fact to some extent the experiences can actually be controlled, even to the level of deliberately producing certain specific experiences/thoughts … ie the experienced event did not really happen, but the patient thinks it did/does happen, because of the application of specific electrical signals or drugs or oxygen deprivation etc.

That should be more than enough to end all arguments about claims of a single consciousness like a so called “brain in a vat” (where did any such “vat” come from??), but even beyond all of that, as I argued here before with one poster who shall be “nameless” (who I have not seen here for a while now, but many will recall David's posts); if all that exists is a consciousness/thoughts in one disembodied brainless “mind”, then how is that “mind” posting things here on the internet? … who does that mind think it's talking too? … why is that mind claiming on one hand that nohting except itself exists, whilst on the other hand it itself is apparently arguing with itself to say that what it is claiming is wrong! ... it's constantly arguing with itself and disputing everything it says from second to second!

Last edited by IanS; 15th February 2021 at 04:29 AM.
IanS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2021, 05:01 AM   #39
Steve
Philosopher

All sorts of experiences. You can tell you have experiences, you simply have them. That's the most funny part.
Perhaps I am just imagining them. Perhaps I am just imagining me.
Old 15th February 2021, 05:06 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I believe that much of modern philosophy isn't talking about things, it's talking about people who talked about things four hundred years ago.
Because those people already thought of those things, and ignoring what they wrote means every adolescent who really like thinks about the universe, man, like totally, starts out from scratch covering the same things all over. Philosophy is no different from other subjects in that you get further by not ignoring everything that others have done before. If you refuse to stand on the shoulders of giants you get, well, things like this thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy