IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Hey Atheists! Wanna see the face of God?

Oh yes you do!

Pope: everyone, even atheists, want to see the face of God
Asian News (Italian site in English)

Quote:
Vatican City (AsiaNews) - "The desire to know the face of God is in every man, even the atheists," but this desire is only realized by following Christ, in whom, in the Incarnation, "something unimaginable took place, the journey that began with Abraham is fulfilled. He is the Son, the fullness of all Revelation; the mediator who shows us the face of God. "

Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Exodus 33 (ESV):

Quote:
18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.”

So, sure, Your Holiness. Let's all line up for a peek. You first.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
George 152
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Abdul Alhazred View Post
Wee problem there.
At last count I had a list of some 5000+ 'gods'.
Which of those is real and which is a phoney ?
As atheists don't believe in any of that theistic nonsense who's going to provide proof that it is a god they're looking at. anyway ?
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
ehcks
Illuminator

I believe I'd rather see the body of Aphrodite, not just the face.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Exodus 33 (ESV)
I like the next part, where God moons Moses.

21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Aaww... that's really cute.

Are you done?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

Pope talks nonsense. Film at eleven.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

Yep. I'd like to meet Spider-Man too.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
GregInAustin
Thinker

Is it just me, or does that guy just look evil?

GregInAustin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Madalch
The Jester

"Everyone secretly knows I'm right." -Every Fanatic.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
GregInAustin
Thinker

GregInAustin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I can play that game too.

Everyone, even Popey Pants, wants to touch my monkey. Love him! Liebe mein affe-mienke! Make me as happy as a little girl!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by GregInAustin View Post

I'm pretty sure it's just you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_m6alqetsv71rwzbqmo1_500.jpg (32.2 KB, 8 views)
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 01:50 PM   #14
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Oh yes you do!
Damned presumptive of the pope.

Firstly, he makes inane and baseless presumptions about what I want, without ever having met me. Secondly, he makes the ludicrous and laughable mistake of presuming that his makey-uppey omniscient, omnipotent and omni-present invisible friend, who knows everything and who existed before the universe began, actually has a face. I mean, why would you need eyes when you exist before you've invented light, and are now everywhere all the time and know everything? Why do you need a nose when you exist before air and any need to breath? Why do you need a mouth when you existed before you invented food, and when you don't ever communicate verbally anyway?

So, no, I don't "wanna see the face of god". God does not exist other than in gullible minds, so I have no more desire to see the product of some deranged fantasy than I have of seeing the bizarre fantasies of other weird men on the internet, (unless they happen to be a genius artist or architect).

I don't need to write that in large font for people to get the point, I trust.

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 01:57 PM   #15
jj
Penultimate Amazing

I want to see the face of the Pope when he realizes there is no such thing.

Oh, maybe that's why he looks so mean and Sith Emperor like?
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Damned presumptive of the pope.

Firstly, he makes inane and baseless presumptions about what I want, without ever having met me. Secondly, he makes the ludicrous and laughable mistake of presuming that his makey-uppey omniscient, omnipotent and omni-present invisible friend, who knows everything and who existed before the universe began, actually has a face.
Which raises another pressing question: why would God need a penis? The Pope and his friends are most insistent that this god of theirs is male, but why would such a being have a gender, which is simply a function of sexual reproduction? It's almost as though an ancient patriarchal people just made this God character up.
Old 16th January 2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Which raises another pressing question: why would God need a penis? ...
In so far as they claim God was also a particular male historical individual, he needed a penis for the usual reasons besides being born with it.

Abdul Alhazred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 02:52 PM   #18
GregInAustin
Thinker

Right. The similarities are uncanny.

Old 16th January 2013, 05:19 PM   #19
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GregInAustin View Post
Confirmation bias
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's almost as though an ancient patriarchal people just made this God character up.
More and more lately, and I'm not sure why, I'm thinking this might be the case.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Strictly speaking the Roman Catholic church is very strongly patriarchy flavored, but not a real patriarchy in the historical sense.

What with being ruled by "fathers" that are not fathers.
Old 16th January 2013, 05:43 PM   #22
eir_de_scania
Thinker

There are some gods I wouldn't mind seeing, but the old curmudgeon from the bible is not one of them.

Granny Weatherwax
eir_de_scania is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Lisa Simpson

Oh, pul-eeze. I'm Facebook friends with God.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 06:00 PM   #24
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Pup View Post

21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
The Lord knew his best side.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 06:16 PM   #25
EvilQuest
Thinker

That Pope dude looks so cool, spouting off about God when he himself looks uncannily like The Devil. Is that irony? Does it matter?

This is one of those things that you struggle to comment on because the arrogance kinda leaves you speechless. So even ATHEISTS secretly need (and perhaps even DESIRE?) the teachings of Christ? Is that the implication?

Someone has a problem with "definitions". It's either me or him. I'll give you a clue: it ain't me.

EQ
EvilQuest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 06:41 PM   #26
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EvilQuest View Post
This is one of those things that you struggle to comment on because the arrogance kinda leaves you speechless. So even ATHEISTS secretly need (and perhaps even DESIRE?) the teachings of Christ? Is that the implication?
Yes.

You think Ratzinger is arrogant? Dinesh D'Souza had said that anyone who ever heard or read Nicean Creed is physically incapable of not believing it. In other words, all atheists (and Muslems, Hindus, etc.) who heard the gist of Christ's teachings actually believe, and are lying about their disbelief.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:48 PM   #27
angrysoba
Philosophile

Which raises another pressing question: why would God need a penis?
You could ask the same about the Pope.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 07:26 PM   #28
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
You could ask the same about the Pope.
To bugger boys.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 07:32 PM   #29
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

It kinda sounds like the Pope has atheists and agnostics confused. Agnostics are the ones who would dearly love to actually see someone's god. Atheists mostly have given up on such silly nonsense.

By the way, I am an agnostic and I know I'm silly. I still jump at the idea of someone having actual good proof of their deity existing. Eventually I'll become mature and jaded enough to give up that silly hope but for now...I'm still young and silly.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 07:44 PM   #30
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post

By the way, I am an agnostic and I know I'm silly. I still jump at the idea of someone having actual good proof of their deity existing. Eventually I'll become mature and jaded enough to give up that silly hope but for now...I'm still young and silly.
Why their deity when there are so many to choose from, and some of them a whole lot more fun?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 07:47 PM   #31
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Weak Kitten View Post
It kinda sounds like the Pope has atheists and agnostics confused. Agnostics are the ones who would dearly love to actually see someone's god. Atheists mostly have given up on such silly nonsense.

I once chased the god chimera thru the mists only to realize I was chasing willow the wisps of my own mind.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:16 PM   #32
Weak Kitten
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
Why their deity when there are so many to choose from, and some of them a whole lot more fun?
Oh I'm not picky. I'll take solid proof of almost any deity, though there are some deities I personally hope are not real. Some versions of the Christian god are really scary and mean. Many older deities are pretty nasty too. It would be pretty bad to find out that Durga or Sekmet are real since such a revelation would probably be followed by my screaming painful death.
A quick reminder to all participants that although incomprehensibility is not against the Membership Agreement, incivility is. Please try and remember this, and keep your exchanges polite and respectful. -arthwollipot
Weak Kitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 08:46 PM   #33
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

What does God, need with a spaceship face? /Shatner.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2013, 08:51 PM   #34
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

When did Sméagol become Pope?
Old 16th January 2013, 08:53 PM   #35
Piscivore
Smelling fishy

I have a mirror already.

"...untrustworthy obnoxious twerp." - CFLarsen
Piscivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pup View Post

Then again, there's Exodus 33:11
Quote:
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.
No wonder the Holy Father's a bit confused.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 02:02 AM   #37
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

I'm not horribly offended by this. Darth Ratzi believes god is a real thing, chooses to believe that even without any evidence, and his entire framework is built on that presumption. I prefer to believe only in real things, choose which things I believe are real based on the evidence for them, and I want to know what I can about real things. If god was a real thing and god's face mattered, I'd want to see the face of god. Since god is either imaginary or hiding in such a way that the universe is progressing as if he/she/it doesn't exist, then I have no desire to see the face of god, any more than I have a desire to see the face of a unicorn. Still, given Ratzi's preexisting delusion, his statement does follow, and I can see why he'd believe it. It isn't true, but it requires less doublethink than the original error of thinking he made.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2013, 04:15 AM   #38
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Strictly speaking the Roman Catholic church is very strongly patriarchy flavored, but not a real patriarchy in the historical sense.

What with being ruled by "fathers" that are not fathers.
Patriarchy doesn't mean strictly biological fathers in any incarnation.

For a start the same rights of the pater familias applied for the Romans (from which the RCC got their trappings and father figure pretenses) even to young married people who hadn't procreated yet. Actually being a father had nothing to do with it.

Second, it applied to adopted children too.

Third, and most crucially, it also extended to wives, servants, freedmen, slaves, etc. If you had something like a freedman and two slaves working for you, but no children, congrats, you're still a pater familias anyway.

But of course, deriving anything from its origins would be a genetic fallacy. Nevertheless it will serve as an example instead.

Anyway... A patriarchy, or its current meaning, really has nothing to do with being a biological father. It's just a way to say that the males are in charge, and women are subordinate to the men. Which I think sums up the RCC and its ideology to this day very very well.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:40 AM   #39
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Patriarchy doesn't mean strictly biological fathers in any incarnation ...
In politics or in religion?

I was thinking in terms of the Patriarchs in the Old Testament. Where the male head of an extended family was also the highest authority.

Sure that included slaves and various other non-genetically related dependents.

That's a far cry from anything a Roman Catholic priest is.

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred; 18th January 2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 18th January 2013, 05:43 AM   #40
Abdul Alhazred
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
I'm not horribly offended by this ...
I'm not offended at all.

Sometimes the Zinger zings, but misses his target in a laughable way. To me, this is one of those times.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy