IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 09:02 AM   #4001
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Originally Posted by edge View Post
[i][color="DarkRed"]All I know is that animals and children have no fear of me or that they can see that I am about love.
No, it's because children are trusting of everyone and the only animal we see approaching you, you are bribing with food.

Quote:
That bird would be there and if there were 6 cars in that drive through it would always choose my car out of all the others.
Sorry, I don't believe you. That bird would appoach every car the same, if no handout was forthcoming it would move on to the next one. I notice that the only picture you've posted is one where you are at a fast food restaurant with a hamburger in your hand where animals that are acclimated to it will approach humans.

Quote:
Probably because I was the most generous with it, it recognized generosity.
No, it's because it was scavenging and recognized an easy mark. Go to a national park where humans congregate with food and you'll see the same thing with squirrels and chipmunks.

Quote:
God blessed the animals as well as us:
Evidence for any god(s) yet? There hasn't been any so we'll go with the null hypothesis that there aren't any god(s). Your unevidenced assertion is meaningless.

Quote:
animals vote as a group in the wild and they all follow what the group as a majority wants as soon as 51% agree on what they need, its choice as a group is immediately implemented democratically.
You should return that to your backside where you pulled it from. Some animals, like wolves, follow the leader. There is no vote. You really don't know this? Show me the ballot box for horses.

Quote:
In bold above: I'll say it again because you are hard headed and can't get this when I say, [b][i]Animals are intelligent and have a spirit of God[/i][/b]
No, it isn't that I'm hard headed, it's that you are soft headed. Naturally everyone else will seem like their head is hard. I'll say it again because of your soft head. You've yet to prove any god(s) exist. Start there.

Quote:
they are as special as we are,
Again, we agree.

Quote:
they may not be as creative as we are but can think and act remember plus love their own and other animals that aren't the same species. They can recognize intent.
Yep, that's why animals are never killed by humans.

Quote:
There was one time while camping, spending months recovering from a broken heel that a predator walked by me when it could have killed me easily as I lay in my tent to sleep, it was a cougar at about 200 pounds or better. The cougar made it clear that it was there as it growled next to my tent but accepted me in its territory. I saw it once in daylight near my camp spot. It could have taken me anytime it wanted especially when I would take a duce, while I was most vulnerable.
It also knew I feed it, I was an asset for it in its own territory, we had an alliance.
No, you didn't. It may have already eaten, it may have weighed the danger of attacking you on a risk/reward basis and thought it wasn't worth the risk. Again, you really don't know these things?

Quote:
But unlike Ali I wouldn't jump right into a cage with a lion who is upset with imprisonment that would be totally foolish as they are cornered.
Ah, good, you do realize that you don't have any special power over other animals. You were just blowing wind like Ali does.

Quote:
I would not do that again with my dog who loves me let alone with a lion, that would be testing God and that isn’t a good thing.

[/color][/i]
Which god? I test them all the time to see if they exist. None has ever passed the test. Why is that not a good thing? The two gods that you and Ali invented haven't passed the test so they definitely don't exist. Were you thinking of any others?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:27 AM   #4002
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

All I know is that animals and children have no fear of me or that they can see that I am about love. That bird would be there and if there were 6 cars in that drive through it would always choose my car out of all the others.
God blessed the animals as well as us: animals vote as a group in the wild and they all follow what the group as a majority wants as soon as 51% agree on what they need, its choice as a group is immediately implemented democratically.

In bold above: I'll say it again because you are hard headed and can't get this when I say, Animals are intelligent and have a spirit of God, they are as special as we are, they may not be as creative as we are but can think and act remember plus love their own and other animals that aren't the same species. They can recognize intent.

There was one time while camping, spending months recovering from a broken heel that a predator walked by me when it could have killed me easily as I lay in my tent to sleep, it was a cougar at about 200 pounds or better. The cougar made it clear that it was there as it growled next to my tent but accepted me in its territory. I saw it once in daylight near my camp spot. It could have taken me anytime it wanted especially when I would take a duce, while I was most vulnerable.
It also knew I feed it, I was an asset for it in its own territory, we had an alliance.
But unlike Ali I wouldn't jump right into a cage with a lion who is upset with imprisonment that would be totally foolish as they are cornered. I would not do that again with my dog who loves me let alone with a lion, that would be testing God and that isn’t a good thing. ...
I'm not clear about how a cougar would consider a human an asset to their territory.
Or how animals vote.
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:49 AM   #4003
HghrSymmetry
View clearer from above.

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post
(granting the god premise for a moment) God could have made all animals and humans vegetarian. God didn't. God ensured that there would be 24 hour suffering and missery here on earth. Every day approximately 151,650 people die. Many suffer. Every day countless animals suffer and die.
Indeed. Though probably logically nonsensical...just for the sake of discussion...
if I were omniscient/omnipotent and I knew that if I threw the "big bang" switch, the future life forms would endure wretched suffering and pain due to natural selection...

...there is no way I would proceed if that would be the nature of that universe.
It would break my heart to see such an outcome, and it would be the ultimate act of cruelty. It would make me the most cold blooded barbaric monster imaginable.

Last edited by HghrSymmetry; 19th January 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
HghrSymmetry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 11:59 AM   #4004
kerikiwi
Philosopher

... animals vote as a group in the wild and they all follow what the group as a majority wants as soon as 51% agree on what they need, its choice as a group is immediately implemented democratically...
And all this time, I thought you were serious about what you said.
At last, a little levity.
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 05:04 PM   #4005
dafydd
Banned

All I know is that animals and children have no fear of me or that they can see that I am about love. That bird would be there and if there were 6 cars in that drive through it would always choose my car out of all the others.
God blessed the animals as well as us: animals vote as a group in the wild and they all follow what the group as a majority wants as soon as 51% agree on what they need, its choice as a group is immediately implemented democratically.

In bold above: I'll say it again because you are hard headed and can't get this when I say, Animals are intelligent and have a spirit of God, they are as special as we are, they may not be as creative as we are but can think and act remember plus love their own and other animals that aren't the same species. They can recognize intent.

But unlike Ali I wouldn't jump right into a cage with a lion who is upset with imprisonment that would be totally foolish as they are cornered. I would not do that again with my dog who loves me let alone with a lion, that would be testing God and that isn’t a good thing.

Got any more fairy stories? Does anybody here know what taking a duce means?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 05:07 PM   #4006
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Or how animals vote.
With their feet? Paws? Claws?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:15 PM   #4007
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
With their feet? Paws? Claws?
The bigger the paws and claws the bigger the vote they get.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:21 PM   #4008
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
The bigger the paws and claws the bigger the vote they get.
Any idea what duce is and how would you take one?
Old 19th January 2013, 06:29 PM   #4009
devnull
Philosopher

Eat that stuff once a week and at the end of the year see what hospital you land in!
I eat bacon almost daily. The more protein I eat, the healthier I get.

How does that factor into your delusion?
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 06:35 PM   #4010
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by devnull View Post

I eat a bacon sandwich at least once a day. I've been doing it for years. I haven't landed in hospital. Edge fail, yet again. Perhaps that is god's plan?
Old 19th January 2013, 08:29 PM   #4011
Tricky
Briefly immortal

He means "taking a deuce", i.e. "number two". Taking a crap. When one is really full of crap, one must "take a duce" often.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2013, 08:48 PM   #4012
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...

But unlike Ali I wouldn't jump right into a cage with a lion who is upset with imprisonment that would be totally foolish as they are cornered. I would not do that again with my dog who loves me let alone with a lion, that would be testing God and that isn’t a good thing.
...and this one time? At band camp?...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 05:22 AM   #4013
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
He means "taking a deuce", i.e. "number two". Taking a crap. When one is really full of crap, one must "take a duce" often.
I see. Perhaps Edge should post in his first language instead of English.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:24 AM   #4014
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 07:20 AM   #4015
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by devnull View Post

Really? and you really believe that your lifestyle is healthy?
I like bacon too but I don't eat it every day or lobster, I change out and don't eat eggs every day either.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 08:35 AM   #4016
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

Still no god-plans.

I wonder why.

NOT.

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 09:02 AM   #4017
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
My magic power is to make spiders do the Moonwalk. There, I've said it, no need for proof and I'm not really interested in winning a million dollars.
There ya go! Proof of God's plan working in your heart and life!

I think you not only just answered the thread, but the whole of Christendom!
Old 20th January 2013, 09:04 AM   #4018
Paulhoff

The bible's god plans. Even earthquakes, which in no way can people have any influence on are still our fault.

Paul

Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 06:19 PM   #4019
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

[i][color="DarkRed"]Really? and you really believe that your lifestyle is healthy?
I like bacon too but I don't eat it every day or lobster, I change out and don't eat eggs every day either. [/color][/i]
You eat McDonald's hamburgers. lol.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2013, 06:26 PM   #4020
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Doesn't he buy those for the heron?
kerikiwi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 07:46 AM   #4021
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
The bible's god plans. Even earthquakes, which in no way can people have any influence on are still our fault.

Paul

[SNIP]
Edited by kmortis:  Do not repost previously moderated content

Last edited by kmortis; 22nd January 2013 at 07:52 AM.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 07:54 AM   #4022
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

[SNIP]
What possible value could religion be on this topic?

Last edited by kmortis; 22nd January 2013 at 07:54 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 08:25 AM   #4023
edge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboTimbo
No, it's because children are trusting of everyone and the only animal we see approaching you, you are bribing with food.
Can you prove that statement, because that's not what I have seen?

Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe you. That bird would approach every car the same, if no handout was forthcoming it would move on to the next one. I notice that the only picture you've posted is one where you are at a fast food restaurant with a hamburger in your hand where animals that are acclimated to it will approach humans.
As I said it remembered me and my generosity. That bird would come to my car even though there were 6 or more in that drive through and stay on my hood until I parked.
Quote:
No, it's because it was scavenging and recognized an easy mark. Go to a national park where humans congregate with food and you'll see the same thing with squirrels and chipmunks.
That is true in many cases, including Bears but I never seen it with Egrets, it is very common among Seagulls and Blackbirds.
Quote:
Evidence for any god(s) yet? There hasn't been any so we'll go with the null hypothesis that there aren't any god(s). Your unevidenced assertion is meaningless.

Quote:
Some animals, like wolves, follow the leader. There is no vote. You really don't know this? Show me the ballot box for horses.
Sure there are exceptions like Wolves. I posted links to the studies.
Quote:
Again, we agree.
Wow... that's a first from you which is a good thing.

Quote:
No, you didn't. It may have already eaten, it may have weighed the danger of attacking you on a risk/reward basis and thought it wasn't worth the risk. Again, you really don't know these things?
I made that cats life easier trust me I know what we shared up there.

Quote:
Ah, good, you do realize that you don't have any special power over other animals. You were just blowing wind like Ali does.
I never said I had special powers over animals, I said that they can tell who I am, (children and animals love me), and that they are attracted to me. They can tell what is good and evil if you don't believe me check out the study done on crows in Seattle. You ever see a baby that is picked up by a stranger, what does it do most of the time?
Old 21st January 2013, 08:29 AM   #4024
edge
Banned

English is forever changing and evolving, and see how the young are talking through text and on the street? Look at how other fish avoid predators they move together in unison in a group, they vote. what's that tell you?
Animals vote with their eyes and posture.http://www.slate.com/articles/health...om_social.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2288530/

Ali said:
Quote:
I'm afraid I can't go anywhere until I'm given my task.

Your task is to know the truth.

Last edited by edge; 21st January 2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:32 AM   #4025
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
Yes some times but not every day. Maybe I eat there once every three months if even that. Mostly when I am traveling to work and there is nothing at the house I can put in my cooler. Everything in moderation, I follow that.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:36 AM   #4026
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What possible value could religion be on this topic?
Answering this:http://www.internationalskeptics.com...19#post8929119
Old 21st January 2013, 08:42 AM   #4027
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

[i][color="DarkRed"][/color][/i][i][color="darkred"][/color][/i][i][color="darkred"][/color][/i][i][color="darkred"][/color][/i][color="darkred"][/color][color="darkred"][i][/i][/color]

<snipped off topic foolishness>
In case you hadn't noticed, your "special power over animals" nuttery was moved to Abandon All Hope because it is off topic for this thread. I don't recommend reposting moderated material. You might try posting it in Ali's thread where he also claims the god he invented gave him special powers over animals.

Maybe you could try posting some of the plans of the god you invented?
Old 21st January 2013, 09:15 AM   #4028
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Even less clear now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 10:15 AM   #4029
dafydd
Banned

[SNIP]
Your god is really crap at designing planets.

Old 21st January 2013, 10:16 AM   #4030
dafydd
Banned

Everything in moderation, I follow that.
Including reality?
Old 21st January 2013, 10:46 AM   #4031
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why inject a god into studying earthquakes anyway? Yes, our planet has earthquakes. That fact is in no way better understood by associating it with you imaginary friend. Can you associate anything your imaginary friend did with an any earthquakes? If the answer is no (and it is) then your comments are irrelevant to any discussion of the plans of made up beings.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:54 AM   #4032
dafydd
Banned

You ever see a baby that is picked up by a stranger, what does it do most of the time?
It depends on the baby.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:56 AM   #4033
dafydd
Banned

I never said I had special powers over animals, I said that they can tell who I am, (children and animals love me), and that they are attracted to me. They can tell what is good and evil
Children and animals seem to like me too and I'm an atheist. Being evil has nothing to do with if you believe in a god or not. Whether the animals know your name or not is a moot point.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:09 AM   #4034
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I'm not trying to godwin the thread but;

http://api.ning.com/files/oIJo9yl7j5...Ulrx0/Nazi.gif

Kids are, Generally speaking, Quite trusting by their nature.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:11 AM   #4035
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

So would the world not be a much more miserable place if all the tragedies we have endured have been inspite of an all powerful being having the reins?

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2013, 12:32 PM   #4036
kerikiwi
Philosopher

Yes some times but not every day. Maybe I eat there once every three months if even that.
That bird must be really hungry a great deal of the time...
Old 22nd January 2013, 07:35 AM   #4037
Paulhoff

[SNIP]

No, there is no NEED for earthquakes. Earthquakes are caused by plates sticking and then releasing quickly, so your so-called god needs to update his magical powers to stop the sticking.

As for the cold core of Mars, it all has to do with SIZE. Do I need to tell you why?

Paul

Old 22nd January 2013, 08:12 AM   #4038
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by kerikiwi View Post
That bird must be really hungry a great deal of the time...
Probably isn't even the same bird.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy