IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 08:14 AM   #481
Multivac
Master Poster

Originally Posted by edge View Post
[font="Book Antiqua"][size="3"]

I am positive also the atheist view -point based on your kind of hate is worse

than any other, I'm not falling for any political power that has hate.
Atheists do not hate god, they simply do not believe he exists. I am an atheist and I know that god doesn't exist. There is no hate involved, as I cannot hate something that doesn't exist.
Multivac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2011, 09:25 AM   #482
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Multivac View Post
Atheists do not hate god, they simply do not believe he exists. I am an atheist and I know that god doesn't exist. There is no hate involved, as I cannot hate something that doesn't exist.
Same here. Believers amuse me. No hate involved, I leave that to Christians and the like.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2011, 09:28 AM   #483
joobz
Tergiversator

I don't follow much of what it says in the O.T. it's irrelevant to my salvation

and mostly cultural
then shall I assume you support gay marriage?
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 07:35 AM   #484
edge
Banned

QUOTE=joobz;7841199]then shall I assume you support gay marriage?[/quote]

Don't assume anything.

If I don't do, it I don't support it.

Not my problem and none of my buisness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multivac:

No maybe not but you direct it towards Christians and Christianity yes?
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 07:40 AM   #485
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I thought the OT gave the proofs for Jesus?
Sure it does but I'm not going to beat slaves, or stone anyone? At least not as described.
edge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 07:52 AM   #486
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Jesus himself, according to scripture, supported the O.T. 100%, as explained in this article. Edge, why do you ignore Christ's command to follow O.T. laws?
Lets see what the first few objections have to say:
Quote:

1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)
Taken from your link.

In Yellow, let me ask you what was accomplished?

And in Bold?

With common sense what did he change about the Sabbath?

Lets see how much you know or understand. I like changing the fonts but I

like this one especially
Old 14th December 2011, 07:55 AM   #487
Donn
Philosopher

Edge won't beat slaves? or stone anyone? He will use a visual inflection? Of course it's not really a question? Thus, a conclusion?

And .. "At least not as described."
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 08:00 AM   #488
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
Prove a god first, go for it, you'll be the first one.

It still doesn't chance the fact that both sides said the god of the bible was on their side in the war.

Paul

Which one would you say was right? Which one was morally right or can you not make a judgement call with your freewill?
Old 14th December 2011, 08:08 AM   #489
Donn
Philosopher

And, lo, Jesus said, "pull my finger."
But Edge doubted and quoth, "Which one would you say was right? Which one was morally right or can you not make a judgement call with your freewill?"
Forsooth, JC didst gist him ye stink-eye; yea unto departing.

Last edited by Donn; 14th December 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Font madness. Madness, I tell ye!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 08:10 AM   #490
Donn
Philosopher

And one last thing, in passing, I keep reading this thread as:
The Pants of God.

Pantaloons.

Carry on.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:12 AM   #491
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Why are you playing the feminist card? The Bible unambiguously treats women as inferior to men in many, many parts we can cherry-pick. What was God's plan when He sent the serpent to tempt Eve?
Really was it God or humans that set those rules, the feminine plays just as

important of a role as men and they might even have a better brain for

wisdom and education? Perhaps a refining of the creation of us, (the second model)?

Read Enoch’s contribution to the creation, then get back to me.

Let me give you a hint, matter and light.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:19 AM   #492
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
And one last thing, in passing, I keep reading this thread as:
The Pants of God.

Pantaloons.

Carry on.
The comedy thread is in a different section, Donn or is it pig rabbit.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:22 AM   #493
Donn
Philosopher

The comedy thread is in a different section, Donn or is it pig rabbit.
Oh no, Angel Stabby, it's very much right here.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:24 AM   #494
jond
Illuminator

Edge, what's with the fonts and colors lately?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 08:59 AM   #495
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Something to do with the Coat Of Many Colours?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 09:08 AM   #496
Paulhoff
You can't expect perfection.

Which one would you say was right? Which one was morally right or can you not make a judgement call with your freewill?
None would be right, so no morality is needed from that god. Because that morality is only what the person says it is when they say that they are speaking for that god, and if you think it is anything else, they have your number, same goes for the black book.

You guys never really show where having a god explains anything. Now with E=MC², for just one exsample, I can do something with. But with your idea of a god, I can only learn to hate anyone who's god is different or has no god at all, and at the same time you tell us it loves us thru gritted teeth.

You guys have a very funny idea of what freewill should be. For you it free to be punished for not choosing right. Which isn't freewill at all, it is only another type of slavery to a god that can be anything you what it to be. For not once from the sky do we hear, "YOU GUYS GOT IT WRONG and/or RIGHT", seems your god's voice can only be heard in someone head, how convenient.

Paul

A society fails when ignorance outweighs knowledge
Science doesn’t know everything, but religion doesn’t know anything
Life is so horrent and also so beautiful, but without it there is nothing
Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 09:11 AM   #497
Paulhoff

Really was it God or humans that set those rules
Prove a god first and then we can go on from there.

But has for rules to have a society, it has really only been humans all the time.

Paul

Paulhoff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 09:31 AM   #498
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

To make it look like he's put some thought into his replies
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 09:32 AM   #499
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
To make it look like he's put some thought into his replies
That'll be the day.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:08 AM   #500
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Lets see what the first few objections have to say:Taken from your link.
In Yellow, let me ask you what was accomplished?
And in Bold?
With common sense what did he change about the Sabbath?
Lets see how much you know or understand. I like changing the fonts but I
like this one especially
We are not at test here, the bible is. Why do you need to pick out and highlight parts of text to support your point? Is your god not capable of expressing himself in an unambiguous way?

Hans
Old 14th December 2011, 10:10 AM   #501
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

He has noticed that it annoys some here, so now he will continue doing it. Standard behaviour of 5 year olds.

Hans
Old 14th December 2011, 10:11 AM   #502
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

That is not the point. The point is that some people, who claim to have god on their side, must obviously be wrong (since both sides in war claimed it). So why should we trust such people? Why should we trust you?

Hans
Old 14th December 2011, 11:30 AM   #503
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Originally Posted by TheRedWorm View Post
Edge, how do you know that it wasn't Satan behind the bible?

Bimp

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 11:37 AM   #504
Donn
Philosopher

Bimp? Is that how Inspector Clouseau would say it?
Old 14th December 2011, 11:47 AM   #505
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Bimp? Is that how Inspector Clouseau would say it?
I think it's similar to the internet saying, "quoted for trith."
Old 14th December 2011, 11:50 AM   #506
Donn
Philosopher

Which would make FTW something to do with alcohol..

Crazy man.
Old 14th December 2011, 01:06 PM   #507
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
He has noticed that it annoys some here, so now he will continue doing it. Standard behaviour of 5 year olds.

Hans
I kinda thought so. Just pathetic.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 01:30 PM   #508
dafydd
Banned

Sad.
Old 14th December 2011, 04:24 PM   #509
joobz
Tergiversator

Don't assume anything.

If I don't do, it I don't support it.

Not my problem and none of my buisness.

No maybe not but you direct it towards Christians and Christianity yes?
There is nothing in the new testament that is against gay marriage.
So I ask again, are you against gay marriage?
Do you believe Homosexuality is an abomination?
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 04:37 PM   #510
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Sure it does but I'm not going to beat slaves, or stone anyone? At least not as described.
If you wouldn't beat slaves and stone people as described how would you beat and stone them?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 06:58 PM   #511
Leumas
Banned

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
There is nothing in the new testament that is against gay marriage.
So I ask again, are you against gay marriage?
Do you believe Homosexuality is an abomination?

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Quote:
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1 Timothy 1:10
Quote:
For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 07:44 PM   #512
Paulhoff

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Paul

Old 14th December 2011, 08:34 PM   #513
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
If you wouldn't beat slaves and stone people as described how would you beat and stone them?
This is the 21st century. We have "meaningful and productive dialogue" with our slaves, prostitutes, disobedient children, and heathens. Get with the times.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:18 PM   #514
edge
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
That is not the point. The point is that some people, who claim to have god on their side, must obviously be wrong (since both sides in war claimed it). So why should we trust such people? Why should we trust you?

Hans

So you think that's always true for every war? I like the change in fonts from

time to time, what's the problem?
Old 14th December 2011, 09:54 PM   #515
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Rule 6
E4

This rule is intended to cover various kinds of disruptive posting. Primarily posting of commercial advertisements and spamming or flooding the forum by repeatedly posting identical, or very similar, content. It also covers such things as posting extremely large pictures that cause the page to display in an unusual manner and using excessive amounts of formatting such as large fonts, colour, and smilies that can make a thread difficult to read or even inaccessible.
Old 15th December 2011, 06:28 AM   #516
Paulhoff

Not everyone has GOOD EYES.

Paul

Old 15th December 2011, 06:51 AM   #517
Donn
Philosopher

Actually, the smaller Edge's fonts get the better. What's the beef?
Old 15th December 2011, 07:20 AM   #518
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Paulhoff View Post
Not everyone has GOOD EYES.

Paul

Or good brains.
Old 15th December 2011, 07:52 AM   #519
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing

God's plan is to disappear and let the universe proceed without Him, as if He never existed.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2011, 07:57 AM   #520
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

So you think that's always true for every war?
No, why should I think that? It only needs to be true for one war to show you cannot trust people when they say god in on their side.

Quote:

I like the change in fonts from

I haven't protested about your fonts. I know people like you do that to try to annoy, and I simply ignore it. If a post gets too hard to read, I simply don't.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy