ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 05:55 PM   #3641
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
You interpreted an absolutely clear sentence in such a way as to make it absurd, and then came back to share that with us?
You wrote:

If I was an atheist? I would be horrified by Stalin. Pol pot, Castro, et al
You didn't write that you were horrified; you wrote that you would be horrified if you were an atheist. I'm not even the first person who pointed this out.

Why?
Why what? If your "Why?" means why now, I hadn't visited this thread recently and didn't know you had responded. If you meant why did I originally respond to your post, it's because absurdities like that capture my attention.

IMO some "atheistic" dictatorships might more accurately be called "idolatrous" - in thrall to cults of personality, ideology, extreme nationalism etc. That's just my opinion, after some reflection - not responding to anything you've said.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 06:19 PM   #3642
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
You wrote:

You didn't write that you were horrified; you wrote that you would be horrified if you were an atheist. I'm not even the first person who pointed it out .
Yeah, It ain't that difficult. If I say that, for example, "if I was an atheist, I'd be horrified at what a catastrophe this thread has been for atheists" that does not mean that as a skeptic I am not horrified at what a catastrophe it has been.

Pretty straightforward. Just focus on the words next time.

Old 30th April 2017, 06:25 PM   #3643
Minoosh
Philosopher

Pretty straightforward. Just focus on the words next time.
Always.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 06:28 PM   #3644
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Always.
Well except for that post where you assumed all that stuff that wasn't there.
Old 30th April 2017, 06:30 PM   #3645
Peregrinus
Muse

As an atheist, I'm horrified - well, mildly irked - no, simply bemused - at what a train wreck of a discussion a dog can make.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 06:34 PM   #3646
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
As an atheist, I'm horrified - well, mildly irked - no, simply bemused - at what a train wreck of a discussion a dog can make.

Dogs are very good at making messes.
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 06:58 PM   #3647
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Huh, I'm not surprised at all.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:06 PM   #3648
Minoosh
Philosopher

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you follow me anyway
Would you have my baby?

See, I read the lyrics above to mean Person One isn't a carpenter and Person Two isn't a lady, either. Which would tick me off, if I was/were female (which I am).

Hey, it's the subjunctive. I didn't invent it.
Old 30th April 2017, 07:13 PM   #3649
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you follow me anyway
Would you have my baby?

See, I read the lyrics above to mean Person One isn't a carpenter and Person Two isn't a lady, either. Which would tick me off, if I was/were female (which I am).

Hey, it's the subjunctive. I didn't invent it.
There is a problem with your reasoning. It is quite obvious.

See if you figure it out.
Old 30th April 2017, 07:34 PM   #3650
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Are you religious?

If so, shouldn't you be more concerned with education and evangelism than with insults?

In all honesty, what do you think Jesus would say about your conduct if he were to read this thread?
halleyscomet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 07:45 PM   #3651
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Are you religious?

If so, shouldn't you be more concerned with education and evangelism than with insults?

In all honesty, what do you think Jesus would say about your conduct if he were to read this thread?
He'd tell me to tell you that there was no insult in that post.

By the way, isn't it a bit rich for you to be asserting that others have insulted people (wrongly here) after you polluted this thread with your cartoons?

Jesus would likely refer you to matthew 7:3.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:07 PM   #3652
Minoosh
Philosopher

Ooh! Teacher, teacher, I think I know this one! Is it the part where I say,

Quote:
Which would tick me off, if I was/were female (which I am).
But inherent in the lyrics of "If I Were a Carpenter" is the (fact? assumption?) that the narrator is not a carpenter. Otherwise, what would be the point? "Hey, I'm a carpenter, we're on the same socioeconomic level, let's get together." No, he's saying if his status were lower and hers higher, would she still love him for who he is?

I'm not on thin ice here; I could come up with scads of examples. They wouldn't have much to do with the topic, though.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:09 PM   #3653
halleyscomet
Philosopher

He'd tell me to tell you that there was no insult in that post.

By the way, isn't it a bit rich for you to be asserting that others have insulted people (wrongly here) after you polluted this thread with your cartoons?

Jesus would likely refer you to matthew 7:3.

Ahh, so your true god is snark.

You are a faithful, if inexpert acolyte.

As for me, while I am largely a deist, I have felt "the call" spoken of by so many religious leaders. It came to me in my Freshman year of college. One of our religion professors was asking very tough questions. He posed questions that sweet little kids fresh from Sunday school found terrifying. It was common for some students to leave the class in tears.

As the year progressed, something happened. People who'd been causal, even flippant about their faith, became very interested not just in the nuts and bolts of theology they'd ignored. They became personally and morally invested in the questions of WHY they believed. True, most simply turned away in disgust and left very negative reviews on end-of-semester comment cards, but a small number passed through the crucible and were stronger and more educated in their faith than they had ever been.

It was during this time that I learned my place in the cosmos was to question and test, not to force people to change their minds but to encourage them to look inward, to truly examine their faith. A faith unexamined, a faith untested, is worthless.

As with the college religion class, the success rate is low. Very few people actually rise to the challenge by revitalizing their faith. Most just dismiss the questions as a temptation from Satan or the mocking of a fool. Of course, that's the problem with sowing seed like in the parable. Not all the seed lands on fertile soil where it will take root and flourish. Sometimes the seed is cast upon a soul who stops reading as soon as they come up with an insult to post as a reply.

And you were called to snark. Good for you.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:12 PM   #3654
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ooh! Teacher, teacher, I think I know this one! Is it the part where I say,

But inherent in the lyrics of "If I Were a Carpenter" is the (fact? assumption?) that the narrator is not a carpenter. Otherwise, what would be the point? "Hey, I'm a carpenter, we're on the same socioeconomic level, let's get together." No, he's saying if his status were lower and hers higher, would she still love him for who he is?

I'm not on thin ice here; I could come up with scads of examples. They wouldn't have much to do with the topic, though.
No.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:15 PM   #3655
halleyscomet
Philosopher

What are the Effects Of Atheism?

No.

As I said, a faithful if inexpert acolyte.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:17 PM   #3656
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ahh, so your true god is snark.

You are a faithful, if inexpert acolyte.

As for me, while I am largely a deist, I have felt "the call" spoken of by so many religious leaders. It came to me in my Freshman year of college. One of our religion professors was asking very tough questions. He posed questions that sweet little kids fresh from Sunday school found terrifying. It was common for some students to leave the class in tears.

As the year progressed, something happened. People who'd been causal, even flippant about their faith, became very interested not just in the nuts and bolts of theology they'd ignored. They became personally and morally invested in the questions of WHY they believed. True, most simply turned away in disgust and left very negative reviews on end-of-semester comment cards, but a small number passed through the crucible and were stronger and more educated in their faith than they had ever been.

It was during this time that I learned my place in the cosmos was to question and test, not to force people to change their minds but to encourage them to look inward, to truly examine their faith. A faith unexamined, a faith untested, is worthless.

As with the college religion class, the success rate is low. Very few people actually rise to the challenge by revitalizing their faith. Most just dismiss the questions as a temptation from Satan or the mocking of a fool. Of course, that's the problem with sowing seed like in the parable. Not all the seed lands on fertile soil where it will take root and flourish. Sometimes the seed is cast upon a soul who stops reading as soon as they come up with an insult to post as a reply.

And you were called to snark. Good for you.
It wasn't snark, nor an insult.

Did you learn anything from the verse?

No more "funny" pictures? Pity.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:28 PM   #3657
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Today's Russia looks a LOT like Soviet Russia, just with a few changes on the name plates. Criticizing the establishment still lands you in jail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e84d051ff654
Old 30th April 2017, 08:31 PM   #3658
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Not all the seed lands on fertile soil where it will take root and flourish. Sometimes the seed is cast upon a soul who stops reading as soon as they come up with an insult to post as a reply.

It wasn't snark, nor an insult.

Did you learn anything from the verse?

No more "funny" pictures? Pity.

I rest my case.

Thank you for proving the thesis of my experiment. You are exceedingly reliable.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:16 PM   #3659
Minoosh
Philosopher

A correct position is never the minority position.
There was a time when the belief that the Earth is round as opposed to flat was a minority opinion.
That is really interesting, you have managed to grossly misinterpret my simple statement.

I am a bit surprised that I have to explain this, but:

a correct position is correct, and the number of adherents to that position is totally irrelevant.
This statement is different from your original statement. You have used the same tactic with me. You evade, then go on the offensive. Maybe your point isn't clear because it wasn't stated clearly.

It's possible that you think your statements are clear. I'm telling you, they're not.
Old 30th April 2017, 09:19 PM   #3660
Minoosh
Philosopher

No.
Clear as mud.

ETA: Now I'm tempted to look back at the "pollution" halleyscomet has imposed on the thread. But 92 pages, sheesh. Can someone point out the good bits?

Last edited by Minoosh; 30th April 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 30th April 2017, 11:11 PM   #3661
David Mo
Graduate Poster

The juxtaposition of these posts complaining that I have been insufficiently solicitous and the nonsensical primal scream of a post that preceded it is utterly magical.

Nothing else can possible be said about it.

Why doesn't TBD moderate "the somewhat grating and supercillious tone of his posts" they fiddle while Rome Moscow burns around them.
Is this man trying to speak to me? Unsuccessful attempt, I am sorry.
First learn how to discuss and then try it again. I will help you in what I will can.

Last edited by David Mo; 30th April 2017 at 11:12 PM.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2017, 11:33 PM   #3662
David Mo
Graduate Poster

Dogs are very good at making messes.
"Ladran, luego cabalgamos" (El Quijote)

"They bark, then we ride". Very appropriate for the occasion.

NOTE: In Spanish ladrar means also to bluster. Perro ladrador, poco mordedor: All bark and no bite.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st May 2017, 07:44 AM   #3663
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning Discussions surrounding a like or upvote/downvote facility is Forum Management content, and should only be discussed there. However, I sent the derail to AAH, as the person making the request for the like button has said that they will not be returning to the site. If anyone wants to start a thread in FMF about such a facility, they are welcome to do so.
Posted By:Agatha

Mod Info In the course of dealing with the derail, I noted that the thread was running slowly, so I will split to a continuation thread.
Posted By:Agatha

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan

Last edited by Agatha; 1st May 2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added link to continuation thread after creating it.
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy