ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #1001
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You too are avoiding the proposition I posed, namely…[blathersnip]
Looping past an obstacle into non-sequitur is your speciality. To quoque much?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #1002
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Evolutionary selection works on species, not cultures.

And just curious, which specifically is the "most intelligent and advanced" culture, in your opinion?

Judaism. They were/are a tribe. See my post #966.
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1003
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Judaism. They were/are a tribe. See my post #966.

Why do you consider them the most intelligent and advanced?
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1004
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Wow. There is such a thing as a stupid question.

It's simple. No religion has existed for long enough for any noticeable evolution to have taken place at all.

Then how come they (people of the Jewish faith/tribe/culture) are so intelligent and advanced? Their Bell Curve is way above most others.

Are you deliberately missing the point? Do you not accept that they are indeed way above the rest of us?

And why is it that they believe so strongly?
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #1005
Hokulele

Then how come they (people of the Jewish faith/tribe/culture) are so intelligent and advanced? Their Bell Curve is way above most others.

Are you deliberately missing the point? Do you not accept that they are indeed way above the rest of us?

Can you provide a link to the study showing their "Bell Curve" (whatever than means) being way above most others?
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM   #1006
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Why do you consider them the most intelligent and advanced?
Look at all the fields I mention. For a tiny fraction of the population in the both the US and the world, they are very numerous in fields of achievement and feature near the top. And they track themselves to confirm that they indeed rank well above the rest of us. They try not to let others know because it adds to antisemitism.

For someone who should be informed about religions and religious peoples and their achievements, I am surprised you ask.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #1007
Donn
Philosopher

Can you provide a link to the study showing their "Bell Curve" (whatever than means) being way above most others?
I have a feeling he can, with numbers and stats and all. Bell curves are his thing. Only, not now. Soon. Yes. When much scorn has been withstood and the goalposts have emigrated, we'll get the unfolding of enough splendid evidence to shake our doubting roots.

Yea, unto an entire paragraph's worth. It shall be.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #1008
Hokulele

Look at all the fields I mention. For a tiny fraction of the population in the both the US and the world, they are very numerous in fields of achievement and feature near the top. And they track themselves to confirm that they indeed rank well above the rest of us. They try not to let others know because it adds to antisemitism.

For someone who should be informed about religions and religious peoples and their achievements, I am surprised you ask.

So you do not have any studies to back this up? You are looking at an undefined measure of success in the US? How many Jewish people are at the top of their fields in, say, Japan?

Edit: Good gravy, re-reading your post sounds like a bizarre conspiracy theory that Jews are so successful, they have to pretend they aren't. Bizarre.

Last edited by Hokulele; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.
Hokulele is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #1009
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Oh, what a deflection. Never mind. If you cannot see the obvious...well.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #1010
Donn
Philosopher

They try not to let others know because it adds to antisemitism.
Wow. Dude. Your swastika is showing.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #1011
Hokulele

Oh, what a deflection. Never mind. If you cannot see the obvious...well.

Your claim, your obligation to support it. Stating it is "obvious" is extremely unhelpful. Any culture will position itself as being the best. Heck, just ask China whether or not their culture is the "most intelligent and advanced".

Argument by assertion isn't even worth the pixels used to display it.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #1012
Donn
Philosopher

Argument by assertion isn't even worth the pixels used to display it.
It does put the ass in assertion.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #1013
Beady
Philosopher

So tell me - was I delusional to claim I know what I saw? Could I prove it or even repeat it. Of course not.
I can't speak to ball lightning, since I am neither an electrician nor a physicist. Regarding the paranormal though, I don't know who said it and I can't quote it verbatim, but "I may not be able to disprove a particular paranormal claim, but I can generally cite verifiable evidence that the claim should be wrong."

Quote:
If you clearly plainly saw something that defies accepted physics, what would you believe. Your own experience, or scientists?
My own rule of thumb is that, when faced with the inexplicable, I tend to trust the most boring explanation I can think of. So far, it's kept me from making too big a fool of myself.

Quote:
My point (again) is that skeptics NEED a limited definition of reality to substantiate their belief that the supernatural is impossible.
There's no such thing as "a limited definition of reality." Something is either real or it isn't. As for the supernatural, it's been my experience that such phenomena tend to decrease as soon as I make it known I'm carrying a handgun.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #1014
Beady
Philosopher

Evolutionary selection works on species, not cultures.

And just curious, which specifically is the "most intelligent and advanced" culture, in your opinion?
The godliest, of course. I assume that would be the one with the most gods.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #1015
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The question is why they do so well. It's not the belief in the Abrahamic God and only a limited amount of it can be attributed to inherited traits. It's cultural. It's the investment and commitment parents take in the education of their children both intellectualky and emotionally. It's about role models who take an interest in the minds of their children who value intelligence as opposed to many Americans who resent the smart kid in class.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM   #1016
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
In better words. You missed the mark. But wisdom knows why? Do you?
You miss the reference. Judging by your reaction, the issues surrounding Robertson are sensitive to you.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #1017
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Johanabrahams View Post
"your claim and your burden of proof" . . .and me.
Prove your godliness oh "goddess". Go all omniscient or omnipotent. Well, can you? Making your crappy township suck less and prove your god like powers had something to do with it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #1018
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Wow. Dude. Your swastika is showing.

Any controversial discussion involving Judaism seems to attract that slanderous nasty perverted baseless accusation if one thinks that a person is not Jewish.

Shame on you. The moderators should remove such personal insults and ban you. You are trying to deflect an honest open debate. Or is the Jewish religion a sacred cow on this site?

I have a Jewish son and I admire Judaism for all its achievements. Go find a hole and crawl in it.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #1019
PartSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The question is why they do so well. It's not the belief in the Abrahamic God and only a limited amount of it can be attributed to inherited traits. It's cultural. It's the investment and commitment parents take in the education of their children both intellectualky and emotionally. It's about role models who take an interest in the minds of their children who value intelligence as opposed to many Americans who resent the smart kid in class.

I went to a school that had a large proportion of Jewish kids (it was the best), and I saw what you are talking about. Your proposition make sense in modern times . What it does not explain is the achievements over history going back as far as the times in Egypt.

Whatever the explanation for their intellectual achievements, my question is why such an intelligent group is also one of the most religious.
Old Today, 01:46 AM   #1020
fagin
Illuminator

I went to a school that had a large proportion of Jewish kids (it was the best), and I saw what you are talking about. Your proposition make sense in modern times . What it does not explain is the achievements over history going back as far as the times in Egypt.

Whatever the explanation for their intellectual achievements, my question is why such an intelligent group is also one of the most religious.
In my experience (my ex is Jewish and Israeli, my son is technically Jewish, although atheist, and I grew up in a Jewish heavy area and school, and er, some of my best friends are Jewish), it has nothing to do with inherent intelligence or brain power, per se, but mainly expectation and application.
Parents wanted their children to be professionals and aimed them accordingly.

Perhaps Jews (like women) have to do a bit better than average to get what us lazy anglo saxon type men take for granted.
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #1021
Johanabrahams
Critical Thinker

The Walking dead

Some are asking for a teaching again. Ok, no problem. This one is on the walking dead. Obviously that is me. I died as a human being and got born again as a godly being. So I have another live now. In my human being live I made it perfectly. Actually that is also one of things I hate about myself as a human being. Being perfect. Everything has to be perfect. They call it perfectionism. Caused me a lot of pain in my life trying to have this perfect life.

So there was I in Stanford with my big house, motorcars, good wife and first born. I was 28 and my life ahead looks very promising. And then I had another meeting with God. This was now my third one in my life up to then. This time He told me some more about being His child. My death and resurrection or my rebirth. And I had now this choice. Obviously I chose for the better. I chose to die and start living in His Life. It is just logic to do so also. Why should I go on building a life for the next approximately 30 years and then give it up again. A life wasted. And not even a quality life at that.
And then my faith is brought into reality by God.

First I died. No human being anymore. Then my job went. Then my family went. And together with my family my nation. These things are now established here. I have none of those. So I am a walking dead human being. Nothing to live for. That is now in human being life. I am just a nothing or even worse “rubbish”. Everyone look in another way when they see me. Nobody wants anything to do with me. This is usually the point where human beings take their life. Because there is none. Living is worthless now. So just hang yourself.

But as you know. I am the walking dead. I am still very much alive in my hometown. And I am very much alive here. Actually what I am here is exactly what I am there. This is been established now. “Rubbish” living. That is now according to human judgment. And you can all see that I have no problem with that. How can I being a godly being now. How can I having a live now that doesn’t stop. How can I with all the attributes of god. I am now the fountain of Love, Grace, Forgiveness, Joy, Self control, Long suffering, Righteousness, Holiness. I do not need it anymore. And I do not need to find it in life. Especially not in human life as that is a never ending struggle to find the attributes which are in God in human existence. And now having all this as part of my being, I have this influence also on others. In my presence they find what they are looking for. The character of God.

I am that.

And I teach that.

And you will find that as many has already find that. Mostly some has just partly found this and my live is now helping them to come into the fullness of it. This you can establish in my teachings in the other Christian forums and in my hometown which can be accessed on my Facebook page. So my Life which is not mine but that of God has now the same existence as that of God. He just exists to be the servant of man. Filling them with what they want. Some wants the bad. No problem. He created the bad for those that want it. You will see the murderers, thieves, rapists, selfish, foolish and then the ignorant. And then He is that for those that want to grow into His godliness. They grow up as children in the Life of their Father. Some has just started, some are a bit further and some are very near the top.

As for me. I reached the aged where He took me for a bride. Learning now to be married to Him. Obviously His children has a lot of problems with this. As I am now living in His Grace it is not a problem to just bestow Grace on them. Where Grace is giving forgiveness to the unworthy. Those fighting me, calling me names, assault me, getting court orders against me etc. making me the “rubbish”. I just smile and say: I forgive you. And whalla! They start living in my Grace. That is their problem. The more they make me the “rubbish” the more they establish God’s grace. They are caught by their own mistake. And they are kept there by a spirit of pride.

And:
Here I am. And this is now your problem too. Living in my Grace. You believed Grace doesn’t exist. So in the face of its “existence” what are you going to say now? Let us see.
Johanabrahams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #1022
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Again: this is not a lesson, this is self aggrandizement.

A lesson would entail something like a goal and instructions how to attain it.
All you have done is proclaim that you are a magical super being and that people who don't believe you are inferior. That is not how teaching works.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #1023
Donn
Philosopher

Shame on you. The moderators should remove such personal insults and ban you. You are trying to deflect an honest open debate. Or is the Jewish religion a sacred cow on this site?

I have a Jewish son and I admire Judaism for all its achievements. Go find a hole and crawl in it.
If I am wrong in my harsh assessment of you, it's only because you are so incomprehensible.

I took this..
.. to be excusing antisemitism under the disguise of praise.

Your whole line of argument, in its confused fashion, is weird. You simply state that the Jewish people are genetically superior, have an actual God guiding them and this is why they have been targeted by hatred—therefor they must hide these facts.

It's a pile of rubbish in stupid sauce.

Please report me to the mods if you feel so strongly.
Old Today, 04:19 AM   #1024
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Here I am. And this is now your problem too. Living in my Grace. You believed Grace doesn’t exist. So in the face of its “existence” what are you going to say now? Let us see.
Prove this grace exists. All you've established is that you ruined your real life and made a pretend life.

Last edited by Craig4; Today at 04:26 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy