IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Gladys Berejiklian , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 12th January 2022, 05:18 AM   #841
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Lots of countries have presidents.
Is that a reason to follow suit?? Why can't we be a bit different, a bit more Australian, if we are going to go to all this trouble? We're creative enough with nicknames, surely!

Quote:
The governor of an Australian state is not the head of that state's government. That's the Premier. The governor of a state is the representative of the Crown in that state. Hence, they would be as obsolete as the Governor General in an Australian republic.
Yes, I know the difference. Actually, the governors, both state and federal, deputise for the Crown, who is our official head of state right now. They are sock-puppets, if you will. So they are in effect the Head of State today, which is precisely the position a classical republic president should occupy.

As to the powers of the position, that's a debate to come. John Kerr at least showed how it could be abused...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 05:20 AM   #842
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

What purpose would a state Governor serve that could not be adequately served by the Premiers? Non-partisan overview is the only one I can think of. Governors who are appointed by the state governments would not be non-partisan, since those that appoint them are from the parties. So why have the additional level of executive?
There's LOTS of bus-stops, surf-clubs and fetes to be opened across the country every year. Far more than one person could cover.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 04:21 PM   #843
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Of course, you might believe that state parliaments are irrelevant but that is not how it works in Australia.
No, my father is the one who thinks that the states shouldn't exist, not me.
Old 12th January 2022, 04:24 PM   #844
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Meanwhile, it turns out that the rules changed while Novak was in the air.
Old 12th January 2022, 07:50 PM   #845
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Meanwhile, it turns out that the rules changed while Novak was in the air.
Quote:
The question he must answer is this: Is Djokovic "a risk to the health, safety or good order of the Australian community or a segment of the Australian community", as stated in the immigration act?
I would like to know the answer to this question posed in the link and the act. If he does have Covid 19 then the answer is yes. Otherwise, the only way I can see that the answer could be yes is rather artificial. Maybe his actions show how stupid the federal government is acting.
Old 12th January 2022, 07:55 PM   #846
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

No, my father is the one who thinks that the states shouldn't exist, not me.
States do seem to be getting less relevant nowadays. They seem to be only a source of unnecessary rivalry and conflict more than anything.
Old 12th January 2022, 08:03 PM   #847
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
States do seem to be getting less relevant nowadays. They seem to be only a source of unnecessary rivalry and conflict more than anything.
Yeah, I can see the argument. But I don't think the difficulty of abolishing the states is worth the reward at this time. Furthermore there's no organised movement to abolish the states like there is to establish the republic.
Old 12th January 2022, 08:13 PM   #848
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wow. If anyone wants to look at the executive power of the states, I think the last two years demonstrate how powerful they are. The Commonwealth exercises power in the area of trade, income taxes and defence, and significant powers they are, but the states run the rest. Health, education, training, community services, aged care (in the main), child care, policing, transport, planning, I could go on, are all on the states.

And I think I can put a very strong argument that most states do a better job than the commonwealth.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 08:24 PM   #849
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Wow. If anyone wants to look at the executive power of the states, I think the last two years demonstrate how powerful they are. The Commonwealth exercises power in the area of trade, income taxes and defence, and significant powers they are, but the states run the rest. Health, education, training, community services, aged care (in the main), child care, policing, transport, planning, I could go on, are all on the states.
Yes, but the question is whether they should be.

And I think I can put a very strong argument that most states do a better job than the commonwealth.
Decentralisation is the main argument, from my point of view. Distribute and focus. The counterarguments are consistency and not duplicating effort in different regions.

I can see both sides, but to me the reasons to change what we've got, which basically works, are not compelling enough for me to want us to spend a great deal of effort on it at this time.
Old 12th January 2022, 08:36 PM   #850
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm certainly grateful that the Morrison government wasn't in charge of the covid arrangements for this state.

I wonder how the people of NSW feel about this . . . .
Old 12th January 2022, 08:40 PM   #851
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes, but the question is whether they should be.

Decentralisation is the main argument, from my point of view. Distribute and focus. The counterarguments are consistency and not duplicating effort in different regions.

I can see both sides, but to me the reasons to change what we've got, which basically works, are not compelling enough for me to want us to spend a great deal of effort on it at this time.
Well as long as nobody brings up the Whitlamian “regional Government” idea, which briefly proposed getting rid of the states and replacing them with mega councils. Thankfully that idea died a quick and deserving death.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 08:48 PM   #852
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well as long as nobody brings up the Whitlamian “regional Government” idea, which briefly proposed getting rid of the states and replacing them with mega councils. Thankfully that idea died a quick and deserving death.
I won't if you won't.
Old 14th January 2022, 09:05 PM   #853
Wildy
Adelaidean

The Minister has cancelled Djokovic's visa. And Djokovic's looking to fight it. I'm guessing at this point he's trying to get himself in a position to play in Australian tennis competitions within the next three years since this case is not going to be sorted for him to play this year.

I originally said that it'd seem petty, but after finding out about Renata Voráčová I don't feel that way any more.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:11 PM   #854
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
The Minister has cancelled Djokovic's visa. And Djokovic's looking to fight it. I'm guessing at this point he's trying to get himself in a position to play in Australian tennis competitions within the next three years since this case is not going to be sorted for him to play this year.

I originally said that it'd seem petty, but after finding out about Renata Voráčová I don't feel that way any more.
What’s interesting is that Djokovic’s expulsion crime is that he is likely to embolden the anti-vaxxer community. What is Scumo going to do with George Christensen?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #855
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I would like to know the answer to this question posed in the link and the act. If he does have Covid 19 then the answer is yes. Otherwise, the only way I can see that the answer could be yes is rather artificial. Maybe his actions show how stupid the federal government is acting.
I think I nailed it in my prediction above.

Quote:
Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, personally cancelled the unvaccinated world No 1’s visa, arguing his presence in Australia could incite “civil unrest” and encourage others to eschew vaccination against Covid-19.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...d-cancellation

If the government had acted a week before he came into the country then their actions would be reasonable. But these grounds appear to be rather stupid. No actual evidence of civil unrest or people saying vaccination is unnecessary has been produced as a result of him coming into the country. He has been in the country for several days so if such beliefs are reasonable then such things would have already happened.
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #856
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think I nailed it in my prediction above.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...d-cancellation

If the government had acted a week before he came into the country then their actions would be reasonable. But these grounds appear to be rather stupid. No actual evidence of civil unrest or people saying vaccination is unnecessary has been produced as a result of him coming into the country. He has been in the country for several days so if such beliefs are reasonable then such things would have already happened.
I suspect you are right and the court will find in Djokovic’s favour tomorrow, which will be a huge failure for Morrison.

And Djokovic cannot lose if this is the outcome. If he loses he will lay the blame at Morrison. Which he will, as he is an obnoxious person.

Morrison will be at fault, but it doesn’t make Djokovic a less obnoxious person.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM   #857
Wildy
Adelaidean

It may also be that the government doesn't care about the court decision, since this whole farce could be designed to take people's minds off of how badly the government screwed up getting RATs for the country.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM   #858
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It may also be that the government doesn't care about the court decision, since this whole farce could be designed to take people's minds off of how badly the government screwed up getting RATs for the country.
Oh I don’t know. Scumo will blame Victoria if Djokovic is allowed to play and his supporters will believe this proven liar.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM   #859
Wildy
Adelaidean

Oh I don’t know. Scumo will blame Victoria if Djokovic is allowed to play and his supporters will believe this proven liar.
TBH when there was that talk of the Victorian Government being asked to sponsor Djokovic's visa, I thought that that was the plan.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 AM   #860
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

This is such a fiasco! What "health panels" did Tennis Australia and the Victorian governments employ originally and what made them think that they had the authority to grant exemptions to the vaccination requirements for foreign travellers?

And if they had this authority, why did Border Force officials retrospectively change the rules?
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #861
dann
Penultimate Amazing

My favourite (= my only) YouTube doctor, even before the pandemic, Dr Rohin Francis, has made a new video inspired by the Djokovic case:

Quote:
The wellness community is home to people claiming to cure cancer with juice, to fight autoimmune disease with apple cider vinegar, to reverse heart disease with essential oils. Most normal people would laugh at all of those, so why are you trusting the same people with their views on the pandemic?
That same mentality causes people to say things like 'the vaccine is toxic,' or that 'health is a simple individual choice' rather than a complex intermingling of dozens of variables like genetics, economics, circumstances, luck, along with lifestyle choices.

'If I lead a pure life of daily meditation, hot yoga, juice cleanses and journaling in my six-bedroom house, why should I have to take responsibility for poor, fat people's health. I'm sorry that people are disabled, but that's really not something I want to think about when I'm practicing my daily gratitude. Why should I cover my face? Why should I get vaccinated?'

There are criticisms to be made about any medical intervention, but they have to be based on evidence not a gut feeling. You can either be suspicious of bad science or suspicious of science. There's a world of difference. The latter, where Novac Djokovic seems to fall, at least when it comes to health - I'm pretty sure he's absolutely fine with the science behind his tennis racket - they base their decision on the woo that runs through wellness. The former, the group I like to think I belong to, suspicious of bad science but not of science in general, attempts to pick the quality of evidence apart. And it's really hard to be objective about yourself and try to figure out your own biases about how you interpret data, but it's better than believing in hocus pocus.
How Athletes Fall for Pseudoscience, and Wellness Leads to Conspiracy Theories (Medlife Crisis, Jan 9, 2022 - 19:09 min.)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; Today at 07:34 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics