ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor

Old 24th October 2011, 08:05 PM   #121
Hershele Ostropoler
Scholar

Perhaps because I'm a law-school dropout, I have a deep and abiding love for pseudolaw in general and tax denialists and FOTL in particular. FOTL also interests me in that, I mean, I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the non-racist parts of the underlying philosophy, just, they've clearly (to me) taken a wrong turn somewhere. Coincidentally, I was bopping around RationalWiki this afternoon and I happened across the FOTL entry, right before I saw this thread.

I also have a soft spot for any claim -- for any CT -- that They (whoever They are) hide clues plain sight. The Denver airport, Masonic symbols on money, that sort of thing.

Medieval denialism also amuses me by its sheer not-even-wrongitude.

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
I will slightly disagree with that. While I don't find it amusing when person y suffers because of person x believing in a CT, I think the most hilarious CT is so because its adherents keep harming themselves (legally) because of their asinine CT.

In other words, I vote for FOTL.
Yeah, that could be some of it for me too. Believing it is its own punishment.

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I'm with the vote for Icke's Jewish Shape Shifting Lizard Overlords.
As I understand it, you really don't have a choice.

Originally Posted by hokie View Post
What about the claim that Kentucky Fried Chicken had to change its name to KFC when the government learned that the chicken meat was actually cell cultures grown in big vats and pressed into lumps. The claim was that there was no chicken in KFC.
I thought that was propagated by Snopes?

Last edited by Hershele Ostropoler; 24th October 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Hershele Ostropoler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2011, 08:44 PM   #122
hokie
Scholar

Just when I was getting used to the artificial lumps they have to go and ruin it by using real chickens again.
hokie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2011, 02:43 AM   #123
8den
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well after faked the moon landing, and then boasted about it using the shining

http://store.sacredmysteriesmarketpl...art-1-dvd.html
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2012, 12:40 AM   #124
real good soup
New Blood

i very much like the conspiracy theory that an alien race from nibiru created humans. and they have now infiltrated the human governments around the world bent on world domination.that one always cheers me up when im sad.

Last edited by real good soup; 25th January 2012 at 12:41 AM.
real good soup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2012, 10:07 AM   #125
rambaldi
Thinker

Originally Posted by ComfySlippers View Post
FOTL-Waffle is a good example of a con/myth which, for the most part, is so ludicrously rubbish that it is hilarious. However FOTL-Waffle has also had dire consequences for some of its deluded followers, either them being conned out of money to "learn the magic words", by having relatively small Court fines increased or being sent to Prison / Psychiatric units.
You make that sound like it is a bad thing.

P.S.:
The funniest? Nibiru, especially considering how often it was supposed to be visible already.
2008: It will be visible in 2009
2009: It will be visible in 2010
2010: It will be visible in 2011
2011: It will be visible in 2012

Last edited by rambaldi; 25th January 2012 at 10:11 AM.
rambaldi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2012, 12:47 PM   #126
Greedo
Too weird to live, too rare to die

Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
You make that sound like it is a bad thing.

P.S.:
The funniest? Nibiru, especially considering how often it was supposed to be visible already.
2008: It will be visible in 2009
2009: It will be visible in 2010
2010: It will be visible in 2011
2011: It will be visible in 2012

Wasn't Nibiru originally supposed to come around in 2003?
Old 27th January 2012, 11:33 AM   #127
sparky67
New Blood

Hi guys-long time reader,first time poster from Australia.

For me,the most entertainly absurd one is David Icke's Reptilian Shapeshifter theory.
Now,with a lot of conspiracy theories,you can see how they had their basis in a few reasonable ideas and emotions,even if the leaps they make are wayyyyyyyy off.9/11 Truthers start with the reasonable premise that governments often lie-(think Nixon and Watergate)-then it all goes pear-shaped when they believe the most documented day of modern times was somehow covered up.Anti-vaxers start with the reasonable fear of sharp needles,viruses and poisons and then,ignoring how vaccination uses the way they work for good, decide doctors and Big Pharma are out to get us with them.
But Reptilian people???? WTF? How would a mammal transform to a reptile? Why are all the supposed 'shapeshifting' videos shot on damaged,muddy film? Why would Kermit want to rule our lives anyway? How educated thinking people can believe this is a t0tal mystery.How can somebody honestly think the Queen is a LIZARD????? If anybody here can explain how they make these inane mental sins against biology and anthropology and not feel like clowns,I'd love to know.
sparky67 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2012, 01:32 PM   #128
SanityGap
Critical Thinker

Anything Icke is a winner.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:58 PM   #129
Gazpacho
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Just as Charles Manson could find a race war prophecy in any Beatles song, it is impossible to make a film or, really, any art whatsoever that does not validate Illuminati CTs.
Old 30th January 2012, 04:41 PM   #130
slowsmile
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
Just as Charles Manson could find a race war prophecy in any Beatles song, it is impossible to make a film or, really, any art whatsoever that does not validate Illuminati CTs.
Very much like the long thread on Icke about "Illuminati Symbolism in Album Covers";

http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=6366

which appears to include anything with an eye, a triangle or pyramid, and anything "satanic" (ie just about every heavy metal album cover) - and strangely enough the Osmonds.

I think I might start a thread over there on Illuminati references in song lyrics and kick off with "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool"
slowsmile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2012, 02:18 AM   #131
John Albert
Illuminator

When I was a young lad in the 1980s, the father of one of my friends was sort of an antisemitic CTist. He must have been on the mailing list of lots of paranoid hate groups, because there was always a lot of wingnut literature lying around their house from the John Birch Society and various "survivalist" and Neo-Nazi organizations. My friend's dad was one of those guys who had a home office that he called his "den," with bookshelves, a couch, and a huge wooden desk in the middle of the room that was always covered with papers. He also had a liquor cabinet in there, so us teenagers would often duck in there to gank some of his booze.

Hanging behind his desk, he used to have an "org chart"-style map of the One-World Government Conspiracy, not unlike this one:

Originally Posted by BaaBaa View Post

But his was like 4' x 3' in size, had better production values, and was mounted in a cheap metal frame. It had little drawings and symbols depicting the various groups. The Illuminati of course were represented by the pyramid-eye symbol, and the Freemasons by their square-and-compass. The Federal Reserve System was prominently featured near the center, with branches extending to many of the other groups. The Trilateral Commission, I recall, had the American, British, and Israeli flags all bound together on a single platform. Most of the organizations in the above drawing (the UN, the Rockefellers, the Bilderberg Group, etc.) were represented, along with probably a few more, and the thing was just a tangled mess of lines and arrows connecting each organization to the others.

That drawing used to confuse and amaze me. On one occasion, his dad walked by in the hallway while I was in the den staring at it. He entered the room and asked me, "So, what do you think of that?" I told him I was trying to figure it out, and he replied, "Well when you do, you let me know, because that's the mess we're in right now."

Back then, I always thought my friend's dad was kind of nutty and a little scary. But now when I think back, I just remember him as a paunchy middle-aged guy who spent a lot of time drinking cheap beer in front of the TV.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain

Last edited by John Albert; 31st January 2012 at 02:40 AM.
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2012, 05:34 PM   #132
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
When I was a young lad in the 1980s, the father of one of my friends was sort of an antisemitic CTist. He must have been on the mailing list of lots of paranoid hate groups, because there was always a lot of wingnut literature lying around their house from the John Birch Society and various "survivalist" and Neo-Nazi organizations. My friend's dad was one of those guys who had a home office that he called his "den," with bookshelves, a couch, and a huge wooden desk in the middle of the room that was always covered with papers. He also had a liquor cabinet in there, so us teenagers would often duck in there to gank some of his booze.

Hanging behind his desk, he used to have an "org chart"-style map of the One-World Government Conspiracy, not unlike this one:

But his was like 4' x 3' in size, had better production values, and was mounted in a cheap metal frame. It had little drawings and symbols depicting the various groups. The Illuminati of course were represented by the pyramid-eye symbol, and the Freemasons by their square-and-compass. The Federal Reserve System was prominently featured near the center, with branches extending to many of the other groups. The Trilateral Commission, I recall, had the American, British, and Israeli flags all bound together on a single platform. Most of the organizations in the above drawing (the UN, the Rockefellers, the Bilderberg Group, etc.) were represented, along with probably a few more, and the thing was just a tangled mess of lines and arrows connecting each organization to the others.

That drawing used to confuse and amaze me. On one occasion, his dad walked by in the hallway while I was in the den staring at it. He entered the room and asked me, "So, what do you think of that?" I told him I was trying to figure it out, and he replied, "Well when you do, you let me know, because that's the mess we're in right now."

Back then, I always thought my friend's dad was kind of nutty and a little scary. But now when I think back, I just remember him as a paunchy middle-aged guy who spent a lot of time drinking cheap beer in front of the TV.
Wait. UNICEF ?!

Also, if the arrow between the Mafia and the CIA points in both directions, does that mean the Mafia has some influence over the CIA?

More also, where is the FBI? How can you have a conspiracy involving the Mafia and four dozen other entities without mentioning the FBI?

Even more also: the NEA? Really?

Last edited by Ladewig; 31st January 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2012, 08:12 PM   #133
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Mapplethorpe was obviously an Illuminatus.
Old 2nd February 2012, 02:36 AM   #134
Gazpacho
Master Poster

That's listed with a bunch of non-governmental groups (in the lower right corner) so it is probably the National Education Association, which is unabashedly left-wing or was the last time I read its newsletter.
Originally Posted by BaaBaa View Post
Mapplethorpe was obviously an Illuminatus.

Obviously.

Last edited by Gazpacho; 2nd February 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Gazpacho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:43 AM   #135
Hershele Ostropoler
Scholar

Wait. UNICEF ?!
It's part of the U.N. And it helps people,which is clearly un-American.
Hershele Ostropoler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:50 AM   #136
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
This chart is much simpler, cleaner, and have fewer connections and thus less susceptible to error (and more accurate too), updated for current times:

ETA: Apologies to my non-US readers, maybe I'm a wee biased here...
Old 4th February 2012, 12:08 PM   #137
Ilooklike ACrowley
Scholar

I always find humour in the fact that crop circles were very basic when they first came into the public domain and now are more intricate. Were we really expected to believe that beings coming from light years away were a little more remedial in the seventies?
Ilooklike ACrowley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2012, 09:27 PM   #138
Thinker

Didn't see truthism in here.
Also it was apparently updated today.
I don't think I could read it again to find out what though.
100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2012, 11:33 PM   #139
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

Originally Posted by 100 View Post
Didn't see truthism in here.
Also it was apparently updated today.
I don't think I could read it again to find out what though.
" The sun is a cube, not a sphere".

I was going to call Poe on that site but it's spelling is too good for it to be insincere...,
Old 9th February 2012, 05:58 AM   #140
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
Speaking of Philidelphia, what about the theory that the U.S. Navy tested an "invisibilty cloak" / time travel device on the deck of a destroyer there.
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

The ship supposedly was the USS Eldridge

However looks like woo

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

Some researchers have erroneously concluded that degaussing has a connection with making an object invisible. Degaussing is a process in which a system of electrical cables are installed around the circumference of ship's hull, running from bow to stern on both sides. A measured electrical current is passed through these cables to cancel out the ship's magnetic field. Degaussing equipment was installed in the hull of Navy ships and could be turned on whenever the ship was in waters that might contain magnetic mines, usually shallow waters in combat areas. It could be said that degaussing, correctly done, makes a ship "invisible" to the sensors of magnetic mines, but the ship remains visible to the human eye, radar, and underwater listening devices.

After many years of searching, the staff of the Operational Archives and independent researchers have not located any official documents that support the assertion that an invisibility or teleportation experiment involving a Navy ship occurred at Philadelphia or any other location.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2012, 04:24 PM   #141
CORed
Philosopher

^
Watch this and tell me it isn't hilarious:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Here
When I've looked at web sites that promote the chemtrail nonsense, I've been impressed by how much wrong they can pack into so little space. If you have even rudimentary knowledge of meteorology, you will have to look hard to find a single sentence that doesn't contain a ridiculous error.

Also, for more hilarity, google or search on youtube for "cottage cheese clouds". For some reason, the chemtrail nutters are absolutely convinced that altocumulus and cirrocumulus clouds are "not natural" and are part of the whole chemtrail conspiracy
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2012, 12:48 PM   #142
ComfySlippers
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
...Also, for more hilarity, google or search on youtube for "cottage cheese clouds"....
I'd never heard of this before and, in a way, wish I still hadn't.

That people stand around videoing clouds and contrails baffles the heck out of me. Clouds have been around an awfully long time. They are not a new thing

NIGHTMARE ON COTTAGE CHEESE ST. CHEMICAL CLOUDS DEVOUR MAUI !
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

...Should I laugh or cry?

Last edited by ComfySlippers; 21st February 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: YouTube link iffy
ComfySlippers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:28 AM   #143
dc1971
Banned

Glenn Beck University always made me laugh!
dc1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:04 PM   #144
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Why is it I want to scream at them to get out of Mom and Dad's basement more?
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:16 PM   #145
BravesFan
Banned

The Chem trails thing.....is everybody ON DOPE?????? dear lord people will believe ANYTHING!
BravesFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2012, 09:36 AM   #146
John Albert
Illuminator

I've always found the conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Kurt Cobain to be quite amusing.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2012, 09:57 AM   #147
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
The world was a much better place before the internet gave crazies a forum.
Harlan Ellison called it: "God----it! The world is just filling up with more and more idiots! And the computer is giving them access to the world! They're spreading their stupidity! At least they were contained before—now they're on the loose everywhere!"
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2012, 02:55 PM   #148
Fly Poster
Thinker

Rainbows: How do they ******* work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

... What's interesting is that EVERY person from the UK has turned out to be a perp. Amazing. And when you visit TheFlyposter's YouTube profile page, s/he's from the UK"
Fly Poster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2012, 07:07 PM   #149
Bamse
New Blood

Unhappy Funny / Entertaining ?

I dunno if the conspiracy theories about Anders Behring Breivik, Israel behind 22.July and cluesforum's "proof" of false video from Breiviks court can classify as funny or entertaining.

But they are sure wild...
Bamse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2012, 12:03 PM   #150
Benjamin Linus
Student

The purple teletubby is gay.
Benjamin Linus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2012, 04:12 PM   #151
CORed
Philosopher

I'd never heard of this before and, in a way, wish I still hadn't.

That people stand around videoing clouds and contrails baffles the heck out of me. Clouds have been around an awfully long time. They are not a new thing

NIGHTMARE ON COTTAGE CHEESE ST. CHEMICAL CLOUDS DEVOUR MAUI !
I AGREE

...Should I laugh or cry?
I think a lot of the chemtrailers never really looked at the sky until they heard about the chemtrail CT. I often see claims that things I have seen all my life (persistent contrails, cirrocumulus clouds, etc.) are new phenomena. It's probably true that there are more contrails now than there were when I was a kid, but that's because there's more air traffic.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2012, 10:10 AM   #152
Philosopher

The Census is a conspiracy!
http://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=164778

And it just happens to intersect with Freemen.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories