ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags comic strips , CT humor

Old 6th February 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

Don't Wake the Sheeple!

XKCD warns us to not wake the Sheeple!

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wake_up_sheeple.png

Mouseover Text: You will be led to judgement like lambs to the slaughter--a simile whose existence, I might add, will not do your species any favors.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
bjornart
Master Poster

I'm looking forward to the action movie based on this. There were some good ideas in the xkcd-forum thread.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

i beleive XKCD asks if you are not embedding the image to link to the comic page instead, not the image

http://xkcd.com/1013/
Old 6th February 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Alareth
Philosopher

Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post
i beleive XKCD asks if you are not embedding the image to link to the comic page instead, not the image

Which would be contrary to the line under every strip that reads

Quote:
Image URL (for hotlinking/embedding): http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wake_up_sheeple.png
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2012, 10:52 AM   #5
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Which would be contrary to the line under every strip that reads
please re-read my post

Quote:
i believe XKCD asks if you are not embedding the image to link to the comic page instead, not the image
Old 6th February 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
kevsta
RBL CHeck Failed

and which would the the correct SEO best practice as images do not accrue pagerank, but the pages they are on, do.

in this case however the link is nofollowed anyway, so it wouldn't make that much difference to him apart from there being more chance of a visitor clicking more pages into the site from the page link than the image link.

ps lol'd at the cartoon.
"The world will soon wake up to the reality that everyone is broke and can collect nothing from the bankrupt, who are owed unlimited amounts by the insolvent, who are attempting to make late payments on a bank holiday in the wrong country, with an unacceptable currency, against defaulted collateral, of which nobody is sure who holds title." - Anonymous

Last edited by kevsta; 6th February 2012 at 11:51 AM.
kevsta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

please re-read my post
Argh, I was just trying to avoid an illegal hotlink. I'd edit my post if I still could.
Old 7th February 2012, 04:28 AM   #8
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Myron Proudfoot View Post
Argh, I was just trying to avoid an illegal hotlink. I'd edit my post if I still could.
xkcd is specificaly mentioned as hotlink friendly...
(see http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=224939 )

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

The better reason to link to the page over the image itself is that you miss the mouseover text with just the image.

Quote:
You will be led to judgement like lambs to the slaughter--a simile whose existence, I might add, will not do your species any favors.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Alareth
Philosopher

Linking to xkcd got me my only yellow card.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories