ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2018, 04:17 PM   #41
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The tone of the clerk screaming? I've seen seriously injured people whose screams didn't have that tone.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:20 PM   #42
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Another quote for your signature?
On what do you base this assertion on?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:21 PM   #43
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
On what do you base this assertion on?
Body of work?
Old 30th December 2018, 04:34 PM   #44
bluesjnr

Body of work?
If you have a problem with me quoting posts in my sig that reference my avatar or forum name that are years out of date then please elaborate.

Would you be willing to provide the evidence that the "body of work" of my posts pertains to me fishing for quotes for my signature?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:57 PM   #45
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

If you have a problem with me quoting posts in my sig that reference my avatar or forum name that are years out of date then please elaborate.

Would you be willing to provide the evidence that the "body of work" of my posts pertains to me fishing for quotes for my signature?
Lol

Happy New Year, mate.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:17 PM   #46
Lambchops
Muse

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
The tone of the clerk screaming? I've seen seriously injured people whose screams didn't have that tone.
Because there are objectively correct ways to scream in any given situation, regardless of the individuals involved.
Old 30th December 2018, 10:34 PM   #47
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The screams at 3:09 will haunt my dreams forever. Due to massive hormonal changes and conditioning by the media,

<snip>

You might be right. Testosterone supplements and reality shows could explain that level of aggression.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:21 AM   #48
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
If that is all that it takes to set you off like that, you need to get some meds. "Brittle" folks like that do nothing to help the damaged image the left has at the moment, nor advance any type of liberal goal.
True. But this is a mental health thing, not a left/right thing. Trump is rapidly approaching this same level of brittleness.

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Exactly retail and possibly customer service are the wrong career choices for him if he is that fragile. Maybe he was having a bad day, but physically assaulting someone is a few steps to far over the line. He should have served the guy and gotten on with life.
Assuredly so.

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
There's some evidence that MAGA Guy was at least inclined to do a little opportunistic needling. About halfway through the video, it looks like the sales associate has decided to sell MAGA Guy the juice he was looking for, to get him out of the store and avoid the threatened consequences. Then at the register the customer says something like "Capitalism wins again!" which sets the sales associate back to ranting. (MAGA guy then says, "Do my bidding!" but at that point it already was too late to make any difference.)

If I were in a situation like that, and the most important thing on my mind was really to get my wife the nicotine fix she needed "for her health" as quickly as possible, once I'd reached the point where the clerk reluctantly is going to let me buy it after all, I'd shut up. I might (forgive me my human frailty) fire off some gloating parting shot after I had the juice, sales receipt, and change or returned charge card in my hands. Not before.

None of that excuses the associate's bizarre overall behavior. Just pointing out that the customer, depending on whether or not he really only wants to make the purchase, is either a bit of a jerk himself, or a bit dim.
****-stirrer Supreme. Did you see the look on the black guy's face too? He did NOT want to be anywhere near this fracas, right from the start of the video.

No you haven't. Seriously injured people usually don't have the energy to scream very much. So you are probably talking about yourself getting a splinter.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 06:25 AM   #49
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

By the way... voting for Trump because you want more affordable health care? I got the impression he was doing the opposite
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 07:45 AM   #50
baron
Philosopher

You don't understand. These days you can seriously injure someone by expressing a different opinion.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:55 PM   #51
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
You don't understand. These days you can seriously injure someone by expressing a different opinion.
It's a wonder you survived, then.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:33 AM   #52
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

We are seeing this here because testerone is an absurd right winger fixation with its set of conspiracy theories.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Soy_boy
Yeah, I had to look that one up, too.

What I don't understand is that the employee in the video doesn't strike me as the least bit feminine, or effeminate. He's hyper-aggressive, verbally and physically. He's engaged in this ritualistic dominance contest with the customer, as they each try to give orders and assert who is in charge. The employee's voice is not particularly high pitched. He has a full beard and is wearing stereotypically male clothing.

The dude is a stereotypical male in every way. I suppose he could be more "masculine" if he had actually punched the customer, instead of just making angry, vaguely threatening, gestures.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 1st January 2019 at 09:56 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:51 AM   #53
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Barring provocation prior to the film sequence, the clerk was a jerk. This incident is not about race (ie, what "doing X while X" normally references on ISF), but it does speak to intolerance.

Perhaps our resident team of commenters bemoaning posts that do deal with "doing X while X" can explain what the misleading thread title choice is all about.
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:24 AM   #54
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Barring provocation prior to the film sequence, the clerk was a jerk. This incident is not about race (ie, what "doing X while X" normally references on ISF), but it does speak to intolerance.

Perhaps our resident team of commenters bemoaning posts that do deal with "doing X while X" can explain what the misleading thread title choice is all about.
It has all the components of a doing X while X, just not in the usual order. This has been explained in the OP.

Please dig a bit harder and find some outrage.

Old 2nd January 2019, 02:23 AM   #55
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It has all the components of a doing X while X, just not in the usual order. This has been explained in the OP.

Please dig a bit harder and find some outrage.

It still has nothing to do with the guy being white.

"Buying Vape Juice While Being a Trump Supporter"

would have been far more accurate.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:37 AM   #56
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

"Trolling a Trump-hater (or "Cuck" if you will) While Buying Vape Juice" would be even more accurate.
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:06 AM   #57
pharphis
Graduate Poster

would it have happened if he was black? something else?

Speculation, of course, but I doubt it
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:28 AM   #58
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

I fail to see how this undercuts the point of the "X while black" threads.

Let's assume that the clerk's anti-Trump predisposition prevented him from serving a customer who was otherwise acting normally. Who is denying that political hostility exists and prevents some people from behaving respectably? Seems that in all these "while black" threads, certain members go to great logical leaps to explain away pretty clear racial animus.

Being black isn't the same as espousing a political opinion. Morality aside, "Trump supporter" isn't a protected class. A clerk having a shitfit over a Trump shirt and refusing service is legal, where discriminating against a black customer for being black is not.
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:01 PM   #59
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Let's assume that the clerk's anti-Trump predisposition prevented him from serving a customer who was otherwise acting normally. Who is denying that political hostility exists and prevents some people from behaving respectably? Seems that in all these "while black" threads, certain members go to great logical leaps to explain away pretty clear racial animus.

Being black isn't the same as espousing a political opinion. Morality aside, "Trump supporter" isn't a protected class. A clerk having a shitfit over a Trump shirt and refusing service is legal, where discriminating against a black customer for being black is not.
Is this state-dependent?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 02:07 PM   #60
SuburbanTurkey
Muse

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Is this state-dependent?
I think some states consider a political affiliation as a protected class for employment matters, but I'm not aware of any state laws requiring public accommodation protections.
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:46 PM   #61
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The clerk acted like an idiot.

Unless there was some extreme provocation prior to the events which were recorded.

Short of that, he shouldn't be in any customer service position.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:41 AM   #62
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

would it have happened if he was black? something else?

Speculation, of course, but I doubt it
It seems that the clerk, who was white himself, had an issue with Trump Supporters, so I'd say that if a black Trump supporter walked in wearing the same outfit, then the clerk likely would have acted in a similar manner. Is that a 100% guarantee, nope cause I don't know the guy, but I have little reason to believe he would act differently.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:36 AM   #63
pharphis
Graduate Poster

It seems that the clerk, who was white himself, had an issue with Trump Supporters, so I'd say that if a black Trump supporter walked in wearing the same outfit, then the clerk likely would have acted in a similar manner. Is that a 100% guarantee, nope cause I don't know the guy, but I have little reason to believe he would act differently.
Yes but to many people (and I would argue almost all people as extreme as this person) would associate racism specifically with certain races, only.
"racism = privilege + power"
Old 5th January 2019, 08:33 PM   #64
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yes but to many people (and I would argue almost all people as extreme as this person) would associate racism specifically with certain races, only.
Which still has nothing to do with this incident, which was specifically about political support, not race.

Old 6th January 2019, 02:44 AM   #65
bluesjnr

Which still has nothing to do with this incident, which was specifically about political support, not race.
It doesn't, if you ignore the fact that the clerk was serving a black man and decided that espousing his political opinions were of a higher priority than serving a mere black man.

Maybe.....
Old 6th January 2019, 04:24 AM   #66
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Not only did the clerk call the guy a racist, he also said over the phone that he was wearing something racist.

So, an accusation that a white person was racist may be a shared element with the "while black" threads. ...and like with at least some of those threads, the evidence of actual racism on the part of the accused may be a bit sketchy.

Last edited by Shepherd; 6th January 2019 at 04:30 AM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #67
sadhatter
Philosopher

Seems kinda suspect that the " you can treat them like ****" line starts right after people you like.

"People I like should be treated better" isn't a great new idea, it's what caused almost every incident of large scale human suffering. Maybe we should try something else?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 08:32 AM   #68
sadhatter
Philosopher

When your definition of racisim doesn't have " hates members of a racial group" it is a failure, and I question the mental ability of anyone who accepts it.

If I say the definition of deep fried is "food served at KFC" that doesn't mean Mary Browns suddenly is serving something else, even if my definition has correct parts.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:26 PM   #69
CaptainHowdy
Muse

If the white customer had been wearing pro-Obama attire, would you say the same thing about the actions of the clerk?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 05:59 PM   #70
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Because there are objectively correct ways to scream in any given situation, regardless of the individuals involved.
No.

I just wonder what sound the clerk would produce if his left forearm was half blown off.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 06:14 PM   #71
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Video link no longer works.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 09:41 PM   #72
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
"Account taken down". Multiple complaints of copyright infringement. Hope that wasn't a DNS attack.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 07:35 AM   #73
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #74
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If the white customer had been wearing pro-Obama attire, would you say the same thing about the actions of the clerk?
I doubt that if the guy had been wearing a Hillary, a Bernie, a Warren, a McCain, or a Romney shirt that it would have happened, but all that does it make it clear that the issue was political, specifically aimed at Trump supporters. How does your post change this, it's already totally clear that this was the issue, and as has been pointed out before, political choices are not legally protected.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events