ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #1
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Microscopes for a broke dude

I got a gift card for Christmas and want to use it for a microscope. I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria. Does anyone have recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification? Grazie
Old 6th January 2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I got a gift card for Christmas and want to use it for a microscope. I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria. Does anyone have recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification? Grazie
With the info provided, no one can make a recommendation. Do you know why?
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 03:25 PM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I gave a Skybasic USB microscope to an 8 year old who loved it. Produced nice photos of paramecium. At 1000x it appears it might be capable of seeing the bacteria you're interested in but I have no direct knowledge of it being used that way.

ETA: MicroXplore PC600 TV/PC Digital Microscope is one to avoid, too flimsy and hard to focus. May be discontinued anyway so you may not need this warning.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 6th January 2019 at 03:29 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I once got told there are two types of microscopes
1. The object you want to view is between the lens and the light source
2. The light source is near the lens so the light is reflected from the object

The first sort is great to see the shape of something. Light needs to go though the object. The second sort will show the colour and the object need not be transparent.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

i bought myself one of these for christmas.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AJeb2hNNyAuUt8

celestron cb2000cf. they also have one with a lcd screen, but this one has better magnification so i think I may as well just buy a microscope camera attachment. it seems to be pretty good, but I am far from an expert. there was a thread on here a couple of years back where someone was asking for suggestions onwhat people wanted them to view under a microscope and then the op would post the pics. that might be a good thread to resurrect.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

https://opticsandlab.com/best-cheap-microscope/
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:09 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
With the info provided, no one can make a recommendation. Do you know why?
And yet, three recommendations so far.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:16 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And yet, three recommendations so far.
But are they any good? That is will gabeygoat do anything except reject the recommendations on sight?
Old 7th January 2019, 11:22 PM   #9
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
But are they any good? That is will gabeygoat do anything except reject the recommendations on sight?
Dunno, but Steve001 might. Hopefully Steve001 might also elaborate on their cryptic comment.
Old 8th January 2019, 01:53 AM   #10
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I have been patiently waiting for you to take the hint and let us know what the size of the gift card is so we can discuss something in your price range. Also helpful would be a hint regarding what uses you will have for it. All microbiology?

Dr Elaine Ingram has showcased the OMAX 40X-2000X LED Trinocular Compound Microscope with Reversed Nosepiece and 30 Degree Siedentopf Viewing Head and 5.0MP USB Camera as relatively inexpensive yet fully capable microscope for laymen and citizen scientist soil microbiology work. That's going to cost you $450 to $500 dollars but literally has almost everything you could possibly imagine including software to turn your laptop into a monitor and also for making videos capable of being uploaded to YouTube or elsewhere.
Another option slightly less expensive and you need to purchase a camera as an option is the AmScope T490B 40X-2000X Professional Trinocular Lab Education Biological Compound Microscope with 3D Two-Layer Mechanical Stage around 300 dollars. You can upgrade with a camera something like the Celestron Digital Microscope Imager 44421 (or several others in the same range) for about 50 bucks.

Of course you can even get fairly decent microscopes under 100 dollars too, but at that price range you start loosing features and quality/usefulness. Instead of trinoculars you get just one or two, meaning you cant film or photo at the same time as you look. But they can be fun.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 8th January 2019 at 01:57 AM.
Red Baron Farms is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:08 AM   #11
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Dunno, but Steve001 might. Hopefully Steve001 might also elaborate on their cryptic comment.
gabeygoat asked for "recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification", but didn't specify either price or minimum magnification, so it's hard to base recommendations on those criteria.

His comment "I definitely want to see tardigrades and paramecium, but would also love to see gram negative bacteria." does help with that "minimum amount of magnification, I guess. And the thread title does help with "price", so on both accounts I don't quite agree with Steve001, but gabeygoat could probably help himself by being a little more specific.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:07 PM   #12
Steve001
Graduate Poster

The guy said he's broke which indicates he has no extra money to spend beyond this gift card and this gift card has a monetary value we do not know. Members can recommend scopes till the cows come home, but are these scopes affordable?

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
gabeygoat asked for "recommendations based on price and minimum amount of magnification", but didn't specify either price or minimum magnification, so it's hard to base recommendations on those criteria.

but gabeygoat could probably help himself by being a little more specific.
Specificity would help a lot.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The guy said he's broke which indicates he has no extra money to spend beyond this gift card and this gift card has a monetary value we do not know. Members can recommend scopes till the cows come home, but are these scopes affordable?
See? Sometimes it's better to just say what you mean rather than engage in Socratic questioning.
Old 8th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #15
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

And it was hardly an issue for me since I only had knowledge of stuff at the very bottom of the price range anyway.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:39 PM   #16
Steve001
Graduate Poster

See? Sometimes it's better to just say what you mean rather than engage in Socratic questioning.
Socrates is fun. Anyway it may be a moot question. Do you know why? Ok, enough. He's not shown up since his post.

Last edited by Steve001; 8th January 2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:09 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Socrates is fun. Anyway it may be a moot question. Do you know why? Ok, enough. He's not shown up since his post.
Also started essentially the same thread about six weeks ago.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:15 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Gabeygoat has been around for a long time, and has a lot of posts. I hardly think they're a drive-by.
Old 8th January 2019, 10:50 PM   #19
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Also started essentially the same thread about six weeks ago.
Here is the thread. Got two good answers. Or so says gabeygoat.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=333375

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology