ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , New Horizons , pluto

Old 5th January 2019, 01:38 PM   #521
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

This morning I found myself standing in front of my house after dawn came up just so I could look in the direction of Ultima Thule in the sky. It is in the general area of Sagittarius. I simply wished to imagine it there in the real sky, even though it is so far away and so dim as to be meaningless to my vision. Further it is so close to the Sun's position right now as to be part of the daytime sky; "looking at it" is doubly absurd. But in my mind I could "feel" it there and superimpose the pictures from New Horizon.

Incredible that we humans built a device to travel four billion miles to peer at what it could see and tell us about it. The skills to build such a device were amazing enough, but more amazing still was our desire as a species to do so. It gives me hope that our curiosity makes us more than just the dangerous, stupid, animals we all too often act as.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 01:59 PM   #522
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Are they actually connected, or just together?

If they are connected, how did they get that way? They must have come in at high enough speed for them to exchange materials in some way to get them to fuse?

If someone went over and gave the smaller lobe a push, would it move away (and then return under the force of gravity)? Or is it all solid?
Why are you assuming it's fused? It might just be accretion of loose material over time.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 08:21 AM   #523
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Why are you assuming it's fused? It might just be accretion of loose material over time.
I didn't assume anything, I asked.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:33 AM   #524
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
First Images of Ultima Thule!

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/80...kind-of-world/

Very unique object. Basically there is nothing like it in the inner solar system AFAIK.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/system/...0190102-pr.png
So that's what gods use for pumping iron.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:34 AM   #525
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
This morning I found myself standing in front of my house after dawn came up just so I could look in the direction of Ultima Thule in the sky. It is in the general area of Sagittarius. I simply wished to imagine it there in the real sky, even though it is so far away and so dim as to be meaningless to my vision. Further it is so close to the Sun's position right now as to be part of the daytime sky; "looking at it" is doubly absurd. But in my mind I could "feel" it there and superimpose the pictures from New Horizon.

Incredible that we humans built a device to travel four billion miles to peer at what it could see and tell us about it. The skills to build such a device were amazing enough, but more amazing still was our desire as a species to do so. It gives me hope that our curiosity makes us more than just the dangerous, stupid, animals we all too often act as.
Amen.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #526
azzthom
Muse

That's part of our very human nature. We want to gaze at the horizon, then cross the horizon, then explore what we find there. Then find a new horizon and do it again. This is the most appropriately named probe ever.

Last edited by azzthom; 9th January 2019 at 12:54 PM.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 02:41 AM   #527
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

New image of Ultima Thule released:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/...?page=20190124
Old 25th January 2019, 08:34 AM   #528
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

That's an interesting photo. I have wondered in the past why NASA hardly ever seems to bring out coffee table type books with the photographic results of their space exploration. There may be some which I have never heard about, but it can't be some great big secret.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 08:46 AM   #529
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
That's an interesting photo. I have wondered in the past why NASA hardly ever seems to bring out coffee table type books with the photographic results of their space exploration. There may be some which I have never heard about, but it can't be some great big secret.
They have thousands of wonderful images on their websites; perhaps selecting and publishing them as hard copy books is beyond what they are authorized to do (or funded to do) in their role as a governmental agency.

I wonder who owns the copyright? As a USA citizen could I download NASA images, assemble them, and have a commercial photo processor print them out as my own custom calendar or as a book? Not to sell but as gifts or my private ownership?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 09:08 AM   #530
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Wonderful!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #531
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

I wonder who owns the copyright? As a USA citizen could I download NASA images, assemble them, and have a commercial photo processor print them out as my own custom calendar or as a book? Not to sell but as gifts or my private ownership?
Your citizenship does not matter. For the most part NASA images are public domain and have no copyright.

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 01:20 PM   #532
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

I saw a wonderful book of moon photos a friend had. I'd almost call it a coffee table book but I think the appeal was more to the propeller heads than average person. Most photos were black and white and the detail was stunning. IIRC the photos mostly had the scale reference marks which sort of limits the artsy aspect.

Not positive but I believe BowlOfRed is correct. NASA declassifies everything at some point and it's released as public domain and I'm pretty sure the photos are included.

At least some NASA photos can be obtained through the US government bookstore (as well as a lot of cool books). The moon book was bought through that source.
MEequalsIxR is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 09:40 PM   #533
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
I saw a wonderful book of moon photos a friend had.
This is my favorite NASA moon photo

Old 28th January 2019, 11:25 PM   #534
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

So much for the flat earthers.

That is an amazing image.
Old 29th January 2019, 05:40 AM   #535
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
This is my favorite NASA moon photo

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12048
Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
So much for the flat earthers.

That is an amazing image.
Flat Earther says: Still looks flat to me.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 07:11 AM   #536
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
The really sad and yet scary part is you are probably right.
Old 29th January 2019, 11:40 AM   #537
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
The really sad and yet scary part is you are probably right.
It's worse than that. Apparently they've taken to arbitrary image manipulation of the Apollo 8 Earthrise photograph to "prove" it's really a hidden demon image. (Source: Canadian Geographic Magazine, Jan/Feb 2019, "Inside the Flat Earth Society").
Old 9th February 2019, 03:11 AM   #538
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

It appears that the two lobes of Ultima Thule aren't spherical but flattened, like pancakes.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/...?page=20190208

Weird.
Old 9th February 2019, 06:21 AM   #539
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Flat Earth, y'all!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:53 AM   #540
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It appears that the two lobes of Ultima Thule aren't spherical but flattened, like pancakes.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/...?page=20190208

Weird.
Or is it a disc on the back of a turtle?
Old 12th February 2019, 08:28 AM   #541
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And on what does the turtle stand?

Old 12th February 2019, 08:35 AM   #542
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
PenultimaThule
Old 12th February 2019, 08:41 AM   #543
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
PenultimaThule

Old 12th February 2019, 09:28 AM   #544
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You are both unlearned barbarians, not knowing how the world really is!

Disk on the back of ELEPHANTS. Four of them. On the back of the turtle. From there, it is turtles all the way down.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 09:39 AM   #545
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Disk on the back of ELEPHANTS. Four of them. On the back of the turtle. From there, it is turtles all the way down.
Have you seen the pictures? Where are the other three elephants, eh?

Old 12th February 2019, 09:57 AM   #546
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

Nope it's the disc on the backs of four elephants standing on the turtle The Great A'Tuin who swims through space.
Old 17th February 2019, 04:36 AM   #547
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

According to Belz... in #543 it's Thules all the way down

Last edited by Craig B; 17th February 2019 at 04:38 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:02 AM   #548
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

New Horizons Spacecraft Returns Its Sharpest Views of Ultima Thule

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-hor...f-ultima-thule

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology