ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:38 AM   #321
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This is a load of three week old horse-puckey, and you know it - so I'm calling you out on it.

The inference of your argument is that the UK is the ONLY PLACE IN THE WHOLE OF EUROPE where asylum seekers will be safe so they should all run through all the other dozen countries in Europe to get there

That is, as Bernard Woolley would call it, a consignment of geriatric shoe repairers.
No, the inference is that the UK has just as much responsibility to help as Italy, France, Germany or the Netherlands does and no more reason to say no than they do. Possibly more so than others given their role in creating the situation in the first place.

If everyone adopted your attitude the refugees would either have to stay in Syria or be condemned to life in a refugee camp in Turkey or Lebanon.
Old 11th January 2019, 12:39 PM   #322
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
No, the inference is that the UK has just as much responsibility to help as Italy, France, Germany or the Netherlands does and no more reason to say no than they do. Possibly more so than others given their role in creating the situation in the first place.
Rubbish. That is not the inference I take from your declaration that the bear was in cahoots with the first house.

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
If everyone adopted your attitude the refugees would either have to stay in Syria or be condemned to life in a refugee camp in Turkey or Lebanon.
No, absolutely not

If every country adopted my attitude, they would take their offered/allotted number of refugees and asylum seekers directly from those camps and and bring them back to their country. (That's what our government does, brings refugees directly from the country they are sheltering in to NZ). My neighbours across the road are refugees from Myanmar; Rohingya people who fled from Rakhine to Bangladesh. They arrived here two years ago from a camp near Cox’s Bazar - the entire family was flown to NZ. This happens a lot, either bringing them on a military transport, or otherwise assisting them with their passage to NZ.

If the UK and all the countries in Europe did this sot of thing, there would not be any need for refugees to trek for hundreds of miles all across Europe. If they took my attitude they could solve the Syrian refugee crisis in a heartbeat - 13.5 million refugees into a European population of 513 million is 2.6% - a drop in the bucket.

The countries of Europe should do this, and then send back those who try to circumvent the system by making their own way to other countries

- incentivise those who stay on the camps and wait their turn.
- disincentivise those who try to jump the queue.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 02:05 AM   #323
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Rubbish. That is not the inference I take from your declaration that the bear was in cahoots with the first house.

No, absolutely not

If every country adopted my attitude, they would take their offered/allotted number of refugees and asylum seekers directly from those camps and and bring them back to their country. (That's what our government does, brings refugees directly from the country they are sheltering in to NZ). My neighbours across the road are refugees from Myanmar; Rohingya people who fled from Rakhine to Bangladesh. They arrived here two years ago from a camp near Cox’s Bazar - the entire family was flown to NZ. This happens a lot, either bringing them on a military transport, or otherwise assisting them with their passage to NZ.

If the UK and all the countries in Europe did this sot of thing, there would not be any need for refugees to trek for hundreds of miles all across Europe. If they took my attitude they could solve the Syrian refugee crisis in a heartbeat - 13.5 million refugees into a European population of 513 million is 2.6% - a drop in the bucket.

The countries of Europe should do this, and then send back those who try to circumvent the system by making their own way to other countries

1. You seem to have misread what i wrote earlier
2. i said more or less the same thing previously. but they dont. Given that, the complaint should be with developed nations not doing their part rather than with people risking their lives to take matters into their own hands. Again though there is no queue. We keep telling you that and you keep not
acknowledging it
Old 12th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #324
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

That would be the best way to deal with asylum seekers and other refugees. But it would mean setting up sites around the world, some temporary to deal with a specific crises, but others would need to be virtually permanent.

I just do not see how that could work. For example, would China allow other countries to set up specific places in China, whereby Chinese people can go and claim asylum?
Old 12th January 2019, 08:27 AM   #325
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
That would be the best way to deal with asylum seekers and other refugees. But it would mean setting up sites around the world, some temporary to deal with a specific crises, but others would need to be virtually permanent.

I just do not see how that could work. For example, would China allow other countries to set up specific places in China, whereby Chinese people can go and claim asylum?
Its effectively what happens now whenever there is a crisis. People are displaced internally or cross the nearest border to get out. The problem is that they then get stuck there.

Most developed countries pay lip service to the idea of offering asylum to those in need. Which also exacerbates the issues. The promise of asylum is made to people but the reality is that it is incredibly difficult to avail yourself of that offer unless you are willing to take the kind of action that is frowned upon in this thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events