ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia issues , Australia politics

Old 14th April 2015, 06:18 AM   #41
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
To point out that there aren't a lot of gun nutters in Oz?
Why is it that knowledge of certain topics is expected, but if a person knows how to express any basic knowledge of guns, this makes them a nut? Is it the ISF double standard in play again?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 06:21 AM   #42
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
What about Bob Brown? Green party right? Was he misquoted?

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/no-g...0924-4n7j.html

As far as I know handguns and machine guns are controlled differently in Australia. They're not really the same thing over there are they? Why would Brown equate handguns to machine guns if not to demonize them?

Ranb
That was in 2008. He's retired now.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 06:27 AM   #43
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Why is it that knowledge of certain topics is expected, but if a person knows how to express any basic knowledge of guns, this makes them a nut? Is it the ISF double standard in play again?

Ranb
Miss Dee Pointe will be here shortly.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 08:03 AM   #44
devnull
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
It seems to me that around half of the acceptable reasons are intended for exactly that kind of thing.
You miss my point.

But to be honest, Im fading. Catch me tomorrow
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 09:46 AM   #45
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Ranb
It isn't just in effect at ISF.

There's a few people in LE that describe me and mine as "gun nuts," and do not intend it to be a compliment.

They also seem to be the type that requires me and mine to keep a 9mm, .40 and .45 pencil set handy during requals.

ETA - why do Aussies oil their gardens?

So the guns won't rust.

Last edited by BStrong; 14th April 2015 at 09:47 AM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 05:45 PM   #46
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Didn't the Greens recently disavow a local affiliated group for saying something moonbatish?
Dunno. It's your story.

But I ask google "Greens split from..." and it suggested "Greens Split from Labor", so you're probably right.
Old 14th April 2015, 07:37 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Several years ago, my brother, who is retired but has a ten acre hobby farm got a shotgun license in two weeks to shoot feral animals. This is in Victoria. If you can demonstrate a need to own a gun, it is a remarkably easy process to get one.
Yes, exactly. There's an image going around - and I think I've partially been complicit in spreading it - that Australia is anti-gun. It isn't. The main difference is that in Australia, you cannot cite "self-defence" as a reason to own a gun. Just about any other reason is valid, just not self-defence.

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Dunno. It's your story.

But I ask google "Greens split from..." and it suggested "Greens Split from Labor", so you're probably right.
Yeah, I couldn't find a reference either. Maybe I imagined it.
Old 14th April 2015, 07:51 PM   #48
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Quote:
Didn't the Greens recently disavow a local affiliated group for saying something moonbatish?
Yeah, I couldn't find a reference either. Maybe I imagined it.
Unless it was the NSW Greens Spokesperson on Firearms David Shoebrige's courtship 0f Fredrik Toben

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...y/LC2013082010

Taking a position on Middle Eastern politics can lead to controversy. who knew?
Old 14th April 2015, 07:53 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Unless it was the NSW Greens Spokesperson on Firearms David Shoebrige's courtship 0f Fredrik Toben

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...y/LC2013082010

Taking a position on Middle Eastern politics can lead to controversy. who knew?
Page not found.
Old 14th April 2015, 07:57 PM   #50
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Page not found.
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20130820100
Old 14th April 2015, 09:07 PM   #51
Ranb
Philosopher

Yes, exactly. There's an image going around - and I think I've partially been complicit in spreading it - that Australia is anti-gun. It isn't.
You are complicit. If a person has to give a reason why they want/need to own a gun then that culture is anti-gun.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 09:41 PM   #52
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
It isn't just in effect at ISF.

There's a few people in LE that describe me and mine as "gun nuts," and do not intend it to be a compliment.

They also seem to be the type that requires me and mine to keep a 9mm, .40 and .45 pencil set handy during requals.

ETA - why do Aussies oil their gardens?

So the guns won't rust.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 09:42 PM   #53
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

You are complicit. If a person has to give a reason why they want/need to own a gun then that culture is anti-gun.

Ranb
Again,
Old 14th April 2015, 10:11 PM   #54
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Ranb
Nonsense. You can't walk around with a rocket launcher or a flame thrower. We just draw the line in a different place.i

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2015, 11:29 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ranb
There are some fundamental human rights that any civilised country should grant to its citizens. These include the right to food, shelter, clean water and access to education, freedom of religion, speech and assembly.

The right to be capable of easily and spontaneously murdering someone is not one of them.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:05 AM   #56
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Ranb
Google Translate says: If'n yer not fer us then yer agin' us!

Here's how that should have read: If a person has to give a reason why they want/need to own a gun then someone is probably paying attention and being careful up front. And if that reason is legal and compelling, and the applicant meets approval criteria, then they can have one no problem. Just like getting a car license, really.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 12:10 AM   #57
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Ah yes. According to your respondent, the Honourable Member in the Greens Party should have told the holocaust denier to "**** off back to the **** hole you came from, you Nazi prick!" That would have been the better "return to civility" than the politely worded but definite response he did send which gave the denier no yardage in response.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 15th April 2015 at 12:12 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 01:13 AM   #58
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Ah yes. According to your respondent, the Honourable Member in the Greens Party should have told the holocaust denier to "**** off back to the **** hole you came from, you Nazi prick!" That would have been the better "return to civility" than the politely worded but definite response he did send which gave the denier no yardage in response.
The normal world is that bipolar to you? It is actually possible to converse with Mr Toben without inviting him to a joint enterprise with you or resorting to such abusive language.
Old 15th April 2015, 01:54 AM   #59
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Ranb
I am not anti-gun, I am indifferent-gun. I and many millions of Australians see no need to own one. Except during the coldest days of winter, my front door is open all day, and the wire screen door is unlocked. I have no fear of being shot at, or somebody landing at my door threatening to shoot me. I can assure you that I feel perfectly safe without a gun in the house..

This is all purely a cultural difference because the majority of Australia and don't give a damn about guns.

BTW, if I wanted to join a gun club, and shoot at targets, I would have no problem whatsoever in obtaining the legal guns of my choice. A semi automatic, however, would not qualify, as I suppose shooting at targets to be a skill that requires care and accuracy, and something that does not require you to be able to shoot 100 bullets in 10 seconds.

And Australia has many hundreds of gun clubs and many, many tens of thousands of members. And now there are more guns per capita than after the Port Arthur massacre. They are perfectly legal to own - but not for people who simply decide that they want one to shoot up the neighborhood.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 15th April 2015 at 01:55 AM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 02:38 AM   #60
3point14
Pi

Ranb

I think that's a culturaly ingrained US position based on the second amendment and innacurate..

Australia is merely anti-gun compared to the USA. Compared to most other western democracies it's pretty neutral on guns.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 02:52 AM   #61
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I think that's a culturaly ingrained US position based on the second amendment and innacurate..

Australia is merely anti-gun compared to the USA. Compared to most other western democracies it's pretty neutral on guns.
Yes, I expect some people who cream themselves over owning guns do not even understand that most people elsewhere do not really give a damn.

Unless of course, as it stands in Australia, that they need one or more.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 05:21 AM   #62
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Again,
Careful, you might get shot.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 05:23 AM   #63
Gawdzilla Sama

I think that's a culturaly ingrained US position based on the second amendment and innacurate.
Based on a rather twisted interpretation of an amendment meant to provide for the security of the State.
Old 15th April 2015, 05:42 AM   #64
wea
Critical Thinker

all of Europe to start with, but for Switzerland (they keep the gun at home after military conscription).
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 06:01 AM   #65
catsmate
No longer the 1

Again,
Yep.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 06:35 AM   #66
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Ranb

That's like saying if a person has to give a reason they need a medication, then that culture is anti-medication.

Personally, I don't think that having to demonstrate a genuine reason for owning a gun in order to get a license which allows you to purchase a gun is that much different from having to demonstrate a genuine reason for taking a medication in order to get a prescription which allows you to purchase the medication.

Either way, misuse can be harmful or fatal. That's why we restrict access certain medicines and guns.

It's not anti-gun or anti-medicine, it's pro-safety.
Old 15th April 2015, 06:41 AM   #67
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Joke told to me by an Aussie friend.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 07:09 AM   #68
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Nonsense. You can't walk around with a rocket launcher or a flame thrower. We just draw the line in a different place.i
Can you show me a federal law that says I can't walk around with a rocket launcher or flame thrower in the USA?

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 07:18 AM   #69
Ranb
Philosopher

I am not anti-gun, I am indifferent-gun. I and many millions of Australians see no need to own one. Except during the coldest days of winter, my front door is open all day, and the wire screen door is unlocked.
That is what it's like where I grew up.

I have no fear of being shot at, or somebody landing at my door threatening to shoot me. I can assure you that I feel perfectly safe without a gun in the house..
Same here. My 50 plus gun collection does not make me feel safer.

This is all purely a cultural difference because the majority of Australia and don't give a damn about guns.
Didn't the majority of Australians give a damn about whether or not to make simple possession of various kinds of common ordinary guns a crime?

A semi automatic, however, would not qualify, as I suppose shooting at targets to be a skill that requires care and accuracy, and something that does not require you to be able to shoot 100 bullets in 10 seconds.
Who can shot 100 rounds in ten seconds with a semiautomatic firearm other than bump firing? Looking at the Wikipedia article it appears that you might not qualify for many types of firearms.

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 07:20 AM   #70
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Just like getting a car license, really.
Why do you compare keeping a gun in the home to driving a car on a road?

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 07:23 AM   #71
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brian-M View Post
Either way, misuse can be harmful or fatal. That's why we restrict access certain medicines and guns.

It's not anti-gun or anti-medicine, it's pro-safety.
Maybe that it how it works where you are from, but in the USA the gun restrictions are based on what some people think are scary, not how much of a threat they are.

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 07:29 AM   #72
Ranb
Philosopher

This refers to the people who buried their guns in the garden instead of turning them in to be destroyed. Wish you had more of a clue in gun threads. That way when you make accusations you can back them up with evidence.

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 07:36 AM   #73
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by wea View Post
all of Europe to start with, but for Switzerland (they keep the gun at home after military conscription).

I'm wondering which countries Mr Ranb considers neutral on or pro guns?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2015, 07:42 AM   #74
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Didn't the majority of Australians give a damn about whether or not to make simple possession of various kinds of common ordinary guns a crime?

Ranb
Common ordinary gun? What is that even supposed to mean? This is what I meant about a cultural difference. And, no, owning a gun is not a crime. You just need a license. Can't you even understand that?

Norm

Old 15th April 2015, 07:47 AM   #75
Gawdzilla Sama

Can you show me a federal law that says I can't walk around with a rocket launcher or flame thrower in the USA?

Ranb
Can you show us where that's legal in the US?
Old 15th April 2015, 08:04 AM   #76
Ranb
Philosopher

In WA and some other states, possession of rocket launchers and and flame throwers is not regulated. As far as I know CA is the only state that regulates flame throwers to the point of a partial ban for civilians. If I go walking down a Seattle street with one of these items I think I can be sure of getting the attention of the police for potentially disturbing the peace.

I am tired of looking up laws to counter claims of "that's illegal" for people (not you) on this forum. I'd rather see someone back up their stupid claim with a link to a statute.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 15th April 2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 15th April 2015, 08:10 AM   #77
Ranb
Philosopher

Common ordinary gun? What is that even supposed to mean?
I thought it was obvious that it meant a gun commonly possessed by those who choose to own guns. A handgun, rifle or shotgun of any type action as opposed to a machine gun, rocket launcher, destructive device, gadget guns etc.

This is what I meant about a cultural difference. And, no, owning a gun is not a crime. You just need a license. Can't you even understand that?
Is the license issued on demand to any law abiding person for any lawful reason? In the USA the police can withhold a signature on the application required to own some firearms based upon any criteria they want, or without saying why. I've yet to see anyone challenge this successfully in court.

Ranb
Old 15th April 2015, 08:25 AM   #78
Brian-M
Daydreamer

Is the license issued on demand to any law abiding person for any lawful reason?
Yes. And the lawful reasons are clearly defined (I quoted a list of the lawful reasons as they currently stand in NSW earlier in the thread).

But you have to provide evidence that these reasons actually apply.

For example, if you wanted to get a gun license for target shooting, you'd have to provide evidence that you're a member of a shooting club and are actively participating in shooting events....
Quote:
A licence holder who is a member of an approved pistol club must participate in at least 6 club organised competitive shooting matches over each period of 12 months that the licence is in force AND for each type of pistol you possess for different shooting events, you must undertake at least 4 club organised shoots
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/...2_PDF_V1.2.pdf

More info: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/licences

(I'm giving NSW as the example because that's the most highly populated state.)
Old 15th April 2015, 08:38 AM   #79
Ranb
Philosopher

Thanks for the link. Appears that the word lawful is very restricted. In the USA if I have to take time off from my shooting activities due to injury, illness or work, I can simply resume my hobby when able. I don't have to convince the police that I'm worthy of keeping the license.

Quote:
If you have not complied with the prescribed legislative requirements for
shooting activities in relation to your club membership, and you can not prove
to the Commissioner of Police satisfaction that compliance was not reasonably
practical in the circumstances, your firearms licence may be revoked.
Ranb

ETA; I thought they spelled license wrong. I guess not. http://www.differencebetween.net/lan...e-and-license/

Last edited by Ranb; 15th April 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 15th April 2015, 07:03 PM   #80
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Thanks for the link. Appears that the word lawful is very restricted. In the USA if I have to take time off from my shooting activities due to injury, illness or work, I can simply resume my hobby when able. I don't have to convince the police that I'm worthy of keeping the license.
In my opinion, that's a problem. I'm glad it's not like that here.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events