ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia issues , Australia politics

Old 19th April 2015, 11:33 PM   #121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It appears you do find it to be funny. When there is a seller there is always a buyer. Why are your countrymen buying this American stuff then?
You appear to be conflating two separate lines of argument from me. You're quoting one post and replying to another.

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
You really hate that your fellow countrymen have the freedom to partake or abstain from American culture.
Abstaining from American culture would in practice result in abstaining from all culture.

Do you really have no clue how all-pervasive American pop culture is in the English-speaking world? Seriously - Australia tries to have a film industry, but it is never anywhere near the quality or quantity of the Hollywood movie-making factory. Heck, "Hollywood" is a euphemism for the movie industry in general, to the extent that the biggest non-English movie industry shamelessly corrupts the word to describe itself - "Bollywood" - even in Hindi.

We can't help it. Either we consume American culture, or we live our lives in the outback without contact with civilisation. Our two biggest fast food chains are McDonalds and KFC, followed up by Domino's and Burger King. If I wanted to go to the movies today, I would have to make a choice between 14 American movies and one Australian movie (Gallipolli, 1981, which is only on because of ANZAC day and which may be the last Australian movie that was actually good). When I install Microsoft Office on a computer, the spellchecker defaults to "optimize" and "color". For that matter, every piece of software I have on my computer came from America. When I go home tonight I'm going to play an American videogame or perhaps binge-watch a few episodes of an American TV show.

Back in the 80s, we actually had to legislate for a minimum of Australian content on our television stations. That's how all-pervasive American culture is. We had to legislate. So don't go deluding yourself that we can somehow insulate ourselves from American culture.

Either we consume American culture or we don't consume culture at all.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:03 AM   #122
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by epepke View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if, in 20 or so years, Australia had a problem with gun violence due to criminals engaged in the illegal gun trade.

No, not "funny." What's that other word...
Already happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbour...gland_killings

ETA: Although they were mostly drug dealers rather than gun runners.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 12:15 AM   #123
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You appear to be conflating two separate lines of argument from me. You're quoting one post and replying to another.

Abstaining from American culture would in practice result in abstaining from all culture.

Do you really have no clue how all-pervasive American pop culture is in the English-speaking world? Seriously - Australia tries to have a film industry, but it is never anywhere near the quality or quantity of the Hollywood movie-making factory. Heck, "Hollywood" is a euphemism for the movie industry in general, to the extent that the biggest non-English movie industry shamelessly corrupts the word to describe itself - "Bollywood" - even in Hindi.

We can't help it. Either we consume American culture, or we live our lives in the outback without contact with civilisation. Our two biggest fast food chains are McDonalds and KFC, followed up by Domino's and Burger King. If I wanted to go to the movies today, I would have to make a choice between 14 American movies and one Australian movie (Gallipolli, 1981, which is only on because of ANZAC day and which may be the last Australian movie that was actually good). When I install Microsoft Office on a computer, the spellchecker defaults to "optimize" and "color". For that matter, every piece of software I have on my computer came from America. When I go home tonight I'm going to play an American videogame or perhaps binge-watch a few episodes of an American TV show.

Back in the 80s, we actually had to legislate for a minimum of Australian content on our television stations. That's how all-pervasive American culture is. We had to legislate. So don't go deluding yourself that we can somehow insulate ourselves from American culture.

Either we consume American culture or we don't consume culture at all.
I'm going to disagree with two things in the bolded. First, we've produced several excellent movies since then*. Second, that movie is a history raping POS on a par with Braveheart.

*A short list: Crocodile Dundee, Evil Angels, Muriels Wedding, The Castle, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Babe, Shine, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Ten Canoes, Lantana, Little Fish, Mao's Last Dancer, Animal Kingdom, Balibo and Beneath Hill 60.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 12:26 AM   #124
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
I'm going to disagree with two things in the bolded. First, we've produced several excellent movies since then*. Second, that movie is a history raping POS on a par with Braveheart.

*A short list: Crocodile Dundee, Evil Angels, Muriels Wedding, The Castle, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Babe, Shine, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Ten Canoes, Lantana, Little Fish, Mao's Last Dancer, Animal Kingdom, Balibo and Beneath Hill 60.
Well we're probably going to have to disagree on that. For the record, this is a list of 15 of what you believe are good films since 1981. 15 in 34 years. That's approximately one every two years.

How many good films has America produced in that time? I'd say that there are probably 15 American films produced per year that could be considered good.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:36 AM   #125
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Well we're probably going to have to disagree on that. For the record, this is a list of 15 of what you believe are good films since 1981. 15 in 34 years. That's approximately one every two years.

How many good films has America produced in that time? I'd say that there are probably 15 American films produced per year that could be considered good.
It was not meant to be an exaustive list, rather a refutation of your assertation that the last good film made here was Gallipoli. In any case, many Hollywood films these days are filmed in Sydney at Fox Studios.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:43 AM   #126
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
It was not meant to be an exaustive list, rather a refutation of your assertation that the last good film made here was Gallipoli. In any case, many Hollywood films these days are filmed in Sydney at Fox Studios.
You're nitpicking on a very minor point, and furthermore one that is dependent on subjective taste.

My point is that we are utterly flooded with American culture. Simply declining to partake as Giz and Ranb have suggested is so far from being an option that it can only indicate complete cluelessness on their part about the all-pervasiveness of American culture in the English-speaking world.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:50 AM   #127
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

Comparing the American and Australian film industries is a touch silly.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:56 AM   #128
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
Comparing the American and Australian film industries is a touch silly.
Yes, it is, isn't it? There's really no comparison at all.

Regardless, my point (remember that?) is that we cannot simply choose not to partake of American culture. Unless we want to isolate ourselves from pretty much everything civilisation has to offer and live in a cabin in the woods. Oh look, another American film reference.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:10 AM   #129
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

It's called *********** bush mate what are you a Seppo?
Old 20th April 2015, 02:41 AM   #130
devnull
Philosopher

I like the claim that the bad guys in Australia dont have guns.

Ive been feeling down today - I needed that laugh.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 02:49 AM   #131
uvar
Critical Thinker

Meanwhile, in a small part of Australia, gun laws might be getting (slightly) stricter.
put tiny words on my posts how change signature forum signatue ideas best sandwich filling to disguise mold steal forum signature not get caught peanut butter expiry danger pictures how clear search history
uvar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 04:53 AM   #132
Giz
Philosopher

You're nitpicking on a very minor point, and furthermore one that is dependent on subjective taste.

My point is that we are utterly flooded with American culture. Simply declining to partake as Giz and Ranb have suggested is so far from being an option that it can only indicate complete cluelessness on their part about the all-pervasiveness of American culture in the English-speaking world.
It's not cluelessness. I am aware of the pervasiveness of American culture.
I am also aware that it is pervasive because your fellow citizens have a taste for it. Why are they wrong and you right?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 04:56 AM   #133
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
It's not cluelessness. I am aware of the pervasiveness of American culture.
The first time I walked at the gate at CFAY, Yokosuka, Japan, I saw KFC, McDs. , Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc. stretching down the street. I thought this was because the base was right there. I was wrong.
Quote:
I am also aware that it is pervasive because your fellow citizens have a taste for it. Why are they wrong and you right?
We offer things for sale, we don't demand people buy them. The Chinese caught on to that idea.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 06:15 AM   #134
Ranb
Philosopher

Hyperbole is not going to make for a meaningful response at all.

For that matter, every piece of software I have on my computer came from America. When I go home tonight I'm going to play an American videogame or perhaps binge-watch a few episodes of an American TV show.
Video games? Binge watching any TV show? Sounds like you are a willing consumer of content no matter where it is from. "Deal with it" as in doing something about it appears to be something you are unwilling to do.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 06:19 AM   #135
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla Sama View Post
The first time I walked at the gate at CFAY, Yokosuka, Japan, I saw KFC, McDs. , Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc. stretching down the street. I thought this was because the base was right there. I was wrong.
We offer things for sale, we don't demand people buy them. The Chinese caught on to that idea.
The first time I was in Hong Kong I was walking about with a few shipmates. I thought they were acting rather bizarre. Every once in a while one of them would say, "Hey, look at her, she's cute". I looked and they were staring at a white girl. I thought, "why are these jokers ignoring the beautiful Chinese girls (some with pleasant English accents) and only noticing the white girls? The icing on the cake was them finding a McDonald's to eat at. I wandered off on my own to find food of a more local flavor.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 05:50 PM   #136
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hyperbole is not going to make for a meaningful response at all.
It's not hyperbole. It really isn't.

Video games? Binge watching any TV show? Sounds like you are a willing consumer of content no matter where it is from. "Deal with it" as in doing something about it appears to be something you are unwilling to do.
Oh, believe me, if there was content from elsewhere, I'd avidly consume that. In fact, I do avidly consume the small amount of content that's available that isn't from America (ETA: British comedy is usually a lot funnier to me than American comedy). My point is that the vast majority of cultural content does come from America. Your contention that I, or even that we as a country, could simply abstain from consuming American culture is beyond absurd.

That's why we have a problem with American gun culture. Because we can't avoid it.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 20th April 2015 at 05:58 PM.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 05:54 PM   #137
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

The first time I was in Hong Kong I was walking about with a few shipmates. I thought they were acting rather bizarre. Every once in a while one of them would say, "Hey, look at her, she's cute". I looked and they were staring at a white girl. I thought, "why are these jokers ignoring the beautiful Chinese girls (some with pleasant English accents) and only noticing the white girls? The icing on the cake was them finding a McDonald's to eat at. I wandered off on my own to find food of a more local flavor.

Ranb
Last time I was in Hong Kong a Big Mac Combo meal was $13.45.

HK$, of course.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2015, 08:38 PM   #138
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uvar View Post
Meanwhile, in a small part of Australia, gun laws might be getting (slightly) stricter.
Well those inbreds might just do it, but at this stage it's just the high hopes of miniscule lobby group GCA who have persuaded an independent Wowser MP to front for them.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:47 PM   #139
Ranb
Philosopher

It's not hyperbole. It really isn't.
It really is.
You really need to get out more.

Ranb
Old 20th April 2015, 09:26 PM   #140
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It really is.

You really need to get out more.

Ranb
You know what? Come live here for a while, and see for yourself how all-pervasive American culture is. Until then, please try not to pretend to be an expert, because you will look foolish.
Old 21st April 2015, 06:22 AM   #141
Ranb
Philosopher

I've been there twice, don't need to go back. I'll be aware of claims when I visit NZ, see if the Kiwis are able to resist being totally dominated by American culture.

Ranb
Old 10th June 2015, 10:43 PM   #142
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Loaded rifle found in stolen car

Quote:
POLICE found a stolen, loaded rifle while searching a car following a traffic stop in Gilmore yesterday.

Police-afp-cops-9720-400x266About 3.45pm, a stolen Nissan Pulsar was stopped by a police patrol on Heagney Crescent, Gilmore, and a 26-year-old female . A male was arrested in relation to the stolen car. On searching the vehicle, police found a loaded, shortened .22-calibre rifle and ammunition.
More evidence of the rampant gun problem in Australia.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:45 PM   #143
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Woman shot in Northcote, gunman on the run

Quote:
A man has been arrested after he handed himself in over the shooting of a woman in Melbourne's north.

The woman, 22, was found with a gunshot wound to her leg and facial injuries.
Gun crime.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:47 PM   #144
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Huge gun cache in Fisher

Quote:
ACT Policing has seized a number of firearms along with ammunition following a warrant executed at a residence in Fisher yesterday (Thursday, May 28).

Acting on information received from the public, members from Woden General Duties executed the search warrant where a number of items were seized.

Those items included seven rifles, a revolver, a pistol, a double barrel shotgun along with in excess 3,000 rounds of ammunition and an amount of gun powder.

Police identified that the resident had been a NSW licenced firearms holder, however his licence had since been revoked.
Right on my doorstep!
Old 12th July 2015, 10:04 PM   #145
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

More evidence of Australia's gun problem:

Bikie shootings / Police making progress and asking for help

Quote:
ACT Policing has unveiled major developments in the investigation of a number of Canberra shootings, which are believed to be Outlaw Motorcycle Gang-related.

The shootings occurred overnight between Thursday 12 and Friday 13 March, with shots fired at homes in Boustead Circuit, Kambah, Barlee Place, Stirling and Pawsey Circuit, Florey. The shooting in Stirling resulted in non-life threatening injuries to a 36-year-old man.

After a public call for witnesses at the time of the incidents, police received information that a person located in Adelaide, South Australia, may wish to provide information relating to the shootings. During subsequent investigations, members of ACT Policing Criminal Investigations Taskforce Nemesis travelled to Adelaide and seized a handgun and a number of rounds of ammunition.
Nice euphemism there in that last paragraph.

Who was it suggesting that Australian criminals don't have guns again?
Old 13th July 2015, 01:57 AM   #146
Hungry81
Master Poster

More evidence of Australia's gun problem:

Bikie shootings / Police making progress and asking for help

Nice euphemism there in that last paragraph.

Who was it suggesting that Australian criminals don't have guns again?
I don't know. Did anyone ever say that?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 02:13 AM   #147
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
I don't know. Did anyone ever say that?
Well, as I said at the top of the thread, it's often implied (by me and by others) that Australia's gun laws are an ideal solution to the gun problem. They're not. They're the best we've got, and they're certainly a hell of a lot better than America's, but when discussing gun politics, it's important to remember that Australia is not immune to gun crime.
Old 14th July 2015, 02:53 AM   #148
fromdownunder
Philosopher

If Bikie gangs want to off each other and take themselves out of the Gene pool...my response is let them go for it!

What we don't seem to have any more is "normal" people who lose it, and shoot up schools, picture theatres, churches, public events, or snipers who randomly shoot people. Career criminals tend not to do these sort of things, as it is frowned upon, and not good for business.

The simple fact that gang shootings do get so much publicity here is evidence that these events really do not occur all that often. Does every gang shooting in the USA hit page one in the news?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 05:55 AM   #149
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
The odd thing about it is that the greens want no guns, but dont care about the environmental impact that would have
Unfortunately most greens (anywhere ) seem to have a laissez faire attitude about the environment in the sense they want it to be left alone to be "natural". I am pretty sure this has never been a really good/well thought out idea.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 06:00 AM   #150
bit_pattern

The odd thing about it is that the greens want no guns
It's "odd" because it's not true

http://nsw.greens.org.au/policies/nsw/firearms
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2015, 11:24 AM   #151
Ranb
Philosopher

Quote:
The aims and tactics of the gun lobby must be publicly exposed
What are these tactics?

Quote:
That personal protection should never be regarded as a genuine reason for owning, possessing or using a firearm.
Never, except for some people?

Quote:
A total ban on the ownership, importation and use of semi-automatic firearms;
I doubt it, what about the police and military?

I've purchased bullet molds from a manufacturer in Australia in the past. I wonder if they would like to see this type of activity licensed or restricted also?

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 14th July 2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 15th July 2015, 02:15 AM   #152
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

When talking about gun control, people are very rarely including police and the military in their consideration.

Bringing up police and the military is spurious in this context.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 15th July 2015 at 02:18 AM.
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 06:55 AM   #153
catsmate
No longer the 1

<snip>
I doubt it, what about the police and military?
What's wrong with a generally unarmed police force?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 07:30 AM   #154
devnull
Philosopher

Maybe the greens should alert their membership to these policies
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 07:45 AM   #155
bit_pattern

Maybe the greens should alert their membership to these policies
I'm a member. I'm well acquainted with their policies. In respect to your original comment, the ACT Greens were instrumental in bringing in kangaroo culling in order to protect the grassland ecosystems around Canberra, which directly contradicts your contention - they're happy for strictly regulated uses of firearms where necessary

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bit_pattern; 15th July 2015 at 07:50 AM.
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2015, 11:24 AM   #156
Ranb
Philosopher

When talking about gun control, people are very rarely including police and the military in their consideration.

Bringing up police and the military is spurious in this context.
Nope. When I talk gun control I frequently bring the police into it. The police in the USA are subject to gun control laws as well as the rest of us. They are sometimes exempt from certain laws, sometimes not. The gun controls laws in MN and WA are an example. Laws in these states recently changed to greatly ease controls on the police as far as some types of firearms are concerned.

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
What's wrong with a generally unarmed police force?
Nothing. I was wondering if the Greens included the police and military in their policy or not.

Ranb
Old 16th July 2015, 04:21 AM   #157
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Nope. When I talk gun control I frequently bring the police into it. The police in the USA are subject to gun control laws as well as the rest of us. They are sometimes exempt from certain laws, sometimes not. The gun controls laws in MN and WA are an example. Laws in these states recently changed to greatly ease controls on the police as far as some types of firearms are concerned.
Yeah, well, that's you. I'm far more concerned about civilian gun ownership than I am about police and military. When I talk about gun control, I talk about civilian gun ownership. I'm perfectly happy for the police and military to have guns. They have proper training and regulation.
Old 4th August 2015, 05:50 AM   #158
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

10 guns seized in Theodore

Quote:
Members from ACT Policing’s Tuggeranong and Woden Patrol’s, together with members from the Crime Reduction Team, conducted a series of search warrants under section 194 of the Crimes Act 1900.

During the execution of the warrants, police seized ten firearms from a Theodore residence. These included a number of semi-automatic .22 calibre rifles, a sawn-off .22 calibre rifle, two shot guns and a .38 calibre revolver. Approximately 700 rounds of ammunition were also seized. (firearms pictured)

None of the firearms, nor the ammunition were stored in accordance with the Firearms Act 1996. In addition, the pistol was loaded, contrary to the Firearms Act 1996.
Old 4th August 2015, 05:58 AM   #159
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Demonstrator on way to Melbourne anti-Islamic rally had gun seized

Quote:
A far-right protester who was travelling to Melbourne to take part in anti-Islamic rallies at the weekend had a gun confiscated by police.

When arguing for the need for changed laws, [Victorian chief police commissioner] Ashton said a gun had been confiscated by New South Wales police from a bus carrying protesters. United Patriots Front (UPF) is the only known group that travelled from Sydney for the protests.

NSW police confirmed they confiscated a pistol from a 39-year-old man outside Central station on Friday night. The man is a registered gun owner and he was released while police investigated the safe keeping of the pistol.
Old 4th August 2015, 06:27 AM   #160
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Huge gun cache in Fisher

Right on my doorstep!
You Aussies can't even get that right, now this is a gun cache, and it's high quality too:

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/06/10/...letterman-case

For the uninitiated, the two rifles on bipods are SIG PE-57's - I've never seem two PE-57's at a time outside of Quantico and the ATF collection. They also seized a SIG AMT and a bunch of FAL rifle variants.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events