ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia issues , Australia politics

Old 9th November 2015, 10:12 PM   #321
devnull
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Rapid-fire weapons have a higher inherent risk than single-shot weapons.
To who?

Here's the thing - there is a constant equivocation here.

My lever .22 is no more dangerous than my friend's bolt .22, in our hands.

In the hands of a criminal, I agree, it would be more dangerous. But my rifle isnt in the hands of a criminal. It's safely locked away in my cabinet.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2015, 12:49 AM   #322
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
To who?
To the public.

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Here's the thing - there is a constant equivocation here.

My lever .22 is no more dangerous than my friend's bolt .22, in our hands.

In the hands of a criminal, I agree, it would be more dangerous. But my rifle isnt in the hands of a criminal. It's safely locked away in my cabinet.
Yeah, well see here's the thing. It's not about you. It's about public safety and risk management. Individual testimonies don't enter into the equation.
Old 10th November 2015, 02:57 AM   #323
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Clappy icon and nod of agreement
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2015, 11:08 AM   #324
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

To the public.

Yeah, well see here's the thing. It's not about you. It's about public safety and risk management. Individual testimonies don't enter into the equation.
Unless they support the narrative you support.

I believe referencing "thousands of kids" murdered in schools is your individual testimony, not fact.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2015, 01:09 AM   #325
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Unless they support the narrative you support.

I believe referencing "thousands of kids" murdered in schools is your individual testimony, not fact.
And I was corrected on the actual number, after which I looked at (and posted) the evidence which supports the statement.

"Thousands of kids" is a statistic, it's not an individual anecdote.

In fact, I have absolutely no clue what the hell you're saying, or why.
Old 5th December 2015, 12:13 AM   #326
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The woeful firearms of gun control

Quote:
AS ONCE again American gun advocates make their grisly sales pitch for unrestricted firearms no matter the bloodstained cost I thought it would be illustrative to take a look through our favourite guns seized by ACT Policing in the last couple of years.
Click for photos. It should be noted that this isn't a representative sample, just the ones that the author of the article considered their "favourites".
Old 19th January 2016, 07:43 PM   #327
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Shooting overnight in Queanbeyan

A shocking story hit my newsfeed this morning about an incident that occurred overnight in Queanbeyan. For those who aren't geographically in the know, Queanbeyan is very close to Canberra - it would be part of Canberra if it weren't for that pesky ACT-NSW border in the way. It's a small, country town (pop approx 40,000) that has a reputation for cheap housing and boganism.

Quote:
About 12.55am (Wednesday 20 January 2016) police were called to a home on Fergus Road, Karabar, after a shot was fired at the front of the home.

The projectile hit the front of the home.

The occupants, a 31-year-old man, an 18-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl, were all uninjured.
What are we coming to with all this rampant gun violence?
Old 13th April 2016, 02:27 AM   #328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I get lots of Canberra stories because it's where I am.

Guns and bayonets in South Canberra haul

Quote:
Police searched the residence and located a fully loaded revolver, eight long arm rifles, two double barrel shotguns, 16 bayonets and in excess of 8,000 rounds of ammunition.

The 63-year-old man held a firearms license however he was not authorised to possess some firearms which were located at the residence. The firearms, nor the ammunition were stored in accordance with the Firearms Act 1996. In addition, the revolver was loaded, contrary to the Firearms Act 1996.

Police also located a number of barrels, stocks, bolts and other assorted parts from which further firearms could be assembled.
Old 24th May 2016, 04:38 PM   #329
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Something not from Canberra. I got this from trending topics in Facebook.

Interesting that a story like this trends in Australia, whereas in America, if it is acknowledged at all, is acknowledged as "another Wednesday".

Witness Appeal Following Bacchus Marsh Shooting

Quote:
Homicide Squad detectives are appealing for public assistance following the fatal shooting of a man in Bacchus Marsh this morning.

Emergency services were called to Labilliere Street just before 8.20am after a man in a vehicle sustained a gunshot to the head.

The man died at the scene and is yet to be formally identified however he is believed to be a 48-year-old from Bacchus Marsh.
Old 25th May 2016, 05:35 PM   #330
Beanbag
Illuminator

Huge gun cache in Fisher

Right on my doorstep!
Huge? Hell, that wouldn't even rate as a "small" collection 'round hyar.

I suppose it depends on what's considered normal. In the UK and Australia, I guess that WOULD be considered an arsenal of doom.

In this case, I'll concede that the number of items isn't important. What's important is that they are illegal in that jurisdiction. All kidding aside, --IF-- I were to emigrate to Au, I'd follow the laws. Just like I do here.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2016, 05:39 PM   #331
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Beanbag View Post

I suppose it depends on what's considered normal. In the UK and Australia, I guess that WOULD be considered an arsenal of doom.

In this case, I'll concede that the number of items isn't important. What's important is that they are illegal in that jurisdiction. All kidding aside, --IF-- I were to emigrate to Au, I'd follow the laws. Just like I do here.

Beanbag
I've had people state on this very forum that they would never even visit Australia because they wouldn't be able to carry their gun while here. Actually, to be fair it was only one person.
Old 25th May 2016, 08:35 PM   #332
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Beanbag View Post

Beanbag
I have more than that, I guess to the media a "huge cache" is anything greater than 1.

The one second from the right is an air rifle.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:55 AM   #333
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Interesting that it's the post from a year ago that's suddenly getting comments.
Old 26th May 2016, 07:45 AM   #334
SteveL
Scholar

Interesting that it's the post from a year ago that's suddenly getting comments.
You've bumped this thread 5 times in the last 6 months. This may have been the first time Beanbag has seen it. If you don't want comments, why keep it active?
SteveL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2016, 03:46 PM   #335
Beanbag
Illuminator

I just found it interesting that what other countries consider "huge" is considered "meh" here. But if owning even one firearm is considered atypical, then more than one would be, I suppose, considered REALLY excessive.

I --THINK-- I have roughly 600 rounds of .308 ammo, but that's because I found a good deal on some military ammo in 400-round "battle packs," sealed for long-term storage. I bought two, shot (roughly) 200 rounds out of one, and have the other one intact.

Maybe 200 rounds of .380 Auto. Most is plain hardball for target shooting, though I do have maybe 25 rounds of "home defense" hollowpoints.

Maybe 300 rounds of 9mm, mostly hardball, but again some hollowpoint ammo of varying flavors, including a magazine full of the dreaded Black Talon rounds that everyone was so frightened of a few years back (didn't buy them, but was given to me by a friend in law enforcement).

I would guess maybe 400-500 rounds of .22 Long Rifle, and about 300 rounds of .22 Short. I got the Shorts when I was passed my father's guns.

50 rounds of .45 Long Colt for my single-action Colt revolver (complete with a set of leathers and tie-down straps).

And lastly, probably 75 rounds of 12-gauge ammo. Maybe ten rounds 00 Buck, about the same number of slugs, and the rest a mix of #4 shot and #7 shot.

In some societies, that makes me a gun nut, I suppose. Locally, it means I hit the range maybe every other month. And all of it -- ammo and firearms -- are responsibly locked away in a couple of gun safes when not being used or tended to.

THAT is what I consider Responsible Gun Ownership.

Now please kindly quit lumping me with idiots who shoot four-year-old kids for jumping on the bed.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2016, 03:58 PM   #336
Beanbag
Illuminator

I've had people state on this very forum that they would never even visit Australia because they wouldn't be able to carry their gun while here. Actually, to be fair it was only one person.
I visit lots of places where I can't carry a gun.

Yeah, I suppose you'll find the occasional parochial-minded person who objects to being unarmed.

Perhaps it's because I'm familiar with firearms that they don't scare me. I --DO-- respect them.

(I like to think) I have a fairly good idea of what they can and can't do, so while statistically an armed person DOES have an advantage, I know it's not that great, and that there's a roughly 30% chance that the armed persons will injure themselves.

I'll remind myself of the preceding paragraph when someone pulls a gun on me and I wet the floor.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

Old 26th May 2016, 06:00 PM   #337
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
You've bumped this thread 5 times in the last 6 months. This may have been the first time Beanbag has seen it. If you don't want comments, why keep it active?
Because new things happen from time to time. Most of the time, I would have expected comments to occur on the most recent article posted.

Anyway, I didn't complain, or say that it was a problem, only that it was interesting. Interesting things are good, right?
Old 21st July 2017, 09:23 PM   #338
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Canberra bikie feud escalates as shots fired next to childcare centre

Quote:
Bullets believed to be fired by a pair of bikies came within centimetres of a sleeping person in what appears to be Canberra's latest outbreak of gang violence.

A feud between rival groups is threatening to spill into an all-out war, after a third shooting in less than a fortnight — this time in the Tuggeranong suburb of Isabella Plains.

Neighbours heard "six or seven" shots in Ellerston Avenue at 1:00am...

...Officers are now hunting for two men who were armed with a shotgun and handgun and were seen fleeing the scene in a silver hatchback.
For those who aren't familiar with Australian vernacular, a "bikie" is a member of a Outlaw Motorcycle Gang (aka OMCG, not OMG for obvious reasons...). Not all motorcycle enthusiast clubs are criminal gangs, so not all members of such clubs are bikies. Canberra, like many cities in Australia, is the home of members of several gangs including Comancheros and Nomads.

And before you try to claim "oh, this is a gang problem, not a gun problem", which is an argument that I've seen before, let me say that it's both. Illegal gangs have illegal guns. We should be tackling both problems.
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:15 PM   #339
Ranb
Philosopher

So are the authorities there still cracking down (if I remember correctly) on the wearing of club colors?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:09 PM   #340
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So are the authorities there still cracking down (if I remember correctly) on the wearing of club colors?
Still? They didn't really even start. A report recently tabled in the NSW Parliament in short concludes,
Despite the concerted efforts of a dedicated unit within the Gangs Squad of the NSW Police Force, which spent over three years preparing applications in preparation for declarations under the 2012
Act, no application has yet been brought to Court. As a result, no organisation has been declared to be a criminal organisation under the scheme. The NSW Police Force advised us that work on these
applications ceased in 2015, and that it does not intend to resource such work in the future.
Police in other states and territories have experienced similar difficulties in successfully implementing comparable legislation.
In my view, given the problems identified by police that have prevented them from exercising the powers under this Act, and the fact that police have alternative powers to disrupt the activities of criminal organisations, it would be in the public interest for the Act to be repealed.
It was only, and ever, politicians posturing and wasting time and money.
Prior to the Act(s), state police had sufficient powers to investigate and prosecute these, and other, criminal gangs - a fact that most commentators at the time acknowledged.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 22nd July 2017 at 11:10 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 01:24 AM   #341
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, the article refers to events in the ACT, not in NSW, which never really even had any political posturing about that.
Old 23rd July 2017, 01:30 AM   #342
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's illegal for gangs to wear their colours in public in South Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-2...police/7204274

Last edited by novaphile; 23rd July 2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added link to relevant news article
novaphile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 01:47 AM   #343
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935

Quote:
83E—Participation in criminal organisation
(1) A person who participates in a criminal organisation—
(a) knowing that, or being reckless as to whether, it is a criminal organisation;
and
(b) knowing that, or being reckless as to whether, his or her participation in that organisation contributes to the occurrence of any criminal activity,
is guilty of an offence.

(7) For the purposes of this section, a person is presumed, in the absence of proof to the contrary, to be knowingly participating in an organisation at a particular time if the person is, at that time, displaying (whether on an article of clothing, as a tattoo or otherwise) the insignia of that organisation.
Note that criminal organisations are defined elsewhere in the Act.
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:03 PM   #344
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
It's illegal for gangs to wear their colours in public in South Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-2...police/7204274
From that article,
Commissioner Stevens said bikie numbers had reduced, but that was likely to be a result of ageing membership rather than the tougher laws.
So not really much of a contradiction of the NSW Parliamentary paper I posted up thread indicating that the law was practically unenforceable and next to useless.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 11:07 PM   #345
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We've got our very own wannabe NRA.

Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia: Gun lobby 'muscles up' in bid to change post-Port Arthur gun laws

Quote:
A gun industry lobby group backed by five of the largest Australian firearms wholesalers has declared its intention to intervene in state and federal elections to hold governments "accountable for the decisions they make".

The Shooting Industry Foundation of Australia (SIFA)'s corporate members have bankrolled its activities with more than $1.2 million since late 2014.

Its members are directors of local firms Nioa — which calls itself Australia's largest privately-owned supplier of small arms and ammunition — Raytrade, Outdoor Sporting Agencies and the Australian offshoots of international gun manufacturers Winchester and Beretta.

SIFA is leading a fresh bid to lobby governments over gun laws, 22 years after the Port Arthur massacre which saw the states and territories sign up to the National Firearms Agreement.

It has sponsored "shooting days" for federal politicians and donated tens of thousands of dollars to firearms-friendly political parties.
Old 22nd October 2018, 03:21 PM   #346
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And toxic males with guns.

Queensland minister receives rape threats after opposing Christmas gun billboard

Quote:
A senior Queensland Government minister was targeted with rape and death threats after complaining about a billboard in her electorate that suggested a handgun would make a good Christmas present.

Queensland Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch complained about the billboard advertisement by firearms retailer Gun World three weeks before last year's state election.

The advertisement featured a smiling woman dressed in a Santa-themed outfit holding a handgun with the slogan: "Santa knows what you really want for Christmas".

Ms Enoch — who was small business minister at the time — posted a petition on her Facebook page calling for the billboard's removal because "it does not reflect the kind of community we want to live in — one that is free of guns".

"My first reaction to it was one of horror," she told ABC's Four Corners program.

"This is really diminishing the value, the importance of, the responsibility of, gun ownership."

Her post attracted over 3,000 comments.

Among them was: "Let someone break into your house and rape and kill you"; "Someone shoot this bitch"; and "Remember that while being raped".
Old 22nd October 2018, 03:46 PM   #347
mikado
Graduate Poster

She's getting quite some support on her Facebook page
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:56 PM   #348
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Man faces gun, drug charges after Geelong mother shot dead

Quote:
A man has been charged with drug and firearms offences after a mother of four was shot dead in Geelong, in Victoria, on Wednesday night.

Police and emergency services were called to Conrad Court in Geelong suburb of Whittington where Emily Miller, 31, was found with a gunshot wound to her stomach.

Ms Miller died later as a result of her injuries.

Police will allege the 25-year-old man — who has been charged with possessing a prohibited firearm, as well as trafficking and possessing heroin — was present at the house during the shooting.
My niece and her husband live in Geelong.
Old 22nd November 2018, 05:58 PM   #349
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Man dies in Engadine after pointing gun at police and shooting another person in head

Quote:
An elderly man who pointed a gun at police officers outside a home in Sydney's south-west and shot another person in the head has killed himself during the standoff.

Police and paramedics were called to a home on Ridge Road, Engadine, at 7am after reports of gunshots.

It is understood the 81-year old pointed a gun at officers before killing himself.

Five ambulances and a helicopter were on the scene, but the man died.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:17 PM   #350
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This counts, I guess, but really nothing happened.

Argument over pub meals escalates with men getting shotgun, rifle from farms to sort out dispute, police say

Quote:
WA Police allege an argument over the wrong pub meal being sent to a table escalated into a fight in which guns were fired.

The altercation started at a pub in the small farming community of Gibson near Esperance on Western Australia's south coast on Friday night.

Sergeant Todd Pender alleges two groups fired up after the kitchen mishap.

"There were more arguments, which then ended up on social media that were basically, 'Let's meet at a pre-determined spot and we can sort this out'," Sergeant Pender said.

Police will allege the two groups grabbed a shotgun and a rifle from nearby farms before meeting to sort out their differences.

Sergeant Pender said during the argument shots were fired and then a fight broke out.

No-one was harmed by the firearms.
Alcohol and guns. Always a great combination.
Old 25th November 2018, 10:49 PM   #351
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

This counts, I guess, but really nothing happened.

Argument over pub meals escalates with men getting shotgun, rifle from farms to sort out dispute, police say

Alcohol and guns. Always a great combination.
In a public willy-waving contest, the winner is not the one with the biggest but the one who doesn't get it out in the first place.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2018, 02:21 PM   #352
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
In a public willy-waving contest, the winner is not the one with the biggest but the one who doesn't get it out in the first place.
Um, yeah. I think I agree with that.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:54 PM   #353
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Homemade submachine gun and parts found in raid, Toowoomba man facing weapons charges

Quote:
Queensland police are investigating whether a 52-year-old man charged with manufacturing a submachine gun had any links to organised crime.

Police raided a house in the Toowoomba suburb of Harristown on Thursday and found a shipping container with a large range of equipment inside.

Officers said they discovered manufactured weapon components, tools such as a drill press, grinders and welders, drawings, templates and a computer with manufacturing instructions.

Police said a quantity of methylamphetamine and smoking utensils were also found.
Old 10th January 2019, 11:11 PM   #354
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Weapons and drugs charges. And in Toowoomba, the Mt Druitt of SEQ. Wonder who turned him in.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events